Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354240 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #3080 on: November 30, 2023, 03:44:13 PM »
Yeah, it must have been the money and the stability. I don't know his personal life but maybe he was starting / having a family already back then, so the money could have helped in that regard.

Also, Megadeth brings big stages and big tours, which musician would pass on that?

And while Dave Mustaine = Megadeth, at this point he should really consider getting a singer and stay on guitars, people would come to the show anyway as long as he's there. But it's probably too late to change now, it's not a reverse Gamma Ray situation where Ralph Scheepers was there for only three albums...

Funny you mention Gamma Ray as before the whole Helloween reunion happened, Kai stepped down and brought in that other bloke to be lead singer (Can't remember his name).  Would have been interesting to see how it developed but I guess Kai doesn't have the ego or self opinion of himself Dave would.  Kai's vocals also haven't diminished like Dave's has so it would definitely be something I think that the fans would embrace if Dave went that way, but it's Dave Mustaine.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3081 on: November 30, 2023, 07:17:51 PM »
All of what you guys say is true but in Dave's defence, it's not like what Kiko was signing up for in Megadeth would have been a surprise.  He knew what he was going into.
Right, which is part of the reason why I'm really surprised Kiko would leave his own band for another one, knowing that it was basically run by a dictator and that he would be very limited in a variety of ways. Just the fact that he's summed up his reason for leaving as "freedom" speaks volumes. Why would he have put himself in that position in the first place is what I struggle to understand.

The pay rise from Angra to Megadeth would have been far too good to pass up, you can't blame him for making the move.  It would have almost been silly for him not to jump ship.

Yeah, it must have been the money and the stability. I don't know his personal life but maybe he was starting / having a family already back then, so the money could have helped in that regard.

Also, Megadeth brings big stages and big tours, which musician would pass on that?

Yeah, I think this is it.  Kiko's been in Megadeth for the same reason Verbeuren has been, why Jeff Loomis is in Arch Enemy, why Chris Broderick went to In Flames rather than keeping on with Act of Defiance or going back to Jag Panzer.  It's not because they're the most challenging or artistically fulfilling gigs.  At some point some musicians get tired of struggling and just want a steady paycheck. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3082 on: November 30, 2023, 07:52:10 PM »
I had no idea about Brodrick in In Flames until I saw a live vid or something and was like, 'hang on.....what the fuck is he doing on stage with In Flames?!'  :lol  Such a random pairing and shows both Bjorn and Chris' character.  I mean, Chris is so far advanced of Bjorn technically speaking but no ego or anything from Bjorn and Chris just fitting in around Bjorn.  Seems to be working well.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3083 on: November 30, 2023, 08:12:09 PM »
Stability is not something I would think of when talking about somebody joining Megadeth, but maybe that's just me.  :lol

Totally understandable, especially for someone like his replacement Teemu who I had never heard of before. But it's not like Kiko wasn't in a sizable band before Megadeth. Angra may not have had quite the same level of popularity as Megadeth at least in North America, but I've always been under the impression that they have much more significant popularity in Europe and obviously South America (dunno about Asia/Oz). How that compares to Megadeth's audiences in those territories, I don't know, but I don't think the disparity would be as large.

Yeah, I think this is it.  Kiko's been in Megadeth for the same reason Verbeuren has been, why Jeff Loomis is in Arch Enemy, why Chris Broderick went to In Flames rather than keeping on with Act of Defiance or going back to Jag Panzer.  It's not because they're the most challenging or artistically fulfilling gigs.  At some point some musicians get tired of struggling and just want a steady paycheck.
Honestly, I know that Loomis and Broderick joined those bands, but that's about all I know about either one of them (OK, I know AE has a blue haired chick as their vocalist, too). Do either of them have the same notoriety that Megadeth has for having a dictator and a rotating door of supporting musicians?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3084 on: November 30, 2023, 08:17:59 PM »
I think Michael and Angela are pretty much the dictators of Arch Enemy, haven't really followed them the last few albums though but I think they have had their issues in the past perhaps?

In Flames all seem super chill having a good time doing their thing together after a decent semi comeback album.  Bjorn and Anders are obviously the bosses of the band but seem like really decent fellas.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3085 on: November 30, 2023, 09:28:57 PM »
I think Michael and Angela are pretty much the dictators of Arch Enemy, haven't really followed them the last few albums though but I think they have had their issues in the past perhaps?

