Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 355060 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1925 on: December 26, 2014, 04:07:29 AM »
1. Hatebreeder
2. Follow The Reaper
3. Are You Dead Yet?
4. Blooddrunk
5. Something Wild
6. Hate Crew Deathroll
7. Halo of Blood
8. Relentless Reckless Forever

Geez ya dinguses, get it right.

Blooddrunk above Something Wild, HCR and Halo of Blood? Now I've seen everything. :P
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:22:22 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: December 26, 2014, 04:14:11 AM »
Yeah, Blooddrunk is by far their weakest album IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1927 on: December 26, 2014, 05:29:39 AM »
I've always disliked Rust in Peace. I don't like any of the songs on that album. Very rough list off the top of my head (will probably even forget some albums):

1. Peace
2. Youth
3. Countdown

I don't see how anyone who put PSBWB and CTE that high could dislike Holy Wars (maybe the greatest Megadeth song ever), Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls...  :\

That's actually how opinions work.

No shit man. He's just surprised is all. Anyways, damn I can't wait to hear what comes out of Megadeth camp soon. Can't wait to catch em on tour
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:35:58 AM by Plasmastrike »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1928 on: December 26, 2014, 10:35:40 PM »
That's actually how opinions work.

Not stepping on other people toes but, that was one of the strangest opinions on Megadeth i've ever heard.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:50:23 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1929 on: December 26, 2014, 11:28:59 PM »
I do tend to have strange opinions with some bands. I wished I liked RiP, I just don't for whatever reason. I've tried. I think it's because none of the songs are straight forward thrash, none of them groove enough for me, and they don't have enough pure melody to get stuck in my head. A song like The Conjuring has a very straightahead riff that I can groove with. The riffs in Holy Wars, as heavy they are, and as much as others like to mosh to them, don't click with me. I wish Megadeth was a bit less progressive, and I say this as someone that loves progressive music. To make this more confusing, I love progressive thrash bands like Coroner and Watchtower. Imagine that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1930 on: December 28, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
I do tend to have strange opinions with some bands. I wished I liked RiP, I just don't for whatever reason. I've tried. I think it's because none of the songs are straight forward thrash, none of them groove enough for me, and they don't have enough pure melody to get stuck in my head. A song like The Conjuring has a very straightahead riff that I can groove with. The riffs in Holy Wars, as heavy they are, and as much as others like to mosh to them, don't click with me. I wish Megadeth was a bit less progressive, and I say this as someone that loves progressive music. To make this more confusing, I love progressive thrash bands like Coroner and Watchtower. Imagine that.

I can totally understand this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1931 on: December 28, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »
I do tend to have strange opinions with some bands. I wished I liked RiP, I just don't for whatever reason. I've tried. I think it's because none of the songs are straight forward thrash, none of them groove enough for me, and they don't have enough pure melody to get stuck in my head.

Better if we agree to disagree then because i think RiP has plenty of these things you pointed out.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1932 on: December 29, 2014, 10:12:25 AM »
I just don't get that. At all. Rust in Peace is pretty much a smorgasbord of every good quality of thrash and speed metal crammed into 40 minutes. There's plenty of straight-forward thrashing parts (end of Five Magics, end of Holy Wars, all of Take No Prisoners), tons of groovy riffage (Mid-section of Hangar 18, Poison Was the Cure, Lucretia), and some of the best solos ever committed to tape (pick one).

I mean, I can never really say an opinion is flat out WRONG. But god damn...this one's close.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1933 on: December 29, 2014, 10:31:19 AM »
I just don't get that. At all. Rust in Peace is pretty much a smorgasbord of every good quality of thrash and speed metal crammed into 40 minutes. There's plenty of straight-forward thrashing parts (end of Five Magics, end of Holy Wars, all of Take No Prisoners), tons of groovy riffage (Mid-section of Hangar 18, Poison Was the Cure, Lucretia), and some of the best solos ever committed to tape (pick one).

I mean, I can never really say an opinion is flat out WRONG. But god damn...this one's close.

From the mind of UMH ushers forth wisdom.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1934 on: December 29, 2014, 12:27:05 PM »
On another note, I listened to The System Has Failed today for the first time in literally forever. It's pretty good. The songs are either holy fuck awesome or oppressively mediocre, but there's nothing on it that I outright hate. Poland's playing on it is sick, as expected.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1935 on: December 29, 2014, 07:34:58 PM »

The end of Five Magics is very straight forward (and thus it's one of my favorite parts of the album) but Dave's nasally voice singing "I master" kind of ruins it for me. The end of Holy Wars isn't straight forward enough for me. Take No Prisoners has wayyyyyy too much stopping and starting for me to headbang too.

Cryptic Writings has more straight forward (aka simple) thrash moments than RiP (The Disintegrators, FFF) and I coincidentally like that album a lot better!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1936 on: December 29, 2014, 07:39:27 PM »

The end of Five Magics is very straight forward (and thus it's one of my favorite parts of the album) but Dave's nasally voice singing "I master" kind of ruins it for me. The end of Holy Wars isn't straight forward enough for me. Take No Prisoners has wayyyyyy too much stopping and starting for me to headbang too.

