Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354872 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #315 on: July 31, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
 :lol to the overall combination of the last three posts

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #316 on: July 31, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
Once I found the Red Ranger and his cycle at Wal-Mart. I had it in my hands and was so happy, but as soon as I set it down, this kid came by and snatched it. I've regretted putting that toy down ever since..................................... :neverusethis:
:rollin
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #317 on: July 31, 2010, 07:07:02 PM »
Once I found the Red Ranger and his cycle at Wal-Mart. I had it in my hands and was so happy, but as soon as I set it down, this kid came by and snatched it. I've regretted putting that toy down ever since..................................... :neverusethis:

It was for your own good, you know.  You'd shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »
*snip*

Welcome back, buddy! Here to stay?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #319 on: August 02, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
I might have pit tickets for the next show in Phx.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #320 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:16 PM »
*snip*

Welcome back, buddy! Here to stay?

We'll see. Casual basis only as of now ;)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:35 PM »
I might have pit tickets for the next show in Phx.  :2metal:
:2metal:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #322 on: August 02, 2010, 10:08:56 PM »
I'm too broke to go to the Phoenix show. :(

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: August 02, 2010, 10:24:57 PM »
I'm almost just getting out of my four-month long concert debt of about $400.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #324 on: August 05, 2010, 11:49:43 AM »
Mustaine interview at Chapters in Toronto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THLGe4yrJ0s

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #325 on: August 05, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #326 on: August 05, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »
Well, there is a section at the beginning of When where it's spoken word, and Mustaine says "my prayers are never answered". I could see making a link, but musically, I don't see one. I can't think of another section on the entire album that sounds like the prayer section though.

I would sig that, but you need to be more eloquent with it. :p
Damnit now I need to listen to every Megadeth song to find the one so I can prove my point.  :sad:

Megadeth put the same prayer into a cover they did, you're right.   I think it was 'Go To Hell' or something?  I saw it on the VH1 Megadeth doco.
That's it! :44 of "Go To Hell" has the same prayer as "Enter Sandman".

Uh...you guys are aware, aren't you, that that is a commonly known children's prayer and has been around for a couple of hundred years?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Now_I_Lay_Me_Down_To_Sleep  Other than perhaps what is referred to as "the Lord's prayer," it is probably the most famous prayer in existence.  :lol

Oh, and a note to those who mentioned earlier in the thread that they think The World Needs A Hero is a weak album:  If you don't like the songwriting, I won't try to persuade you.  But at the very least, go back and listen to the album and focus just on the drums, and then come back and tell me Jimmy DeGrasso doesn't put on an absolute drum clinic on that album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: August 05, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
Oh, and a note to those who mentioned earlier in the thread that they think The World Needs A Hero is a weak album:  If you don't like the songwriting, I won't try to persuade you.  But at the very least, go back and listen to the album and focus just on the drums, and then come back and tell me Jimmy DeGrasso doesn't put on an absolute drum clinic on that album.

Seconded.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #328 on: August 05, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »

Oh, and a note to those who mentioned earlier in the thread that they think The World Needs A Hero is a weak album:  If you don't like the songwriting, I won't try to persuade you.  But at the very least, go back and listen to the album and focus just on the drums, and then come back and tell me Jimmy DeGrasso doesn't put on an absolute drum clinic on that album.

:tup

DeGrasso, IMO, was the best drummer Megadeth had.

He makes it look so effortless:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knURb5U5Rmk

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: August 05, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »
Cool video. Love that quip at the end: "Y'know, basic rudiments, really."

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #330 on: August 07, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »
I just chatted with Dave in the chat on Megadeth's website about 9 hours ago for 10 minutes. Just him, a chat mod and I. I was freaking out, I didn't know what to say, I could hardly type properly. Just had a casual conversation though. Asked each other how we're doing, asked where I was from etc...Then he was away for a minute because he was "getting something some fridge."  :lol

Funny thing is, is it's not even a chat to talk to the band, but it's been said Dave likes to go in the the non-band chat every once in a while to say hello.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:16:01 PM by Mave »

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #331 on: August 07, 2010, 12:14:59 PM »
I just chatted with Dave in the chat on Megadeth's website about 9 hours ago for 10 minutes. Just him, a chat mod and I. I was freaking out, I didn't know what to say, I could hardly type properly. Just had a casual conversation though. Asked each other how we're doing, asked where I was from etc...Then he was away for a minute because he was "getting something some fridge."  :lol

Funny thing is, is it's not even a chat to talk to the band, but it's been said Dave likes to go in the the non-band chat every once in a while to say hello.

Whoops

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: August 07, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »
Oh, and a note to those who mentioned earlier in the thread that they think The World Needs A Hero is a weak album:  If you don't like the songwriting, I won't try to persuade you.  But at the very least, go back and listen to the album and focus just on the drums, and then come back and tell me Jimmy DeGrasso doesn't put on an absolute drum clinic on that album.

Seconded.
Thirded.

