Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354531 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #3045 on: August 04, 2023, 12:16:17 PM »
Watching the livestream from Wacken and Megadeth is on fire!   :metal   They're playing their asses off, Dave sounds good for the most part - some songs will always challenge him now, but that hasn't taken away from his guitar playing. 

And two thumbs up for some pro-shot footage of Marty Friedman guesting with them on Trust / Tornado / Symphony.  I love how Wacken brings out the best in the bands that play every year.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3046 on: August 04, 2023, 12:42:51 PM »
Great performance and sound quality! I'm not following, but they have been playing those two songs from The World Needs a Hero and Hidden Treasures recently?
Edit: according to setlist.fm, yes. :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3047 on: August 04, 2023, 12:48:45 PM »
Whoa, Marty joined them again? I missed the stream, but that set list looks great.  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3048 on: August 10, 2023, 05:58:24 AM »
https://youtu.be/lmSKQAu5mhM

Matt Heafey singing TOS with the band.  I really quite liked how he sung this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3049 on: August 10, 2023, 08:31:24 AM »
That was really rocking!  I'm not much of a Trivium fan, but I really like Matt - he seems like very cool guy.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3050 on: August 10, 2023, 12:42:16 PM »
Apparently, they're going to be rocking out in Navajo Nation...They're coming to Window Rock and I find that awesome. :metal :metal :metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3051 on: September 01, 2023, 10:32:01 AM »
MEGADETH’s Live Performance at Wacken Open Air 2023: Watch the Pro-Shot Video Featuring Marty Friedman
https://lotsofmuzik.com/megadeths-live-performance-at-wacken-open-air-2023-pro-shot-video-inside/

Offline WardySI

« Reply #3052 on: September 03, 2023, 03:23:18 AM »
MEGADETH’s Live Performance at Wacken Open Air 2023: Watch the Pro-Shot Video Featuring Marty Friedman
https://lotsofmuzik.com/megadeths-live-performance-at-wacken-open-air-2023-pro-shot-video-inside/

That was a fantastic watch big Cheers! :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3053 on: September 05, 2023, 05:31:31 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3054 on: September 05, 2023, 09:33:04 PM »
Disappointing for the fans.  Hopefully not an ongoing thing either given the reason why he isn't going.

Teemu is a monster player though.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3055 on: November 02, 2023, 11:58:18 AM »
This album is still getting regular spins and I'd say only Youthanasia stayed in my regular rotation as long. Just a really enjoyable album. And thinking about it, Deth, Priest and Metallica are all making great music that I'm really enjoying...in their 60's and 70's. Maiden too except I didn't connect with their most recent one. Great to see all these legacy bands creating new and exciting music and not turning into nostalgia acts.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #3056 on: November 18, 2023, 01:19:45 AM »
This album is still getting regular spins and I'd say only Youthanasia stayed in my regular rotation as long. Just a really enjoyable album. And thinking about it, Deth, Priest and Metallica are all making great music that I'm really enjoying...in their 60's and 70's. Maiden too except I didn't connect with their most recent one. Great to see all these legacy bands creating new and exciting music and not turning into nostalgia acts.

If you're talking about Sick Dying Dead yes I went back to it last week and gotta say after several months away from it am even more taken by it than first time around.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3057 on: November 19, 2023, 01:02:08 PM »
From Kiko's Facebook:

A message to the @megadeth fans.

Dear Megadeth fans,

I want to share with you a decision that hasn't been easy for me.

In September, I had to step away from the U.S. leg of the tour for family reasons. Looking ahead, during 2024, we anticipate an even heavier touring schedule for Megadeth. After thorough reflection and discussions with Dave Mustaine and Megadeth's management, we have collectively agreed that it is the right move to extend my absence. I don't want to hinder any of the band's plans or the hard work of all the incredible people involved in the tour.

