Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 353965 times)

Offline Dedalus

Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2450 on: May 24, 2021, 04:29:41 PM »
I'd love to see Newsted step in.

The guy got tired of having James and Lars as bosses, is he going to become Mustaine's underling? Only if he wants to complicate his life for nothing.  :)

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2451 on: May 24, 2021, 04:30:47 PM »
Not to mention he has stated that he can't even play Metallica songs anymore

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2452 on: May 24, 2021, 04:31:19 PM »
I can't see JN stepping in anyway as he has his little bluesy band now. Anyway it wasn't james and lars that were the problem - it was not being allowed to do side projects.

Megadeth have had like 50 members over the years and a grand total of 1 person has ever quit Metallica.

Offline TM172003

« Reply #2453 on: May 24, 2021, 04:32:32 PM »
Not going to happen. He said recently that he can’t even keep up with Metallica’s stuff anymore, what chance does he have playing Megadeth tunes?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2454 on: May 24, 2021, 04:34:23 PM »
Bass is a really f-ing hard instrument and at nearly 60 years old - I think he may even be 60?? Yeah not easy.

Edit : 58. Same as James and Lars. I think Rob is a year or two younger.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2455 on: May 24, 2021, 04:34:46 PM »

That would be cool. Though he seems pretty happy doing rock n roll covers. Can’t say I get it though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2456 on: May 24, 2021, 04:37:28 PM »
I can't see JN stepping in anyway as he has his little bluesy band now. Anyway it wasn't james and lars that were the problem - it was not being allowed to do side projects.

Megadeth have had like 50 members over the years and a grand total of 1 person has ever quit Metallica.

Yeah, but there weren't that many side projects in twenty years. The side projects don't seem as relevant after leaving the band.

In fact, there hasn't been so much MUSIC in twenty years.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2457 on: May 24, 2021, 04:55:07 PM »
"Already stained relationship" looks like Mustaine just used this as an excuse to get rid of him
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2458 on: May 24, 2021, 04:55:19 PM »
Not going to happen. He said recently that he can’t even keep up with Metallica’s stuff anymore, what chance does he have playing Megadeth tunes?

Yeah, said he had shoulder issues.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2459 on: May 24, 2021, 05:34:37 PM »
How much more badass would Mustaine be if he just said "I'm not going to fire a band member because he jerks off. End of story, now let's move on". But instead, he chose to cave for the politically correct...oh well.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2460 on: May 24, 2021, 05:43:26 PM »
Know who could be an excellent bass player for Megadeth? Michael Lepond.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2461 on: May 24, 2021, 05:47:10 PM »
He's been in as many bands as Megadeth has had members.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2462 on: May 24, 2021, 05:49:30 PM »
Yes, but none of them is big as Megadeth (as far as I know).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2463 on: May 24, 2021, 05:49:49 PM »
How much more badass would Mustaine be if he just said "I'm not going to fire a band member because he jerks off. End of story, now let's move on". But instead, he chose to cave for the politically correct...oh well.

Dave and Junior have always butted heads anyway, and if the grooming accusations are true, you don’t want that bad publicity following you. Dave did the right thing cutting ties before it gets ugly.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2464 on: May 24, 2021, 06:14:12 PM »
They're catching up to Iced Earth with line up changes.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2465 on: May 24, 2021, 06:33:25 PM »
As people have already stated, this was Dave getting an out to do something he's obviously wanted to do for a while.  He's a huge fucking hypocrite.  Dave can be a raging alcoholic, drug-abusing asshole for decades and it's fine.  DE gets caught in a compromising position where the only thing that was hurt was his squeaky-clean image and he's done.  But, that's what happens when you're no longer a real "member" of a band.  You can get cut for any reason at all. 

Mustaine must've creamed himself when this came to light.  "Finally!  I can finally be the only long-time Megadeth member.  I can get rid of that goody-two-shoes Ellefson once and for all."  The problem is Dave is the only person on this planet who I've ever heard have one bad thing to say about Junior.  This could've easily blown over by the time their new album comes out... if he'd let it.

