Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354780 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2730 on: July 22, 2022, 10:35:56 AM »
Whoever pissed Dave off, please keep it going. Pretty solid singles so far.

:metal   Dave always writes the best stuff when he's angry.  I think I like this song better than the first one.

I used to say that Dave writes his best stuff when he's off the wagon, and you can usually tell when the lyrics are pretty "out there."  But as far as I know, he's been "on the wagon" for quite some time now, and this latest stuff is pretty good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Volante99

« Reply #2731 on: July 22, 2022, 03:31:37 PM »
"Nightstalker" kicks some ass, but I feel like it would be a better song if it was about 20-30% slower.
In fact... I actually put it through software and I dig it...gives it a certain heaviness.
Overall, though- the fact that Dave is rocking this hard at almost 62 is a triumph Dude is singlehandedly keeping thrash metal

A bit off topic but how awesome would this song be with Marty Friedman? Kiko Loureiro is a phenomenal guitar player- but almost too clinical. I miss the sense of evil, and danger to Friedman's solos, like he's going to fly off the rails at any moment. I get that Marty's "huge in Japan" or whatever, but maybe we can convince some Saudi royal to deliver a briefcase full of cash to Marty to do one more Rust/Countdown Tour with Dave. Call it the "Rust in Extinction" or "Countdown to Peace" Tour. If not for Megadeth's sake, then for Marty's sake. Such a waste of talent; never knew someone so uncomfortable with the "shredder" label. As if doing guest spots for BabyMetal and solo instrumental albums (the elevator muzak of the metal world) is somehow a more noble endeavor. 2021's Toyko Jukebox had some good moments but the dude needs a band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2732 on: July 22, 2022, 04:25:29 PM »
New song is solid.  Needs another couple of listens.  I quite liked the Ice T bit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2733 on: July 22, 2022, 05:29:44 PM »
Really liking the new Megadeth song, even the Ice-T part is good. Have to say my favourite part though is the short 'bass solo' part with about 1.30 to go, just love the sound of that.

As far as the solos, yeah I do miss Marty and he would be awesome on this track but Kiko does a great job but as Volante99 said probably a little bit too clinical.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2734 on: July 22, 2022, 05:33:03 PM »
Kiko is doing some insane stuff on these two songs solo wise.  Some really creative phrasing and note choices in his leads and very melodic even though it's shred.  Class guitar player.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2735 on: July 22, 2022, 05:43:19 PM »
Kiko is doing some insane stuff on these two songs solo wise.  Some really creative phrasing and note choices in his leads and very melodic even though it's shred.  Class guitar player.

The rhythms on Nightstalkers are amazing.  :metal

This album is fucking shaping up big time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2736 on: July 22, 2022, 06:08:03 PM »
Music is great but I've never been able to get past DM vox  :rollin

Offline Volante99

« Reply #2737 on: July 23, 2022, 02:32:48 AM »
DM’s no Pavarotti but I think his vocals fit with the music, 100%.

Hard to qualify but he’s got this high pitched, irreverent, almost juvenile-like quality owing more to Johnny Rotten and Bon Scott than Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson. I understand why people dislike it but it totally works for me.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2738 on: July 23, 2022, 02:50:45 AM »
I can't get into the classic 80's Megadeth albums because his high singing sounds silly/grating to me, alongside me not liking the 80's metal sound production. But on later records I tend to enjoy his vocals, as it fits the music and I often like the melodies. I love Dystopia and look forward to the new record.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2739 on: July 26, 2022, 04:31:45 AM »
The new single is even better than the first. This is shaping up to be pretty good. Dave really like to name drop different types of weaponry/artillery doesn't he  :rollin he does it in so many songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2740 on: July 26, 2022, 06:44:01 AM »

Hard to qualify but he’s got this high pitched, irreverent, almost juvenile-like quality owing more to Johnny Rotten and Bon Scott than Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson. I understand why people dislike it but it totally works for me.

