Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 353666 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2345 on: January 11, 2019, 03:01:14 PM »
There goes my hopes of a new album

https://www.megadeth.com/news/457897/megadeth-warheads-on-foreheads

Because we really need another greatest hits album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2346 on: January 11, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »
Mustaine is clearly trying his hardest to earn his retirement bread. His voice is gone and he looks old as dirt all of a sudden. New music is where he should be focused and working on his voice. Greatest hits, we already have them! Please stop regurgitating Dave

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2347 on: January 11, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
What's the f'n point, really?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2348 on: January 11, 2019, 04:33:40 PM »
What's the f'n point, really?

Makes a classy band look like they are taking the piss.  Don't turn into fucking Gene Simmons Dave.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2349 on: January 11, 2019, 04:41:40 PM »
What's with the anger?

Megadeth has been plenty prolific over the years and I was led to believe they are still writing a new album. GH or not they don't take 8 damn years to release mediocrity like Metallica does (inb4 "yeah, they only take a couple instead"). Just don't buy the GH and wait for a new album...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Mladen

« Reply #2350 on: January 12, 2019, 03:47:25 AM »
I sure wouldn't miss a new Megadeth album. Of the five albums that have come out in the recent ten year span, not a single one was great. We might as well focus on other bands.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: January 12, 2019, 04:19:00 AM »
Dystopia was the best thing since RIP imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Art

« Reply #2352 on: January 12, 2019, 04:51:09 AM »
Dystopia was pretty good indeed, i really want another album with the current band.

They are not the first or will be the last band to put out a lot of GH compilations. Just don't buy it.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2353 on: January 12, 2019, 05:37:33 AM »
Yeah I really liked Dystopia as well, plus I thought Endgame was really good too.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2354 on: January 12, 2019, 02:12:15 PM »
I sure wouldn't miss a new Megadeth album. Of the five albums that have come out in the recent ten year span, not a single one was great. We might as well focus on other bands.

Lol wut?

Online Mladen

« Reply #2355 on: January 12, 2019, 04:47:22 PM »
Yeah, the last album I was truly impressed with was The System has failed.

As much as people like Endgame and Dystopia, to me they sound like Dave's attempt to prove his heaviness despite the fact that he would much rather record albums like Super collider. Which might be the best one of the bunch, it sounds more honest and heartfelt than the ones that are kind of dialed in.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2356 on: January 12, 2019, 04:49:34 PM »
That is interesting, because I thought the band sounded so heavy in a truly natural way on Dystopia. It really sounded like it was angry, even though I disagree big time with Dave's political views it sounds so honest on that record.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2357 on: January 12, 2019, 10:12:41 PM »
Mustaine is clearly trying his hardest to earn his retirement bread. His voice is gone and he looks old as dirt all of a sudden. New music is where he should be focused and working on his voice. Greatest hits, we already have them! Please stop regurgitating Dave

I think a new studio album is coming out this year. Megadeth has been really good about pumping out releases. This is the longest they have had between albums in quite a while.

They have been talking about their new music in interviews they say it will be a 2019 release
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:26:21 PM by Hanz Gruber »

Online DTA

« Reply #2358 on: January 13, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »
I just hope the drums aren't neutered like they did with Drover. He's probably a great drummer, but he felt so restrained in Megadeth whereas Chris Adler's drumming on Dystopia was a lot more interesting. Adler is a big name so I'm guessing Dave didn't do much micro-managing, but Dirk might go along with the status-quo and not challenge Mustaine for fear of losing his job. I want to hear ridiculous drumming as that's always been Megadeth's weakest point IMO.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2359 on: January 14, 2019, 04:50:21 PM »
Nick Menza was great. This new guy and his headphones makes him look like an imbecile when they play live.

Online DTA

« Reply #2360 on: January 15, 2019, 06:34:00 AM »
Nick Menza was great. This new guy and his headphones makes him look like an imbecile when they play live.

Menza was cool and he was a very early influence in my drumming, but his playing always felt restrained to me which is not typically something I like in metal. Megadeth never had the same sort of powerhouse drumming that the other Big 4 bands had and I feel like the drums could've been more adventurous on every single album. I think the drumming on Dystopia and The System Has Failed is their strongest and it's most likely because they used drummers who were somewhat of an elevated status that Mustaine probably didn't feel the need to "direct" so to speak.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2361 on: May 09, 2019, 10:15:44 PM »
BUMP...

Can I just say that Loved to Deth is the **LAST** song I would have ever expected from an iPhone commercial?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2362 on: May 09, 2019, 10:33:33 PM »
BUMP...

Can I just say that Loved to Deth is the **LAST** song I would have ever expected from an iPhone commercial?

