Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 353810 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2870 on: September 21, 2022, 03:21:31 PM »
Count me among those who really don't see the appeal of Machine Head. I saw them open for Metallica on the Death Magnetic Tour. They bored me. Volbeat was actually the best band on the bill that day...

I bought Burn My Eyes. it's okay. I like it. I don't get the love for The Blackening either. I just think Machine Head is destined to be a band that I just can't appreciate.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2871 on: September 21, 2022, 03:21:38 PM »
Don't check Catharsis.  The latest one is excellent and Bloodstone and Diamonds I quite enjoyed too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2872 on: September 21, 2022, 03:30:36 PM »
Listening now on headphones as we speak. Still loving it. Killer riffs and drumming.

Agreed on Machine Head. Not my cuppa at all.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2873 on: September 23, 2022, 12:20:40 AM »
I'm not really a fan of Megadeth - I don't say this as a negative, I mean that I haven't really taken the time to get into them. But I am planning on starting from the first album and moving my way through their discography (I'm currently doing this with Anthrax and Slayer and having a lot of fun) but I couldn't resist listening to the new Megadeth album, because it was also a new release so I could add another 2022 to my long list.

Did go into it with fairly lukewarm expectations mostly because I've heard Mustaine isn't what he once was and in general it's rare for these legacy bands to put out a really stellar album this late into their career. I will say after a few listens that I'm in that 6/10 area rating wise. It's not bad but it's not really standing out too much either. What surprised me the most was listening to it on Spotify and thinking "this last song is the best one by a wide margin" and it turns out it's a Sammy Hagar cover. Great song though.

But yeah I will definitely start somewhere in the future with the first Megadeth album and move my way through their discography (1 album every week or so). I am definitely excited to hear an album like Rust in Peace which feels like 'need to listen to' level. :p

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2874 on: September 23, 2022, 04:19:53 AM »
Zander’s, you should post your thoughts in the thread as you move through their albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2875 on: October 01, 2022, 01:21:36 AM »
So this week I dove into their discography with the debut after only being familiar with the latest one (The Sick, the Dying and the Dead - which I gave 6/10).

Killing is My Business... and Business is Good! (1985)

Before even talking about this album in specific I guess I should mention that I've been widening my Thrash Metal knowledge recently. Was always a huge Metallica fan but my experience with the other 3 was definitely a lot lower, Anthrax for example I hadn't heard at all before a month ago. I notice a pattern across all the debut albums from these bands. There's signs of greatness to come and many good ideas but I would say all four debut albums - to varying degrees suffer a bit from 'imagination is bigger than the budget' and they all sound a bit like bands trying to find their footing. Kill Em All possibly has the highest legacy/reputation out of these, I would say the Anthrax debut (Fistful of Metal) definitely is a lot weaker than the next 4 albums and the Slayer debut (Show No Mercy) while good also doesn't reach the level of the next 4 albums that came after it. How does Megadeth fare in this? I would say one of the better debuts, possibly second for me out of these 4.

If we start with the positives I really like the energy and I know Mustaine formed Megadeth with the intention of being 'faster and more technical' than Metallica and you really get this vibe here. Whether it's the title track or Rattlehead - there's some great riffage on here. The opening track that starts off kinda calm also has an ambitious feel to it. I guess I should also mention Mechanix or Four Horsemen 2.0 or 0.0 (I guess technically the Metallica version is an expanded song upon this idea and even though this came afterwards this is more of the original Mustaine wrote). Good song though it is confusing to hear what is essentially an alternative take on a song I've been familiar with for decades. If we go to the negatives I think the album maybe lacks a cohesive feel to it and the 30 minute runtime combined with featuring a cover (These Boots) and the 'demo' of Four Horsemen (I don't mean this as a negative) makes it almost feel more like an EP with some bonus tracks than a full album. I also feel the production/sound of the album possibly lowers it a bit in my eyes (or ears).

