Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354465 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #385 on: August 25, 2010, 11:35:34 AM »
Killing is My Business is such an awesome album.
Can we agree probably the best debut album from any of the big 4?
It's not even close to Kill 'Em All. What are you talking about?
I agree with this

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #386 on: August 25, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »
Killing is My Business is such an awesome album.
Can we agree probably the best debut album from any of the big 4?
It's not even close to Kill 'Em All. What are you talking about?
Quite right. KIMB is about 50 times better.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #387 on: August 25, 2010, 03:35:42 PM »
UMH, I think you posted in the wrong thread. The Offbeat Opinions is down the page. Now I like Megadeth as much as the next guy, but KIMB is a garbled mess.

KIMB is why I never took Megadeth seriously back in the mid 80's. Hell, even Show No Mercy is better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: August 25, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
UMH, I think you posted in the wrong thread. The Offbeat Opinions is down the page. Now I like Megadeth as much as the next guy, but KIMB is a garbled mess.

KIMB is why I never took Megadeth seriously back in the mid 80's. Hell, even Show No Mercy is better.
If this is the case I'll have to direct you to the same place.  ;)
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: August 25, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
Meet ya there! :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #390 on: August 25, 2010, 04:04:39 PM »
I actually came in here to post that Show No Mercy beats KIMB but I see that TAC beat me to it :tup
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: August 25, 2010, 04:05:57 PM »
I actually came in here to post that Show No Mercy beats KIMB but I see that TAC beat me to it :tup
As usual, old man! :P

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #392 on: August 25, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! is just like their business, good.
Kill 'Em All is awesome.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #393 on: August 25, 2010, 10:26:21 PM »
I'd take KIMB over KEA any day.  Sure the production on KIMB is pretty shoddy, but the quality of songs is much better, IMO.

There was something I was thinking about Megadeth today that I was supposed to put in this thread... but I've forgotten it.  Dang.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I remember now:

YOUTHANASIA IS THE BEST THEM!!!!!
The outro of Reckoning Day where everything fades out and the drums still beating every second bar is so freaking badass its not funny.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: August 26, 2010, 04:12:00 AM »
KIMB is a bad debut album that contains one of my top 3 megadeth songs..
MEAN AND INFECTIOUS!!!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: August 26, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »
FYI, for all the droogies in here, I'm going to be starting a Megadeth survivor shortly so I hope you'll all come out to vote.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #396 on: August 26, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
Only ones I can't vote during are Risk, Cryptic Writings, and United Abominations. I'll be avidly participating in all others though. :tup

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: August 26, 2010, 11:31:57 AM »
Only ones I can't vote during are Risk, Cryptic Writings, and United Abominations. I'll be avidly participating in all others though. :tup

I can understand why you might not be able to vote during the Risk and Cryptic Writings rounds, but you really need to listen to United Abominations. Including Endgame, it's their strongest album since Countdown to Extinction IMO.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #398 on: August 26, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »
I've heard cumulatively probably half of it, and know that it's great, I just don't have it yet. It'll probably be by next Megadeth CD purchase though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #399 on: August 26, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »
Megadeth is really a hit & miss band for me.  I classify their albums this way.

REALLY like and would consider about as good as ANYTHING by just about ANY band in my collection:
-RIP
-Countdown
-Youthanasia
-Hidden Treasures
-Risk

Enjoy some songs every now and then:
-Cryptic Writings
-The World Needs a Hero

As far as the rest, the newer albums are okay, but never really grabbed me as a whole.  I still listen every now and then, but for some reason, these never really clicked with me.  The older albums pre-RIP never clicked either, but I prefer the new stuff to the old if I had to choose.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #400 on: August 26, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »
bösk1:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »
Yes, I know it's got an awesome album cover and a decent title track.  But otherwise, the album does little for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
 :|
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »
Yes, I know it's got an awesome album cover and a decent title track.  But otherwise, the album does little for me.
Whoa, man. That's pretty controversial.

Also,  :metal at the prospect of a Megs survivor.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »

I agree with Bosk, but I'll add Wake Up Dead and Devil's Island to this list of goodness.  The rest of the album never really clicked with me. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: August 26, 2010, 05:57:26 PM »

I agree with Bosk, but I'll add Wake Up Dead and Devil's Island to this list of goodness.  The rest of the album never really clicked with me. 
Good Mourning/Black Friday desperately wants a word with you.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #406 on: August 26, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
Haha.  Probably just didn't give the album a fair chance.  Wake Up Dead and Devil's Island I already loved after listening to Rude Awakening for like 6 months straight.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: August 26, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »
Give it a fair chance, for fuck's sake. It's so good.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »

ITS BLACK FRIDAY!
PAINT THE DEVIL ON THE WALL!
 :metal

Definitely one of Megadeth's best introductions to a song ever.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #409 on: August 26, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »

I can understand why you might not be able to vote during the Risk and Cryptic Writings rounds, but you really need to listen to United Abominations. Including Endgame, it's their strongest album since Countdown to Extinction IMO.
Ugh, United Abominations is awful.  Risk, OTOH, gets way too much crap and about half of Cryptic Writings is worth listening to. The other half? Meh.

Aside from "I Ain't Superstitious," that entire album is fantastic. It's probably the perfect thrash album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2010, 07:14:38 PM »
Regarding Peace Sells, My Last Words is my second fave Megadeth tune..after In My Darkest Hour.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2010, 07:41:15 PM »

Yeah, I like the live versions of those as well, but the album versions just sound flat to me.  Anyhow, I'm not saying it's a bad album.  Just doesn't do anything for me.  Part of it is probably the production.  Part is that the songwriting just isn't what I personally like.  Anyhow, doesn't matter.  They've got plenty of material that I do like.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2010, 07:44:54 PM »
The remaster is the way to go.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
The first 3 Megadeth albums are the only ones that benefitted from the catalogue remaster, IMO.  RiP onwards really didn't need any touching up, and I can't say I enjoy any of the remasters more than the original pressings.  The only good thing on the Youth remaster was that they got rid of that godawful shaker that was on pretty much EVERY FREAKING TRACK!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »
Speaking of Youth', Black Curtains is one of hte most overlooked moshalicious songs ever.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:13 PM »
The first 3 Megadeth albums are the only ones that benefitted from the catalogue remaster, IMO.  RiP onwards really didn't need any touching up, and I can't say I enjoy any of the remasters more than the original pressings.  The only good thing on the Youth remaster was that they got rid of that godawful shaker that was on pretty much EVERY FREAKING TRACK!

I like the shaker on the originals.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #416 on: August 26, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »
Random, but during the chorus of the original Mastermind, the growling voice that says "Mastermind" is cool.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2010, 11:25:03 PM »

I like the shaker on the originals.

Once you know its there, its so hard to not notice it.  Ruined the album for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2010, 11:27:19 PM »
Random, but during the chorus of the original Mastermind, the growling voice that says "Mastermind" is cool.

Mastermind might be the best song on Cryptic.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: August 26, 2010, 11:36:10 PM »
Disintegrators FTW