My nine years with Megadeth have been an unbelievable journey, filled with countless "pinch-me" moments. Unforgettable tours, a Grammy Award for "Dystopia," a Grammy nomination, and various accolades for "The Sick, The Dying, and The Dead" are just a few of the highlights. It is hard to put into words the magnitude of these experiences. I am sure any heavy metal fan can appreciate how incredible it is to play and create music in a band you grew up listening to, and to share the stage with a guitar legend like Dave Mustaine, along with phenomenal musicians like James LoMenzo and  Dirk Verbeuren, not to mention our incredible crew.

However, the most cherished aspect of these nine years has been getting to know the incredible army of devoted Megadeth fans around the world. Your dedication is inspiring, and I have immense admiration and respect for all of you.

Much love, see you soon!

Kiko Loureiro

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3058 on: November 19, 2023, 01:58:30 PM »
The funny thing is, Kiko writes about an extended absence, then continues the press release as if he's talking about a definite departure. It get that he's leaving the band, but it's odd he'd choose "extended absence" as the term to use.

I'm wondering if there's any chance of Marty rejoining the band, given that he and Dave had patched things up and that Marty joined them on several occasions recently. Mike Portnoy rejoined Dream Theater, Kiske and Kai rejoined Helloween, so why wouldn't this be a possibility?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3059 on: November 19, 2023, 04:51:50 PM »
Thought the same thing, sounds like he is leaving.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3060 on: November 19, 2023, 05:45:24 PM »
Reads like he's leaving but maybe Dave just allowing him to keep the door open and see what happens?  Maybe he just becomes like a silent member and contributes where he can and on the next album maybe?  Kinda like Magnus Karlsson does with Primal Fear, who knows.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3061 on: November 20, 2023, 06:48:53 AM »
Right now I don't think Kiko is 100% out of Megadeth, but I can't imagine Dave not just simply moving forward and coming back in 2025 with a member who hasn't wanted (for whatever reason) to be in the band for the last year and a half.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3062 on: November 20, 2023, 06:51:11 AM »
Yeah, the statement is a bit confusing:

- He says he has to "extend his absence"
- He thanks for the nine years as if he's departing for good
- He concludes with "See you soon".

It's probably a sensibility on Megadeth's part. He's de facto out of the band, but given the personal situation occoured to him, they don't flat out dismiss him.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #3063 on: November 29, 2023, 08:39:58 PM »
Kiko participated in a (long) podcast by Rafael Bittencourt (Angra guitarist) and confirmed that he chose not to be in Megadeth for family reasons, as he wants to stay at home because of his children and says he can no longer spend six months away from home. He mentions that he almost missed the birth of his first daughter because he was playing at Rock in Rio with Angra and that 10 days after the birth of the twins he returned to tour with Megadeth.

He said, “that’s what I told Dave, my son needs me more than Megadeth.”

He also mentioned that Megadeth stopped being challenging for him "you play 25 songs in 9 years and that's it".

The podcast is in Portuguese, but the link is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUhq5m9iHr8

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3064 on: November 29, 2023, 09:09:42 PM »
Kiko participated in a (long) podcast by Rafael Bittencourt (Angra guitarist) and confirmed that he chose not to be in Megadeth for family reasons, as he wants to stay at home because of his children and says he can no longer spend six months away from home. He mentions that he almost missed the birth of his first daughter because he was playing at Rock in Rio with Angra and that 10 days after the birth of the twins he returned to tour with Megadeth.

He said, “that’s what I told Dave, my son needs me more than Megadeth.”

He also mentioned that Megadeth stopped being challenging for him "you play 25 songs in 9 years and that's it".

The podcast is in Portuguese, but the link is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUhq5m9iHr8

Just from reading these quotes, doesn't sound like Kiko is coming back.  :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #3065 on: November 30, 2023, 04:49:04 AM »
Megadeth’s boring, stale setlists claim yet another victim. Kiko is awesome and I’m sorry to see him go. His behind the scenes videos were really cool

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3066 on: November 30, 2023, 09:16:18 AM »
The whole thing with Megadeth is really a damn shame.