Cryptic Writings has more straight forward (aka simple) thrash moments than RiP (The Disintegrators, FFF) and I coincidentally like that album a lot better!

I'm also in the camp of think RiP is WAAAAYYY over rated, and an average Megadeth album at best.   But you lose me on Holy Wars.  Greatest. Megadeth. Song. EVAH!!!  Maybe even better than any other song from the Big 4 altogether.  (although Angel of Death could contest it)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1937 on: December 29, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
I have to admit, it is hard for me to imagine someone being a Megadeth fan and NOT thinking RIP is a top 3 Megadeth album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1938 on: December 29, 2014, 07:51:56 PM »
It's very difficult for me to articulate my admittedly messed up  beliefs, but I enjoy "straight forward" thrash, and the thrash songs that I enjoy are both straight forward in drums and guitars. If one of the drums or guitars aren't straight forward enough, I don't enjoy it.

Case in point:

The Devil's Island verse riff from :53 - 1:16. I don't like it. The guitar riff is great. It's galloping and thrashy and simple and I like it. But the drums are too slow. The drums don't match the galloping momentum that the riffs give you. The drums lag behind. I don't like that riff.

The Poison Was the Cure verse riff from 1:00 - 1:35. I don't like it. It's the opposite of DI. The drums this time are very simple and thrashy, but the guitar riff isn't a classic Metallica e-string chuggathon, it's a Dave Mustaine middle of the guitar neck screwaround. Notice that this sounds like 95% of Dave's riffs.

Dave Mustaine has a very unique style of riffing, it's very symphonic as opposed to the braindead chuggachuggachugga DUH chuggachuggachugga DUH riffs that James Hetfield is known for. Maybe this is the best way of explaining my distain for Mustaine. I like my riffs to be simple and Black Sabbath inspired. Lots of palm muted machine gun riffs on the e string. This is why Disposable Heroes is my sort of thing, and any "mediocre" Megadeth song that resembles this (think FFF) is enjoyable to me, while the Megadeth classics (Poison Was The Cure) sound like poop to me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1939 on: December 29, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »
I get what you are saying.  Intellectually, I get it.  But it is just hard to identify with.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1940 on: December 29, 2014, 08:16:29 PM »
Part of it (and I'll admit I'm being really hipster at this point) is just having been there from the beginning. 

It's hard to look at people dumping all this praise on later day "big 4" albums, and completely blowing off the earlier work.   When my friends and I were first falling in love with thrash...there was no Master of Puppets, or Reign in Blood, or Rust In Peace, or Among the Living.   (and there was *absolutely* no Black Album, Seasons in the Abyss, Countdown to Extinction or State of Euphoria).    We were 16 years old, and we were so in love with Ride the Lightning, Hell Awaits, Killing is My Business, and Spreading the Disease that we had pretty much given up listening to anything from old school bands like Judas Priest and Ozzy.    We loved it BECAUSE it was so much more extreme than what anyone else was doing, it just made us want more.   So we dug deeper, and found bands like Sodom, Kreator, Destruction, Venom...and basically anything on the Combat, Metal Blade or Megaforce labels.   

So hearing our beloved *extreme* acts release things like CtE and TBA was a major let down.     But RiP is good...I just happen to like So Far So Good better (my personal favorite Megadeth album)

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1941 on: December 29, 2014, 08:23:44 PM »
Your personal experiences definitely have a huge influence on how you experience and remember media. I came into Megadeth when I was in elementary school. The only band I really knew was Metallica, and I desperately wanted a Metallica 2.0. When I saved up my allowance and found that Megadeth was nothing like Metallica (they really aren't), I was heartbroken, and that disappointment as a 13 year is probably influencing why I find it hard to enjoy them as an adult. It's not entirely that obviously, I can go years without hearing Megadeth, go in with a totally clear head, and hate everything I hear. My childhood experiences perhaps shaped the patterns of logic I follow? I certainly have reasons for why I dislike Megadeth songs, but if I had a slightly different childhood experience, maybe I would have "evolved" differently and been a different person who enjoys Dave Mustaine style riffs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1942 on: December 29, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »
I heard some of the earlier stuff, but it never did anything for me.  Master of Puppets was the first thrash I heard that I even kind of liked.  But never bought it.  Heard plenty of early Megadeth and did not like.  Heard AJFA and liked it, but didn't buy it (not at first).  Grew to like it more and more, and bought the Black album on release day.  Then I went back and got RTL, Puppets and AJFA and loved those as well.  Heard RiP, but it still didn't quite click with me.  CTE is what good me hooked, and then I went back and fell in love with RiP by the time Youthanasia and Hidden Treasures were out.  But I never liked the earlier albums from those bands and still don't (and never liked Slayer or Anthrax at all).  I guess I'm not an "old school thrash fan," by definition.  But to me, those albums by those two bands were the epitome of all that was good about the genre.  That is my "golden age of thrash" for me personally. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: December 29, 2014, 10:22:47 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1944 on: December 30, 2014, 02:17:46 PM »
Your personal experiences definitely have a huge influence on how you experience and remember media. I came into Megadeth when I was in elementary school. The only band I really knew was Metallica, and I desperately wanted a Metallica 2.0. When I saved up my allowance and found that Megadeth was nothing like Metallica (they really aren't), I was heartbroken, and that disappointment as a 13 year is probably influencing why I find it hard to enjoy them as an adult.
Dude, you were 13 in elementary school?? Well, now that explains everything! :lol