To my knowledge, the only issue I've heard of was voiced by Warrel Dane when he was still alive.  Progpower USA was trying to book a Nevermore reunion and the one snag they hit was that Jeff's contract with Arch Enemy would not allow him to participate in the reunion.  Warrel wrote it once on the Nevermore forum and then deleted the post.  I think the same thing was said by his solo band's guitarist (Thiago?) after Warrel died.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3086 on: November 30, 2023, 09:35:47 PM »
Stability is not something I would think of when talking about somebody joining Megadeth, but maybe that's just me.  :lol

But he made it for quite a long time, so it was pretty stable.  And he (probably) didn't even get kicked out and could have stayed longer.

Totally understandable, especially for someone like his replacement Teemu who I had never heard of before. But it's not like Kiko wasn't in a sizable band before Megadeth. Angra may not have had quite the same level of popularity as Megadeth at least in North America, but I've always been under the impression that they have much more significant popularity in Europe and obviously South America (dunno about Asia/Oz). How that compares to Megadeth's audiences in those territories, I don't know, but I don't think the disparity would be as large.
I think the disparity is pretty large.  Angra is awesome, and I like them way better than Megadeth, but Megadeth is on another level as far as popularity goes.  You might correct me on this, but I think Megadeth is on at least a slightly higher level than Dream Theater is.  I think if they were at the same festival they'd be billed higher, and I think.  And Angra isn't really near Dream Theater.   I'm not saying Kiko or anyone in Angra was starving, but being in Megadeth certainly is more profitable and higher profile.  I doubt Kiko joined Megadeth solely for the paycheck - I think there were probably a number of factors.  More money, touring, bigger venues, sure.  But also more exposure and more doors being opened to him to further his career.  More contacts.  And also he was a fan, so it was probably a bit of a thrill.  And Marty Friedman's stuff, I've heard, is not easy to play so he probably was challenged and engaged.  Maybe he didn't get to do much songwriting but he probably learned a lot of things along the way.  He certainly increased his online presence a lot.

Aaaaand... I think he may have thought he'd still be able to do Angra somewhat, at least at first.  May have been wishful thinking, but I think he intended to be with Angra when he could, and Marcelo when he couldn't.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3087 on: December 01, 2023, 03:59:44 AM »

To my knowledge, the only issue I've heard of was voiced by Warrel Dane when he was still alive.  Progpower USA was trying to book a Nevermore reunion and the one snag they hit was that Jeff's contract with Arch Enemy would not allow him to participate in the reunion.  Warrel wrote it once on the Nevermore forum and then deleted the post.  I think the same thing was said by his solo band's guitarist (Thiago?) after Warrel died.

Yeah true, I remember that now you mentioned it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3088 on: December 01, 2023, 08:27:12 AM »
If Kiko ever returns to Angra (didn't someone mention in the MP thread that legally he's still a "member", at least for the bureocratic side of things?), at this point they should go the Iron Maiden route and use three guitarists.

Anyway, doesn't he live in Finland now, which is the reason why he knew his replacement to begin with? I mean, Angra has an italian singer but bringing back Kiko as he lives in Finland feels a bit too much.....

Yes, that was me. Paulo Baron (Angra's manager) was asked about the Kiko/Megadeth situation a few weeks ago and he said they are usually in touch because Kiko still is an active member of the Angra management. That makes total sense, since the only reason he left Angra was to join Megadeth, an opportunity not many would pass. There was no drama or any kind of hard feelings involved during that split, unlike with Aquiles or Edu as far as I know.

Now, funny that you mention the IM three guitarists thing, becasue IIRC Rafael said a few years ago they would totally go that route if Kiko ever wanted to come back. Now, I don't know how having a 6th member would affect their income, as Angra isn't the biggest band ever, but I imagine since Kiko is still part of their management, he probably still has some sort of fixed salary coming from the band. Maybe it'd be just the same thing, but with him actually "back" in the band writing, recording and touring full time.

