Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 353957 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1855 on: December 04, 2014, 05:11:33 PM »
As many negative stories as I've heard, I guess I got lucky the one time I saw them, because they unequivocally BROUGHT IT for that show.  And Flotsam as openers were great too.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1856 on: December 05, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »
They kicked ludicrous amounts of ass when I saw them with Slayer and Testament for American Carnage.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1857 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »
I listened to Hidden Treasures last night for the first time in years.  Man, there are some good tracks.  Their B-sides were better than most bands' hits back in the day.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1858 on: December 05, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »
As many negative stories as I've heard, I guess I got lucky the one time I saw them, because they unequivocally BROUGHT IT for that show.  And Flotsam as openers were great too.

This tour was the last time I saw both of these bands. Unfotrunately, it was 1995 and each were supporting their worst albums to that point. And their live shows reflected it. I love Flotsam, and they were just OK, and Megadeth looked worn and tired, especially Mustaine. It was brutal to watch them that night.
Korn was also on that bill.

I listened to Hidden Treasures last night for the first time in years.  Man, there are some good tracks.  Their B-sides were better than most bands' hits back in the day.
Hidden Treasures is pretty good. I wish Def leppard would've released a collection of their Hysteria B Sides. They were better than the album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1859 on: December 05, 2014, 01:09:27 PM »

This tour was the last time I saw both of these bands. Unfotrunately, it was 1995 and each were supporting their worst albums to that point. And their live shows reflected it. I love Flotsam, and they were just OK, and Megadeth looked worn and tired, especially Mustaine. It was brutal to watch them that night.
Korn was also on that bill.

Well, since you just said Megadeth's was "pretty good," I don't think it could qualify as their worst.  And with Flotsam, they were definitely supporting their best album ever, so, yeah, I think you need to lay off the hallucinogens.  Flotsam have NEVER equaled Drift, and I don't think they ever will. 

And, yeah, I remember Korn as well.  And Fear Factory.  Didn't care for either of them.  But Flotsam and Megadeth made it worthwhile.  Both bands were completely ON for that show.

I wish Def leppard would've released a collection of their Hysteria B Sides. They were better than the album.

Uh...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Active  :lol  As for being "better than the album," I am assuming you know the story behind those songs, right?  They WERE the album before Joe and the guys decided to re-record the entire thing because of Thriller.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1860 on: December 05, 2014, 01:20:20 PM »
I spent the entire Korn set in the lobby. Yes, Fear Factory. That was it.

I am assuming you know the story behind those songs, right?  They WERE the album before Joe and the guys decided to re-record the entire thing because of Thriller.
I remember them having the album in the can with Jim Steinman as producer. Are you telling me that the b sides were part of that? I would've loved to have heard the Steinman version. Has it ever seen the light of day?

Any mention of Flotsam is a good thing, so I'll just respectfully disagree on Drift.

I think you need to lay off the hallucinogens. 
:lol
Yeah, that would help huh?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1861 on: December 05, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »
I remember them having the album in the can with Jim Steinman as producer. Are you telling me that the b sides were part of that? I would've loved to have heard the Steinman version. Has it ever seen the light of day?

I don't remember the part about Steinman, but yeah, that could be it.  Yes, the original version of the album had most of what eventually became B-sides with a few of the songs that eventually became part of the album.  I am not sure whether the definitive list of the original tracks has ever been released anywhere.  But basically, yeah, they had the album done with songs like Ring Of Fire and Ride Into The Sun being original album tracks, but Joe and co. were so obsessed with trying to equal Thriller in terms of an album with high-charting singles that they re-did the entire thing.  A couple of times.  That is why the album took so long to release.  The popular excuse at the time was that it was because of Rick's accident, but that actually had very little to do with it.  They just couldn't get an album done that they were happy with that they felt could rival Thriller.

Any mention of Flotsam is a good thing, so I'll just respectfully disagree on Drift.

:biggrin:  I'm just pushing your buttons.  I mean, I really DO feel that way about Drift, but I said it the way I did just to get a rise.  That album just works for me.  And their others don't.  I like a few songs here and there.  But Drift is just the only album that works from start to finish for me.  Different tastes...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1862 on: December 05, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
I distinctly remember a Kerrang article basically saying that the album was done. And then they ended up reworking it. Ride Into The Sun and Ring Of Fire are excellent. I remember buying the 45's at the time. They would all eventually form a puzzle of the album cover.

I seriously almost puked when Hysteria came out.

