Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354477 times)

Offline WardySI

Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2835 on: September 12, 2022, 06:24:12 PM »
Definitely a very strong album! I think The Sick... (what a cool opener, without being that heavy), Night Stalkers, Dogs of Chernobyl, Sacrifice, Célebutante and I'll Be Back are all amazing. The covers are great and the rest of the album is very good. I think the only songs that are a bit below, but not bad, are Junkie and Killing Time.

I thought so too but someone maybe here not sure suggested Killing Time had a Youthanasia vibe to it and I thought 'It does?'  So played it a few times over and it sure does have some of that about it, now love it the chorus is fantastic :metal

I'm disappointed they are only playing the single from the new album on their tour right now.  Seeing them on Wednesday.

That would be disappointing there's a swag of worthy songs here they could be promoting this album with...

Finally got a copy of this and holy shit, this fucker rips!!

:metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2836 on: September 12, 2022, 06:51:52 PM »
Jeez, I liked Nightstalkers when it came out but fuck this song is a monster in the album.  Wow!  Even the Ice T bit is fucking badass!

Kiko is fucking incredible too.  He owns this album.  So much creative and interesting lead playing going on.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2837 on: September 12, 2022, 07:32:35 PM »
Yeah it's strange isn't it but as simple as that Ice T piece is, it's effective and every time it's over I wish it were longer \m/

My daughter must agree too she had no idea who Ice was until I gave her some history and once the song was over she thought it was awesome and wanted to know more about this, in her words, Bubble Tea fella!?

A fraudulent slip on her part no doubt  :rollin

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2838 on: September 12, 2022, 07:49:00 PM »
Yeah it's strange isn't it but as simple as that Ice T piece is, it's effective and every time it's over I wish it were longer \m/

My daughter must agree too she had no idea who Ice was until I gave her some history and once the song was over she thought it was awesome and wanted to know more about this, in her words, Bubble Tea fella!?

A fraudulent slip on her part no doubt  :rollin

That's a much more badass name if you ask me.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2839 on: September 13, 2022, 12:01:01 AM »
Grapp - good to hear Dave say that.

I love this new album. Really great record from to top to bottom.

I've spun it 3 times now and stand by my early assessment. Great from beginning to end - especially on headphones - with no parts or songs that I feel like fast forwarding or skipping. This continues a trend for me of bands very late in their career putting out excellent albums. Kansas, DT, Metallica, Deth, Maiden, Priest, just to name a few.

Flotsam & Jetsam, Armored Saint, Saxon, Accept, Testament as well.

Flotsam obliterates every single Megadeth album and most people have no idea who they are. Such a shame

Can't say I agree with this literally, but I am in agreement with the general spirit of them being criminally underrated, overlooked, and comparatively unknown, and it sucks because they have put out some great music.  For me personally, my Big Four of thrash would be Metallica, Megadeth, Flotsam, and Testament. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2840 on: September 13, 2022, 12:03:59 AM »

I've spun it 3 times now and stand by my early assessment. Great from beginning to end - especially on headphones - with no parts or songs that I feel like fast forwarding or skipping. This continues a trend for me of bands very late in their career putting out excellent albums. Kansas, DT, Metallica, Deth, Maiden, Priest, just to name a few.

Flotsam obliterates every single Megadeth album and most people have no idea who they are. Such a shame

Can't say I agree with this literally, but I am in agreement with the general spirit of them being criminally underrated, overlooked, and comparatively unknown, and it sucks because they have put out some great music.  For me personally, my Big Four of thrash would be Metallica, Megadeth, Flotsam, and Testament.

That's damn solid.  I'm fine with Anthrax getting cut for either Flotsam or Testament.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2841 on: September 13, 2022, 01:01:32 AM »
As long as Nuclear Assault makes the “elite 8” I’m good.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2842 on: September 13, 2022, 11:59:25 PM »

That's damn solid.  I'm fine with Anthrax getting cut for either Flotsam or Testament.

