Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354723 times)

Offline billboy73

Re: Megadeth
« Reply #3010 on: February 07, 2023, 09:15:14 AM »
Would definitely be cool to see Marty play with Dave again, even if just on a song or 2.  I just hope they play at least a few songs they haven't played in a bit.  When I saw them last May they played Dread and the Fugitive Mind, Angry Again, and The Conjuring, which was nice.  Hopefully they will pull a bit more from the vaults for this, especially if Marty really is going to make an appearance.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3011 on: February 07, 2023, 10:29:31 AM »
I wouldn't imagine him being on a lot of songs.  But a three song run of 2 classics and 1 deep cut/rarity would be nice. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3012 on: February 07, 2023, 11:02:24 AM »
I wouldn't imagine him being on a lot of songs.  But a three song run of 2 classics and 1 deep cut/rarity would be nice.

Being realistic and also optimistic, it's also what I'm hoping for.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: February 08, 2023, 07:05:41 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3014 on: February 08, 2023, 08:34:09 AM »
Not necessarily.  Just became someone filed a lawsuit doesn't mean they will win said lawsuit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3015 on: February 08, 2023, 09:08:12 AM »
I would say that the artist should have made sure that a contract signed prior to submitting his final artwork to the band. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3016 on: February 08, 2023, 10:17:31 AM »
I would say that the artist should have made sure that a contract signed prior to submitting his final artwork to the band.

Yep, but also if you have been inquired about it multiple times and haven’t provided payment then you are liable, I think

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3017 on: February 08, 2023, 04:58:01 PM »

Indeed.  Pretty rookie error here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3018 on: February 09, 2023, 07:18:37 AM »
But then again, why would a serious corporation like Megadeth not contact the artist regarding the payment? Something's fishy about this.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3019 on: February 13, 2023, 09:39:12 PM »

It does appear to be 3 songs at the encore

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/megadeth-marty-friedman-reunion-1234678726/

"Friedman will join the band, which includes current lead guitarist Kiko Loureiro, for three songs for the gig’s encore."
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline billboy73

« Reply #3020 on: February 28, 2023, 09:13:27 AM »
So they played Countdown to Extinction (title track), Tornado of Souls, and Symphony of Destruction with Marty.  I knew Tornado would be in there.  At least they played a rarity in Countdown.

I was hoping for Crush 'Em  ;D  JK!

Online DTA

« Reply #3021 on: February 28, 2023, 09:18:47 AM »
Cool addition with CTE, but otherwise it's the same stupid setlist over and over again. They released a new album last year that everyone loves and still only two songs are being played from it. I just don't get it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3022 on: February 28, 2023, 11:48:42 AM »
Cool addition with CTE, but otherwise it's the same stupid setlist over and over again. They released a new album last year that everyone loves and still only two songs are being played from it. I just don't get it.

Because people go to hear those classic songs.

How would you feel if you had seen Lynyrd Skynyrd and they didn't play Free Bird?

To different people, each of those songs can be that person's Free Bird.

So to sell tickets, you play these songs.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3023 on: February 28, 2023, 11:50:49 AM »

How would you feel if you had seen Lynyrd Skynyrd and they didn't play Free Bird?

Megadeth don't have a freebird.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3024 on: February 28, 2023, 12:04:25 PM »

Megadeth don't have a freebird.

Oh yes they do...

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3025 on: February 28, 2023, 12:25:35 PM »
Maybe nothing that rises quite to the level of Freebird, but I think that getting that specific misses the point in that they definitely do have some hits and some songs fans expect to hear at shows.  I think most fans expect to hear most of the following at almost every show:
-Peace Sells
-Hangar 18
-Tornado of Souls
-Holy Wars
-Symphony of Destruction
-A Tout Le Monde
-Almost Honest
-Trust
And you could probably add Sweating Bullets, Angry Again, and She-Wolf as the next tier.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3026 on: February 28, 2023, 12:50:12 PM »
Yeah, they have "hits" but no freebird.  My point (by pointing that out) it's a bad example.

Most bands still can squeze new songs in and play the "hits" but for some reason, Megadeth isn't doing that.

Even Def Leppard are playing 3 new songs and all the hits on their tour.

Online DTA

« Reply #3027 on: February 28, 2023, 01:14:48 PM »

I hear this excuse all the time from fans who refuse to hold bands accountable for some reason. You’re telling me the fan who only knows the popular songs is more important to please and willing to buy tickets than the fan who knows every song/album inside out? I refuse to see them because it’s the same songs every time so they're losing ticket sales to that.

They have 5 must-play songs at most - Peace Sells, Holy Wars, Symphony, Hangar, and Trust. They could easily fill in the rest with new songs and different back catalog songs but they choose not to. Probably because Dave doesn’t feel like practicing anymore so he plays songs he can do in his sleep.

