Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354509 times)

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1225 on: September 09, 2011, 08:12:04 PM »
I don't skip songs on albums. Ever. Can't think of a single instance I've done that in the last 6 years.

Must be something I picked up from listening to Scenes so much, same here Ultihetalmead.

First time I've heard of this new album though. New DT on the 13th, Mastodon on the 27th, Iced Earth on October the 18th, and now Megadeth on the 1rst of November? Good freaking time to have my music taste ;)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1226 on: September 09, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »
I never skip songs either.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1227 on: September 10, 2011, 07:21:57 AM »
I can't see any songs to skip in any albums  :o

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1228 on: September 10, 2011, 08:22:48 AM »
Just gave RIP a listen. Easily the best Megadeth album.

Now, I'm listening to Peace Sells.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1229 on: September 10, 2011, 01:03:27 PM »
If I'm listening  to an album and there's a song that I really want to hear I usually skip to it and then go back to whichever song I was on heh.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #1230 on: September 14, 2011, 06:28:38 AM »
Studio version of Public Enemy No. 1.

https://www.megadeth.com/

If the rest of the album is up to this standard then I'll be very happy. There's melody in the vocals again! \o/

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: September 14, 2011, 07:43:58 AM »
Sounds good! :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1232 on: September 14, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »

QFT. And Peace Sells is 2nd best.  :metal

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #1233 on: September 16, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »
and again the front cover is a person with their back turned presumably walking away with an ugly border

:facepalm:

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1234 on: September 16, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »
Fuck you all, Megadeths Almost Honest is an amazing song ;D

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1235 on: September 18, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #1236 on: September 20, 2011, 04:33:03 PM »

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1237 on: September 25, 2011, 03:04:11 PM »
Fuck yeah :metal

Whenever a new Megadeth album comes out, I look forward to learning so much fun music on guitar.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1238 on: September 25, 2011, 03:05:54 PM »
Megadeth owns.

Damn Strait they do. I bow down for Rust in Peace.  :hefdaddy

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: September 26, 2011, 02:00:26 AM »
The first minute or two of Never Dead was really promising and reminded me of creative Mustiane but then it turns into a song that I'm pretty sure existed numerous times along the last couple albums.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JustinSire

• may healing waters . . .
« Reply #1240 on: September 26, 2011, 02:17:41 AM »
but then it turns into a song that I'm pretty sure existed numerous times along the last couple albums.

This is the biggest problem the band, or I guess Mustaine at this point, faces. I feel this way about the majority of their new content. Public Enemy No. 1 at least sounds pretty good, and holy cannoli how it blows the new Metallica stuff out of the water.
"And there is a Catskill eagle in some souls that can alike dive down into the blackest gorges, and soar out of them again and become invisible in the sunny spaces. And even if he for ever flies within the gorge, that gorge is in the mountains; so that even in his lowest swoop the mountain eagle is still higher than other birds upon the plain, even though they soar." - Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

when I'm bored I write a song - https://soundcloud.com/justindanford

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: September 26, 2011, 08:57:55 AM »
Well the new Metalica isn't really a new Metallica album, it's Lou Reed with improvised music.

Although I really hope Metallica bring those sonics to their next proper album.

E 440 doesn't do James' voice any favours. And Garage Inc quality production please  :biggrin:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: September 29, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »
https://youtu.be/F7Zu8Lrdqnw
Check out the first comment "Talk about a flying V" :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: September 29, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »
Apparently - if you get feedback in your in-ears - you can go deaf instantly. Not good.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1244 on: September 29, 2011, 06:26:28 PM »
Is it me, or is the remastered version of RIP terrible?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: September 29, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »
Did they just brickwall it ?  ::)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1246 on: September 29, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
Did they just brickwall it ?  ::)
Nope. Instrumentally, it sounds like a dream. The problem is, Mustaine lost the original vocal tracks to a lot of the songs, so he had to redo them, and they sound awful compared to the original versions (the gang vocals in particular are just atrocious).
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: September 30, 2011, 02:30:51 AM »
Bull shit with cheese, the re-recorded vocals on 5 Magics are much better than the original.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:42:50 AM by metty »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1248 on: September 30, 2011, 05:59:17 AM »

Rust in Peace was my first Megadeth album and believe it or not I bought be because I thought the cover looked cool.  I was totally taking a chance, because I had not heard one note of Megadeth up to that point. 

