Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354718 times)

Offline Hanz Gruber

Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2170 on: February 17, 2016, 12:57:46 PM »
I've listened to the first cd twice, but haven't touched the second.  I will, but at the moment I have no urge too.

Anyway, I have Dystopia back in the car and it's a really good record.  I hope Dave can keep this lineup together.

I hope so too.  I appreciate that Dave finds a way to pump out a record every 2 years though.  Even if a Megadeth record is considered a miss (by a large number of fans like Super Collider and Risk were) you know that 2 years later a new one is coming out and has the chance of being great (like this one)

The band sounds like they are getting along great so that is a good sign.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2171 on: February 18, 2016, 04:00:25 AM »
So, gave Dystopia a spin and I gotta say, although never much a fan of Mustaine's vocals, this is a pretty good album. Enjoyed listening to it on the Ipad.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2172 on: February 18, 2016, 04:19:52 AM »
The only negative I could say about Dystopia is that it feels a little short.  I guess adding the bonus tracks would help that but they aren't really up to the quality of the main album songs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #2173 on: February 18, 2016, 05:20:44 AM »
I'd pay a bit to meet Dave and give him a guitar lesson  ;D

Ah, come on, he's not bad. And certainky better than his successor in that other metal band.

Are you sure? Check at 5.22 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTxOIaxb90I

Calvin6s

« Reply #2174 on: February 18, 2016, 06:40:09 AM »

Ah, come on, he's not bad. And certainky better than his successor in that other metal band.

Absolutely.  Mustaine is a pioneer.  Hammett is along for the ride.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2175 on: February 18, 2016, 07:02:12 AM »

So Mustaine has a bad performance, it's shit but it happens.

Kirk "I play only sloppy wahwah solos for the last 25 years" Hammet hasn't had a single good performance in some time. So for me Dave slays Kirk in every guitar playing aspect.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2176 on: February 18, 2016, 11:53:28 AM »

So Mustaine has a bad performance, it's shit but it happens.

Kirk "I play only sloppy wahwah solos for the last 25 years" Hammet hasn't had a single good performance in some time. So for me Dave slays Kirk in every guitar playing aspect.

I think Dave is better than Kirk too but there really is no reason to compare.  I just want Metallica to put out quality orginal material again.

I am thrilled that Dave got kicked out of Metallica.  We would have never had Megadeth if he didn't and a new record every 2 years.

Metallica's early music > Megadeth's early music but ever since the 90's Megadeth has been far superior to Metallica (even with misses like Super Collider and Risk)

I hope that Metallica puts out a great CD that reaches the levels of Dystopia this time around (but I doubt it)  It would be awesome to have Metallica be great again though. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2177 on: February 19, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
Poisonous Shadows is probably one of my favourite Megadeth songs ever already, it's stunning how good it is.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2178 on: February 19, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
Poisonous Shadows is probably one of my favourite Megadeth songs ever already, it's stunning how good it is.

I have to agree there. I've listened to the album only 4 or 5 times now, but this one stood out on first listen. I had not been interested in a Megadeth album in a long time but I decided to check Dystopia out and I'm getting hooked again.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: February 19, 2016, 03:56:48 PM »

Probably my fav on the album, amazing song.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2180 on: February 20, 2016, 03:20:58 AM »
I have to agree, my favorite as well. Unfortunately, not a single song on the album is nowhere as good as Poisonous shadows as far as I'm concerned.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2181 on: February 21, 2016, 03:21:46 AM »
I find it pretty consistent in terms of quality over the whole album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2182 on: February 22, 2016, 04:33:38 AM »
New setlist only has one song from Dystopia, Fatal Illusion.  ???

Calvin6s

« Reply #2183 on: February 22, 2016, 06:08:02 AM »
Anybody read the Mustaine book?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2184 on: February 22, 2016, 07:57:01 AM »
Let me guess, there is not a single song from the five albums prior to it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2185 on: February 22, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »
Let me guess, there is not a single song from the five albums prior to it?

They play Kingmaker.  That's about it.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/megadeth/2016/revention-music-center-houston-tx-3bf35c68.html

Such a generic and uninspired setlist, disappointing.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2186 on: February 22, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »
If you go to a lot of Megadeth concerts, a best of setlist like that would be boring.  But if you rarely or have never seen them live, it is actually a pretty good set.