Overall though I would say this is maybe a 7/10 for me after 5 listens. Maybe time and perspective will change that but I'll move onto Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? next week and I can post my thoughts in the weekend. :p

Offline DTA

« Reply #2876 on: October 01, 2022, 06:28:52 AM »
When I listen to the Big 4 debut albums, you're right in that KEA sounds way more accomplished overall than the other ones. I also agree that KIMB feels more like an EP and doesn't quite do it for me like their next few albums do (though I find Peace Sells massively overrated and SFSGSW massively underappreciated). I love the cover of These Boots and there's cool moments in every single track but overall, the production and emphasis on speed makes it one I don't want to listen to all that much. I know they did a remix/remaster at some point and I wonder if it's a huge difference as I have the original 1985 version. The verse riff of the title track is one of my favorite Mustaine riffs and Rattlehead always felt like a Whiplash ripoff. Looking Down the Cross is pretty interesting and Mechanix is a goddamn joke that was improved massively by Metallica.

Excited to hear your thoughts on the rest of their stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2877 on: October 01, 2022, 07:13:36 AM »
When I listen to the Big 4 debut albums, you're right in that KEA sounds way more accomplished overall than the other ones. I also agree that KIMB feels more like an EP and doesn't quite do it for me like their next few albums do (though I find Peace Sells massively overrated and SFSGSW massively underappreciated). I love the cover of These Boots and there's cool moments in every single track but overall, the production and emphasis on speed makes it one I don't want to listen to all that much. I know they did a remix/remaster at some point and I wonder if it's a huge difference as I have the original 1985 version. The verse riff of the title track is one of my favorite Mustaine riffs and Rattlehead always felt like a Whiplash ripoff. Looking Down the Cross is pretty interesting and Mechanix is a goddamn joke that was improved massively by Metallica.

Good stuff DTA. SFSGSW is easily my favorite Megadeth album so I'm with you on that totally.

These Boots was re-recorded for the Dudes Soundtrack, and is far more polished and a lot better. That's the version they were playing on the SFSGSW tour.

Before even talking about this album in specific I guess I should mention that I've been widening my Thrash Metal knowledge recently. Was always a huge Metallica fan but my experience with the other 3 was definitely a lot lower, Anthrax for example I hadn't heard at all before a month ago. I notice a pattern across all the debut albums from these bands. There's signs of greatness to come and many good ideas but I would say all four debut albums - to varying degrees suffer a bit from 'imagination is bigger than the budget' and they all sound a bit like bands trying to find their footing. Kill Em All possibly has the highest legacy/reputation out of these, I would say the Anthrax debut (Fistful of Metal) definitely is a lot weaker than the next 4 albums and the Slayer debut (Show No Mercy) while good also doesn't reach the level of the next 4 albums that came after it. How does Megadeth fare in this? I would say one of the better debuts, possibly second for me out of these 4.

I love Show No Mercy. It's more straight ahead than Hell Awaits and Reign In Blood.

Kill 'Em All is a Top 10 album for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #2878 on: October 01, 2022, 07:26:26 AM »

Good stuff DTA. SFSGSW is easily my favorite Megadeth album so I'm with you on that totally.

These Boots was re-recorded for the Dudes Soundtrack, and is far more polished and a lot better. That's the version they were playing on the SFSGSW tour.

It's probably my favorite too, though it sometimes falls behind Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings depending on my mood. It's fast and punky, but also somehow technical and controlled. Plus, the more melodic elements in songs like In My Darkest Hour and Mary Jane really elevate it. Very similar to Peace Sells when I think about it, but just so much better imo.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2879 on: October 01, 2022, 07:36:38 AM »
Even though Youthanasia has aged extremely well, I did not like it when it came out. I actually gave up on Megadeth at that point. I thought CTE was a huge step down and that just continued with Youthanasia.

I like them both well enough today, but those were my real time feelings.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2880 on: October 01, 2022, 08:59:36 AM »
Glad to see the love for SFSGSW. It has spent a lot of time being the red headed step child of the early Megadeth catalog. I also think it’s the best album they ever did. It’s short, compact, and utterly brilliant from start to finish.

