Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 355050 times)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #630 on: November 12, 2010, 01:16:44 AM »
I listened to The System Has Failed today, and for the first time I think it's a good album. Not a bad effort at all after almost being put out of a musical career just a year and a half earlier!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #631 on: November 12, 2010, 04:19:45 AM »
Dave Mustaine and Layne Staley's voices are about as bad as each others, bros.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #632 on: November 12, 2010, 05:19:51 AM »

No. Not at all.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #633 on: November 12, 2010, 04:49:59 PM »
Anyone notice that in Sleepwalker @ 3:20 the riff there is very similar to a riff Take No Prisoners? That was pretty cool to hear again. I forgot about that.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #634 on: November 12, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
Dave Mustaine is a not a good singer. He has a cool voice and it fits for Megadeth. But by all means, he is NOT a good singer.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #635 on: November 12, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
Dave Mustaine is a not a good singer. He has a cool voice and it fits for Megadeth. But by all means, he is NOT a good singer.
This is what I was trying to say earlier.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #636 on: November 12, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
Most of the songs on Risk disagree with you.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #637 on: November 12, 2010, 07:11:02 PM »
How the fuck did Layne Staley get into this thread?

Anyways, Layne > Dave easily. In fact, I'd classify him as a pretty decent vocalist. Not the best, but there are far worse out there.

Agreed.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: November 12, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: November 12, 2010, 09:48:14 PM »
Regarding Risk, it's actually a pretty good album if you take the time to enjoy it. If you learn to separate it from the sound Megadeth is known for and just think of it as a hard rock album, you'll enjoy it a lot more.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: November 12, 2010, 11:39:53 PM »
That's absolutely true.

But, like my post above indicates, Youthanasia is clearly the best them.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #641 on: November 12, 2010, 11:46:43 PM »
Listened to "Countdown to Extinction" for the 1st time in months today.
 :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #642 on: November 13, 2010, 01:54:21 AM »
But, like my post above indicates, Youthanasia is clearly the best them.

Truth, my brother.  Truth.

Mustaine's voice peaked at Youth/Countdown and has gotten steadily worse ever since.

Just got the live Rust in Peace CD/DVD.  Was pretty impressed with Mustaine's vocal, though I suspect its rather heavily overdubbed.  Which I don't mind too much, as long as it makes for a more pleasurable listening experience.  Mustaine is pretty much the worst frontman as well.  Broderick and Ellefson do most of the work when it comes to engaging with the crowd.

Mind you, if I had to play super-tech riffs and sing over the top of them, I wouldn't have time to molest the crowd either.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: November 13, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »
I have to say, I don't understand all the hate towards Mustaine's voice. I think it works well for the style of music that Megadeth plays, and even on albums as recent as Endgame, it still sounds good. That being said, I am fully aware of the decline his voice has taken in live performances in recent years.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #644 on: November 13, 2010, 04:18:35 PM »
I listened to The System Has Failed today, and for the first time I think it's a good album. Not a bad effort at all after almost being put out of a musical career just a year and a half earlier!
This; I think it's great!

How the fuck did Layne Staley get into this thread?

Anyways, Layne > Dave easily. In fact, I'd classify him as a pretty decent vocalist. Not the best, but there are far worse out there.

Agreed.
This

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #645 on: November 17, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »
Just bought the Rust In Peace Blu-ray. Overdubbed indeed, but this DVD rocks :metal

EDIT: My only complaint is not enough Chris Broderick footage. He'll be soloing his face off and the camera won't show 'em.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: November 17, 2010, 04:21:18 PM »
What parts are overdubbed? I have the DVD and I'm curious.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #647 on: November 17, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »
I have to say, I don't understand all the hate towards Mustaine's voice. I think it works well for the style of music that Megadeth plays, and even on albums as recent as Endgame, it still sounds good. That being said, I am fully aware of the decline his voice has taken in live performances in recent years.

There is no hate.  Yes, his voice sounds good and goes well with the music.  It is one of the trademarks of the Megadeth sound.  But that being said, Dave is simply not a "good singer."  He knows it.  The fans generally know it.  His peers know it.  That's not hate, especially since, again, fans love his voice.  But that doesn't make him a good singer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #648 on: November 17, 2010, 04:31:35 PM »
While I don't have confirmation, I think Dave's voice is heavily overdubbed.

1) He sounds too good compared to all of the live recordings I've seen/heard on YouTube
2) Mouth isn't lining up with certain words. Time stamps will come with time.

I know this isn't news to a lot of people, nor does it bother me. The DVD is just plain rocking and feeds my eternal love for Megadeth nostalgia.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #649 on: November 17, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »
While I don't have confirmation, I think Dave's voice is heavily overdubbed.

