Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354438 times)

Offline Rattlehead

Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1610 on: May 18, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »
I really like it  :metal Thanks for posting the link.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1611 on: May 18, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »
The music is terrific.  At first listen, I'm not crazy about the vocal melody, but maybe it will grow on me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1612 on: May 19, 2013, 03:33:36 AM »
Pretty darn good!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1613 on: May 19, 2013, 03:41:24 AM »
I thought the verse melody sounded like Children Of The Grave, but I liked it. Might be a decent album as I'm 2 from 2 so far.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: May 19, 2013, 04:00:07 AM »
Holy shit, the whole verse is a direct rip off of Children of the Grave.  It's cool and pretty old school compared to the material from the last couple of albums but shit, I can't get past that rip off.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1615 on: May 19, 2013, 04:44:27 AM »
I don't think I'd call it a "rip off" of Children of the Grave" but there are definitely similarities.  I doubt it was intentional.  This song is better than that Super Collider track.  Neither compel me to put Megadeth back on my "buy" list though

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1616 on: May 19, 2013, 04:45:52 AM »
I don't think I'd call it a "rip off" of Children of the Grave" but there are definitely similarities.  I doubt it was intentional.

Pretty hard to miss.  It's not just one line, it's every line of the verse, simply identical.  Intentional or not, someone must have picked up on that.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1617 on: May 19, 2013, 05:47:36 AM »
I don't think I'd call it a "rip off" of Children of the Grave" but there are definitely similarities.  I doubt it was intentional.

Pretty hard to miss.  It's not just one line, it's every line of the verse, simply identical.  Intentional or not, someone must have picked up on that.

Well, When on TWNAH is basically Am I Evil with a different intro. Maybe Dave is just playing a homage for Black Sabbath.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1618 on: May 19, 2013, 05:51:26 AM »
I just listened to Children of the Grave and yes, there are similarities, but the Megadeth song is in a different key, it's played at a different tempo, and the notes being sung are different as are the notes in the riff.  It's got some notes in common, especially on the vocals, but saying it's "simply identical" is a pretty big stretch, I think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: May 19, 2013, 05:53:21 AM »
I am only talking about the vocal melody.  Everything else is totally different but the melody for the entire verse is exactly the same.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: May 19, 2013, 06:00:24 AM »
I am only talking about the vocal melody.  Everything else is totally different but the melody for the entire verse is exactly the same.

Oh, then, yeah, I'd actually agree with you there.  It's very very close. 

Offline adace

« Reply #1621 on: May 19, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »
Definitely a better song than the title track, but it could be a tad more interesting.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1622 on: May 19, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought "wow, those verses sound a lot like Children of the Grave."  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline adace

« Reply #1623 on: May 24, 2013, 03:21:02 AM »

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #1624 on: May 24, 2013, 04:27:23 AM »
damn.. the samples sound like like midtempo half arsed TWNAH/13, can't hear a classic megadeth riff, monotone Dave... *g*

Probably the best sample was Cold Sweat.

Burn baby Burn....  :facepalm:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1625 on: May 24, 2013, 04:35:17 AM »
album samples: https://www.amazon.de/gp/recsradio/radio/B00BEXB18M

I won't buy this album. That's just sad :'(
I thought it could only get better after 13, but apparently I was wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: May 24, 2013, 04:48:59 AM »
Hmm......not much excitement can be heard from those samples really.  Looks like it will be another disappointing album.  I really have lost interest since Chris joined and it looks like this will be no exception, but I will still get it and try and give it a go.

I thought Burn at first was a cover of Disco Inferno.

Just finished listening, I didn't realise Cold Sweat was Lizzy's Cold Sweat.  Really, is this a novelty album or something.  (Love Lizzy and Cold Sweat, just didn't expect a cover)

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1627 on: May 25, 2013, 06:00:40 AM »
I somewhat like them. Definately better than 13 (I only bothered to listen it once, I liked it, but pretty much just songs that had been already released). And probably better than United Abominations (I find the album title pretty self-explanatory  :lol :P) or The World Needs a Hero.

