Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354732 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1785 on: November 28, 2014, 08:01:47 PM »
Supercollider was god awful. Easily the worst album I heard last year. Endgame was great and I thought Thirteen was better than people gave it credit for.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1786 on: November 29, 2014, 07:48:54 AM »
Broderick was just a little step under Friedman for me. Dude was insanely good and criminally under-utilized after Endgame.

This.
And imo Dave should rather end Megadeth than do another album as bad as the last two.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1787 on: November 29, 2014, 08:21:08 AM »
Portnoy should totally join.

Didn't even think about that. Man, that would be awesome.

That...actually would.  I am not sure Mustaine and Portnoy could co-exist in a band, but then again, maybe having a strong personality in the driver's seat is just what Mike needs.  Musically, and from a standpoint of the size and fame of the band, I think this would actually be an ideal gig for Mike.  While the prog side would definitely be lacking, there is some challenging metal drumming in Megadeth's music, and I think Mike would have fun with it.  And he could still get his prog fix with TA and Neal.  Even though nothing has been said about any sort of connection, it would be awesome if this worked out.
Mike Portnoy posted on FB that he's starting his work on a new ''secret project'' on Monday. Megadeth?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1788 on: November 29, 2014, 08:39:08 AM »
I'd be fine with that!
He has some history with Ellefson with the Hail stuff.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1789 on: November 29, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
Mike Portnoy posted on FB that he's starting his work on a new ''secret project'' on Monday. Megadeth?

I highly doubt it. Considering that he's been on vacation, even if he was interested, him coming back would mean talks, contracts, things like that, not going right into working on the project, which, presumably would be an album.
Even Dave, what with his mother in law's body turning up and everything, I don't think is in the mindset to be working on an album right now.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1790 on: November 29, 2014, 12:24:20 PM »
Well clearly MP isn't on vacation anymore since he's getting to work on a project next week for 2015. Megadeth fits that bill just fine. He could rehearse with the band and stuff while legal things are still being sorted out, it'll just be awhile before they can officially reveal him as the drummer, that's why nothing has been said yet (and that goes for any drummer they end up with).
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1791 on: November 29, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
I've never been a fan of Dave Mustaine's leads. I've always hated his tone and thought it sounded way too "trebley," and I've always found them very uninspired, repetitive and uncreative. Very pentatonic for lack of a better term, not as... experimental as I'd like them to be?

I could make a hundred posts with all my unpopular opinions on this band, but I'd just like to add that I've never liked Rust in Peace, and have always LOVED TWNAH.

Return to Hangar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hangar 18.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:50:20 PM by XB0BX »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1792 on: November 29, 2014, 04:02:28 PM »
I haven't really been "into Megadeth" in a long time...but I'm with XBOBX on that last point.   I think RIP is sorely OVERRATED and I thought TWNAH was a great return to form. 

To tell you the truth, all the singles I've heard since then have just sounded so "Megadeth by the numbers" that I haven't really bothered to listen to the albums.    Add that to the fact that I'm just not that into thrash any more...and I hate Dave Mustaine... I guess I just don't bother with Megadeth any more.   

Well...I say I'm not into thrash, but at the same time the last two Testament albums and the newest one from Forbidden would almost have me eating those words.   So maybe it just takes the right album.

SFSGSW is still my favorite Megadeth album (the original...not that god-awful remix).   And I love Killing is My Business as well.     RIP was good, but not as good as its predecessor to my ears, and then Countdown to Extinction was just terrible.   Youthanasia was a bit better, but still not great.   However I really thought Cryptic Writings was a surprisingly good album.    Risk was an absolute abomination.    TWNAH was a really great comeback.    But honestly, I haven't cared enough about any of it to keep coming back.   So I just gave up.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1793 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »
I haven't really been "into Megadeth" in a long time...but I'm with XBOBX on that last point.   I think RIP is sorely OVERRATED and I thought TWNAH was a great return to form. 

To tell you the truth, all the singles I've heard since then have just sounded so "Megadeth by the numbers" that I haven't really bothered to listen to the albums.    Add that to the fact that I'm just not that into thrash any more...and I hate Dave Mustaine... I guess I just don't bother with Megadeth any more.   

Well...I say I'm not into thrash, but at the same time the last two Testament albums and the newest one from Forbidden would almost have me eating those words.   So maybe it just takes the right album.

SFSGSW is still my favorite Megadeth album (the original...not that god-awful remix).   And I love Killing is My Business as well.     RIP was good, but not as good as its predecessor to my ears, and then Countdown to Extinction was just terrible.   Youthanasia was a bit better, but still not great.   However I really thought Cryptic Writings was a surprisingly good album.    Risk was an absolute abomination.    TWNAH was a really great comeback.    But honestly, I haven't cared enough about any of it to keep coming back.   So I just gave up.

