Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354511 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #910 on: March 04, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
Yeah, I think RIP is the only remix that I actually can't bear to listen to over the original. All of the others have enough improvements to outweigh some of the bad decisions (I prefer the Needles & Pins song not be in front of Use the Man, for example).
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #911 on: March 04, 2011, 09:22:31 PM »
I had no idea that bass tapping in the remix of TNP was a clean guitar. Took a few listens, but yep, definitely guitar. :o

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #912 on: March 04, 2011, 09:41:34 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard the Cryptic Writings remaster.  The Youthanasia one is awesome, I'm so glad I don't have to hear that freaking shaker in every song.  Countdown... not so much.  There isn't really any point in remastering an already perfect album.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #913 on: March 04, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »
Shaker? When I think Youthanasia, I think REALLY LOUD BASS. It actually used to bother me when I was younger.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #914 on: March 05, 2011, 07:26:54 PM »
Shaker? When I think Youthanasia, I think REALLY LOUD BASS. It actually used to bother me when I was younger.

Yeah.  One of those ones with all the bearings on it that you turn around a cylinder-type thing.  I don't know what its called.  Once you hear it, you'll shit bricks.  And then you'll never be able to un-hear it.  

The bass never stood out for me, to be honest.

EDIT:  Its called a cabasa:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:32:20 PM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #915 on: March 05, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »
The cabasa's used on pretty much every song. :metalol:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #916 on: March 05, 2011, 11:11:24 PM »

Yeah!!  Totally ruined it for me once i noticed it!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #917 on: March 05, 2011, 11:13:01 PM »

I play percussion in school, so I always fool around with it. I noticed it immediately and laughed, because it was awesome.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #918 on: March 05, 2011, 11:15:26 PM »

I play percussion in school, so I always fool around with it. I noticed it immediately and laughed, because it was awesome.

:lol Well, I would've been about 8 when i first heard it and I didnt know what it was called; I just knew how annoying it was :D

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #919 on: March 05, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »
*Youtubes Cabasa*

Huh, wow.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #920 on: March 06, 2011, 12:53:45 AM »
Is the cabasa being played at the same time as the hi-hat? ...... Or is it the hi-hat? DUN DUN DUN

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #921 on: March 06, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »
From memory, its just on every beat, like a metronome.  Don't quote me on that.  On some of the faster ones I think its on the 2 and the 4 of every bar.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #922 on: March 17, 2011, 08:48:46 PM »
Former MEGADETH guitarist Marty Friedman, who moved to Japan in 2003, has released the following statement:

"Thank you all for your support and prayers. I am 100% fine, 100% healthy and in better shape than ever. However, there are many, many people here in Japan that are facing an unbelievable tragedy.

"It's time to go to the next step. I will be auctioning ALL of my guitars from the MEGADETH era and will donate 100% of the proceeds to the earthquake relief.

"I am going to L.A. right NOW to the climate controlled lockup where all the guitars have been in their cases since January 2000. All guitars I used on all the MEGADETH recordings, tours, videos, everything WILL be auctioned off.

"When I get to the lockup, I will do my best to sort out which was used for what (I suck at that...I'm sure many of you guys know better than I do) and notate as many details as possible. Pictures, descriptions and how to bid will all be up on my U.S. website as well as my Japanese website within 2-3 days.

"I have NEVER sold ANY of my guitars before; this is the only way these guitars will leave my possession. I urge you to please spread the word and most of all BID HIGH. You will be putting a huge deposit in the 'karma bank' and have some pretty cool guitars to show for it. DO IT!"

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: March 17, 2011, 11:40:06 PM »
Wow, that's crazy! What an awesome guy!
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #924 on: March 18, 2011, 01:14:37 AM »
I opened this thread to say that I listened to Youthanasia last night, and that I should listen to it more often, but that ^ is pretty honorable. Marty is a good guy.

Offline Cerebral_Eulogy

« Reply #925 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:03 PM »
I guess Dave Mustaine had a kidney stone during their show in St. Petersburg, Russia the other night. 

He still got up in excruciating pain and performed six songs for the crowd, and then Slayer played an extended set. 

For anyone who's ever had a kidney stone, they know that this must have been absolute hell for him to do this.  Kudos Dave!
I'm Commander Sheppard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: March 19, 2011, 01:08:25 AM »
I like Marty Friedman Megadeth solos a lot, he always matched the song vibe and was always refreshingly creative.
I have two of his solo post-Megadeth albums though and they are awful, the more recent one has a really bad rendition of Tornado of Souls.
He had one song collaboration with Petrucci on one of these albums, wasn't anything special.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #927 on: March 19, 2011, 11:10:12 PM »
I guess Dave Mustaine had a kidney stone during their show in St. Petersburg, Russia the other night. 

He still got up in excruciating pain and performed six songs for the crowd, and then Slayer played an extended set. 

For anyone who's ever had a kidney stone, they know that this must have been absolute hell for him to do this.  Kudos Dave!
Fuck.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #929 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:56 PM »

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #930 on: March 21, 2011, 07:02:20 PM »
^Fuck. I remember years ago I really wanted my own Kelly. Much prefer his RIP/CTE/Youth/touring guitar now. That's weird to us but it's probably no problem for him to get rid of his old stuff he'll never use again. It's maybe like seeing your old toys in the basement then having to get rid of them for any reason.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #931 on: March 21, 2011, 07:19:07 PM »
^Fuck. I remember years ago I really wanted my own Kelly. Much prefer his RIP/CTE/Youth/touring guitar now. That's weird to us but it's probably no problem for him to get rid of his old stuff he'll never use again. It's maybe like seeing your old toys in the basement then having to get rid of them for any reason.

If not for the earthquakes, he wouldn't be getting rid of them. He said this is the only way they're leaving his possession.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #932 on: March 22, 2011, 08:06:18 PM »
FORGIVE ME FATHER
FOR I HAVE SINNED
I'M A CHILD OF THE AIR
I'M A WITCH OF THE WIND...

AND I'M STILL WIDE AWAKE

MAAAAAAAARY JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE
:2metal:

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: March 22, 2011, 09:52:04 PM »
Yep.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #934 on: March 22, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #935 on: March 23, 2011, 07:22:56 AM »
FORGIVE ME FATHER
FOR I HAVE SINNED
I'M A CHILD OF THE AIR
I'M A WITCH OF THE WIND...

AND I'M STILL WIDE AWAKE[/b

It's about time Mary Jane gets some damn love. That song is GREAT. Top 5 Megadeth song for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: March 23, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »
Mary Jane is indeed a great song. The bridge riff where the song kicks into high gear is one of the best I've ever heard.

IF I KNOW I'M GOING CRAZY
I MUST NOT BE INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE

:umh:
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #937 on: March 23, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
How does everyone feel about So Far So Good So What? It doesn't seem to get much love. It's my personal favorite. I really got into Megadeth when it came out. The only throwaway track is Anarchy, and 502 is OK, but evertything else is gold.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:35 PM »
I like it. I'd rank it roughly in the middle of Megadeth's albums.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: March 23, 2011, 03:56:51 PM »
SFSGSW is definitely in the top half of my favorite Megadeth albums. I like it a hair more than Peace Sells but a hair less than Rust in Peace.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #940 on: March 23, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »

Rock... and roll.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #941 on: March 23, 2011, 08:44:32 PM »
Best songs on SFSGSW are Darkest Hour, Hook In Mouth, and Set The World Afire

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: March 23, 2011, 10:35:56 PM »
Best songs on SFSGSW are Darkest Hour, Hook In Mouth, and Set The World Afire

Gross.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #943 on: March 23, 2011, 11:04:27 PM »

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member