My story becoming a fan of Megadeth starts much later than I'm sure some of you. I knew of them in the late-80s and early-90s. I saw the videos from Countdown to Extinction on MTV, dug em, but never really pursued buying their records. But then in 1998, I dug what I was hearing on Cryptic Writings. Heard Megadeth was playing Ozzfest with TOOL, and so I went out and bought Cryptic Writings and TOOL's Ænima. Enjoyed them both and became a fan.

Megadeth was good at that show, but there were technical problems, so what I remember most is Dave having a fit on stage and either smashing something or kicking something. It's vague, but I remember it. I don't remember TOOL's performance really, and all I can recall from Ozzy was there being a sheer curtain around the stage, and him coming out wagging a hose like it was his penis. LOL.

Anyway, five years later, I get married to a HUGE Megadeth fan. I start getting into the catalog, and I became a massive fan. We saw Megadeth's first show back in 2004 (I think it was, if not, it was the first tour), and I've been invested in them ever since. And honestly, after Endgame, I've just been disappointed. Some records were good, some were not, but Dave can't sing, all the songs are dropped and sound like mud. Frankly, Megadeth should have been finished a decade ago. But Dave soldiers on, his son Justis keeps putting him on the road, and really, Dave Mustaine needs to either hire a better singer, and put the songs back in the original key, or hang it all up.

Megadeth is limited because Dave Mustaine can't sing. If all he had to do was play guitar, it might be different.

The last two albums are certainly good. I prefer Dystopia, but both are good.  But while I am used to the rotating members thing, it has really become stupid at this point, IMO.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3067 on: November 30, 2023, 10:00:19 AM »
Megadeth’s boring, stale setlists claim yet another victim.
So basically a nostalgia act at this point?

But while I am used to the rotating members thing, it has really become stupid at this point, IMO.
Kinda shows that the guys in Metallica were right to kick Mustaine to the curb all those years ago if he can't keep a solid lineup.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3068 on: November 30, 2023, 10:27:48 AM »

It's brutal. Their setlist has been the same old songs every single tour for the past 20+ years. And their newest album is very highly regarded but they're only playing 1 song from it regularly. I just don't get it. It's like Mustaine refuses to play any songs he can't do in his sleep and expects everyone to be cool with having the same concert experience every single tour. I know Kiko's family is the main reason why he left, but I get it from a creative perspective too. Why lend creative ideas, write songs, and release albums with this band when he never even gets to play them live and has to continually play songs from other guitarists?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3069 on: November 30, 2023, 10:35:30 AM »
It's brutal. Their setlist has been the same old songs every single tour for the past 20+ years. And their newest album is very highly regarded but they're only playing 1 song from it regularly. I just don't get it. It's like Mustaine refuses to play any songs he can't do in his sleep and expects everyone to be cool with having the same concert experience every single tour. I know Kiko's family is the main reason why he left, but I get it from a creative perspective too. Why lend creative ideas, write songs, and release albums with this band when he never even gets to play them live and has to continually play songs from other guitarists?
Ridiculous that they're only playing one song from their new album. Can't blame Kiko for splitting. Makes me wonder how much he regrets leaving Angra since he was one of the main guys in that band. I honestly was surprised when he left for Megadeth of all bands. For another big name band that was not notorious for having constantly changing lineups, I could seem him make a move. But for Megadeth?

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter. At this point, he'd probably take a leave of absence from Angra too for the sake of his family, but you gotta wonder... Perhaps once his kids are more grown, he'll make a return to Angra again. Obviously he's on good terms with Rafael, so I could see that being a possibility. Marcelo might be starting to get a bit nervous.  :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3070 on: November 30, 2023, 12:50:54 PM »
If Kiko ever returns to Angra (didn't someone mention in the MP thread that legally he's still a "member", at least for the bureocratic side of things?), at this point they should go the Iron Maiden route and use three guitarists.