I don't think he's going to join any major bands anytime soon, though, considering he still has those home priorities (his biggest responsibility) and then he's also finishing another solo album, if I'm not mistaken. However, I'd totally love to see him back with Angra, as that's a much more interesting band musically than Megadeth and I haven't been a huge fan of Marcelo's input with them overall. But now that you mention he's living in Finland it makes things a bit more complicated too. Wasn't he neighbors with Derek Sherinian in LA at some point?*

As for Megadeth, well... Dave is Megadeth and he's always going to be the only fixed member of the band. I have absolutely no doubt that they'll keep changing drummers, guitarists and now bassists every once in a while until Dave decides to retire. Also, the new guys in the band will always be the best players according to Dave :lol

*Here's hoping for a Derek, Kiko, Mangini project someday :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3089 on: December 01, 2023, 04:36:08 PM »
If Kiko ever returns to Angra (didn't someone mention in the MP thread that legally he's still a "member", at least for the bureocratic side of things?), at this point they should go the Iron Maiden route and use three guitarists.

Anyway, doesn't he live in Finland now, which is the reason why he knew his replacement to begin with? I mean, Angra has an italian singer but bringing back Kiko as he lives in Finland feels a bit too much.....

Yes, that was me. Paulo Baron (Angra's manager) was asked about the Kiko/Megadeth situation a few weeks ago and he said they are usually in touch because Kiko still is an active member of the Angra management. That makes total sense, since the only reason he left Angra was to join Megadeth, an opportunity not many would pass. There was no drama or any kind of hard feelings involved during that split, unlike with Aquiles or Edu as far as I know.

Now, funny that you mention the IM three guitarists thing, becasue IIRC Rafael said a few years ago they would totally go that route if Kiko ever wanted to come back. Now, I don't know how having a 6th member would affect their income, as Angra isn't the biggest band ever, but I imagine since Kiko is still part of their management, he probably still has some sort of fixed salary coming from the band. Maybe it'd be just the same thing, but with him actually "back" in the band writing, recording and touring full time.

I don't think he's going to join any major bands anytime soon, though, considering he still has those home priorities (his biggest responsibility) and then he's also finishing another solo album, if I'm not mistaken. However, I'd totally love to see him back with Angra, as that's a much more interesting band musically than Megadeth and I haven't been a huge fan of Marcelo's input with them overall. But now that you mention he's living in Finland it makes things a bit more complicated too. Wasn't he neighbors with Derek Sherinian in LA at some point?*

As for Megadeth, well... Dave is Megadeth and he's always going to be the only fixed member of the band. I have absolutely no doubt that they'll keep changing drummers, guitarists and now bassists every once in a while until Dave decides to retire. Also, the new guys in the band will always be the best players according to Dave :lol

*Here's hoping for a Derek, Kiko, Mangini project someday :P

This is just good business, I didn't know that.  Means he still had his toe in the water and could essentially do the Megadeth thing knowing if it didn't work out in the long run he wasn't totally left in the cold.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3090 on: February 02, 2024, 07:34:55 PM »
So I am solidifying my Megadeth album rankings. I'm giving the discography a full run through and I've been chronicling it in the Albums thread, but I figured I'd move it over here.

For some reason, I'm going backwards.

Finished my listen to the recent Megadeth releases.

I'd rate their last five releases like this:

1. Endgame
2. TSTD&TD
3. Dystopia
4. Supercollider
5. Thirteen

Gonna hit the TWNAH-TSHF-UA run this week.

The System Has Failed was the one that really made me take notice of Megadeth again.

OK, I hit these in the last two days..

I seem to be going backwards...

Updated rankings

1. Endgame
2. TSTD&TD
3. Dystopia
4. The System Has Failed
5. United Abominations
6. Supercollider
7. The World Needs A Hero
8. Thirteen

Just finished these...

Updated Rankings..

1. Endgame
2. TSTD&TD
3. Dystopia
4. The System Has Failed
5. United Abominations
6. Cryptic Writings
7. Supercollider
8. The World Needs A Hero
9. Thirteen
10. Risk
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3091 on: February 02, 2024, 07:45:20 PM »
1. Endgame
2. TSTD&TD
3. Dystopia
4. The System Has Failed
5. United Abominations
6. Cryptic Writings
7. Supercollider
8. The World Needs A Hero
9. Thirteen
10. Risk

I think this is pretty on point.  I'd have a few differences, but can't complain with this.  I'm surprised the new one is still in the second spot, it didn't age as well for me as I thought it would.

I always thought Risk was an okay album for what it is too.  There's some interesting songs IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3092 on: February 02, 2024, 07:48:46 PM »
  I'm surprised the new one is still in the second spot, it didn't age as well for me as I thought it would.