Made a long post this morning that somehow didn't post, so I'll try to duplicate it.  Anyway, for me, those are pretty much the only thrash bands I never got into much.  If I had to make a thrash big four desert island list, it would look something like this:
-Metallica:  This is hard, but I think I'd have to go with Ride the Lightning.  Puppets might be feel like the "best," most solid album to me.  But Ride is one that I can reach for and enjoy from start to finish more often.  It's been a favorite of mine for a long, long time.  The black album is really close and really enjoyable to me as well.  But Ride is probably my favorite.
-Megadeth:  I'm in kind of a similar dilemma with them.  Rust is probably the one I can get the most enjoyment out of from start to finish more frequently.  I probably ultimately think Countdown and Youthanasia might be better albums overall, but I'll probably choose Rust if I have to go with just one.
-Flotsam:  TAC is going to be triggered by this, but my choice for them is Drift, hands down, and it's not even close.  Love this album.
-Testament:  This is an interesting band for me.  I like them as a band, and I like some individual songs a lot.  But I don't care for many entire albums of theirs as a whole, with a few exceptions.  The main one is The Ritual.  That's my easy choice.

And that being said, my "big four" are basically the only thrash I need.  Anthrax has a few songs I enjoy.  And while I can't remember specifics, the few Death Angel songs I heard a long time ago were pretty good. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2843 on: September 14, 2022, 05:53:11 AM »
How badass is that last 2 minutes of Dogs?  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2844 on: September 14, 2022, 05:54:51 AM »

Of hell yes :metal :metal. Life Is Hell and Dogs are my two favorite tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2845 on: September 14, 2022, 05:58:27 AM »

Yeah, Dogs is climbing.  I think Nightstalkers is my fav currently.

Dave sounds fucking great on this album too.  Knows his limitations but sounds excellent.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2846 on: September 14, 2022, 06:26:48 AM »
I love that brutal ending as much as the catchy chorus, which I like as much as the touching into. It's a rollercoaster of a song. Probably the best Megadeth track in years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2847 on: September 14, 2022, 08:46:08 AM »
Really good stuff.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2848 on: September 14, 2022, 08:59:46 PM »

Yeah, Dogs is climbing.  I think Nightstalkers is my fav currently.

Dave sounds fucking great on this album too.  Knows his limitations but sounds excellent.

Great interview Blabbermouth just reposted in which is aptly titled Mustaine's quote 'I wasn't born to sing'  ;D during which he talks about a ton of guitar stuff then after 15min mark talks of reaching out to Tom Keifer and his vocals before and after treatment etc.  An incredibly candid and humble Mustaine makes for an excellent interview\m/

https://blabbermouth.net/news/megadeths-dave-mustaine-i-wasnt-born-to-sing

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2849 on: September 14, 2022, 09:34:38 PM »
Nice will check later.

Thus album is fantastic.  Not sure about Mission to Mars, but the ending makes it pretty interesting.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2850 on: September 14, 2022, 11:22:53 PM »
Mission to Mars is questionable but it's the (tongue in cheek?) lyrics no doubt, the music is excellent riffs too compelling not to dig it regardless \m/

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2851 on: September 15, 2022, 06:02:56 AM »
-Flotsam:  TAC is going to be triggered by this, but my choice for them is Drift, hands down, and it's not even close.  Love this album.
-Testament:  This is an interesting band for me.  I like them as a band, and I like some individual songs a lot.  But I don't care for many entire albums of theirs as a whole, with a few exceptions.  The main one is The Ritual.  That's my easy choice.
Drift is a great album!  Less polished-sounding and more aggressive than Cuatro.

As far as Testament goes, for me, I know it's not the original line-up, but I love Low.  I don't think there's any filler on this album at all.  And, it's much heavier than The Ritual.