I'm sometimes picky about vocals, but I kind of dig his voice too.  And on songs like A Tout Le Monde, it's actually, IMO, GOOD.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2741 on: July 26, 2022, 01:59:53 PM »

I'm sometimes picky about vocals, but I kind of dig his voice too.  And on songs like A Tout Le Monde, it's actually, IMO, GOOD.

The '07 alternate arrangement is even more vocally listenable with Cristina Scabbia. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2742 on: July 27, 2022, 08:36:45 AM »
What do you guys think of this?
https://bravewords.com/news/former-megadeth-members-david-ellefson-chris-poland-jeff-young-announce-kings-of-thrash-tour-dates
Playing KIMB and SFSGSW in their entirety.

I generally hate these kinds of things, but this looks kind of interesting. Chaz Leon on vocals? Who the hell is he?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2743 on: July 27, 2022, 08:54:38 AM »
https://bravewords.com/news/former-megadeth-members-david-ellefson-chris-poland-jeff-young-announce-kings-of-thrash-tour-dates

I generally hate these kinds of things, but this looks kind of interesting. Chaz Leon on vocals? Who the hell is he?

http://sdvoyager.com/interview/meet-chaz-leon-primary-band-woke-dead-tribute-megadeth-projects-coming-soon-mission-valley/

Had no idea either...I guess he sings/plays guitar in a Megadeth tribute band

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2744 on: July 27, 2022, 09:16:00 AM »
Cool Nick!

Here's a recent show by Woke Up Dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7vvxPEQAH8

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2745 on: July 27, 2022, 04:44:30 PM »

Yeah, I'm not normally on board with stuff like this but Chris Poland however......

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2746 on: July 27, 2022, 05:07:08 PM »

He certainly is.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2747 on: July 28, 2022, 07:26:12 AM »
Wow I really like these first 2 songs. If the whole record is like that, it'll be my favorite since Rust.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2748 on: July 28, 2022, 10:44:06 AM »
Music is great but I've never been able to get past DM vox  :rollin

I agree about DM vocals. That said, I really dig seeing Megadeth live. Last fall I saw them with Hatebreed, Trivium and LOG. I am not into growly vocals. So..at this particular show I was excited to hear DM sing!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2749 on: August 10, 2022, 08:56:34 PM »
I have been on a huge Megadeth kick lately. How underrated is Dave Mustaine?

Been watching a lot of shows as well.

Graspop 2022 tonight! :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFedMfsTIoc&t=0s

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2750 on: August 10, 2022, 10:49:55 PM »
Love the first two Megadeth songs off the new record. Thought Dystopia was a good one too.

The only thing live these days, and I get it, is that they've dropped the songs a full step. So the dynamics aren't there. It's kind of like mud. This was before Dave's cancer too, so his voice just isn't there any longer. But on the records, still, good stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: August 10, 2022, 11:12:24 PM »
Love the first two Megadeth songs off the new record. Thought Dystopia was a good one too.

The only thing live these days, and I get it, is that they've dropped the songs a full step. So the dynamics aren't there. It's kind of like mud. This was before Dave's cancer too, so his voice just isn't there any longer. But on the records, still, good stuff.

Dystopia was all down to D also I think so I guess they are streamlining everything.  I know what you mean though, the old songs sound totally different.  Half step is fine and not as noticeable, but seems a huge change in dynamics another semitone down.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2752 on: August 11, 2022, 01:36:14 AM »

Dystopia was all down to D also I think so I guess they are streamlining everything.  I know what you mean though, the old songs sound totally different.  Half step is fine and not as noticeable, but seems a huge change in dynamics another semitone down.

Yes. I actually like a lot of stuff from the 80s down a half-step. But that extra step down, and it all goes awry. Tesla has done that with a lot of their songs from the classic records (Edison's Medicine comes to mind) and it just sounds awful.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2753 on: August 11, 2022, 03:48:19 PM »
Soldier On! Another new song out. I like it. That is 3 good songs, really looking forward to the album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2754 on: August 11, 2022, 03:56:39 PM »
Soldier On! Another new song out. I like it. That is 3 good songs, really looking forward to the album.