I know that Mustaine essentially IS Megadeth.  But, at this point, why even bother calling it Megadeth?!?  It's him and a bunch of guys.  I don't even know the drummer's name.  And, the guitarist is Kiko something-or-other.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: May 24, 2021, 06:36:45 PM »
As people have already stated, this was Dave getting an out to do something he's obviously wanted to do for a while.  He's a huge fucking hypocrite.  Dave can be a raging alcoholic, drug-abusing asshole for decades and it's fine.  DE gets caught in a compromising position where the only thing that was hurt was his squeaky-clean image and he's done.  But, that's what happens when you're no longer a real "member" of a band.  You can get cut for any reason at all. 

Mustaine must've creamed himself when this came to light.  "Finally!  I can finally be the only long-time Megadeth member.  I can get rid of that goody-two-shoes Ellefson once and for all."  The problem is Dave is the only person on this planet who I've ever heard have one bad thing to say about Junior.  This could've easily blown over by the time their new album comes out... if he'd let it.

When you are the boss, you have these privileges.  I don't see the problem.  Dave may be a hypocrite but as I said, he's the boss so more power to him.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2467 on: May 24, 2021, 06:40:15 PM »
When you are the boss, you have these privileges.  I don't see the problem.  Dave may be a hypocrite but as I said, he's the boss so more power to him.
I totally agree with what you've said.  But, to me, Mustaine almost looks worse than Ellefson.  There'll be more talk of him firing Ellefson than of what David actually did.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: May 24, 2021, 06:46:10 PM »
I totally agree with what you've said.  But, to me, Mustaine almost looks worse than Ellefson.  There'll be more talk of him firing Ellefson than of what David actually did.

Maybe, but I doubt Mustaine really cares.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2469 on: May 24, 2021, 06:58:11 PM »
You're talking about the bass player in a thrash band that's run by an ego-maniacal asshole who was a raging alcoholic and drug addict for between 10 and 20 years.  And, I'm a Megadeth fan.  What kind of image are you talking about?!?  People who have done way worse have been able to maintain careers (Vince Neil, anyone?!?). In the grand scheme of things, him jerking it is not that big a deal.  I, myself, never sought out any videos or pictures of what he did.  So, anytime I see them from now on, this certainly won't be entering my thoughts at all.  The dude wasn't thinking with the head on his shoulders.  He did no harm to himself or anyone else.  He just became a little more human.  In a perfect world, this non-issue would be gone by the next time the bass intro to "Peace Sells" was done.

What does being in a “thrash” band have to do with anything?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2470 on: May 24, 2021, 07:14:59 PM »

Truthfully, I don't know why I should care, either.  In the grand scheme of things, it has no impact on my life.  I'm sure Ellefson will land just fine.  I guess I just feel bad for the guy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: May 24, 2021, 07:48:15 PM »

Truthfully, I don't know why I should care, either.  In the grand scheme of things, it has no impact on my life.  I'm sure Ellefson will land just fine.  I guess I just feel bad for the guy.

All valid, but he should have thought about that before filming himself jacking off.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 01:07:32 AM by wolfking »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2472 on: May 24, 2021, 08:34:27 PM »

I was actually thinking the same thing for some reason.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2473 on: May 24, 2021, 09:37:49 PM »
Geddy Lee is available.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2474 on: May 24, 2021, 10:57:59 PM »
Geddy Lee is available.

Paul McCartney is still alive.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: May 24, 2021, 11:39:07 PM »

Unlikely for various reasons, one of which is he recently said he's no longer capable of playing metal physically (taking his admission at face value, obviously).

As for Ellefson... long live rock and roll, eh?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #2476 on: May 25, 2021, 01:19:10 AM »
I'm looking forward to the updated "Making Music Your Business". The afterword should be a giggle.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2477 on: May 25, 2021, 06:15:58 AM »
Maybe I'm overthinking - and I know the answer here; it all depends on the contract under which Ellefson was a salaried member - but it's a shade hard to believe that if Mustaine really wanted to do this, that he "needed" this to do it.  There's no union here like in sports (where there are limitations as to when you can break a contract with a player, and where "morals" clauses are common).   And as Kotowboy has pointed out, this isn't the first member of Megadeth to be sent packing, and not all of them had incidents like this.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2478 on: May 25, 2021, 06:36:16 AM »
But Ellefson is the second most important band member of Megadeth, outside Dave he's the only one who has a semblance of being an actual "band member" rather than "hired gun who sooner or later will get the boot". If he fires the random drummer, "haha, classic Dave" and people move on, but to get rid of Ellefson he needs something more.