The only other band I'd include in this discussion that I haven't seen mentioned (unless I missed it) is Overkill.  I know some people don't like Blitz's vocals.  But, no matter who's in the band at the time, you know it's Overkill.  Kinda like the AC/DC of thrash.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2852 on: September 15, 2022, 08:25:30 AM »
Saw Megadeth last night.  They sounded VERY good.  Honestly made Five Finger Death Punch (who headlined) sound poor to me.

As mentioned earlier, they only played one song from the new album, but before the last song, Dave did mention they may have to change things up and end the set with a new song, but not tonight. So seems like they will play more new stuff, which makes sense, just not sure why they aren't right now.  Oh well.  Other than only being a 10 song set and not headlining, I thought they were pretty good and maybe this was my favorite of the 3 times I've seen them.

Megadeth - We'll Be Back LIVE @ PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel NJ 9/14/2022

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2853 on: September 15, 2022, 08:34:55 AM »
Saw Megadeth last night.  They sounded VERY good.  Honestly made Five Finger Death Punch (who headlined) sound poor to me.

As mentioned earlier, they only played one song from the new album, but before the last song, Dave did mention they may have to change things up and end the set with a new song, but not tonight. So seems like they will play more new stuff, which makes sense, just not sure why they aren't right now.  Oh well.  Other than only being a 10 song set and not headlining, I thought they were pretty good and maybe this was my favorite of the 3 times I've seen them.

Megadeth - We'll Be Back LIVE @ PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel NJ 9/14/2022

That baffles me that FFDP headlines over Megadeth. I guess I'm not in tune with the music industry like I used to be.  From about 1975 to about 1990, you give me a band name and I could probably tell you what tours they headlined and what tours they opened.  Now, I feel like a coin flip would do a better job than me.  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2854 on: September 15, 2022, 08:44:04 AM »
It baffles me too, but I wonder if part of the reason is it's just easier for Dave.  Last summer as part of a 4 band tour package, they headlined but also only played 10 songs.  Five Finger Death Punch also in a 4 band tour played a full 90 minute headline set while Megadeth did their 10 songs in 50 minutes.  It could be as simple as that in the end.  FFDP do have some big hit songs though (apparently by streaming counts, I'm not a big radio rock guy so I wasn't familiar with their hits)

Online Mladen

« Reply #2855 on: September 15, 2022, 09:08:05 AM »
I have a feeling that Dave nowadays likes to go out in front of another band's large crowd and just do ten to twelve songs as an opening act. He's got nothing left to prove.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2856 on: September 15, 2022, 09:14:41 AM »
Interesting.  I guess they're in a good space nowadays where they can do those tours, likely get paid enough to make them worthwhile, and have the pull that, even as an opener, they get to have their own huge stage setup.  I wonder if, in future years, we may see DT in a similar situation where they go from the longer headlining sets, to shorter headlining sets, to more shorter opening sets where they are almost "co-headlining" status, but don't close the show and aren't on as long.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2857 on: September 15, 2022, 09:19:32 AM »
I have a feeling that Dave nowadays likes to go out in front of another band's large crowd and just do ten to twelve songs as an opening act. He's got nothing left to prove.

I agree with this - he's had no problem opening for other bands and just playing an hour set.  Honestly, when they opened for Heaven & Hell in 2007, they played one of the most furious, smoking Megadeth sets I've ever seen.  9 songs, no talking in between, just one song into another and into another.  Nearly half of the set was from Rust in Peace, and that was a few years before they went on to play that record in full.

Sleepwalker
Take No Prisoners
Kick the Chair
Wake Up Dead
Hangar 18
Washington Is Next!
Symphony of Destruction
Tornado of Souls
Peace Sells
Encore:
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

they only played one song from the new album, but before the last song, Dave did mention they may have to change things up and end the set with a new song, but not tonight. So seems like they will play more new stuff, which makes sense, just not sure why they aren't right now.  Oh well. 