Lots to chew on here.

SFSGSW...my favorite too!!!
RIP..NOT overrated
TWNAH...yes a strong comeback

Last two Testament albums....freaking awesome, and I was never a big Testament guy.

Back to TWNAH. I would say that each successive album was a little better than the previous..so TWNAH builds into TSAF, which builds into UA, until finally climaxing with Endgame.

And yes, Risk sucks. Would've made a great Alice Cooper record, but not Megadeth.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1794 on: November 29, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
People like TWNAH?

That's it, I've heard everything now.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1795 on: November 29, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »
I felt it was a step in the right direction, if anything.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1796 on: November 30, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
TWNAH is the last great Megadeth album, real talk.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1797 on: November 30, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »
TAC...  If you're into classic Bay Area thrash, and liked the last two Testament albums, you REALLY need to check out Forbidden's comeback album Omega Wave.  Freakin amazing.   Too bad it just flew under the radar and the band dissolved not long after making it due to the fact that no one noticed.   But it's every bit the equal of the two Testament albums.   They just didn't have the pull of being as big as Testament.

People are saying great things about the Death Angel reunion as well, but I haven't heard it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1798 on: November 30, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »
I didn't notice it either. I had Evil back in the day on vinyl. I also had the Vio-lence album too. Never really followed up with either band.

Just checked some Omega Wave samples. It sounds damn good? :metal

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1799 on: November 30, 2014, 06:04:23 PM »

No, just no.

UA has a few standouts (the opening track, Sleepwalker, is my favorite Megadeth song, and there are at least three other great tracks), and Endgame is amazing.

I will acknowledge that the remainer of their post-TWNAH material is not that great. Thirteen was ok, I have not yet listened to Super Collider, and I dislike the production of The System Has Failed to such an extent that I have yet to get past the second song.  :biggrin:
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1800 on: November 30, 2014, 07:08:47 PM »

No, just no.

UA has a few standouts (the opening track, Sleepwalker, is my favorite Megadeth song, and there are at least three other great tracks), and Endgame is amazing.

I will acknowledge that the remainer of their post-TWNAH material is not that great. Thirteen was ok, I have not yet listened to Super Collider, and I dislike the production of The System Has Failed to such an extent that I have yet to get past the second song.  :biggrin:

UA does what it says on the tin, and IS an abomination.  The only thing that COULD give TWNAH a run for its money is TSHF.  Chris Poland ftw.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1801 on: November 30, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »
TSHF is top 3 Deth IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1802 on: November 30, 2014, 08:48:49 PM »
I could make a hundred posts with all my unpopular opinions on this band, but I'd just like to add that I've never liked Rust in Peace, and have always LOVED TWNAH.

That's it, I've heard everything now.  :lol
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: December 01, 2014, 12:10:34 AM »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

« Reply #1804 on: December 01, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
Well clearly MP isn't on vacation anymore since he's getting to work on a project next week for 2015. Megadeth fits that bill just fine. He could rehearse with the band and stuff while legal things are still being sorted out, it'll just be awhile before they can officially reveal him as the drummer, that's why nothing has been said yet (and that goes for any drummer they end up with).

Yeah, but unless one of them called the other while MP was on his last days of vacation to arrange it, I highly doubt it could've happened that fast. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. I just wouldn't hold my breath.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1805 on: December 01, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
Endgame IMO is one of Megadeth's weakest.  It does absolutely nothing for me.

SC IMO was pretty good.

Bosk, Wolfking's account has been hacked!

lol.  Everyone knows my opinions on albums are a bit off.  Endgame just did nothing for me, and I tried many times.  Maybe I will try again.

Hey, don't look at me.  I am of the opinion that Risk is a great album and is in the top 4 Megadeth albums ever, so...  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #1806 on: December 01, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »
Hey, don't look at me.  I am of the opinion that Risk is a great album and is in the top 4 Megadeth albums ever, so...  :dunno:

Risk is pretty awesome. Although I have to say, the Remixed/Remastered Edition is where it's at for taht album. It really gave it a much needed boost in that oomph.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1807 on: December 01, 2014, 10:51:38 AM »
As far as ruling out MP because things would have happened "too quickly," keep in mind a couple of things:
1.  Mike already has a relationship with Mustaine and Ellefson, so things could indeed fall into place VERY quickly.  I tend to think that if Mustaine called Portnoy and said, "hey, our drummer is out.  You interested," Mike probably would not hesitate to accept right on the spot.
2.  Mike has long had a habit of jumping the gun and being premature about things, so even if it might be too early to have all the details inked, him considering it a done deal in his mind simply based on initial overtures would not be out of character.

