Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 353209 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2275 on: April 06, 2018, 11:49:21 AM »
"unheard parts." The last time these things were remastered, I believe Dave altered/added things. I understand an artist's desire to tinker. But once released, anything related to the performance itself shouldn't be altered IMO. You can change cover art, change the track listing, remix, remaster, etc. But the music itself shouldn't be altered.

The other stuff sounds cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2276 on: April 06, 2018, 12:39:37 PM »
"unheard parts." The last time these things were remastered, I believe Dave altered/added things. I understand an artist's desire to tinker. But once released, anything related to the performance itself shouldn't be altered IMO. You can change cover art, change the track listing, remix, remaster, etc. But the music itself shouldn't be altered.

I have and love the 2002 remaster - from what I recall, Dave only changed These Boots to add bleeps in the lyrics that Lee Hazelwood had problems with.  I think they're trying to say that the new remaster brings "unheard" elements to the forefront, as opposed to altering the music.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2277 on: April 06, 2018, 01:49:42 PM »

I have and love the 2002 remaster - from what I recall, Dave only changed These Boots to add bleeps in the lyrics that Lee Hazelwood had problems with.  I think they're trying to say that the new remaster brings "unheard" elements to the forefront, as opposed to altering the music.
That brings up an interesting question: how is it that Lee Hazelwood had the power to require the removal and/or bleeping of certain lyrics on Megadeth's cover of These Boots? Is there some law that allows for the original songwriter to prevent a cover from being sold to the public even though they are financially compensated?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2278 on: April 06, 2018, 01:52:42 PM »
So Dave is going to resing the actual lyrics for These Boots? I'm not really a fan of pre-Rust Megadeth (RIP isn't really my cup of tea either aside from a few songs) but I do still have all the original versions on CD, including KIMB with the unaltered These Boots. Took me forever to find it, and really it was by accident just looking through the Megadeth section at my local record store. I might check this new remaster out.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2279 on: April 06, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »
Dave taking lessons from George Lucas now? 

Killing would be awesome if they remastered it and used the original vocal tracks but him redoing the vocals is what tanked the remake last time. He's lost his edge so I'm sure he'll do it again. If he were to leave the original vocal tracks only I'd buy this in a second.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2280 on: April 07, 2018, 10:25:10 PM »
Dave taking lessons from George Lucas now? 

Killing would be awesome if they remastered it and used the original vocal tracks but him redoing the vocals is what tanked the remake last time. He's lost his edge so I'm sure he'll do it again. If he were to leave the original vocal tracks only I'd buy this in a second.

I think he's only re-singing These Boots with lyrics that will appease Hazelwood.  That's nothing compared to the RIP remaster where he ended up using alternate takes or re-singing a handful of songs. 

As for why the song was removed, I don't know exactly, but I've always guessed that it was eaisier than fighting Hazelwood about it.  Dave's always said that he was paid royalties for years before he ever spoke up about his dislike of the Megadeth version.  I had the original and sold it off after I converted to collection to digital, since I always listen to the 2002 remaster.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2281 on: April 08, 2018, 08:09:22 AM »
Even though the guitars sound like twangers in the original release, I still prefer the raw original. If you crank the low end up it has an amazing feel that is nostalgic and exudes aggressive power. I still have the original vinyl release which included the lyrics (many that were misprinted) but at least you could figure out what the hell he was singing about. So when I listen to these albums I appreciate the nostalgia and can overcome the weak mastering with my sound system. When he overlays new vocal tracks and takes away some of the original vocals it takes that feeling away completely for me. I wish he would just leave the original vocal tracks unfucked with. 

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #2282 on: April 08, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »
That’s good news. Some of the riffs on the album are barely audible which prevents me from truly enjoying it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2283 on: May 31, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »
Anyone up to review this one?:

MEGADETH - KILLING IS MY BUSINESS…AND BUSINESS IS GOOD – THE FINAL KILL

The ultimate version of MEGADETH's classic debut album!

Featuring:
- A remix of the entire record by Mark Lewis (Trivium, Devil Driver, Death Angel, Whitechapel) that restores previously unheard parts and performances and restores the album to Dave Mustaine's intended vision.
- The entire project has been remastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, NYC.
- The track, "These Boots..." re-added to the record with vocals re-cut by Dave Mustaine. After the initial pressing, the song had to be removed from the record due to its author, Lee Hazelwood's estate, not approving the original vocal and lyric changes. 
- New artwork that is in line with Mustaine's original vision of the cover. A fully executed sculpture as opposed to the cheap "skull" photograph that Relativity/Combat created when the original artwork was lost.
- 7 live audio tracks from VHS tapes found in Dave Mustaine’s own attic covering all album tracks except “These Boots…”
- Includes a remastered version of Megadeth's "Skull Beneath The Skin" 1984 demo!

