Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354957 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2765 on: August 11, 2022, 10:42:39 PM »
This one is more of a straight ahead regular Megadeth song.  It sounds like TSHF/UA era to me.  A mix of the Scorpion, Back in the Day and Kick the Chair maybe.  It's a nice tune, it'll sit nicely in the flow of the album I think.  The chorus is simple but will become quite catchy I think.

Listening now. Wow I’m really pumped for this album. Three winning tracks so far.

Indeed.  Kiko takes this band to another level.  Even this song his short solo elevates it again.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 04:55:42 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2766 on: August 12, 2022, 04:09:57 AM »
Yeah agree with others another solid tune albeit was hoping for the chorus to pop more but still...

Also getting lots of TSHF vibes too!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2767 on: August 12, 2022, 07:26:58 AM »
And after repeat listens okay NOW I get it ;D

That chorus is slick!

This may now be my favourite of the 3 singles this far :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2768 on: August 12, 2022, 07:44:06 AM »
This one is more of a straight ahead regular Megadeth song.  It sounds like TSHF/UA era to me.  A mix of the Scorpion, Back in the Day and Kick the Chair maybe.  It's a nice tune, it'll sit nicely in the flow of the album I think.  The chorus is simple but will become quite catchy I think.

I listened to both at work today. An underrated era of the band, one that got then back on track musically.

I don't remember those album much, and I haven't really listened to them much in recent years, but Sleepwalker from UA is a top tier Megadeth track for me  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2769 on: September 02, 2022, 04:23:56 AM »
Surprised no mention of this album released today!?

Currently on third spin and absolutely top notch stuff 🤘

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2770 on: September 02, 2022, 04:26:46 AM »
I did mention it in the 'What album' thread but yea, I am pleasantly surprised. I was fairly confident after hearing the singles, but it is hitting the spot.

Working through a few other new releases then I'm going to go back to it later  :metal

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2771 on: September 02, 2022, 04:58:29 AM »
Ahhh sweet I will take a look at comments in that thread too then hitting the spot fer sure Cheers!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2772 on: September 02, 2022, 05:04:53 AM »
I did mention it in the 'What album' thread but yea, I am pleasantly surprised. I was fairly confident after hearing the singles, but it is hitting the spot.

Working through a few other new releases then I'm going to go back to it later  :metal

Might go out tomorrow and pick up a copy tomorrow.  Good to hear.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2773 on: September 02, 2022, 08:07:29 AM »
I've heard twice and I'm liking it a lot! The band seems to meshing more naturally in this album and stylistically it does sound something from Countdown/Youthanasia era.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2774 on: September 02, 2022, 10:22:36 AM »
I've heard twice and I'm liking it a lot! The band seems to meshing more naturally in this album and stylistically it does sound something from Countdown/Youthanasia era.

Yeah, I'm getting a Youthansia vibe for sure, with flashes of the earliest Megadeth stuff too. It's like they want to go the more mid-tempo, but then you get smacked in the face with some Killing is My Business-type riffs, then back again to mid-tempo. I'm about halfway in on my first listen to the record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2775 on: September 02, 2022, 10:38:03 AM »
I was reading the review on AllMusic this morning (a very good review) and was floored when it mentioned that it has been 6 years since Dystopia was released. How time flies!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2776 on: September 02, 2022, 11:26:29 AM »
I was reading the review on AllMusic this morning (a very good review) and was floored when it mentioned that it has been 6 years since Dystopia was released. How time flies!

I read that review. Six years has passed quickly for sure. But everything that has gone on with Megadeth during that span...wow. A lot for sure.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2777 on: September 02, 2022, 12:34:13 PM »
Will definitely be picking up the new album.  To me, the "must-have" albums are the run from Rust through Youthanasia, and including Hidden Treasures, and then a bit farther down the list, Risk (yup!).  I also really liked The System Has Failed and Dystopia.  I like all the other post-Rust albums, and was always glad to have new music, but rarely listen to them.

As for the pre-Rust albums, I have heard them many times through the years, but never really cared for them.  Yes, I realize there are some "classics" in there.  But as a whole, the songwriting, production, etc. is just a bit too "raw" for me.  Never really suited my taste, even when I finally did start getting into thrash at the tail end of the '80s and into the '90s (yeah, I was a bit late). 