If he wants to hang with Metallica so bad, at least do what they do and throw some rarities in for diehard fans.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3028 on: February 28, 2023, 01:25:36 PM »
I actually think Peace sells, Holy wars and Symphony are the only songs that are a "must." As much as casual fans might want to hear Trust, She-wolf, Sweating bullets and A tout le monde, they'd probably enjoy In my darkest hour, Take no prisoners, Skin o my teeth and A Secret place just as much.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3029 on: February 28, 2023, 01:45:13 PM »
I hear this excuse all the time from fans who refuse to hold bands accountable for some reason.

It isn't an "excuse" and has nothing to do with "holding bands accountable."  Honestly, the idea of "holding bands accountable" is incredibly presumptuous and silly.  I think most bands would roll their eyes and laugh at that take, and wouldn't be concerned at all about losing an album/ticket sale here and there from the random self-appointed sheriff of band accountability. 

You’re telling me the fan who only knows the popular songs is more important to please and willing to buy tickets than the fan who knows every song/album inside out?

No, he isn't telling you that.  Why don't you read and respond to what he actually did tell you?

Anyway, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  Most bands are going to have a continuing list of "go to" songs that they play almost every show, and feel like they "have to" play them over and over.  That's just the way it is and most of us would admit that, if we're being honest.

The other side of the coin is that a lot of fans, especially those that have stuck with a band for a long time and buy almost everything and/or go to a lot of shows, want to hear some deep cuts and some songs off of whatever new album.  It can feel pretty lame when a band doesn't acknowledge that. 

The real trick is finding the balance in between.  Some bands barely try.  Queensryche is one that comes to mind, and it's frustrating.  Maiden perhaps do it better than just about anybody.  But even they get criticism because you just can't please everybody.  And as that applies here, yeah, I agree that playing only 2 songs off the new album is lame.  If you are going to put out a new album, stand by it and play a decent portion of it.  But Ben is also correct that it's perfectly understandable for a band to have a "must play" list as well, whether die hards agree with it or not.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: February 28, 2023, 02:00:43 PM »
I agree about finding the balance, but Megadeth have not done that IMO.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned in this thread last summer that I thought their setlist was pretty poor considering they played 1 new song from an album that was already released at that point and had some good fan response to it.  I purposely did not buy the album because I felt what's the point if they aren't playing the music even though I have liked what I heard from the album.  That was my personal way of showing my lack of support for them based on their set list.  DTA expressed his own way of showing no support due to this.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3031 on: February 28, 2023, 02:14:35 PM »
Yeah, they have "hits" but no freebird.  My point (by pointing that out) it's a bad example.

Most bands still can squeze new songs in and play the "hits" but for some reason, Megadeth isn't doing that.

Does new songs mean newest album or recent releases?

Megadeth are playing songs from recent albums, plus the hits. They played 5 more recent songs in a set of 15 in Japan the other night. And if you include all of those 8 songs, so that the casual and newer fans who are attending their first Megadeth show, can hear the "hits" being played, that's about 13 songs out of 15 allowing 2 extra other songs to be played.

What it seems like Megadeth are doing is still touring under the production and show of Dystopia, while also integrating a few newer songs into the Dystopia related set.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3032 on: February 28, 2023, 02:16:14 PM »
I agree about finding the balance, but Megadeth have not done that IMO.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned in this thread last summer that I thought their setlist was pretty poor considering they played 1 new song from an album that was already released at that point and had some good fan response to it.  I purposely did not buy the album because I felt what's the point if they aren't playing the music even though I have liked what I heard from the album.  That was my personal way of showing my lack of support for them based on their set list.  DTA expressed his own way of showing no support due to this.

This sounds like the reason why Godsmack decided not to make any new albums anymore, and are now a touring band that plays from the catalog they already have under their belt. I mean, what's the point right? If they're not going to play newer songs, then why bother making new albums...

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #3033 on: February 28, 2023, 04:49:27 PM »
You’re telling me the fan who only knows the popular songs is more important to please and willing to buy tickets than the fan who knows every song/album inside out?

That's exactly what Paul Stanley has been telling us for the past 20 years.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: February 28, 2023, 06:11:59 PM »

Megadeth are playing songs from recent albums, plus the hits. They played 5 more recent songs in a set of 15 in Japan the other night. And if you include all of those 8 songs, so that the casual and newer fans who are attending their first Megadeth show, can hear the "hits" being played, that's about 13 songs out of 15 allowing 2 extra other songs to be played.

What it seems like Megadeth are doing is still touring under the production and show of Dystopia, while also integrating a few newer songs into the Dystopia related set.

New, to me, means recent.  As in specifically for a band, the album they are touring in support of usually.  I do agree with that last sentence, which is likely the problem here.  At least for me.  Also, I'm sure some want to see the deep cuts more than me, I just want to see the new music that people seem to really like.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3035 on: February 28, 2023, 06:15:09 PM »

That's exactly what Paul Stanley has been telling us for the past 20 years.

Going on 30 years, actually.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3036 on: February 28, 2023, 06:33:45 PM »

They are the less likely to also not buy a ticket because the vocals suck, if all they care about is hearing that "hit" song.