The album blew my fucking mind  :eek :hefdaddy :eek - from there I worked my way backwards through their catalog, and to this day, while owning everything they've ever released, I don't think they've ever made a record as solid a Rust In Peace

Some really fun tracks in there to cover too.  I was in a band for a while that did nothing but Metallica and Megadeth covers (on bass guitar) and some of those tracks are pretty challenging.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: September 30, 2011, 07:45:06 AM »
Bull shit with cheese, the re-recorded vocals on 5 Magics are much better than the original.
Holy lolno. The "possessed with hellish torment" section actually felt menacing and evil on the original. The remaster sounds like Mustaine just being slightly more nasal.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: September 30, 2011, 08:13:12 AM »
Wow!
Wait.. did we talk about this before?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: September 30, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »
Wow!
Wait.. did we talk about this before?
Maybe...I remember having some huge disagreement with you about Megadeth.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: September 30, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »
Probably about this.
I thought just had my first internet Déjà vu :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1253 on: September 30, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »

Rust in Peace was my first Megadeth album and believe it or not I bought be because I thought the cover looked cool.  I was totally taking a chance, because I had not heard one note of Megadeth up to that point. 

The album blew my fucking mind  :eek :hefdaddy :eek - from there I worked my way backwards through their catalog, and to this day, while owning everything they've ever released, I don't think they've ever made a record as solid a Rust In Peace

Some really fun tracks in there to cover too.  I was in a band for a while that did nothing but Metallica and Megadeth covers (on bass guitar) and some of those tracks are pretty challenging.

Interesting.  The first time I heard that album, it turned me off.  It was hard for me to get past the overall sound and enjoy just how good the songs were at the time.  Kind of reminds me of Mindcrime, which sort of had similar production values in that it deliberately had a very cold, harsh production quality that I found very offputting at first.  The much warmer sound on Countdown is what really pulled me in, hooked me, and made me a fan.  Then Youthanasia came out, and I realized this was a band that had some serious good things to offer, and I went back and really got into RIP at that time.  To me, RIP-Youthanasia (and included the Hidden Treasures EP) was the golden age for their sound.  Other than a few songs here and there, I don't like the earlier albums.  With Cryptic Writings, I felt like they went too far in making a slick, polished, friendly-for-the-masses album, although there are definitely some strong tracks.  Risk was a glorious experiment and comes in for me at #4 behind the "big 3" albums mentioned above.  After that, it's sort of hit-and-miss, where on any given albums, I like some songs and skip others.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: September 30, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »
I got the Rude Awakening album as my first Megadeth experience because I wanted to hear The Mechanix (being a huge Metallica fan at the time, it made me very curious). I thought the song sucked, because that live version is really atrocious, but I ended up listening to a bit of the first disc and it was fucking sick. Dread and the Fugitive Mind, Kill the King, Wake Up Dead, and I was hooked.

I then bought Rust in Peace because everybody talked about it, and I didn't care for it much until one day it just clicked. I never listened to Metallica again.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1255 on: September 30, 2011, 10:46:13 AM »
You can't listen to both bands? That's weird.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1256 on: September 30, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »
I got the Rude Awakening album as my first Megadeth experience because I wanted to hear The Mechanix (being a huge Metallica fan at the time, it made me very curious). I thought the song sucked, because that live version is really atrocious, but I ended up listening to a bit of the first disc and it was fucking sick. Dread and the Fugitive Mind, Kill the King, Wake Up Dead, and I was hooked.

I then bought Rust in Peace because everybody talked about it, and I didn't care for it much until one day it just clicked. I never listened to Metallica again.

I'm trying to remember--when you and Russell Allen first got together and decided to form a band, didn't you guys meet at a Metallica concert?  I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: September 30, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »
I can. I chose not to.

I'm trying to remember--when you and Russell Allen first got together and decided to form a band, didn't you guys meet at a Metallica concert?  I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.
Russell Allen didn't join me until we released that shit album with Rod Taylor or some shit. Learn your history, noob.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1258 on: September 30, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »
I can. I chose not to.

Russell Allen didn't join me until we released that shit album with Rod Taylor or some shit. Learn your history, noob.

Why are you pretending to be Michael Romeo?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: September 30, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
Bosk thinks I look like him, so I guess that means I am. :p