Well, I still have the KIMB-Youthanasia run to get through, and I know that at least two of those albums are going to surpass it.

I always thought Risk was an okay album for what it is too.  There's some interesting songs IMO.

Breadline being one of them. That song is pretty cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3093 on: February 02, 2024, 08:12:55 PM »
Yeah.....I kinda forgot about the rest for a moment.  :lol

Youthanasia is amazing!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3094 on: February 02, 2024, 08:18:28 PM »
I swore off Megadeth when Youthanasia came out. :lol
That was actually the last tour that I saw them.

It was quite the bill:
Megadeth
Korn (who fucking sucked!)
Flotsam & Jetsam
...and another band I don't remember

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3095 on: February 02, 2024, 08:28:19 PM »
I could understand I real time how it may have been a disappointment.  I love the melody throughout it.

Korn with those two bands is interesting.  Although I would have been when they were just starting out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3096 on: February 02, 2024, 08:31:48 PM »
I could understand I real time how it may have been a disappointment.  I love the melody throughout it.

Korn with those two bands is interesting.  Although I would have been when they were just starting out.

I saw Korn 6 months later opening for Ozzy and they still sucked.

Youthanasia has aged really well. I also didn't love Countdown To Extinction either. Megadeth to me always had a dirtier sound, and CTE was way to razor clean for me.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3097 on: February 02, 2024, 08:57:11 PM »
I love Youthanasia so much.  Same with Cryptic Writings. 

I saw the live debut of Breadline on the Risk tour - the it was the first time they had played that song.  Got a Marty Friedman guitar pick from that show too.  For some reason, I really liked the setlist on that tour - it was a big solid chunk of 1990's Megadeth, with a few older songs.  I've seen them play more ripping sets later on, but I remember loving that show, though they didn't play Reckoning Day.

Prince of Darkness
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
In My Darkest Hour
Train of Consequences
Hangar 18
Breadline
(Live premiere)
A Secret Place
She-Wolf
A tout le monde
Almost Honest
Crush 'Em
Use the Man
Trust
Insomnia
Sweating Bullets
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells

Encore:
Paranoid
Anarchy in the U.K.

Supercollider fucking sucks.  I liked Kingmaker when it came out, but hated the rest.  In the last year since my mom's Alzheimer's has gotten worse, I've gone back to this album a lot to listen to Forget to Remember.  I love that Dave wrote this song.   :heart

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3098 on: February 02, 2024, 10:29:40 PM »

I saw Korn 6 months later opening for Ozzy and they still sucked.

Youthanasia has aged really well. I also didn't love Countdown To Extinction either. Megadeth to me always had a dirtier sound, and CTE was way to razor clean for me.

:lol

You know, I never really rated CTE either.  Not sure why, just never stuck.

I love Youthanasia so much.  Same with Cryptic Writings. 

I saw the live debut of Breadline on the Risk tour - the it was the first time they had played that song.  Got a Marty Friedman guitar pick from that show too.  For some reason, I really liked the setlist on that tour - it was a big solid chunk of 1990's Megadeth, with a few older songs.  I've seen them play more ripping sets later on, but I remember loving that show, though they didn't play Reckoning Day.

Prince of Darkness
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
In My Darkest Hour
Train of Consequences
Hangar 18
Breadline
(Live premiere)
A Secret Place
She-Wolf
A tout le monde
Almost Honest
Crush 'Em
Use the Man
Trust
Insomnia
Sweating Bullets
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells

Encore:
Paranoid
Anarchy in the U.K.

Supercollider fucking sucks.  I liked Kingmaker when it came out, but hated the rest.  In the last year since my mom's Alzheimer's has gotten worse, I've gone back to this album a lot to listen to Forget to Remember.  I love that Dave wrote this song.   :heart

Sorry about you mother mate.

CW was my first Megadeth album.  I remember it being quite a strange sound on a whole.  Took a while to get my head around.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3099 on: February 03, 2024, 12:37:43 AM »
Looking forward to seeing them at Graspop Metal Meeting this summer. Unfortunately not with Kiko.. he’s awesome and I thought the latest two Megadeth records with him were really the best stuff the band has put out since their golden era.