Well, there is a section at the beginning of When where it's spoken word, and Mustaine says "my prayers are never answered". I could see making a link, but musically, I don't see one. I can't think of another section on the entire album that sounds like the prayer section though.

I would sig that, but you need to be more eloquent with it. :p
Damnit now I need to listen to every Megadeth song to find the one so I can prove my point.  :sad:

Megadeth put the same prayer into a cover they did, you're right.   I think it was 'Go To Hell' or something?  I saw it on the VH1 Megadeth doco.
That's it! :44 of "Go To Hell" has the same prayer as "Enter Sandman".

Uh...you guys are aware, aren't you, that that is a commonly known children's prayer and has been around for a couple of hundred years?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Now_I_Lay_Me_Down_To_Sleep  Other than perhaps what is referred to as "the Lord's prayer," it is probably the most famous prayer in existence.  :lol
I knew it was a legitimate prayer, but it's just funny how many coincidences there are when it comes to things like that when you compare Metallica's and Megadeth's music.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #333 on: August 07, 2010, 05:45:14 PM »

:metal

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #334 on: August 07, 2010, 06:02:07 PM »

:metal
That's awesome!

T-minus five days to seeing them!  :metal

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #335 on: August 08, 2010, 02:30:41 AM »
Best live recorded version of Holy Wars. Yes/yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIu6h-I4tmU

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #336 on: August 12, 2010, 04:10:39 PM »
Got a signed copy of Dave's autobiography. Finished reading it this afternoon; took a total of 3 days to read.

It's very in depth (as it should) and really makes you understand how and why Dave was, and how he's still trying to keep on the straight and narrow path today. I have to admit though, that most  of the significant events mentioned in the book, I pretty much knew about already, just not this much in depth. But there's also a lot of stories I didn't know about either.

I won't give too much away (mainly because I suck at writings reviews), but it's a really great book, regardless if I already knew some stuff. And to the the thick headed people who don't want to let go of his past and refuse to accept his positive present, this will be an eye opener for them.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #337 on: August 12, 2010, 04:11:27 PM »
Got a signed copy of Dave's autobiography. Finished reading it this afternoon; took a total of 3 days to read.

It's very in depth (as it should) and really makes you understand how and why Dave was, and how he's still trying to keep on the straight and narrow path today. I have to admit though, that most  of the significant events mentioned in the book, I pretty much knew about already, just not this much in depth. But there's also a lot of cool stories I didn't know about either.

I won't give too much away (mainly because I suck at writings reviews), but it's a really great book, regardless if I already knew some stuff. And to the the thick headed people who don't want to let go of his past and refuse to accept his positive present, this will be an eye opener for them.

Why do I always do that... :facepalm:

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: August 12, 2010, 04:28:20 PM »
Yeah, I'll probably pick it up the next time I get the chance.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #339 on: August 12, 2010, 04:43:33 PM »
Funny moments in the book too. Some because of the stories, and some how Dave narrates some stuff. :lol

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #340 on: August 13, 2010, 05:40:40 AM »
is the book worth it?
I'm thinking of picking it up.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #341 on: August 13, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »
I've got it too. It's definitely worth it if you like reading biographies of musicians. It's not well written or anything, but it's comedic and insightful and got me hooked on Megadeth for a few days (I've not really listened to them for years). It details the Metallica stuff, which was pretty cool.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #342 on: August 13, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
I got the biography today. Going to read through it in about 5 minutes, while spinning much Megadeth.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline CJkins

« Reply #343 on: August 13, 2010, 10:29:03 AM »

Dude, that's INSANE. Did he say something interesting? I wanna hear.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #344 on: August 14, 2010, 12:41:47 AM »

Dude, that's INSANE. Did he say something interesting? I wanna hear.

Naw, he didn't say anything interesting. The stuff you quoted from me is basically what he said to me. Then he was saying some other stuff to the chat mod, but I don't remember what.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #345 on: August 14, 2010, 12:45:45 AM »
I'll re read the book sometime. Probably not too soon, because I'm much too familiarized with it right now.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2010, 01:49:43 AM »
I got the biography today. Going to read through it in about 5 minutes, while spinning much Megadeth.

You can listen to music and read at the same time? I wish I could do that. 9 times out of 10, the music distracts me too much and I don't absorb what I'm reading.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2010, 01:51:49 AM »

You can listen to music and read at the same time? I wish I could do that. 9 times out of 10, the music distracts me too much and I don't absorb what I'm reading.

I'm the same, I need complete silence to be able to read. I've had concentration problems for many years though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2010, 04:36:47 AM »
I can read with music on very soft. This helps me focus more, as having a consistant wall of music, I find, is better than hearing foosteps and sneezing and coughing and whatever else from brother and mother.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
Saw them Thursday, it was fucking awesome! Dave sounded much better doing his 'snarls' live than he sounds in videos, like on "Tornado Of Souls" and the like. The songs they played after Rust In Peace kicked ass, and they surprised me a lot with one, which is one of my favorite Megadeth songs :metal. It really was a great show.