Just walked into a bar and saw that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2363 on: May 28, 2019, 10:14:41 PM »
An interesting revelation from Junior on his status with the band:

https://metalinjection.net/its-just-business/david-ellefson-reveals-hes-a-salaried-employee-in-megadeth-he-had-to-give-up-some-ownership-for-the-sake-of-his-friendship-with-mustaine

I've never been a Mustaine hater or complainer but this seems a bit of a low blow to Junior. Kudos to him on being the bigger man here.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2364 on: May 29, 2019, 05:40:44 AM »
There's almost no one I respect more in metal than David Ellefson. As long as he is happy with the arrangement, then cool. It sounds like it got pretty ugly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2365 on: May 29, 2019, 06:14:05 AM »
To be fair, Ellefson did sue Mustaine for $18.5 million about 15 years ago.  It was dismissed, but I recall that Dave was pretty hurt by the lawsuit, so it's not surprising to learn that Ellefson had to relinquish his ownership of the band. 

Ultimately, as long as everyone is happy and Megadeth has both of them kicking ass, it doesn't matter. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2366 on: May 29, 2019, 03:12:42 PM »
To be fair, Ellefson did sue Mustaine for $18.5 million about 15 years ago.  It was dismissed, but I recall that Dave was pretty hurt by the lawsuit, so it's not surprising to learn that Ellefson had to relinquish his ownership of the band. 
OTOH, Ellefson was probably insulted when Mustaine told him he was reforming the band, and that he expected Ellefson to now be a salaried employee, as opposed to the full business partner that he previously was. I don't blame him at all for suing Mustaine.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2367 on: June 17, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »
Dave just announced he's battling throat cancer. All Megadeth shows cancelled for this year, although the Megacruise will go on with various Mega members.

Cancer may not have Dave Mustaine. NO NO NO NO NO. I know he's done more drugs than the rest of the world combined. But no no no no no.

Here's hoping Dave kicks cancer's ass.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: June 17, 2019, 10:46:51 AM »
No no no. This is not a good way to start the week. I hope he beats it.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2369 on: June 17, 2019, 11:51:40 AM »
Just saw this on Twitter. Really sucks. I have seen Megadeth many times and they have never disappointed. Was always in awe of Dave's playing ability.

Hoping he beats this. Throat cancer for a singer seems really bad.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: June 17, 2019, 01:07:27 PM »

Here's hoping Dave kicks cancer's ass.

:metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: June 17, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »
I finally finished Bruce Dickinson's last chapter in his book the other day which was about his battle with throat cancer.  Scary stuff, especially for a singer, so sad.  Sucks, but I read he has a 90% chance of beating it and I think based on what I just read about Bruce, if you got the right mindset to attack it the throat cancers are often very treatable but its a long and painful process.  I wish him lots of luck with recovery. 

Offline frogprog

« Reply #2372 on: June 17, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
I wish Dave much luck in his coming battle. I fought throat cancer in 2017 and it is no picnic. The treatments are a bitch and I will never be what I was before but I try to smile every day and be thankful because it sure beats the alternative!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: June 17, 2019, 03:53:44 PM »
What shit news.  Thoughts are with him and hope he beats this into the ground.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2374 on: June 17, 2019, 03:54:19 PM »
I wish Dave much luck in his coming battle. I fought throat cancer in 2017 and it is no picnic. The treatments are a bitch and I will never be what I was before but I try to smile every day and be thankful because it sure beats the alternative!

Much respect dude.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2375 on: June 18, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »
The best thing I can do as a fan is stay positive and send good vibes Dave's way through listening to his music.  We like to think that our favorite musicians are untouchable, but they're human just like us.  I'm happy to know that they're going to continue working on the new record as much as possible.  Dystopia kicks so much ass and I'm excited to see what Dirk and Kiko bring to some new songs.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2376 on: June 18, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »
I'm wondering if this had any part of his rapid voice change and how long he's had it? Hopefully it's not too late

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2377 on: June 25, 2019, 08:12:36 AM »
I've been listening to a ton of Megadeth since Dave made his announcement, and trying to reach for albums that I always gloss over when I tend to just grab Peace Sells or RIP.  So I've pretty much listened to everything from 1994 onward and really focused on the albums after Dave reformed the band as well.

I had completely forgotten how much I love Cryptic Writings.  The album has some great singles - Trust, Almost Honest, and some burners like The Disintegrators as well.  But that last half of the record is just slamming:   Sin, A Secret Place (what an incredible song), Have Cool/Will Travel, and then the non-stop onslaught of She Wolf, Vortex and FFF to close it out. 

I actually don't find myself skipping one single song on the album, though I'll Get Even is probably the worst song on the record.  Dave's vocals really soar on some of these songs too.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: June 25, 2019, 08:18:40 AM »
A Secret Place :metal

Cryptic Writings is one of their very best albums, I listen to it quite a lot when I'm in a Megadeth mood.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2379 on: June 25, 2019, 12:02:30 PM »
I also love that one. It would probably end up right behind CTE and KIMBABIG if I ranked the albums. It's so catchy, consistent and well balanced.