Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354398 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2100 on: January 22, 2016, 03:31:48 PM »
These positive opinions are encouraging.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2101 on: January 22, 2016, 03:32:55 PM »
It's my opinion that you should be positively encouraged.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2102 on: January 22, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
That's good then.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2103 on: January 23, 2016, 10:23:12 AM »
The Title Track might be the best Megadeth tune I've heard in a long time.

Also lots of SFSGSW And Peace Sells moments on this album. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2104 on: January 23, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »
This is definitely a more megadeth sounding album than Super Collider which I personally liked.

One of my favorite tracks from dystopia is Poisonous Shadows.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:14:56 AM by ozzy554 »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline krands85

« Reply #2105 on: January 23, 2016, 11:19:21 AM »
Definitely. Haven't been able to hear the album yet, but looking forward to it now. Endgame was the last one I enjoyed.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2106 on: January 23, 2016, 01:03:56 PM »
This album absolutely destroys. Best thing they've done since the '90s, imo.

Although it's quite hilarious how bad the lyrics are – "Look Who's Talking," in particular, is as horrible lyrically as the alt "Vortex!" Musically it's great though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2107 on: January 23, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »
I thought today that if David Ellefson ever left the band then Jason Newsted should join :P :)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2108 on: January 23, 2016, 02:58:59 PM »
My favorite is definitely Conquer or Die. Badass riff progression and a truly epic guitar solo. Too bad they didn't make a proper song with lyrics out of this, but it's spectacular nonetheless.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2109 on: January 23, 2016, 08:36:47 PM »
Easily their best since Endgame but that's not too much to say, pretty average record. Middle tier for me, together with System Has Failed and United Abominations.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2110 on: January 24, 2016, 02:25:17 AM »
I thought today that if David Ellefson ever left the band then Jason Newsted should join :P :)

Look Who's Talking is a bonus track and I actually like the lyrics on it.  They make me laugh (in a good way)  The only song that has weak lyrics IMO is The Emperor. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2111 on: January 24, 2016, 03:22:19 AM »
Got my copy and have heard the first half and it's very promising indeed. Kiko is owning this so far.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: January 24, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »

I like Newsted so I wouldn't wish he finds himself in a band with Mustaine at any point heh

My favorite is definitely Conquer or Die. Badass riff progression and a truly epic guitar solo. Too bad they didn't make a proper song with lyrics out of this, but it's spectacular nonetheless.

I love that track as well but I think part of the reason is great is that there's not singing or lyrics on it, The System Has Failed was the last time Mustiane had decent vocal melodies for verses and choruses, that's why nothing after The System Has Failed is individually recognizable to me, especially verses.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2113 on: January 25, 2016, 02:54:59 AM »
Had a casual listen over the weekend and it sounds promising, now I have to find the time to listen to it more often.

And wtf is up with a spotify bonus track? Artists complain that they are not getting paid or not getting paid enough when their music is streamed on spotify (and others) and then they give them exclusive material?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:09:33 AM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
And wtf is up with a spotify bonus track? Artists complain that they are not getting paid or not getting paid enough when their music is streamed on spotify (and others) and then they give them exclusive material?

At least it's just a shitty cover.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2115 on: January 25, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »
So, this album is quite fucking excellent.  The new lineup could be the strongest since the classic RIP lineup.  Alder is brilliant and Kiko seems to really have paid attention to the Megadeth sound and his work on this brings the Friedman and even Poland eras to mind.  His solos also are out of this world.  Most of us knew how much of a good underrated player he is but he deserves this success even if it's to the detriment of Angra.

Only listened to it twice but the songs seem like classic Deth mixed with some Cryptic Writings style also on a couple of tracks.  Dave sounds surprisingly great and the production is incredible for a modern metal album.  It's loud, but everything sounds clear and the mix is great.

Very impressed with this album so far, Dave's hit a home run it seems.  If he can keep this lineup, we could be seeing a new classic Deth 2.0 era.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2116 on: January 25, 2016, 04:15:55 PM »
I picked it up on Friday and casually listened to about the first half while driving.  Did not have a chance to listen further over the weekend.  But I was underwhelmed and actually felt that it was the weakest sounding Megadeth album I could remember.  The riffs seemed very simple and straightforward, and lacking any real punch.  And the vocals seemed very subdued.  Maybe I just wasn't in the right headspace or something, but I was really confused by what I was hearing since it did not seem to match up at all with the opinions I had been reading.  Obviously, I will give it a few more listens to try and figure out what I am missing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2117 on: January 25, 2016, 04:24:09 PM »
I picked it up on Friday and casually listened to about the first half while driving.  Did not have a chance to listen further over the weekend.  But I was underwhelmed and actually felt that it was the weakest sounding Megadeth album I could remember.  The riffs seemed very simple and straightforward, and lacking any real punch.  And the vocals seemed very subdued.  Maybe I just wasn't in the right headspace or something, but I was really confused by what I was hearing since it did not seem to match up at all with the opinions I had been reading.  Obviously, I will give it a few more listens to try and figure out what I am missing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2118 on: January 25, 2016, 04:29:56 PM »
:bosky:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2119 on: January 25, 2016, 04:35:21 PM »