Not saying any of this means he IS the guy.  But the timing alone isn't enough to rule him out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1808 on: December 01, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »

Risk is pretty awesome. Although I have to say, the Remixed/Remastered Edition is where it's at for taht album. It really gave it a much needed boost in that oomph.

I actually haven't heard that edition.  I meant to pick it up, but have never gotten around to it.  But despite a few things that don't work, there are some REALLY solid songs on that album.  Time the Beginning/End (if you consider them one song) is one of my all-time favorite Megadeth pieces.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1809 on: December 01, 2014, 10:56:01 AM »
If he did accept the gig I will interested to see if it's just as a studio hired gun and maybe for 1 tour until the slot is filled.

He has made a very public commitment to TWD. I would be surprised if he accepted anything that would interfere with that
commitment.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1810 on: December 01, 2014, 11:06:06 AM »
He has made a very public commitment to TWD. I would be surprised if he accepted anything that would interfere with that
commitment.

Very true.  But, hypothetically, I think there are a couple of factors:
1.  Megadeth is comparatively huge relative to other opportunities Mike currently has available, so making an "adjustment" to his present commitments if this opportunity presented itself might not be out of the question.
2.  I think that neither project is so active that adjustments in the schedule could not be made to accommodate.  I think he could probably work it out.  In a way, Megadeth would be ideal from that standpoint.  They are big enough that it would be a great gig to earn some more serious cash and get him out on bigger stages, but they aren't HUGE anymore and are a bit less busy so that he could still do other things, time (and Mustaine) permitting.

I dunno.  I still think it is more likely than not that he will NOT be the next Megadeth drummer.  But so far, none of the reasons I have seen should be considered insurmountable hurdles. 

« Reply #1811 on: December 01, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »
I actually haven't heard that edition.  I meant to pick it up, but have never gotten around to it.  But despite a few things that don't work, there are some REALLY solid songs on that album.  Time the Beginning/End (if you consider them one song) is one of my all-time favorite Megadeth pieces.

I agree. And this goes back to what I said earlier. The reason Risk has been so panned is because people pigeon holed Megadeth into the "Thrash" subgenre. But as I said, they're very influenced by traditional Heavy Metal, and they're very good at writing that kind of music. Of course it's not going to appeal very much to the kind of a crowd whose idea of a good time is in the middle of a mosh pit (not my cup of tea, personally), but on its own merits, it's excellent. And Crush Em is a fantastic rock anthem.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1812 on: December 01, 2014, 02:23:53 PM »
tbh I used to think Nick Menza and Mike Portnoy were the same guy back in the 90s so it would work out great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1813 on: December 01, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »
Still nothing from Dave?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: December 01, 2014, 04:43:03 PM »
Still nothing from Dave.

He's probably taking his time to make sure his press release has just the right amount of tactless arrogance.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1815 on: December 01, 2014, 04:59:15 PM »
He's also lost his mother in law in recent days so might have other things on his mind..............although he has been finding time to promote CD signing , so that might void that theory  ::)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 05:25:47 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1816 on: December 01, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »
What Brent said, I'm sure his mother in law is reason behind him being quiet.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1817 on: December 01, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »
Dave Mustaine is a bad human being. His political beliefs are poisonous.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1818 on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »
Dave Mustaine is a bad human being. His political beliefs are poisonous.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1819 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:54 AM »
commitment.

Very true.  But, hypothetically, I think there are a couple of factors:
1.  Megadeth is comparatively huge relative to other opportunities Mike currently has available, so making an "adjustment" to his present commitments if this opportunity presented itself might not be out of the question.
2.  I think that neither project is so active that adjustments in the schedule could not be made to accommodate.  I think he could probably work it out.  In a way, Megadeth would be ideal from that standpoint.  They are big enough that it would be a great gig to earn some more serious cash and get him out on bigger stages, but they aren't HUGE anymore and are a bit less busy so that he could still do other things, time (and Mustaine) permitting.

I dunno.  I still think it is more likely than not that he will NOT be the next Megadeth drummer.  But so far, none of the reasons I have seen should be considered insurmountable hurdles.
Pretty much this. There are strong signs of the RIP lineup getting back together so my money is on that right now, but if not I think MP is a good bet.

To be completely honest I don't think TWD will last that long. Maybe one or two new albums at most. These supergroups tend to not last very long, especially when one or more of the members have bigger commitments. Just look at what happened to Chickenfoot, or more recently BCC (granted other factors seemed to be bigger causes for that split). If MP wants an actual full time band with longevity, unless he finds a bunch of young musicians to start a brand new band, he's gonna have to join an already established act. Megadeth could be the ticket. The only question after that is how long would he last in that band.  :lol