As for the new songs, I like them.  I suspect the new album will follow suit with the other fairly recent ones where I'll buy it, enjoy it for a bit, and then forget about it.  And that's fine.  I actually like the heaviness that their current downtuning brings to the newer songs, even though I think it kind of messes up the older songs, as others have mentioned.  But no real desire to see them live.  I saw them once in summer of '95 headlining a festival in Minnesota, and was glad I did--they were fantastic, but I don't really feel a need to see them again. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #2778 on: September 02, 2022, 02:16:06 PM »
I feel almost exactly the same. Not really sure why but I'll spin a new Deth album a couple months and then that's it. I will say though that about every 5 years I will revisit the discography and always enjoy the ride but they don't have a long shelf life and I've never really been able to figure out why. Alter Bridge is the same for me.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2779 on: September 02, 2022, 02:24:50 PM »
The singles were Ok for me. I don't Love Megadeth, but I enjoy them. And I really dig their concerts! The first song though, on the new record
is great! Being DT fan, I understand the "the song has got to grow a bit". But I love it when I can smile and head bang on the first listen. :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2780 on: September 02, 2022, 03:02:20 PM »

Well for starters, you posted this at 6:24 am! :lol

Although since I start work at 5am, I already had one listen in! ;D

This album fucking rips. Holy shit. Top echelon Megadeth.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2781 on: September 02, 2022, 04:09:01 PM »
Really good album, only a couple of listens in so far but will definitely keep spinning this a fair bit over the next week. Can't decide as yet where it sits in the Megadeth catalogue but yes it will be in the top echelon somewhere I'd say.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2782 on: September 02, 2022, 07:08:48 PM »
I've said this before, but Dave Mustaine is the most underrated musician of his generation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2783 on: September 02, 2022, 07:43:51 PM »
No doubt about it. Obviously his vocals can be a bit polarising and at times he has struggled singing great live but his guitar playing and song writing ability have always been top notch to me. He really is a fantastic guitar player and live he rips through many complicated riffs while also singing and makes it look effortless.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2784 on: September 03, 2022, 11:48:28 PM »
Will definitely be picking up the new album.  To me, the "must-have" albums are the run from Rust through Youthanasia, and including Hidden Treasures, and then a bit farther down the list, Risk (yup!).  I also really liked The System Has Failed and Dystopia...

If I trade you Risk for The World Needs A Hero then you have just named the very same run and albums that are my own essential Megadeth!  I won't be surprised however if am including the Sick Dying Dead in that list before too long...  ;)

Well for starters, you posted this at 6:24 am! :lol

Although since I start work at 5am, I already had one listen in! ;D

This album fucking rips. Holy shit. Top echelon Megadeth.

HA! I probably should've thought of the difference in time-zones when posted that but from where I stood I had already had my time with the record and was eagerly anticipating their next one!  They say you snooze you lose ;D

About my only complaint thus far is the album sounds a little samey through the middle but less so with more spins and getting to know the songs, and besides, the highlights are plenty and well up there! 

Finding myself agreeing with your summary This album fucking rips. Holy shit. Top echelon Megadeth. \m/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2785 on: September 04, 2022, 03:40:32 AM »
I did not pick this up this weekend.  I could listen online but Megadeth are one of those bands I still feel I need to pick the cd up before hearing the full thing. 

This is a great performance though;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ILXKm1hpfQ&list=RD3ILXKm1hpfQ&start_radio=1

Offline emtee

« Reply #2786 on: September 04, 2022, 07:10:37 AM »
Listened last night and was floored by how great it was. Spectacular album for this stage of their career. It rivals anything they've done. Yes, it's that good.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2787 on: September 04, 2022, 08:46:36 AM »
I did not pick this up this weekend.  I could listen online but Megadeth are one of those bands I still feel I need to pick the cd up before hearing the full thing. 

This is a great performance though;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ILXKm1hpfQ&list=RD3ILXKm1hpfQ&start_radio=1

Target has a Lenticular version of the CD, you can reserve yours through a link Megadeth shared on their FB page.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2788 on: September 04, 2022, 09:51:59 AM »
What on earth is Lenticular?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2789 on: September 04, 2022, 06:54:19 PM »
Are you familiar with the CD covers for KISS' Psycho Circus or Tool's Aenima were you move it back and forth and it kinda changes with the motion?  That's lenticular.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2790 on: September 04, 2022, 06:57:13 PM »
Are you familiar with the CD covers for KISS' Psycho Circus or Tool's Aenima were you move it back and forth and it kinda changes with the motion?  That's lenticular.

Oh, ok. When I was a kid, we used to get cards in boxes of yodels that did that, like a prism was ne of them, or maybe the Northern Lights. I didn't know what was the term.