Offline adace

« Reply #1628 on: May 27, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
Just listened to the new album. It sounds like B-sides from Thirteen. Not digging it. :tdwn

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1629 on: May 27, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »
Kingmaker is awesome and I don't think it's a rip off of Sabbath like people are saying, but the rest of what I've heard is pretty disappointing.  :sadpanda:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: May 27, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »
Just listened to the new album. It sounds like B-sides from Thirteen. Not digging it. :tdwn

This doesn't sound good.  I didn't even like 13.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1631 on: May 28, 2013, 07:38:52 AM »
1 listen in so far. Honestly, I like it quite a bit. Sure, it sounds a lot like Youthanasia/Cryptic Writings, but it's a logical progression considering I found 13 to be a lot like Countdown (just, you know, without the quality songs). It clearly needs more listens, because the only songs that really stood out for me were Dance in the Rain and the title track. Super Collider (the song) has actually grown on me a lot, and I find myself humming it rather often.

So, overall, nowhere near as good as Endgame or even United Abominations, but it's certainly better than 13.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline philmcson

« Reply #1632 on: May 30, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
Yes, it's better than 13...... not as epic as the classic albums from the 80s but it's a bit dark and.... likeable!  :)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1633 on: June 01, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »

This doesn't sound good.  I didn't even like 13.
Same here :\

I guess I'll check it out tomorrow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: June 02, 2013, 02:55:15 AM »
The fucking shops only had the regular edition in stock.  No deluxe edition.  :tdwn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: June 02, 2013, 04:28:46 AM »
If I ever go to Sydney, that's the first place to go for me.  Always been impressed with their website and the stock that they have.  Unfortunately, in Brisbane, we have a few independant record stores, but they are shit, nothing compared to Utopia.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1637 on: June 04, 2013, 09:30:52 PM »
Just listened to the entire album for the first time today, overall it's decent but there are definitely more than a few clunkers. I don't care for the title track, Burn! or Built for War, but the rest ranges from average to pretty good in my opinion. Kingmaker, Beginning of Sorrow and The Blackest Crow are my favorites on the album. I do like 13 more though  :-\  this one's pretty much on the same level as stuff like Risk and The World Needs A Hero for me as my least favorite Megadeth albums, but still are somewhat likable.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:49:56 PM by Rattlehead »

Online Mladen

« Reply #1638 on: June 05, 2013, 03:50:22 AM »
Man, people are so gonna hate this album...

I liked it quite a bit, though. It's way slower than what made Megadeth famous, but it's also more melodic and has its share of moments that I wouldn't expect from the band. What I liked the most was that the album has 11 songs, so chances of filler are way slimmer.  ;D Favorite songs: title track, Kingmaker, Beginning of sorrow, Built for war.

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised, but I hope Super collider won't have the same faith TH1RT3EN had - I fairly liked that one as well at first, but I got tired of it very quickly. Endgame, on the other hand, didn't impress me from the start, although it turned out to be pretty good after a while. Everything's possible with this one...

Offline Hayden

« Reply #1639 on: June 07, 2013, 09:55:17 AM »
I also quite like the album. It is FAR from perfect, but it still has some great moments. Picking the best tracks off it is tricky, especially when a couple of my favourite tracks have elements/moments that best exemplify the album's biggest problems. But, if I had to pick, I'd say "Kingmaker", "Forget to Remember" and "Dance in the Rain" (and "Cold Sweat", of course, but a Megadeth cover of a heavy Thin Lizzy song is never going to be in doubt).

If anyone's interested in my full opinion, then I'll just link to this rather than repeat myself once more.

Offline Hayden

« Reply #1640 on: June 07, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »
Endgame, on the other hand, didn't impress me from the start, although it turned out to be pretty good after a while. Everything's possible with this one...

'Endgame' grabbed me RIGHT away; I loved that album from the moment I heard it. Was there anything in particular that turned you off it? Or did you just simply find it underwhelming?

Sorry for the double-post. I was meant to edit this into my previous comment.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1641 on: June 08, 2013, 03:34:44 AM »
I just didn't find it that exciting. Some songs started to stand out after a while, though...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1642 on: June 08, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
I listened to Dance in the Rain yesterday.... Absolutely dreadful. I'd rather listen to Crush 'Em.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: June 09, 2013, 06:46:17 AM »
Just listened to this for the first time.  Hmmm.....nothing to write home about, but it's better than what I expected.  There's a few pretty cool tunes here, but it's definitely a sidestep to what the band has been doing for a while.  Not much more I can say, I think it may have potential because CW and Y are a couple of my fav Deth records and this is sort in in that style.  I don't think the albums will do the band any favours popularity wise.  The bonus tracks aren't really worth the few extra bucks either.  More listens is needed.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1644 on: June 09, 2013, 08:45:55 AM »
The important difference is that Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings are great albums, which is something I honestly can't say about Super Collider. It's not even good IMO.