So hearing our beloved *extreme* acts release things like CtE and TBA was a major let down.     But RiP is good...I just happen to like So Far So Good better (my personal favorite Megadeth album)
J Dude. Thank you. Yes, CtE was a huge letdown, and I did not care for Youth either. I was done with Megadeth at that point. And SFSGSW is also MY fave too. But RiP is a friggin' masterpiece. I don't know how that can even be debated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1945 on: December 30, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
CtE is pretty much their Black Album, great metal record on his own but, compared to RiP, it sure feels disappointing.
That serves for Youthanasia too, good but disappointing next to CtE.

Back when i was into thrash metal, i didn't care much for these two albums mostly because i wanted the old Megadeth back, i guess.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:07:52 PM by Outcrier »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1946 on: December 30, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »
CtE is pretty much their Black Album, 
Yes, I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1947 on: December 30, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
CtE is pretty much their Black Album, 
Yes, I agree.

I will add that the fact that it followed on the heels of The Black Album just made Dave really pathetic in my eyes.   He started this band wanted to be heavier and more extreme than Metallica.  The chip on his shoulder made him want to "out thrash" the bigger thrash band.   But when he saw Metallica cash in....instead of taking the heavier road, he just followed the trend.    He had a golden opportunity to really put his fist down and make a statement, and instead he just tried to follow in their footsteps.   

I'll agree that Youthanasia was a bit more of the same, but for some reason I liked many of the riffs just a tad better.   I seem to remember that I liked Train of Consequences better than anything off of CtE anyway. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1948 on: December 30, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »
You guys are crazy.  CtE is excellent beyond reproach. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: December 31, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
CTE is obviously nowhere near as heavy as the pre-1992 Megadeth, but it's still way the shit heavier than TBA. Same with every Megadeth album and its Metallica "counterpart" so to speak.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1950 on: January 01, 2015, 09:15:29 AM »
CTE is obviously nowhere near as heavy as the pre-1992 Megadeth, but it's still way the shit heavier than TBA.

Agreed… sounds like some of you guys have never listened to Ashes In Your Mouth before  :metal

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1951 on: January 01, 2015, 06:40:42 PM »
I don't have anything more to add to this conversation other than Dave Mustaine wasn't impressed with bands using symphonies in their music because the band had already done that with Symphony of Destruction. He had also used industrial music in Trent Reznor's remix of Symphony of Destruction, so he wasn't interested in that style of music, and that hey had already "been there, done that."

I sincerely hate Dave Mustaine.

Offline dreamtheaters#1fan

« Reply #1952 on: January 01, 2015, 06:47:06 PM »
I don't have anything more to add to this conversation other than Dave Mustaine wasn't impressed with bands using symphonies in their music because the band had already done that with Symphony of Destruction. He had also used industrial music in Trent Reznor's remix of Symphony of Destruction, so he wasn't interested in that style of music, and that hey had already "been there, done that."

I sincerely hate Dave Mustaine.

All of this will weigh heavily in my mind if he ever asks me to marry him.  As it is, though, I can just appreciate the music.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1953 on: February 24, 2015, 05:12:14 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1954 on: February 24, 2015, 06:23:19 PM »
That's terrible, man.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1955 on: February 24, 2015, 06:27:51 PM »
:P

Unfortunately the song is so overplayed that this is probably the preferable version for me heh.

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #1956 on: March 05, 2015, 02:43:31 PM »
I don't get why the 2004 remasters had to differ so much from the orginals.  The originals were so much better.  They're like totally different songs.  Different solos, less harmonies, and everything else.  :censored

Offline Cable

« Reply #1957 on: March 05, 2015, 05:44:34 PM »

I'll agree that Youthanasia was a bit more of the same, but for some reason I liked many of the riffs just a tad better.   I seem to remember that I liked Train of Consequences better than anything off of CtE anyway.

Yup about Youth > CTE. Although it was my first album, which I think taints views at time. But there isn't really a bad song on it, and I liked the more focused direction. And the melodies I felt were just superior.

*goes and adds album to my phone to listen to tomorrow*
---

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1958 on: March 06, 2015, 12:32:48 AM »
Youthanasia is great, CTE has way too much filler.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1959 on: March 06, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »
Youthanasia has its fair share of filler towards the end of the album.  CTE is far more consistent.  But I prefer Youth over it.  The first 6-7 songs are outstanding.