That video of Wacken with Marty Friedman joining was cool. I’ve always felt Marty is the ultimate lead guitarist for Megadeth but Kiko has been so good as well. That instrumental Conquer Or Die that he had a big hand in is so incredible. My mom doesn’t enjoy a lot of thrash metal but she can’t get enough of that one. I can see why, it has that delicious neo-classical feel but without the usual cheesiness. If anyone reading this who doesn’t enjoy Megadeth: check out Conquer Or Die. It’s instrumental and extremely good.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3100 on: February 03, 2024, 12:40:30 PM »
I'll chime in.

Ranking just the albums you ranked Tim, I'd go as follows...

1. United Abominations
2. Endgame
3. Dystopia
4. The System Has Failed
5. TSTD&TD
6. Cryptic Writings
7. Risk
8. Supercollider
9. Thirteen
10. The World Needs A Hero

UA is easily my favourite post-RiP album, and it holds a special place in my heart.

Endgame is almost as good and definitely did a great job of following it up, and holding down the late 00s.

Dystopia, I really enjoy, and feel the line up on that record contributed to that massively.

I remember reading about The System Has Failed, and it getting slammed, so I avoided it for a while when I first got into the band, but I think it's solid and better than some of the 90s output.

The latest was pretty good. A few solid songs and very little I disliked.

The gap in quality here really starts to show. Cryptic Writings has a few cool songs, but more duds. Risk, and Super Collider, similar to TSHF in that I avoided them for a while based on poor reviews, but actually liked them a bit more because I had such low expectations.

Lastly, Th1rt3en and The World Needs A Hero. These two albums suck, and are probably the worst in Dave's career for me. Almost no redeeming songs on either album, maybe like 1 on Th1rt3en!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3101 on: February 03, 2024, 01:21:25 PM »
I'll chime in.

:metal

UA is easily my favourite post-RiP album, and it holds a special place in my heart.

Why's that?

In the last year since my mom's Alzheimer's has gotten worse, I've gone back to this album a lot to listen to Forget to Remember.  I love that Dave wrote this song.   :heart

:heart

My mom doesn’t enjoy a lot of thrash metal but she can’t get enough of that one.

Not to make light of what Grappler posted, but then you posted this and it cracked me up. Like it's now the Mother's thread. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3102 on: February 03, 2024, 01:31:13 PM »
OK, ran through these two today, leaving only the first four albums to rank.

So now I'm at...

1. Endgame
2. TSTD&TD
3. Dystopia
4. The System Has Failed
5. United Abominations
6. Cryptic Writings
7. Youthanasia
8. Countdown To Extinction
9. Supercollider
10. The World Needs A Hero
11. Thirteen
12. Risk

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3103 on: February 03, 2024, 01:42:43 PM »

Why's that?

It's that classic thing. I got into Megadeth in late 2004. I mainly listened to their 80s output and Rust in Peace for a few years. United Abominations was the first album that I was able to enjoy releasing in real time. I loved Sleepwalker as a single, and then when I heard Washington is Next! I was sold.

Also, if we're now chucking Youthanasia and Countdown into the mix then here's my ranking...

1. United Abominations
2. Endgame
3. Dystopia
4. Countdown to Extinction
5. The System Has Failed
6. TSTD&TD
7. Cryptic Writings
8. Youthanasia
9. Risk
10. Supercollider
11. Thirteen
12. The World Needs A Hero

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3104 on: February 03, 2024, 01:44:01 PM »
Glen's playing on UA is fucking fantastic.

Online Mladen

« Reply #3105 on: February 03, 2024, 01:48:16 PM »
I'm fascinated by TAC's take. Rarely does someone rank five albums from 2000 onwards above Countdown, Youthanasia and Cryptic. That's pretty cool.  :tup

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3106 on: February 03, 2024, 02:04:29 PM »
I'm fascinated by TAC's take. Rarely does someone rank five albums from 2000 onwards above Countdown, Youthanasia and Cryptic. That's pretty cool.  :tup

He's mainly right, although I'd rank (and did rank) Countdown higher.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3107 on: February 03, 2024, 02:58:58 PM »

Remember, I grew up in the 80's, not the 90's, so my point of reference on Megadeth were really the first three albums. They had a real...dirty sound and feel to them. RiP, while much more polished, still maintained a "fullness" in the sound, plus it was so damn good the slicker style didn't really bother me.