Hated the remix though. Dave said in an interview that he always intended a horn section to be in Lungs and that they were always in there, just buried in the mix. I never noticed them before (and trust me, when that album came out I had far better hearing and played it at extremely high volumes) so when I heard the remix for the first time it just seemed all kinds of wrong. Glad I still have the original mix.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2881 on: October 01, 2022, 09:03:54 AM »
The remix is what's on Spotify, and it's simply a different album than what I'm used to.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2882 on: October 01, 2022, 02:53:35 PM »
Put me down as another SFSGSW fan.  Getting into Megadeth I kind read the general consensus on this album verses other early albums.  When I finally got around to getting it, I thought I was missing something because I thought it was fantastic.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2883 on: October 01, 2022, 05:38:56 PM »
All of the Megadeth re-releases suck ass. Originals all the way  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2884 on: October 07, 2022, 01:37:42 PM »
This week I moved on and have spent time with Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? (1986)

First off I should say I had very little knowledge of the overall fan perspective on the Megadeth discography and what albums are considered the best - aside from Rust in Peace because that album appears on every "best metal albums ever" list and I knew that one was considered the crown jewel by most. With Peace Sells I was familiar with the title and the title track and I had a suspicion it would be good but I guess I wasn't prepared for how good. I guess this is considered by many to be the 2nd best (or top3) in their discography and for me that's totally something I can understand. I would say I've noticed a trend across all the big four bands where in my opinion you have a decent debut album that isn't bad by any means but maybe suffers from production, the band not being 100% there yet, maybe a band member change away from greatness, but then you get a really kickass second album. Peace Sells is for me comparable to the level of step up that Metallica did from Kill Em All to Ride the Lightning, that Anthrax did from Fistful of Metal to Spreading the Disease, or Slayer did from Show No Mercy to Hell Awaits.

I feel like pretty much all the criticisms I had of their debut (which I still liked) are addressed right away. Production is better, right off the bat this sounds great. The guitars in Wake Up the Dead, Mustaine's voice sounds less high pitch and has that more 'evil' (i don't even know what word to use) tone. Overall the album just sounds pretty tight and with a lot of 80's albums there's always that "It sounds like a product of its time" but for me this holds up a lot better than other albums. In terms of other standout tracks I would say Conjuring is great, the title track is very memorable and maybe the greatest strength of the album is that it just keeps going. It's only 36 minutes left and I don't feel any moments that drag or stand out negatively. Overall I really enjoyed this one!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2885 on: October 07, 2022, 01:59:12 PM »
My Last Words is a great song, and it's my #2 favorite Megadeth track.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2886 on: October 07, 2022, 02:08:47 PM »
I never quite rated it as high as the masses, but it's no doubt a fantastic record.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2887 on: October 07, 2022, 02:10:37 PM »
I never quite rated it as high as the masses, but it's no doubt a fantastic record.

Without making a list, I'd probably put Peace Sells somewhere around the 6 or 7 spot.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2888 on: October 07, 2022, 02:22:03 PM »

Without making a list, I'd probably put Peace Sells somewhere around the 6 or 7 spot.

Yeah, probably around the same for me too mate.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2889 on: October 07, 2022, 02:56:07 PM »
Peace Sells is probably my #2 Megadeth record. It's probably not a coincidence that is also the second record of theirs I heard.

My journey was basically, obsession with Metallica from mid 2002 - early 2004. My brother gave me a copy of Rust in Peace. Loved it, then got Peace Sells followed by So Far, So Good. For the next few years I only listened to those three albums.

Around 2006 a friend lent me a copy of Countdown. I thought Symphony of Destruction was OK, but it didn't do a lot for me. 2007 was the year I first bought a new 'Deth album upon release (United Abominations) and I LOVED IT! I think it is severely underrated, and possibly my #3 ranked album.

After that I kinda went back and filled in some of the gaps, as well as keeping up with newer releases. The first three albums I owned will always hold a special place in my heart, even though I really love some of the 00s records.

Peace Sells is actually the only one I have on vinyl so far, but it is damn near perfect. It will never reach the heights that Rust does, for me, but I still crank it often enough.