Look, I do wish bands would play whatever the hell they wanted to without worrying about whether it'd go well with the audience or not. But, I also understand why bands choose to play the same songs every single tour.

Also, I'm sure some want to see the deep cuts more than me, I just want to see the new music that people seem to really like.

Yes, and the new music being played I expect them to play more of when they tour to specifically promote that album. Remember, some bands are still trying to tour their pre-covid shows and are also trying to hit as many places as possible. Megadeth wanted to make something special for the Japan fans, and decided to share it with the world, which was having Marty Friedman guest on a few songs.

It's fantastic getting to hear Countdown to Extinction and also with the dual guitar harmonies, from the one vid I saw, I felt that was what was missing from it.

Bands playing new music is why I am a bit upset that Queensryche is not coming here either (I am not blaming the band either, more so our promoters seem to not be making some wise decisions, and maybe the bands do not agree with the venue policies, who knows) and it seems like the band may decide to play a lot more recent songs in their set this time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3037 on: March 01, 2023, 06:55:50 AM »

I hear this excuse all the time from fans who refuse to hold bands accountable for some reason. You’re telling me the fan who only knows the popular songs is more important to please and willing to buy tickets than the fan who knows every song/album inside out? I refuse to see them because it’s the same songs every time so they're losing ticket sales to that.

They have 5 must-play songs at most - Peace Sells, Holy Wars, Symphony, Hangar, and Trust. They could easily fill in the rest with new songs and different back catalog songs but they choose not to. Probably because Dave doesn’t feel like practicing anymore so he plays songs he can do in his sleep.

If he wants to hang with Metallica so bad, at least do what they do and throw some rarities in for diehard fans.

I don't know if one is MORE important than the other, but there are far more of the former than the latter.  Ask any club band that used to play arenas.  Ask Genesis.   I remember being on the Genesis board (well, it might have been over at Mike's old place) and the rumors were abound that Pete was going to do some Lamb shows.  And some dude was all "there's not a stadium big enough to hold the fans that would see that show!!!".  Pete bailed, and they promptly booked 20 European stadia and about 20 US stadia and went out as a three piece.  The Lamb show would barely fill theaters. 

I have a concert buddy I go to many shows with (Marc has met him) and we sort of switch off; if he wants to see someone bad enough I'll go if I know the hits.  Vice versa.  He's gone with me twice to see Ace Frehley and doesn't give a rat's ass about "Hard Times" from Dynasty.   I would argue that Kiss is still playing arenas and bigger amphitheaters because you're guaranteed to hear Love Gun, Detroit Rock City and Rock and Roll All Nite, not side two of The Elder.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3038 on: March 01, 2023, 11:58:13 AM »

I don't know if one is MORE important than the other, but there are far more of the former than the latter.  Ask any club band that used to play arenas.  Ask Genesis.   I remember being on the Genesis board (well, it might have been over at Mike's old place) and the rumors were abound that Pete was going to do some Lamb shows.  And some dude was all "there's not a stadium big enough to hold the fans that would see that show!!!".  Pete bailed, and they promptly booked 20 European stadia and about 20 US stadia and went out as a three piece.  The Lamb show would barely fill theaters. 

I have a concert buddy I go to many shows with (Marc has met him) and we sort of switch off; if he wants to see someone bad enough I'll go if I know the hits.  Vice versa.  He's gone with me twice to see Ace Frehley and doesn't give a rat's ass about "Hard Times" from Dynasty.   I would argue that Kiss is still playing arenas and bigger amphitheaters because you're guaranteed to hear Love Gun, Detroit Rock City and Rock and Roll All Nite, not side two of The Elder.

The former are also less likely not to go due to some minor complaints of the band.

What I do for bands I do enjoy, but also want to see other songs is look on Setlist fm and then if the set looks interesting enough I'll go. There were times where I didn't go and then they played some songs that I really wanted to hear and won't likely hear again from them.

I wanted to buy these tickets for the stream just to see what songs they'd play with Marty and I didn't. Rather than making this something only for Japanese fans, the band was nice enough to implement streaming and broadcast the entire show for everuone to witness.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3039 on: June 06, 2023, 04:05:54 PM »
Gave the new one a long break but spun it just now. Still really enjoy it. Great riffs and strong drumming.
Glad I bought it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3040 on: June 06, 2023, 04:06:57 PM »
It's an excellent album. One of their best.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #3041 on: June 06, 2023, 04:10:13 PM »
It's an excellent album. One of their best.

I agree. Top tier.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3042 on: June 27, 2023, 09:27:52 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online DTA

« Reply #3043 on: June 28, 2023, 03:09:50 AM »
Mr. Boddy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKTLM2BfxjA

That's a pretty cool, unexpected guest spot. I've never actually checked out the MD.45 album. Is it worth hearing? I know the remaster has Dave's vocals instead of Lee which seems kind of odd, but those remasters were a shitshow anyway.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3044 on: June 29, 2023, 09:32:30 AM »
I liked that album.  Hard to go wrong when you have Jimmy's drumming and Dave's guitar playing.