I did not care for Countdown when it came out. I tried, believe me. There's just no beef to it, and the songs aren't as good on the whole. I think the production didn't help.
I washed my hands of them when Youthanasia came out. That was also the last tour that I saw them. I hated the album. And I completed skipped Cryptic Writings.
If I could only listen to one album of the three for the rest of my life, it'd be CW. Youthanasia has aged really well considering what I thought of it when it came out. It has a much better production than CTE, but honestly, the margins are pretty slim on these albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3108 on: February 03, 2024, 06:18:16 PM »
OK, this is where I'm settling for now. Posting my Top 3 songs for each album as well.

1. So Far So Good So What  In My Darkest Hour, Mary Jane, Set The World Afire
2. Endgame  44 Minutes, This Day We Fight, 1320
3. Rust In Peace  Five Magics, Poison Was The Cure, Rust In Peace...Polaris
4. TSTD&TD  Dogs Of Chernobyl, Life In Hell, We'll Be Back
5. Dystopia  Fatal Illusion, Conquer Or Die, Dystopia
6. Peace Sells  My Last Words, Wake Up Dead, The Conjuring
7. The System Has Failed  Blackmail The Universe, The Scorpion, Kick The Chair
8. United Abominations  Washington Is Next, Sleepwalker, Play For Blood
9. Killing Is My Business  Killing Is My Business, Mechanix, Looking Down The Cross
10. Cryptic Writings  She Wolf, The Disintegrators, Vortex
11. Youthanasia  Black Curtains, The Killing Road, Victory
12. Countdown To Extinction  This Was My Life, Ashes In Your Mouth, Skin O' My Teeth
13. Supercollider  Kingmaker, Dance In The Rain, Don't Turn Your Back
14. The World Needs A Hero  Recipe For Hate...Warhorse, Dread And The Fugitive Mind, Burning Bridges
15. Thirteen  Black Swan, Never Dead, Sudden Death
16. Risk  Prince Of Darkness, Breadline, Time: The End

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3109 on: February 03, 2024, 06:41:42 PM »

And rarely does anyone complain about the album's production either!   :lol  I'd put Countdown over a lot of Megadeth's later albums, and might drop SFSGSW lower than some of the later albums. 

My mom doesn’t enjoy a lot of thrash metal but she can’t get enough of that one.

Not to make light of what Grappler posted, but then you posted this and it cracked me up. Like it's now the Mother's thread. :lol

I laughed when I read what he and you said! 

My mom never understood my love of metal.  When I was a teenager and off at school, she'd go through my cd's and read the lyrics to make sure I wasn't listening to awful stuff.  The albums I had at that time were Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy, Anthrax and....Slayer.  I'm sure some of the Slayer and Pantera lyrics shocked her, but I proved to her that the music wasn't making me into a different kind of person.

In the mid-00's, I took my mom and dad out to see a local band (my dad knew the guitarist through his work, and I LOVED the band).  Watching this bar band play live and having a few drinks in her loosened her up and she leaned over to me and said "I get why you like the music now."   That moment meant so much to me - she wouldn't ever truly like metal, but she saw through the loudness to a local band's melodicism, songwriting and playing talent. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3110 on: February 03, 2024, 06:43:26 PM »
OK, this is where I'm settling for now. Posting my Top 3 songs for each album as well.

1. So Far So Good So What  In My Darkest Hour, Mary Jane, Set The World Afire
2. Endgame  44 Minutes, This Day We Fight, 1320
3. Rust In Peace  Five Magics, Poison Was The Cure, Rust In Peace...Polaris
4. TSTD&TD  Dogs Of Chernobyl, Life In Hell, We'll Be Back
5. Dystopia  Fatal Illusion, Conquer Or Die, Dystopia
6. Peace Sells  My Last Words, Wake Up Dead, The Conjuring
7. The System Has Failed  Blackmail The Universe, The Scorpion, Kick The Chair
8. United Abominations  Washington Is Next, Sleepwalker, Play For Blood
9. Killing Is My Business  Killing Is My Business, Mechanix, Looking Down The Cross
10. Cryptic Writings  She Wolf, The Disintegrators, Vortex
11. Youthanasia  Black Curtains, The Killing Road, Victory
12. Countdown To Extinction  This Was My Life, Ashes In Your Mouth, Skin O' My Teeth
13. Supercollider  Kingmaker, Dance In The Rain, Don't Turn Your Back
14. The World Needs A Hero  Recipe For Hate...Warhorse, Dread And The Fugitive Mind, Burning Bridges
15. Thirteen  Black Swan, Never Dead, Sudden Death
16. Risk  Prince Of Darkness, Breadline, Time: The End
Cool to se the love for SFSGSW - I always thought that album was super underrated. I absolutely love Into the Lungs of Hell - killer instrumental track.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3111 on: February 03, 2024, 07:00:49 PM »
I always considered So Far, So Good my least favorite of the first 4 albums. I tried many times, as many people I know have praised it over time, but I always left with the feeling that's a mess of an album. I mean, maybe that's the point of it  :biggrin: It certainly has the crazy rawness early Megadeth is know for, but I would never think of ranking it higher than, say, Peace Sells or Rust in Peace.

