Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354964 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1645 on: June 09, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »
Yeah, I must agree with my countryman here. Imho, they should have hung up after Endgame - talk about going out with a bang! Though they'll probably stay in the business as Het & Co. do, so no luck there. :(
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1646 on: June 10, 2013, 09:03:16 AM »
Honestly, I don't get the criticism.  After one listen, I'm liking what I hear.  Too early to tell for sure, but so far, I'm liking Super Collider better than anything outside of my Megadeth "big 4" albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Hayden

« Reply #1647 on: June 11, 2013, 09:18:15 AM »
The album is really growing on me too. My initial criticisms are beginning to fade in the wake of the overall quality of the songs, and instead of getting hung up on minor niggles and possible improvements, I'm kinda just accepting the songs for what they are, and I'm getting a real kick out of them in the process.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #1648 on: June 11, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
I kinda thought Megadeth should have stopped after The System Has Failed. There was an energy that Megadeth had I thought ended around that point. UA was a huge disappointment for me and 13 didn't impress me. This new one Super Collider is worse in my mind. Sure, it sounds like Youthanasia in that is more melodic than speed metal like The System Has Failed, however Youthanasia has a very vibrant energy to it this album doesn't come close to mimicking. I'm sure this album can grow, but I do find about as boring as the past few albums were.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Hayden

« Reply #1649 on: June 12, 2013, 09:09:42 AM »
I kinda thought Megadeth should have stopped after The System Has Failed. There was an energy that Megadeth had I thought ended around that point. UA was a huge disappointment for me and 13 didn't impress me. This new one Super Collider is worse in my mind. Sure, it sounds like Youthanasia in that is more melodic than speed metal like The System Has Failed, however Youthanasia has a very vibrant energy to it this album doesn't come close to mimicking. I'm sure this album can grow, but I do find about as boring as the past few albums were.

I fail to see a mention of 'Endgame' here. If you haven't listened to it, then I highly suggest you do. It might just change your stance.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1650 on: June 12, 2013, 09:10:35 AM »
One listen through and it's just OK.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1651 on: June 12, 2013, 10:01:09 AM »

I fail to see a mention of 'Endgame' here. If you haven't listened to it, then I highly suggest you do. It might just change your stance.

Agreed. Endgame is a top 3 deth album for me, you're really missing out big time if you haven't heard it.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1652 on: June 12, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »

Agreed. Endgame is a top 3 deth album for me, you're really missing out big time if you haven't heard it.

Agreed as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1653 on: June 12, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
Endgame is my #3 Megadeth album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Hayden

« Reply #1654 on: June 12, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
'Endgame' is unashamedly my #1.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #1655 on: June 17, 2013, 08:59:15 AM »

I listened to Endgame back when it was released and I wasn't impressed with it as much as The System Has Failed impressed me. I'll spin again here at some point and see if that opinion has changed but right now I find Endgame only OK.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1656 on: June 30, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »
I just found out that they've been playing Ashes In Your Mouth live this year... my life will be complete if they play it in August when I see them  :metal  :metal  :metal

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #1657 on: July 01, 2013, 02:37:14 AM »

*shrug*

It's a bottom 3 Megadeth album for me, along with, though better than, UA and TWNAH.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1658 on: July 01, 2013, 08:44:35 AM »
The biggest problem Super Collider has is that it has lousy timing.  It is unfortunate that it came out so close to Queensryche's album, because I have been listening mostly to Queensryche and little else since that came out.  But I did listen to Super Collider a bit more over the end of last week and the weekend, and I have to say, I really like it.  I think it's a solid effort.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1659 on: July 01, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »
Endgame is actually a really good album, IMO.

I need to get around to Super Collider, but there's just so much right now I need to listen to first. How does it compare to 13?

I really don't like 13 :-\

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1660 on: July 01, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »
Super Collider is like Bon Jovi rock but with Dave Mustaine and frustrating moments of shred that get buried underneath more rawwwwk.

I also don't like 13 one bit. blegh.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1661 on: July 01, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »
I own 13 but really only because I just love Megadeth and I want all their albums. I've tried to finish the album 3 or 4 times but can never finish. I just get bored :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1662 on: July 01, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »
I need to get around to Super Collider, but there's just so much right now I need to listen to first. How does it compare to 13?

I rank Super Collider 5th, just behind Risk.  13 is...lower in my rankings.  Others may disagree, but to play the "what album does it sound like?" game, I would probably compare it to Youthanasia.  It's not quite as good, IMO, but similar sound.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1663 on: July 01, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Good to know :tup

I guess these days I'm not expecting a whole lot from them, so Endgame was a nice surprise.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: July 04, 2013, 05:02:57 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1665 on: July 04, 2013, 05:07:05 AM »
That's... really, really bad. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: July 04, 2013, 05:13:45 AM »
I can't defend that video, I.......just can't.  :facepalm:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1667 on: July 04, 2013, 05:15:21 AM »
Sooo... in other news, Super Collider is pretty weak. Due to the strength of Kingmaker and The Blackest Crow (which I absolutely LOVE), it's better than 13, which only has the title track as a really great track, but it's still pretty weak.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1668 on: July 06, 2013, 12:00:28 AM »
Oh dear god. Has Dave seriously jumped the shark this time? I love Megadeth with everything I am, and would defend their entire catalog to the death, but this is just horrendous.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1669 on: July 06, 2013, 09:06:42 AM »
Dave. What. The. Fuck. Seriously.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1670 on: July 06, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »
Now I want to see it. Let's see if it can possibly be any worse than the new NIN video.  :corn

E: I was expecting something worse. Not good, not bad. But Megadeth videos are pretty meh in general (with the exception of Go to Hell and Insomnia).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:29:28 AM by Ruba »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1671 on: July 06, 2013, 09:41:03 AM »
the video for Public Enemy No 1 is kickass :metal :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1672 on: July 06, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »
Haven't seen it.

E: Yes it is  :lol.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1673 on: July 06, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
Lame video for a mostly lame song. Kinda fitting really.

Online Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1674 on: July 06, 2013, 01:23:38 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhqZAVGTqw

I feel like that video would work better if a Journey song were attached to it instead. Not much better, mind you, but better than a goddamn Megadeth song.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1675 on: July 06, 2013, 02:04:48 PM »
Oh dear god. Has Dave seriously jumped the shark this time? I love Megadeth with everything I am, and would defend their entire catalog to the death, but this is just horrendous.

Crush 'Em. Go!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1676 on: July 06, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »
I love the song but that video is just wrong.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1677 on: July 06, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
DAVE HATES THAT ROCKET.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1678 on: July 06, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »

Crush 'Em. Go!
Band that is continually being gently pushed into arena rock territory writing a song designed to be a sports anthem. In that light, it succeeds decently. My problem with Super Collider is that it's completely out of left field. Endgame was their most successful album in years, so why Dave has decided to completely regress their sound is just baffling.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1679 on: July 06, 2013, 10:07:56 PM »
I seem to be in the minority by switching things around. I thought the song was meh and the video was cute.