1) He sounds too good compared to all of the live recordings I've seen/heard on YouTube
2) Mouth isn't lining up with certain words. Time stamps will come with time.

I know this isn't news to a lot of people, nor does it bother me. The DVD is just plain rocking and feeds my eternal love for Megadeth nostalgia.

Yeah I got the feeling a lot of Dave's vocals were overdubbed.  But I'd rather him do that then leave crappy vocals on, like Train of Consequences and Devils Island on Rude Awakening.  Ugh. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: November 17, 2010, 05:01:37 PM »
In fairness on older DVD's certain things look overdubbed.  I think most of the time he just sings with his mouth mostly closed so it looks like it's been overdubbed.  I've only watched Rust in Peace live once though, so I can't really comment.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #651 on: November 17, 2010, 05:49:50 PM »
I have the original mix of RiP and the remaster and I have to say, all the changes made on the remaster are rubbish.  I much prefer Dave's vocals on the original.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: November 17, 2010, 07:06:10 PM »

One of their best albums, easily.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #653 on: November 17, 2010, 07:15:38 PM »

Dunno, I think it has quite a few too many songs that are not bad by any means but really have nothing special going for them.

Not bad by any means, though.  I do like Kick the Chair and Of Mice and Men is a pretty cool song. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: November 17, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »

yeah, I think it's one of their best too.  Having Chris Poland back on lead helped too.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #655 on: November 17, 2010, 09:18:05 PM »

Dunno, I think it has quite a few too many songs that are not bad by any means but really have nothing special going for them.

Not bad by any means, though.  I do like Kick the Chair and Of Mice and Men is a pretty cool song. 

yeah, I think it's one of their best too.  Having Chris Poland back on lead helped too.

Just replying to all you guys --- Now that the subject is back, I listened to UA and EG as well. I finished the book last week at the same time. I've concluded that while each album is an effort for the Megadeth comeback since his injury, TSHS is the best out of them after TWNAH. UA is better than EG. I didn't feel any spart to the most of the record, oh well. At least I like UA this time more than I ever have, and TSHS. EG is okay, but the weakest out of said three. But anyway, Dave's been making the effort to continue with his career since the injury which is great. Blackmail The Universe is a fucking heavy song, maybe the heaviest since like... Rust In Peace? All we're getting is one more record, then he's retiring from Megadeth. I think he still has it in him.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: November 18, 2010, 12:35:46 AM »
TSHS = The System Has...Sailed?

All we're getting is one more record, then he's retiring from Megadeth. I think he still has it in him.

What are you referring to here?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #657 on: November 18, 2010, 03:12:07 AM »

All we're getting is one more record, then he's retiring from Megadeth. I think he still has it in him.

Well that was confusing :\ TSHF I meant lol :D
So Dave has basically stated before he's got one more record to do with Megadeth before he's completed his contract. After that, he's retiring to do some work at his studio I think. Teaching kids or something. It's in an older issue of GuitarWorld I have.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #658 on: November 18, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »
The SPNKr Has Failed
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: November 18, 2010, 10:11:43 AM »

So Dave has basically stated before he's got one more record to do with Megadeth before he's completed his contract. After that, he's retiring to do some work at his studio I think. Teaching kids or something. It's in an older issue of GuitarWorld I have.

Well that's rather disappointing.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #660 on: November 18, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »

Well that's rather disappointing.

Dave's been saying that for years. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #661 on: November 18, 2010, 02:23:25 PM »
Well, Megadeth was supposed to end on Rude Awakening, and look what happened.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: November 18, 2010, 03:03:42 PM »

Just replying to all you guys --- Now that the subject is back, I listened to UA and EG as well. I finished the book last week at the same time. I've concluded that while each album is an effort for the Megadeth comeback since his injury, TSHS is the best out of them after TWNAH. UA is better than EG. I didn't feel any spart to the most of the record, oh well. At least I like UA this time more than I ever have, and TSHS. EG is okay, but the weakest out of said three. But anyway, Dave's been making the effort to continue with his career since the injury which is great. Blackmail The Universe is a fucking heavy song, maybe the heaviest since like... Rust In Peace? All we're getting is one more record, then he's retiring from Megadeth. I think he still has it in him.

TSHF is easily the best of the three.  EG is by far one of Megadeth's weakest records all together.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #663 on: November 18, 2010, 04:58:50 PM »
I feel just the opposite. To me, Endgame ranks as my #3 Megadeth album after SFSGSW and RIP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: November 18, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »
I feel just the opposite. To me, Endgame ranks as my #3 Megadeth album after SFSGSW and RIP.

Wow, really? That's really high praise. Although I guess it isn't entirely surprising given your rankings; I actually find Endgame and SFSGSW to be very similar stylistically.