They did that on the Dystopia tour as well.  Started the tour playing only one new song and eventually worked 3 or 4 into the set.  Maybe they'll play more new stuff when they headline shows. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #2858 on: September 15, 2022, 09:55:04 AM »
I pulled the trigger on a physical CD. Over the last 3 years I've really slowed down - almost stopped- buying physical music. But when something comes along that I really love, I want it in my collection.

This could honestly contend for AOY. Really loving it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2859 on: September 15, 2022, 10:19:52 AM »
I like Dave as a character (though I don't agree with everything he does), though not all Megadeth really connects with me.  I will say, though, that I see a gig in my future, since I want to hear him play A Tout le Monde.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2860 on: September 15, 2022, 03:46:37 PM »
That baffles me that FFDP headlines over Megadeth. I guess I'm not in tune with the music industry like I used to be.  From about 1975 to about 1990, you give me a band name and I could probably tell you what tours they headlined and what tours they opened.  Now, I feel like a coin flip would do a better job than me.  :)
Isn't this the first bunch of shows Megadeth has done since Dave's cancer treatment?  It makes sense for them to kinda ease into playing live again.  And, to play in front of one of the more popular newer bands makes even more sense.  Maybe get out in front of an audience that wouldn't normally hear Dave.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: September 15, 2022, 03:48:43 PM »
I pulled the trigger on a physical CD. Over the last 3 years I've really slowed down - almost stopped- buying physical music. But when something comes along that I really love, I want it in my collection.

This could honestly contend for AOY. Really loving it.

Wonderful album indeed.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2862 on: September 16, 2022, 09:15:28 PM »
I picked up a copy of the CD today. On Spotify the bonus tracks are Police Truck and This Planet’s On Fire. On the CD the bonus tracks are listed as This Planet's on Fire and Dystopia(live), but when I listened to the CD the second bonus track turned out to be The Conjuring (liveJ.   :huh:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2863 on: September 16, 2022, 09:54:48 PM »
I picked up a copy of the CD today. On Spotify the bonus tracks are Police Truck and This Planet’s On Fire. On the CD the bonus tracks are listed as This Planet's on Fire and Dystopia(live), but when I listened to the CD the second bonus track turned out to be The Conjuring (liveJ.   :huh:

It's a misprint.  Mine is the same.  It's supposed to be The Conjuring.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2864 on: September 16, 2022, 11:46:08 PM »

It's a misprint.  Mine is the same.  It's supposed to be The Conjuring.

I wonder why it differs from the Spotify version?

Offline emtee

« Reply #2865 on: September 17, 2022, 02:46:23 AM »
My bonus tracks are The Police Truck and This Planets On Fire featuring Sammy Hagar. Both of them are really enjoyable. Usually I am indifferent to bonus tracks that are covers but these are worth listening to.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2866 on: September 21, 2022, 02:54:38 PM »
Finally got around to this and my first impression was this is The Sick, The Dying...And The Boring.

I don't know, just did not feel it. Especially after hearing the new Blind Guardian and Machine Head. I turned it off when Dave started singing 'I wanna, I wanna be an astronaut'. I flipped back to Machine Head.

Maybe it'll be a grower, but I was bored.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2867 on: September 21, 2022, 03:05:24 PM »
I cannot get into Machine Head. At all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2868 on: September 21, 2022, 03:10:18 PM »
I love the album, but Mission to Mars is a cringeworthy track IMO.  Not sure what they were thinking there.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2869 on: September 21, 2022, 03:16:08 PM »
Burn My Eyes is fantastic, and an absolute classic for the 90s - a perfect combo of groove and thrash. Tim: Are you familiar with it?

Nothing else they've done is as good (imo, of course). I actually didn't hate their two "nu-metal" records (Burning Red and Supercharger) - I mean, they were blatantly opportunistic, but sort of enjoyable nonetheless.

Then they made a bunch of very good records...but even The Blackening, which is generally regarded as a modern metal masterpiece, I like but don't quite love. Haven't heard Catharsis, and I still have to check out their latest one (which I plan to do soon...)