1. Last Rites / Loved to Deth (04:44)
2. Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good! (03:08)
3. The Skull Beneath the Skin (03:48)
4. Rattlehead (03:43)
5. Chosen Ones (02:53)
6. Looking Down the Cross (05:03)
7. Mechanix (04:25)
8. These Boots (03:42)
- Live Tracks -
9. Last Rites / Loved to Deth (live) (1987 London, UK) (04:48)
10. Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good! (live) (1986
Denver, CO) (04:08)
11. The Skull Beneath the Skin (live) (1990 London, UK) (03:36)
12. Rattlehead (live) (1987 Bochum, Germany) (04:05)
13. Chosen Ones (live) (1986 Denver, CO) (03:49)
14. Looking Down the Cross (live) (1986 Denver, CO) (04:40)
15. Mechanix (live) (1986 Denver, CO) (03:47)
- Demo 1984 -
16. Last Rites / Loved to Deth (demo) (04:15)
17. The Skull Beneath the Skin (demo) (03:12)
18. Mechanix (demo) (Remastered) (04:00)

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2284 on: June 03, 2018, 06:09:34 AM »
Interested in it but haven't gotten a listen myself. I haven't seen any reviews so far

Offline DTA

« Reply #2285 on: June 03, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »
I’m interested in hearing this out of curiousity but KIMB just isn’t a good album imo and no amount of remixes is going to change my opinion about the songs.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2286 on: September 25, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2287 on: September 25, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »
Cool logo. These cruises have been very successful, but this is pretty late in the game to be starting a new one, I think. A lot of competition on the high seas for metal...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2288 on: September 25, 2018, 04:56:59 PM »
capitalizing on david hasslehoff's gig

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2289 on: October 01, 2018, 11:16:37 AM »
Finally picked up the recent re-issue/remaster/remix(?) of Killing is My Business - The Final Kill. Damn it sounds great. I forgot just how insanely fast and pure thrash they were then. Amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2290 on: October 01, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »
One of Metal's most forgotten albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2291 on: October 01, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »
For good reason
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2292 on: October 01, 2018, 02:02:31 PM »
^ Hush up.

Early Megadeth is tops. Doesn't get much better than that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: October 01, 2018, 02:50:41 PM »
For good reason

You are forbidden to speak/post on Megadeth topics, given your big fandom of RISK, which is, as any Megadeth fan knows, the band's most horrendous record.  :rollin
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:23:45 PM by Samsara »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2294 on: October 01, 2018, 02:55:13 PM »
For good reason

You are forbidden to speak/post on Megadeth topics, given your big fandom of RISK, which is, as any Megadeth fan knows, is the band's most horrendous record.  :rollin

Wait, bosk actually likes RISK?! And he's trashing early 'deth?!  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2295 on: October 01, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »
Oh yeah. I thought everyone knew that. He's a huge fan of RISK. Which is why all his 'DETH opinions are invalid.  :lol :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2296 on: October 01, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »
No question..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2297 on: October 01, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »
Wow. No wonder he leaves the carts out. See what bad metal does to you?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2298 on: October 01, 2018, 03:27:07 PM »
4th best Megadeth album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2299 on: October 02, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »
What if you really like Risk and the early stuff as well?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2300 on: October 02, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
I don't like Risk at all but the song Ecstasy is nice and groovy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2301 on: October 02, 2018, 09:09:15 AM »
What if you really like Risk and the early stuff as well?

Yeah, I just don't like early, "raw" thrash.  It doesn't click with me, and never has.  I don't like Megadeth's early albums or Metallica's earliest stuff either, for that matter.  Rust in Peace was really where I feel like they found their stride.  And even though they somewhat commercialized their sound for Countdown and Youthanasia, I really loved those albums as well.  That is the sweet spot for Megadeth, for me.  Risk was totally out of left field, but has some really awesome songs.  Take out Arena/Crush, and it's a pretty solid album. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2302 on: October 02, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
Megadeth is a strange band. I really dig them, but their output has been really spotty to me.