I wonder if I take my actual CD of Psycho Circus and if I move it back and forth, maybe it'll become good.  ;D

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2791 on: September 04, 2022, 08:30:37 PM »

Oh, ok. When I was a kid, we used to get cards in boxes of yodels that did that, like a prism was ne of them, or maybe the Northern Lights. I didn't know what was the term.

I wonder if I take my actual CD of Psycho Circus and if I move it back and forth, maybe it'll become good.  ;D
Haha!  Give it a shot.  Let me know if it works.  My copy isn't good, either.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2792 on: September 05, 2022, 08:41:16 AM »
Gave it a listen on spotify and ... I thought it was very mediocre. All you guys saying how great it is had me hyped, but when hearing it, I thought it was middle of the road Megadeth. Not realy good, not really bad. And I don't like the drumming style, at all.

Hopefully it will grow on me.

And what is Sammy doing there?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2793 on: September 05, 2022, 09:57:33 AM »
Will definitely be picking up the new album.  To me, the "must-have" albums are the run from Rust through Youthanasia, and including Hidden Treasures, and then a bit farther down the list, Risk (yup!).  I also really liked The System Has Failed and Dystopia...

If I trade you Risk for The World Needs A Hero then you have just named the very same run and albums that are my own essential Megadeth!  I won't be surprised however if am including the Sick Dying Dead in that list before too long...  ;)

I love the individual performances on that album--especially Jimmy's drumming.  He was one of my favorite drummers before joining Megadeth, and his performance on that album boosted him even higher in my standings.  That album is a drumming clinic.  And given who preceded him in Megadeth in the drummer's seat, that's no small compliment.  But as much as I like the individual performances and a few songs here and there, I felt like the songwriting on that album was very hit and miss for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DTA

« Reply #2794 on: September 05, 2022, 09:58:46 AM »
Mission To Mars, the title track, Dogs of Chernobyl, and Celebutante are my favorites so far with Mission being one of the most interesting songs they've released in awhile. This version of Megadeth with Kiko/Dirk reminds me of the Neal Morse Band, where the addition of Eric/Bill rejuvenated Neal a bit.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2795 on: September 06, 2022, 01:18:43 AM »
Gave it a listen on spotify and ... I thought it was very mediocre.

Yeah, no kidding.

To quote emtee: "Listened last night and was floored by how great it was. Spectacular album for this stage of their career. It rivals anything they've done. Yes, it's that good." I mean, what?! I love the fact we can all have such divergent opinions, though.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2796 on: September 06, 2022, 03:04:24 AM »
Gave it a listen on spotify and ... I thought it was very mediocre.

Yeah, no kidding.

To quote emtee: "Listened last night and was floored by how great it was. Spectacular album for this stage of their career. It rivals anything they've done. Yes, it's that good." I mean, what?! I love the fact we can all have such divergent opinions, though.

It took a few spins and it was away from Spotify and with CD in hand (that killer coverart and booklet help I might add), but while I maintain the middle section with Sacrifice and Junkie is still a little samey, the highlights won me over and by third spin that middle section wasn't so, well, middle anymore  ;D

My current Sick Dying Dead rankings (minus the bonus tracks and Psychopathy which serves as a cool intro to Killing Time) go like this, from fave to least and always subject to change...

The Sick The Dying The Dead
Soldier On
Night Stalkers
We'll Be Back
Killing Time
Mission To Mars
Celebutante
Life In Hell
Dogs of Chernobyl
Sacrifice
Junkie

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2797 on: September 06, 2022, 03:33:26 AM »
Interestingly enough, those tracks at the bottom of your list are the ones that stood out to me on my first couple of listens. I am enjoying the album more than I thought I would, but it still takes some more spins.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2798 on: September 06, 2022, 03:42:20 AM »
It took a few spins ...

I hope that that will be the case because I like everything they put out since The System Has Failed.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2799 on: September 06, 2022, 07:58:44 AM »
This is a really ripping album - it's awesome to see that Dave still has a lot of fire left in him.   :metal   I like that Dirk has a few writing credits and Kiko has a ton.  Those guys deserve it.

Eddie Trunk recently did a big interview with the band and Dave was really honest when it came to how they choose a setlist when someone asked why In My Darkest Hour wasn't played much anymore.  He said that there's certain songs like Tornado of Souls, which he feels they have to play, but at the same time, the reality is that he picks a set based on whether or not he can perform the vocals.  I liked that he was comfortable enough admitting that there are some songs that he can't sing well anymore, which is why they don't get played.