Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354912 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2800 on: September 06, 2022, 08:15:13 AM »
Grapp - good to hear Dave say that.

I love this new album. Really great record from to top to bottom.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2801 on: September 06, 2022, 10:25:21 PM »
Junior is finally taking the gloves off and being honest about his relationship with Mustaine. I don't much care for Mustaine the person due to his history of being, well, him. Ellefson has always been Mister Nice Guy so to actually hear him talk about how things were, I tend to trust his side more than Mustaine.

This is quite an interesting read.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/david-ellefson-says-he-was-in-an-abusive-working-relationship-with-dave-mustaine-i-feel-like-i-got-kicked-out-of-hell
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2802 on: September 06, 2022, 11:29:45 PM »
What frustrates me about Mustaine is how he wanted to do more with the Big 4 at the time Slayer was still active, but you still see recent articles out there of him seeming to still be very resentful of what Metallica did to him in their early days.  Metallica doesn't need to throw him a bone and they can go on their lives how they want to with or without Mustaine being pissy at them.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/dave_mustaine_says_hed_like_to_do_a_little_bit_more_with_the_big_4_explains_why_winning_a_grammy_feels_odd.html

Also, while I have the topic of people wanting more Big 4 shows in my head, there's something that people really need to note about the idea of those shows.  Those shows are always going to be headlined by Metallica no matter what, and the other three bands was going to get the additional benefit of playing in front of Metallica's bigger audiences in stadiums or festivals.  I think there are certain metal fans wanting the one of the other 3 bands headlining over Metallica for fairness, but they would not have the pull like Metallica has at drawing a stadium audience.  You could replace those bands with younger bands like Ghost, A7X, Volbeat, Gojira, Mastodon, etc. in the opening bill with Metallica headlining and it will still sell the same amount of attendance in festivals or stadiums and honestly, I would like those kinds of bills over the Big 4 shows since I don't have much of a fondness for any of the non-Metallica big four bands other than maybe Anthrax.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2803 on: September 07, 2022, 08:22:09 AM »

This is quite an interesting read.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/david-ellefson-says-he-was-in-an-abusive-working-relationship-with-dave-mustaine-i-feel-like-i-got-kicked-out-of-hell

Good read. But remember, Ellefson has a career to sell. he has joined forces with Jeff Young and they are going out and playing Megadeth songs. You also don't use the word "abusive" without angling for a lawsuit. At the end of the day, Ellefson may be right that Dave was a control freak (it's also why Mustaine has made a point to tell everyone how this latest Megadeth record was a collaborative record to thwart what Jr. is saying publicly). But Ellefson got kicked to the curb for a legitimate reason. If I was a business owner like Mustaine, and I saw an employee allegedly getting involved with an underage girl, I'd punt his ass to the curb too. So there are multiple sides to this. I don't believe either of them. I think they are both laying the public ground work for a lawsuit and legal defense.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2804 on: September 07, 2022, 08:47:13 AM »
But remember, Ellefson has a career to sell.

True.  ...but who's buying?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2805 on: September 07, 2022, 08:51:24 AM »
But remember, Ellefson has a career to sell.

True.  ...but who's buying?

Wow Bosk.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2806 on: September 07, 2022, 09:21:54 AM »
bosk for the win! Glad you picked up on that and crushed the softball 500' into the night!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2807 on: September 07, 2022, 10:23:30 AM »
It's like a soft pass to Steph Curry for a wide-open unguarded 3.  All that was left was to take the shot. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2808 on: September 08, 2022, 07:53:31 PM »
I've been listening to Megadeth for over 35 years and the new album is......outstanding. I am blown away.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2809 on: September 09, 2022, 12:02:55 AM »
I've been listening to Megadeth for over 35 years and the new album is......outstanding. I am blown away.

I'll make it a priority for my lazy ass to go out and buy it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2810 on: September 09, 2022, 02:07:43 AM »
I'll chuck a quick ranking out there after 3 listens...

We'll Be Back
Night Stalkers
Célebutante
The Sick, The Dying... and The Dead!
Police Truck
Soldier On!
This Planets on Fire (Burn in Hell)
Life in Hell
Mission to Mars
Killing Time
Dogs of Chernobyl
Psychopathy
Junkie
Sacrifice

Not sure if everyone is the same, but I really love the covers at the end.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2811 on: September 09, 2022, 05:53:23 AM »
So far it hasn't grabbed me like Dystopia or Endgame, but it's decent enough.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2812 on: September 09, 2022, 06:39:21 AM »
It is on equal footing with Dystopia for me (which I really, really love). Dystopia has better vocal lines, Sick and Dying has better instrumentals. Both fantastic albums.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2813 on: September 09, 2022, 07:46:55 AM »
I usually don't like saying things like this, but this is the best Megadeth album since The System has failed. Over the last fifteen years, whenever a new Megadeth album came out, I thought it was fine but I hardly returned to it. Some of them were really average. This one grabs me, however. The thrashier moments are fun and powerful, the melodic parts are subtle and not generic at all. It really works. My favorite songs are Dogs of Chernobyl, Sacrifice, Mission to Mars and the title track.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2814 on: September 09, 2022, 02:28:29 PM »
I'll chuck a quick ranking out there after 3 listens...