Or maybe this is a golden opportunity, he fires him just because he can.... Mustaine is an asshole, a tyrant, all of that. He fires him "with cause".... well, he's justified.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: May 25, 2021, 07:39:11 AM »
Yeah, I agree with Mirror and others who have stated this was just the excuse to get rid of him.  Dave basically admits it in the statement saying "already strained relationship" but IMO the things that made their relationship strained weren't the things Dave could easily defend publicly for firing the only other real band member.  He needed something he could hide behind for cover and it worked.  So many people are blaming "cancel culture" and I really don't see the media or the typical "cancel culture" people calling for Ellefson's head, just Mustaine.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2480 on: May 25, 2021, 08:30:16 AM »
Maybe I'm overthinking - and I know the answer here; it all depends on the contract under which Ellefson was a salaried member - but it's a shade hard to believe that if Mustaine really wanted to do this, that he "needed" this to do it.  There's no union here like in sports (where there are limitations as to when you can break a contract with a player, and where "morals" clauses are common).   And as Kotowboy has pointed out, this isn't the first member of Megadeth to be sent packing, and not all of them had incidents like this.

I don't think he needed this either.

But everything the comes with this kind of allegation, is detrimental to the band and it's overall commitment to the upcoming tours. And Mustaine, rather than keeping Ellefson, decided it best to kick him out and find a replacement before touring begins and there's time for the new bassist to learn the songs.

This has nothing to do with the allegations and more to do with the band and it's commitment to a postponed tour. And Dave doesn't want anything jeopardizing that commitment, especially for the fans that want to see Megadeth, Lamb of God, and In Flames.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: May 25, 2021, 08:35:19 AM »
They've recorded a new album, right? Do you think they'll "pull an Ozzy" and re-record Ellefson's parts before release?

(Feels weird writing 'Ellefson' and 'release' in the same sentence here)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2482 on: May 25, 2021, 08:50:41 AM »
I've been following this story and I think it was the right move by Mustaine.  I mean, there are so many variables involved in this situation -- was the girl an underage fan when the videos began as was alleged, and did Ellefson use his status as a rockstar to take advantage of her?  Also, there's no way of knowing if there are MORE videos (or girls) out there that would surface as the band releases their new album and goes on tour.  You can't risk that.  It would overshadow everything the band is doing and it would come up in every interview, etc.  Better to cut ties now, in my opinion. 

I also wonder if Megadeth will re-record his bass parts for the new album and if Portnoy will still work with him in Metal Allegiance. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:58:05 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: May 25, 2021, 09:02:18 AM »
I've been following this story and I think it was the right move by Mustaine.  I mean, there are so many variables involved in this situation -- was the girl an underage fan when the videos began as was alleged, and did Ellefson use his status as a rockstar to take advantage of her?  Also, there's no way of knowing if there are MORE videos (or girls) out there that would surface as the band releases their new album and goes on tour.  You can't risk that.  It would overshadow everything the band is doing and it would come up in every interview, etc.  Better to cut ties now, in my opinion. 

I also wonder if Megadeth will re-record his bass parts for the new album and if Portnoy will still work with him in Metal Allegiance.

Didn't the girl come out saying she was not a minor and everything was consensual, no grooming and she initiated? Of course there could be more to the story that played a role, but if the female says all this, it's really hard for me to assume anything worse than sexting while married. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2484 on: May 25, 2021, 09:07:05 AM »

Didn't the girl come out saying she was not a minor and everything was consensual, no grooming and she initiated? Of course there could be more to the story that played a role, but if the female says all this, it's really hard for me to assume anything worse than sexting while married.

The girl did say that, but there are rumors or talk that the messages started before she was of legal age.