Anyway, doesn't he live in Finland now, which is the reason why he knew his replacement to begin with? I mean, Angra has an italian singer but bringing back Kiko as he lives in Finland feels a bit too much.....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #3071 on: November 30, 2023, 01:04:31 PM »
Just to contextualize: when he talks about playing the same songs, it is in a context where he is an employee of the band. He doesn't have to do anything other than show up to rehearsals and shows and play the same songs.

Angra is also a band that uses fixed setlists for each tour (although they always explored new albums well), but in Angra he was the owner (in fact, he still is). So there was a lot to sort out, whereas in Megadeth he just played the songs and that's it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3072 on: November 30, 2023, 01:10:35 PM »
All of what you guys say is true but in Dave's defence, it's not like what Kiko was signing up for in Megadeth would have been a surprise.  He knew what he was going into.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #3073 on: November 30, 2023, 01:46:44 PM »
All of what you guys say is true but in Dave's defence, it's not like what Kiko was signing up for in Megadeth would have been a surprise.  He knew what he was going into.

Yes true. I believe that what was really important in his decision was the family issue.

Kiko has changed a lot. Who remembers Kiko from years ago: a guy very focused on music, but super introverted, uncommunicative and often appearing to be in a bad mood.

I think the family transformed him.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3074 on: November 30, 2023, 01:55:21 PM »
I think the setlist issue is probably much worse for the fans than it is/was for Kiko.  I'm sure he knew exactly what he was getting into, and he was with Megadeth for 9 years, so it's not like he only lasted a couple years and was out.  If/when his family issues allow him to travel more again, he probably won't have trouble finding something; maybe not as big as Megadeth but probably bigger than Angra.  (Assuming he doesn't return).

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3075 on: November 30, 2023, 01:58:39 PM »

He did say once in an interview that the setlist is created around what he can currently sing - his voice definitely changed as he aged and had the throat cancer treated.  His higher range isn't really there.  That being said, you're right - the setlist issues go back much farther. 

I've noticed that Megadeth is always part of a package tour and rarely does a smaller headlining tour where they would have to play for 2 hours.  I don't think Dave's stamina is there for that kind of show.  So they do festivals and open for bigger bands, where the set length is easier for him to handle.  That forces the sets to be 12-15 songs, most of which will always be the same hits. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3076 on: November 30, 2023, 02:08:40 PM »
Right, which is part of the reason why I'm really surprised Kiko would leave his own band for another one, knowing that it was basically run by a dictator and that he would be very limited in a variety of ways. Just the fact that he's summed up his reason for leaving as "freedom" speaks volumes. Why would he have put himself in that position in the first place is what I struggle to understand.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3077 on: November 30, 2023, 02:23:41 PM »
Right, which is part of the reason why I'm really surprised Kiko would leave his own band for another one, knowing that it was basically run by a dictator and that he would be very limited in a variety of ways. Just the fact that he's summed up his reason for leaving as "freedom" speaks volumes. Why would he have put himself in that position in the first place is what I struggle to understand.

He could've underestimated what living his life on Dave's clock could've meant. It was probably worth it for the exposure he got, but there must've been some diminishing returns.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3078 on: November 30, 2023, 03:22:45 PM »

The pay rise from Angra to Megadeth would have been far too good to pass up, you can't blame him for making the move.  It would have almost been silly for him not to jump ship.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3079 on: November 30, 2023, 03:39:34 PM »
Yeah, it must have been the money and the stability. I don't know his personal life but maybe he was starting / having a family already back then, so the money could have helped in that regard.

Also, Megadeth brings big stages and big tours, which musician would pass on that?

And while Dave Mustaine = Megadeth, at this point he should really consider getting a singer and stay on guitars, people would come to the show anyway as long as he's there. But it's probably too late to change now, it's not a reverse Gamma Ray situation where Ralph Scheepers was there for only three albums...