We'll Be Back
Night Stalkers
Célebutante
The Sick, The Dying... and The Dead!
Police Truck
Soldier On!
This Planets on Fire (Burn in Hell)
Life in Hell
Mission to Mars
Killing Time
Dogs of Chernobyl
Psychopathy
Junkie
Sacrifice

Not sure if everyone is the same, but I really love the covers at the end.

Not sure I could do a full ranking, by my early fave is Life In Hell. It has a great F&J vibe. I love when the tempo changes during the spoken word part.

I also love Dogs Of Chernobyl.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2815 on: September 10, 2022, 12:58:25 PM »
The new one’s alright in my book. Not blown away yet. But it did remind me to dig out my original copies of Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction. Not those horrible remixed versions - the original Rust in Peace isn’t even on Spotify anymore.

The System Is Failed is awesome as well, been digging that one a lot too. Great feeling to get back into Megadeth, I almost forgot about them the last couple of years.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2816 on: September 10, 2022, 08:41:25 PM »
Somebody told me today that Dave wants to be Metallica so badly that he even threw his own bass player under the bus….

:icy:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online NoFred

« Reply #2817 on: September 11, 2022, 08:45:40 AM »
Somebody told me today that Dave wants to be Metallica so badly that he even threw his own bass player under the bus….

:omg: :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #2818 on: September 11, 2022, 01:18:42 PM »

I've spun it 3 times now and stand by my early assessment. Great from beginning to end - especially on headphones - with no parts or songs that I feel like fast forwarding or skipping. This continues a trend for me of bands very late in their career putting out excellent albums. Kansas, DT, Metallica, Deth, Maiden, Priest, just to name a few.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2819 on: September 11, 2022, 01:22:07 PM »

I've spun it 3 times now and stand by my early assessment. Great from beginning to end - especially on headphones - with no parts or songs that I feel like fast forwarding or skipping. This continues a trend for me of bands very late in their career putting out excellent albums. Kansas, DT, Metallica, Deth, Maiden, Priest, just to name a few.

Flotsam & Jetsam, Armored Saint, Saxon, Accept, Testament as well.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2820 on: September 11, 2022, 01:22:21 PM »

That’s one of the best worst jokes I’ve ever heard.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2821 on: September 11, 2022, 02:50:10 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: September 11, 2022, 04:24:46 PM »

Jesus, that's pretty fucked up man lol.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2823 on: September 11, 2022, 05:13:33 PM »
I like it.  Can't say more than that after one listen on a bad CD player.  But optimistic.  It is at least as good as most of their other last few albums, which means I will enjoy it for a few months, spin it a decent amount during that time, and then probably forget about it.  But that's fine.  I'm not expecting to be completely blown away by them anymore.  And if this one does end up rising above that, so much the better. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2824 on: September 12, 2022, 06:54:07 AM »
I need to listen to it more, but on my first two listens, I think it's more dynamic and sonically better than Dystopia.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2825 on: September 12, 2022, 08:54:44 AM »
I think this is the most consistent Megadeth in absolute eons and as far as highlights go only Dystopia comes close but The Sick Dying Dead now takes the lead ;D

Very happy fan here \m/

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2826 on: September 12, 2022, 02:29:07 PM »
Definitely a very strong album! I think The Sick... (what a cool opener, without being that heavy), Night Stalkers, Dogs of Chernobyl, Sacrifice, Célebutante and I'll Be Back are all amazing. The covers are great and the rest of the album is very good. I think the only songs that are a bit below, but not bad, are Junkie and Killing Time.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2827 on: September 12, 2022, 05:16:21 PM »
Finally got a copy of this and holy shit, this fucker rips!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2828 on: September 12, 2022, 05:21:39 PM »
I'm disappointed they are only playing the single from the new album on their tour right now.  Seeing them on Wednesday.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2829 on: September 12, 2022, 05:26:41 PM »
Finally got a copy of this and holy shit, this fucker rips!!

:metal :metal

I'm disappointed they are only playing the single from the new album on their tour right now.  Seeing them on Wednesday.

I don't love the setlist at all for this tour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: September 12, 2022, 05:32:23 PM »
Their setlists for the longest time have been safe, generic and quite frankly, boring.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2831 on: September 12, 2022, 05:38:26 PM »

Flotsam obliterates every single Megadeth album and most people have no idea who they are. Such a shame

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2832 on: September 12, 2022, 05:40:22 PM »
Kade, speaking of Flotsam....Life In Hell has a total Flotsam vibe to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: September 12, 2022, 06:02:05 PM »
Kade, speaking of Flotsam....Life In Hell has a total Flotsam vibe to it.

I thought of your comment when I first heard it as it stuck with me, and yeah, I can hear that.  Great song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2834 on: September 12, 2022, 06:02:26 PM »

Flotsam obliterates every single Megadeth album and most people have no idea who they are. Such a shame

Big call.