Zantera, in regards to your comparison to Megadeth's contemporaries, and their second albums, I'd say Peace Sells struggles to live up to Ride the Lightning (which on some days I consider my all time favourite metal album). I think it is leagues ahead of Hell Awaits and Spreading the Disease though.

Great post and I'm interested to hear your opinions on album number 3, I've always really liked it.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2890 on: October 07, 2022, 02:57:13 PM »
Peace Sells is my #2 Megadeth album  :metal

Offline billboy73

« Reply #2891 on: October 07, 2022, 03:10:48 PM »
I love Peace Sells and it edges out Rust In Peace as my #1 Megadeth album.  Love the darker edge to this album.  I just saw them a few months back, and they played the Conjuring, one of my favorite Megadeth songs.  My Last Words is such a great album closer.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2892 on: October 07, 2022, 03:14:04 PM »
Zantera, in regards to your comparison to Megadeth's contemporaries, and their second albums, I'd say Peace Sells struggles to live up to Ride the Lightning (which on some days I consider my all time favourite metal album). I think it is leagues ahead of Hell Awaits and Spreading the Disease though.

I've only spent a week with this album so it's fairly early for me to say considering I have no idea if it will age good or bad but my gut feeling is that I'm with you on Ride being the nr1, Hell Awaits being nr4 and for me Peace Sells and Spreading the Disease are close. I could go either way on which one is 2 or 3. Slayer for me is my least favorite out of the four bands not because I dislike them or anything but they feel maybe a bit more limited than the others in terms of variety. They got their style which they execute very well and I won't argue against the quality of their early albums (Reign-Heaven-Seasons especially). But Anthrax has been a very pleasant surprise for me - possibly they benefit from being a complete unknown for me and hearing them for the first time this year after already being vaguely familiar with the other 3 for over a decade might give them a slight bump. Megadeth definitely show promise.

I'll try to mostly focus on Megadeth in this thread as it is their thread but I might throw in comparisons/references to the others mostly because I'm also working through the other discographies at the same time so it's just fun to observe.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2893 on: October 07, 2022, 03:52:41 PM »
Just make sure you listen to the original SFSGSW and NOT the Remaster!

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2894 on: October 07, 2022, 06:02:31 PM »
Agreed! That raw sound and Mustaine's vocals are so much better. Anarchy in the UK is the only weak spot on the album

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2895 on: October 07, 2022, 06:18:55 PM »

Online The Realm

« Reply #2896 on: October 07, 2022, 06:26:09 PM »
Peace Sell is number 2 Megadeth album for me too.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2897 on: October 08, 2022, 01:02:32 AM »
Just make sure you listen to the original SFSGSW and NOT the Remaster!

Are both on Spotify or does it only have the remaster? Might do both if the remaster is the only one on Spotify as that's what I have available at work, but when I'm at home can probably do the original one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2898 on: October 08, 2022, 03:44:13 AM »
I'm not familiar with the different sound.  I own the 2004 remaster.  Is that good?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2899 on: October 08, 2022, 08:56:49 AM »
I'm not familiar with the different sound.  I own the 2004 remaster.  Is that good?

That sounds like it might be the bad one. I can’t remember when it happened. But the releases are not only remastered, they’re also remixed. Worst idea ever.

Right on the spine of the CD case it will say “remixed and remastered“ if you have that one, it’s garbage.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2900 on: October 08, 2022, 09:00:32 AM »
Yeah the Spotify version is the remixed one. Completely changed the feel.

Online Bentower

« Reply #2901 on: October 08, 2022, 09:46:10 AM »
I only listened once to the 2004 remaster. That was quite enough. IIRC there were even re-recorded vocals on there.
Luckily I never sold my original CD and that version is also on YouTube.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: October 08, 2022, 02:07:39 PM »
Oh wow.  All Megadeth albums I have right up to Risk are these versions!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2903 on: October 08, 2022, 02:35:35 PM »
Oh wow.  All Megadeth albums I have right up to Risk are these versions!

You've been living a lie!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2904 on: October 08, 2022, 02:37:27 PM »
Peace Sells is absolutely fantastic. My second favorite Megadeth record, just behind Rust in Peace.