Speaking of Def Leppard, time has not been Rick Savage's friend.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: December 05, 2014, 11:28:45 PM »
If you want an album with stuff like that on it , Retroactive is the way to go.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1864 on: December 08, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1865 on: December 08, 2014, 01:19:20 PM »
Well, so am I, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1866 on: December 08, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
Yeah but you're Bosk. He's Not!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: December 08, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »
I don't know if the metal world would be able to contain itself if the classic lineup came back. I just don't think Marty would do it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1868 on: December 08, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »
I don't know if the metal world would be able to contain itself if the classic lineup came back. I just don't think Marty would do it.

Yeah, I simply can't see it either.  Maybe for just a reunion tour or something, but I don't see him rejoining full time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1869 on: December 09, 2014, 12:40:39 AM »

I didn't know you used to play in Megadeth!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1870 on: December 09, 2014, 08:11:40 AM »

I didn't know you used to play in Megadeth!

No, I used to play with Megadeth.  As in, they were my plaything.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: December 09, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »
Now you just play with madness ! :neverusethis:

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1872 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
I remember as a kid I used to play with my toys and I'd always make Megadeth touch Spice Girls in inappropriate areas

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: December 09, 2014, 05:11:50 PM »
Dave Mustard Stain touching The Spice Rack Girls in their Zig A Zig Ahs ?!  :o

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1874 on: December 09, 2014, 06:54:40 PM »
In before Chris Poland/Gar Samuelson rejoining.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1875 on: December 09, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »
Gar Samuelson kinda died

But he was the best drummer the band ever had IMO. Followed by Menza.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1876 on: December 09, 2014, 07:22:06 PM »
Gar Samuelson kinda died

I'll believe it when I hear it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1877 on: December 10, 2014, 03:09:24 AM »
lol necrodrummer

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1878 on: December 10, 2014, 04:30:04 AM »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: December 10, 2014, 08:19:41 AM »
Yeah he died a long time ago. I don't think Chris would rejoin. He seemed bored with Megadeth even in the 80s.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: December 10, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
That seems like it could be incredibly cool.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1882 on: December 12, 2014, 09:33:47 AM »
Could this video have the new drummer in it? Filmed by Dave Mustaine's son Justis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae0iRUAZi68

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: December 12, 2014, 10:51:40 AM »
Lot of people in the comments saying it's Menza because reasons. I don't know if any of them actually know what they're talking about or just trying to invoke the law of attraction.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: December 12, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1885 on: December 14, 2014, 11:54:46 PM »
...They should just call it The Daves.

nah. MegaDave for sure. i s'pose MegaDave(s), if you must.

personally, ive had them labelled as MegaDave & The DethBoyz for a decade, circa.

There are strong signs of the RIP lineup getting back together so my money is on that right now

Signs where? where signs?
https://www.wolverinekills.com/2014/11/29/megadeth-rust-in-peace-line-up-reuniting/

here's what you can read into that...wishful thinking on Ellefson's part. kinda funny that he could'nt give two shits about following Marty (or Nick) until said wishfulness.

anyway, i can't really say much about Nick. all's i know about him is he's playing with two other former MegaDave members in a new band these days (funny, none of the three ever actually played together in Megadeth; a meeting of different eras, kinda neat).
but as for Marty, well, he just put out an album that probably trumps the best of MegaDave's releases. apparently no one's aware of it, as i don't see it in anyone's albums of the year lists, but he's done a shit ton of press for it...and i think in just about every interview, he's been asked about reuniting the classic Megadave lineup, and the guy doesn't sound interested in the slightest.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:08:28 AM by pain of occupation »

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1886 on: December 15, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
Supposedly the mystery drummer is Tony Laureano, who's the band's drum tech and has also played in a bunch of metal bands in the past.

It makes sense though. Why not give him a shot first? Plus, he's probably a lot cheaper than Drover. I just can't see Mustaine and his ego letting someone like Lombardo or Jordison in the band.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1887 on: December 15, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »
Makes sense, wasn't Chuck Behler Gar Samuelson's drum tech or summat?  Or was Nick Menza Chuck Behler's drum tech. I forget.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #1888 on: December 16, 2014, 03:40:59 AM »
Makes sense, wasn't Chuck Behler Gar Samuelson's drum tech or summat?  Or was Nick Menza Chuck Behler's drum tech. I forget.

Chuck Behler was Gar Samuelson's drum tech and Nick Menza was Chuck Behler's drum tech.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1889 on: December 16, 2014, 03:42:00 AM »
Ha!  Double right.