I agree with bosk1 that the band really didn't hit its stride until Rust in Peace. That said, I am a bigger fan of early thrash, so I dig the stuff that came before a whole hell of a lot. But if push came to shove, Rust in Peace was the band's high water mark. Like all bands in the early 90s, they capitalized on that with Countdown to Extinction, which was a bit more polished, but still thrash with a bigger emphasis on bringing in hard rock people. It worked. Metallica did the same jump from ...And Justice to the Black album, Queensryche from Mindcrime to Empire, etc. It was simply what was done back then. They all did it.

Youthanasia followed, and like bosk1, I really like that too, although it started to veer a bit much into melodic territory for a thrash band, IMO. Again, Metallica had the same trajectory, but worse, going at it full tilt with Load. Then came Cryptic Writings, if my memory is working this morning. In some parts, its heavier, and in other parts, its much more commercial. It was really a hit and miss album for me personally, although I liked probably four of five songs. The producer they used on this album convinced Dave to approach things in a different way, and that really was captured on RISK, where Megadeth fell off the wagon.

Even when the band put out The World Needs a Hero, it really wasn't much better than Cryptic, just darker (and killer artwork). The frustrating thing on that record was that one of the best songs from that era was a b-side, "Kill the King." That and "Disconnect," for me, are tops from that album cycle. They started making their way back (for me at least) with The System Has Failed, and that continued with United Abominations, and Endgame. I thought that three-record run was dynamite, with the occasional bad tune (for example, that horrendous ballad that is the only bad track on Endgame).

Then Dave showed he didn't learn. He once again started trying to go more melodic, with Thirteen, with what was to my ears, his attempt to do another Countdown to Extinction. It was OK, but...eh. And Super Collider...the title track is awful. But I really dug Kingmaker and Dance in the Rain. But the album sort of fell flat after the title track was pushed so hard as the single. Then, finally, the pendulum started swinging back high the other way, with Dystopia, which I think is probably a top-5 in Megadeth's career. (After Rust, Countdown, Peace Sells, and United Abominations). It's up there with Endgame for me in that 5/6 territory.

But its just funny to me that every time Dave makes some inroads, he tries to go commercial, and then has to reset all over again. Honestly, thrash bands have the most difficult time. If you're thrash, you're not really given a lot of leeway by fans to explore new musical ground. You get some, for sure. But once it veers into that commercial hard rock territory, it just feels wrong. Metallica, as much as people laud them...they haven't sounded like Metallica since the Black album. Hell, they have "METAL" as their name, but Load and Re-Load were hard rock at best. They never did find their way back to thrash (and the Black album was not thrash). They've tried, but it just sounded contrived. Megadeth has had more success going back to the thrash well, but unlike Metallica, never exploded into a global icon, so they have less leeway with fans for whatever reason.

But even next tier thrash bands, such as Testament and Death Angel. The moment they veer into commercial territory, it doesn't quite feel right, and then they realize it and right the ship. It's not that the commercial sounding stuff isn't good, but you expect thrash bands to thrash, not be a catchy hard rock band.

Other bands that weren't thrash, but were metal/hard rock, had wider boxes (to a degree) to work in. But if you were thrash, it sort of handcuffed you (unless you were Metallica - and even then, all the diehards know that KEA-Black album are the best in the band's history, and from Load-present, aren't even in the same ballpark, even if they won't admit it publicly).

Megadeth though - what a rollercoaster ride. Hopefully, with the end probably being near (Dave seems to be declining, the shows are shorter, everything is downtuned -- which is crazy, considering nothing in Megadeth's catalog is hard to sing), Dave has realized this, and will give us another album or two of heavy, great thrash metal to bookend things. Fingers crossed.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2303 on: October 02, 2018, 09:57:20 AM »
I would've been fine if Dystopia had been the last Megadeth album. What a strong return to form, honestly my favorite Deth album since Rust.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2304 on: October 02, 2018, 10:00:13 AM »
I would've been fine if Dystopia had been the last Megadeth album.

I'm with you on this. Part of me is happy they are doing another one. But if it slips in quality, it'll be a huge letdown. I am hoping Kiko's playing continues to inspire Dave to go heavier and complex. Just one last huge one, and then call it a day after the inevitable four-year tour cycle.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2305 on: October 02, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »
Youthanasia followed, and like bosk1, I really like that too, although it started to veer a bit much into melodic territory for a thrash band, IMO.