Also interesting to see Endgame so high  - in particular, higher than RIP! The other big difference vs. Tim's ranking would be for CTE, which I really like. I'd rank it higher than Youthanasia and, likely, all of the albums after that one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3112 on: February 03, 2024, 07:07:20 PM »
My mom never understood my love of metal.  When I was a teenager and off at school, she'd go through my cd's and read the lyrics to make sure I wasn't listening to awful stuff.  The albums I had at that time were Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy, Anthrax and....Slayer.  I'm sure some of the Slayer and Pantera lyrics shocked her, but I proved to her that the music wasn't making me into a different kind of person.

In the mid-00's, I took my mom and dad out to see a local band (my dad knew the guitarist through his work, and I LOVED the band).  Watching this bar band play live and having a few drinks in her loosened her up and she leaned over to me and said "I get why you like the music now."   That moment meant so much to me - she wouldn't ever truly like metal, but she saw through the loudness to a local band's melodicism, songwriting and playing talent.

Thankfully my mother seemed to pretty much ignored what I was into. I think she wasn't crazy about it all, but pretty much left it in the hands of my father to monitor me as a teen. Thankfully, he recognized how much I loved music, and I was a good kid (although if my kids were as "good" as I was, I'd probably kill them!).  I would've never seen all those 80's arena shows without his support.

Cool to se the love for SFSGSW - I always thought that album was super underrated. I absolutely love Into the Lungs of Hell - killer instrumental track.

SFSGSW really hooked me. I had Peace Sells, even saw them on that tour, but I was kind of indifferent on them. I saw the first night of the SFSGSW tour opening for Dio and Megadeth blew me away. The album wouldn't be released for another couple of weeks, but I thought it was the amazing album to experience at that time.
Saw them again on that tour when they came back and headlined (with Warlock & Sanctuary).

I know they did a cover of These Boots on KIMB, but they recorded another version of it for the Dudes soundtrack, and they played THAT version on this tour cycle, and I always thought it was the coolest thing. Much better than their first version.

I absolutely love Into the Lungs of Hell - killer instrumental track.

Endgame does a pretty blatant call back to Into The Lungs Of Hell/Set The World Afire with Dialectic Chaos/This Day We Fight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3113 on: February 03, 2024, 07:15:31 PM »
I always considered So Far, So Good my least favorite of the first 4 albums. I tried many times, as many people I know have praised it over time, but I always left with the feeling that's a mess of an album. I mean, maybe that's the point of it  :biggrin: It certainly has the crazy rawness early Megadeth is know for, but I would never think of ranking it higher than, say, Peace Sells or Rust in Peace.

So I think some of it may have to do with the production of the first four albums, but SFSGSW does, as you say, capture the crazy rawness, but it also introduces a much tighter performance with a bit more precision.

And Dave is absolutely possessed with his delivery.

Also interesting to see Endgame so high  - in particular, higher than RIP! The other big difference vs. Tim's ranking would be for CTE, which I really like. I'd rank it higher than Youthanasia and, likely, all of the albums after that one.

I'm surprised about Endgame edging out RiP too! But since Endgame has come out, I've probably reached for it 4 to 1 over RiP.
I personally cannot stand Hangar 18 either.

As far as CTE and Youthanasia, believe me, it's a very small margin of a difference, but I never have a hankering to listen to CTE. I at least bust out Youthanasia once or twice a year. I don't know...CTE has just never resonated with me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3114 on: February 04, 2024, 04:17:57 PM »
I think the strength of Endgame comes in the sheer consistency across the whole album.  I think with most Megadeth albums for me anyway, they all come out of the gates pretty strong but struggle to maintain that level of consistency til the end.  I feel Endgame is pretty much a very strong album from start to finish.