The new album is really good, so it is surprising it doesn't have at least 3 of those songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2187 on: February 22, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »

I did!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2188 on: February 22, 2016, 02:14:16 PM »
To me only Hanger 18, In my Darkest hour, and Holy wars are the only must plays. They could change everything else and I would be totally fine with it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2189 on: February 22, 2016, 02:49:35 PM »
Personally, I've always felt that Hangar 18 was a little overrated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2190 on: February 22, 2016, 03:02:35 PM »
I just find 1 new song absolute bullshit.  I mean, they release a brilliant new album and they play one of the weakest songs live only, very strange.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2191 on: February 22, 2016, 03:17:25 PM »
That awkward moment when Kingmaker is the most interesting choice in the set list.  :-\

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2192 on: February 22, 2016, 03:22:49 PM »
That awkward moment when Kingmaker is the most interesting choice in the set list.  :-\

Totally correct.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2193 on: February 22, 2016, 03:58:11 PM »

Actually 'Dawn Patrol' seems like a more interesting choice... but not in a good way. By far my least favourite Megadeth track for ruining an otherwise perfect album. No idea why they would include it in a setlist that isn't a 'Rust in Peace' anniversary. Also, the pacing of that setlist looks really wrong to me.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2194 on: February 22, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »

I did!
I checked it out on Sunday.  I skipped the early years part and started the chapter before he met Lars and stopped after Nick left, but not Marty.  Those are the parts I was most interested, so I burned through those pages.  The other parts I'm sure will be a slower read (for me).

What did you think?

Personally, I've always felt that Hangar 18 was a little overrated.

Totally agree.  I like the song, but it isn't in my top songs list.

Wake Up Dead, Holy Wars, In My Darkest Hour would be my highlights of that list.  Love those songs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2195 on: February 22, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
I like Dawn Patrol.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2196 on: February 23, 2016, 05:36:25 AM »
I like Dawn Patrol.  :dunno:

Well, it has an OK bassline, but that's about it. That's literally the entire song. Fair enough if you like it, but it's certainly not for me (and those vocals on top... ugh, so bad).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2197 on: February 23, 2016, 06:52:19 AM »
I never really got Dawn patrol. It more than brings down an otherwise fantastic album. I mean, it's still a great album, but man, what were the guys on when they came up with that?  :lol

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2198 on: February 24, 2016, 03:38:20 PM »

They have now added "The Threat is Real"  so that makes it 2

Truthfully they should play 4 songs from the new album though.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2199 on: February 24, 2016, 04:52:28 PM »
I couldn't recall the setlist from which I saw them live (Clash of the Titans supporting Rust in Peace), so I did a search and found this youtube concert from that era.  The sound isn't great, but the cameradude appears to be someone with the band, so it is a nice piece of history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoFRpvYyY7Y

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: February 24, 2016, 05:05:28 PM »
I never really got Dawn patrol. It more than brings down an otherwise fantastic album. I mean, it's still a great album, but man, what were the guys on when they came up with that?  :lol

Absolutely. It's the very definition of filler. Maybe they'd made a real song out of it and the tapes were lost!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2201 on: February 26, 2016, 02:04:20 PM »

I did!
I checked it out on Sunday.  I skipped the early years part and started the chapter before he met Lars and stopped after Nick left, but not Marty.  Those are the parts I was most interested, so I burned through those pages.  The other parts I'm sure will be a slower read (for me).

What did you think?

I thought it was OK. I was really hoping to hear more about his relationship with Ellefson. He really skipped over Dave leaving then coming back. I would've really wanted to know what went on behind the scenes.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2202 on: February 27, 2016, 08:17:06 PM »
I guess the setlist has more to do with Mustaine's ability to sing it live, based off the video of them performing Dystopia (the song) live.  I don't know if it is Dave not being able to sing the song or sing and play guitar at the same time with the newer songs.  He might be entering that stage in his life where newer things take a bit longer to sink in and/or he can't dedicate as much energy to Megadeth itself as he used to.  He's getting old enough and his kids are getting old enough that he might be feeling it is now or never when it comes to enjoying all things not Megadeth.

Yet at the same time, he is making the most of his time while working Megadeth as evidenced by the studio release.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2203 on: February 27, 2016, 09:41:32 PM »
I enjoyed Dystopia despite the Trumpesque lyrics, I only listened to it for the couple of days before The Astonishing came out and now I'm back listening to it a bit, I think it's their best since TSHF but not better than TSHF itself.
Also something about the vocals on this album doesn't sit right with me, can't tell what it is.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2204 on: February 27, 2016, 09:51:46 PM »
Also something about the vocals on this album doesn't sit right with me, can't tell what it is.

I also find that a little.  The vocals sound great - too great  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au