I was fine with it on Youthanasia because it still felt genuine and felt true to their roots.  Cryptic, to me, is when they went too far.  And despite some heaviness (the nastiness of that main riff in Trust, for example), it just didn't strike a chord with me the way the previous three albums and the Hidden Treasures EP had.

Even when the band put out The World Needs a Hero, it really wasn't much better than Cryptic, just darker (and killer artwork).

That album was very hit and miss.  The title track and a few others were really killer.  And Jimmy's drumming on that album is amazing.  Unfortunately, there is a lot that drags the album down a bit.  And the band were really struggling to find their direction, or so it felt like.  I mean, Dave obviously realized they needed a major course correction after Risk, but it seemed like the album was more of an attempt to show the fans that they were still Megadeth instead of just being Megadeth, if that makes sense.  That may not have been the intent.  But it feels like it.

The frustrating thing on that record was that one of the best songs from that era was a b-side, "Kill the King." That and "Disconnect," for me, are tops from that album cycle.

As I recall, Kill the King was actually written specifically for Capitol Punishment.  That and Dread and the Fugitive Mind were pretty killer. 

...Dystopia

I have found something to like on just about every album.  After TWNAH, the albums honestly blur together so much that it's hard for me to remember which songs I like from which ones.  But Dystopia is easily the best thing they have released since those earlier albums.  I wouldn't put it quite up there with them.  But I honestly can't say it is a step down.  A lot of it is simply that their time, and my connection with that kind of music, is kind of past.  There was an era for it, and I like looking back on it.  But by and large, I would rather go back and revisit the classic stuff than hear new stuff, even if arguably, it is just as good.  But Dystopia is a fine effort.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2306 on: October 02, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »

As I recall, Kill the King was actually written specifically for Capitol Punishment.  That and Dread and the Fugitive Mind were pretty killer. 

Hmm. I could have sworn it was a track written in the TWNAH sessions. It was played live on Rude Awakening, and on the tour for TWNAH, which I am guessing all came before Capitol Punishment. Not saying you're wrong, as I am not an expert on Megadeth history, but I could swear it was written for TWNAH. Regardless, its in that general time period.

And I agree, Dread and the Fugitive Mind is a great one. That, Disconnect, and Kill the King. My top ones from that album cycle/period.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2307 on: October 02, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »
Capitol Punishment came first.  I think that is where your confusion lies.  CP came out in 2000.  It was the last release on Capitol.  TWNAH was released in 2001 on Sanctuary.  I am not sure if there were separate writing sessions, so it all may have blurred together.  Because of the timing, I was under the impression that Kill the King, Dread, and the song Capitol Punishment were written before they really started on the writing for TWNAH, but hard to say.

But anyhow, for all intents and purposes, it is all the same album cycle since CP was a "best of" compilation to finish out their contract, which was then followed by TWNAH as their next studio release the following year, and then Rude Awakening from the tour that followed.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2308 on: October 02, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »
Capitol Punishment came first.  I think that is where your confusion lies.  CP came out in 2000.  It was the last release on Capitol.  TWNAH was released in 2001 on Sanctuary.  I am not sure if there were separate writing sessions, so it all may have blurred together.  Because of the timing, I was under the impression that Kill the King, Dread, and the song Capitol Punishment were written before they really started on the writing for TWNAH, but hard to say.

But anyhow, for all intents and purposes, it is all the same album cycle since CP was a "best of" compilation to finish out their contract, which was then followed by TWNAH as their next studio release the following year, and then Rude Awakening from the tour that followed.

Wait, so CP came first, and included Dread? Dread was on TWNAH, so technically, if that was on TWNAH, sounds to me it was all the same sessions. Basically, two of my favorite three songs from TWNAH time period are on CP. I don't think I ever bothered to listen to the song, "Capitol Punishment." I should do that.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2309 on: October 02, 2018, 10:49:38 AM »

Hmm. I could have sworn it was a track written in the TWNAH sessions. It was played live on Rude Awakening, and on the tour for TWNAH, which I am guessing all came before Capitol Punishment. Not saying you're wrong, as I am not an expert on Megadeth history, but I could swear it was written for TWNAH. Regardless, its in that general time period.

And I agree, Dread and the Fugitive Mind is a great one. That, Disconnect, and Kill the King. My top ones from that album cycle/period.

Kill the King and Dread were songs written for TWNAH.   Capitol Records forced Dave to give them those two songs for Capitol Punishment, which completed their contract.   Dave negotiated with them and was able to also use Dread on TWNAH, since he felt that was a really strong song, and the better of the two.