I'll have to wait until it's Friday here.

Huh. Maybe that's why while I think the songs are awesome, the album lacks a little snap to it. It's an album that I should be listening to a lot more than I do, and maybe that's why. The songs are too good for this album to be ignored.

Yes. I actually like a lot of stuff from the 80s down a half-step. But that extra step down, and it all goes awry. Tesla has done that with a lot of their songs from the classic records (Edison's Medicine comes to mind) and it just sounds awful.

Tesla has been absolutely horrid live. They're fat, seems like they can't play, no Troy (yes, that makes a difference). And their new music absolutely fucking blows.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2755 on: August 11, 2022, 04:00:12 PM »

I'll have to wait until it's Friday here.

Guess I'll have to listen for you then.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2756 on: August 11, 2022, 04:07:01 PM »
This one is more of a straight ahead regular Megadeth song.  It sounds like TSHF/UA era to me.  A mix of the Scorpion, Back in the Day and Kick the Chair maybe.  It's a nice tune, it'll sit nicely in the flow of the album I think.  The chorus is simple but will become quite catchy I think.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2757 on: August 11, 2022, 04:14:55 PM »

Yes, I totally agree. More than a half step down really does start to change the feel and dynamic of the song, recent live Bon Jovi is a perfect example (or is that just because of the terrible vocals....)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2758 on: August 11, 2022, 04:16:31 PM »
This one is more of a straight ahead regular Megadeth song.  It sounds like TSHF/UA era to me.  A mix of the Scorpion, Back in the Day and Kick the Chair maybe.  It's a nice tune, it'll sit nicely in the flow of the album I think.  The chorus is simple but will become quite catchy I think.

I listened to both at work today. An underrated era of the band, one that got then back on track musically.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2759 on: August 11, 2022, 04:25:17 PM »

I listened to both at work today. An underrated era of the band, one that got then back on track musically.

System could be a top 3 Megadeth album for me.  The return of Poland was just incredible, so many good songs on that album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2760 on: August 11, 2022, 04:27:02 PM »
I don't think I'd have it that high, but I kind of took a break from Megadeth through the Youthanasia/Cryptic Writings years. TSHF blew my face off.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2761 on: August 11, 2022, 06:43:40 PM »

Loved System when it came out - it felt like Mustaine & friends more than a proper band effort, but great performances and (for the most part) very good songs. United Abominations starts great but then peters out...I haven't listened to it in a while, so I might not remember it super-well. Might be time to revisit.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2762 on: August 11, 2022, 07:45:23 PM »

System could be a top 3 Megadeth album for me.  The return of Poland was just incredible, so many good songs on that album.

I’m so with you—listened to the hell out of that album when it came out and whenever I revisit it I’m pleasantly surprised by how well it holds up.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2763 on: August 11, 2022, 09:47:41 PM »

Loved System when it came out - it felt like Mustaine & friends more than a proper band effort, but great performances and (for the most part) very good songs. United Abominations starts great but then peters out...I haven't listened to it in a while, so I might not remember it super-well. Might be time to revisit.

TSHF was my first full Megadeth album.  I'd heard scattered songs before then, but I hadn't quite yet gotten to digging into their discography at that point.  Vinnie Colaiuta's drumming in particular is intriguing.  He has the precision, but not really the feel for metal, but it's fascinating to hear someone at that level tackle something out of the norm for him.  I remember reading an article at the time and apparently one of the people in the production of the album said there was nothing to fix about his playing, every note was on the money.  Now Poland is the main attraction for me in relistening to it. 

I need to give United Abominations as a whole another go sometime.  I remember it being panned at the time, but remember kind of liking it, but the only tracks I normally revisit are "Never Walk Alone", "Sleepwalker", and "A Toute Le Monde", mainly just for Cristina. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2764 on: August 11, 2022, 10:31:03 PM »

Listening now. Wow I’m really pumped for this album. Three winning tracks so far.