Don't know what to say to this to be honest, but it's your opinion man, but give it a few more spins.  It was a lot better on the second listen.  IMO it's an album you really have to pay attention to from the get to.  I can see it just cruising by if someone was casually listening to it and not giving it their full attention.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2120 on: January 26, 2016, 08:49:15 AM »
I am liking it a lot better this next time through so far.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2121 on: January 26, 2016, 12:02:28 PM »
I am liking it a lot better this next time through so far.

I usually have to give Megadeth albums a few spins to enjoy them.  First time I heard the title track I thought it was only OK.  Now I love it for example.  I was a little underwhelmed after my 1st listen to the album but on the 2nd spin it clicked and it had more melody than I thought.  I like when Megadeth mixes melody with fast or angry songs.

Don't know why some complain about the lyrics.  They are pretty good overall (except The Emperor is cheesy but it fits the song)  "Lying in State" has great lyrics.

Did you get the Best Buy version with the bonus tracks?  They make the album feel more complete

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2122 on: January 26, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
Yes, I got the BB version.  Which ones are the "bonus tracks?"  The back cover just lists them all and does not say which ones are bonus tracks.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2123 on: January 26, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »
I bought RiP and CtE around the time Super Collider came out (got the Best Buy version of that), but in prep for Dystopia I scooped up most of the discography over the past month along with the BB-version of the new one, so I'll marathon my way through soon. Just need Risk, The World Needs a Hero and Endgame and I can check Megadeth off my list.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2124 on: January 26, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
Look Who's Talking (which I really like...fun song)
and
Last Dying Wish  Not a big fan of this one but I'd rather have it on there than not.

I wouldn't have minded if they replaced Last Dying Wish with the Japanese bonus track though (Me Hate You because Me Hate You is a better song)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: January 26, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »
I really want to hear these bonus tracks.  Gotta find them.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2126 on: January 26, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »
I really want to hear these bonus tracks.  Gotta find them.

Original Studio Bonus Tracks (From the best to worst IMO)

Look Who's Talking (On Best Buy Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EDrGB63wDM

Me Hate You (On Japanese version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGG5GR1XS2g

Last Dying Wish (On Best Buy Version - weakest of the 3 studio bonus tracks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4XNgzSYJ9w

The songs on the regular album were better but I still think that Look Who's Talking and Me Hate You were strong enough to make the regular album.  I might even prefer "Look Who's Talking" over 1 or 2 songs that made the cut.  I like having all of the songs but I could live without Last Dying Wish even though I still think it is OK and don't skip it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:27:40 PM by Hanz Gruber »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2127 on: January 26, 2016, 02:26:35 PM »
Thanks man, I'll check them out later when I'm home.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #2128 on: January 26, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »
From the few listens I have I guess it's another TWNAH type record...probably at The same level of Endgame and The System Has Failed..I really found Foreign policy funny. Reminded me of those mediocre punk bands but yeah...if it was a BSide it would be better

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2129 on: January 26, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
I really found Foreign policy funny. Reminded me of those mediocre punk bands but yeah...if it was a BSide it would be better

You do know it's a cover of punk band Fear?

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #2130 on: January 26, 2016, 03:24:32 PM »
hmm ok

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2131 on: January 26, 2016, 03:48:47 PM »
From the few listens I have I guess it's another TWNAH type record...probably at The same level of Endgame and The System Has Failed..I really found Foreign policy funny. Reminded me of those mediocre punk bands but yeah...if it was a BSide it would be better

Yep.  It is a cover of a punk song.  I like it except the chorus unfortunately.  (Not a big fan of punk music) 

Dave sounds brutal (in a good way) on the song but I wish it had more of a chorus than "FOREIGN POLICY! FOREIGN POLICY!! FOREIGN POLICY!!!!"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:07:51 PM by Hanz Gruber »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2132 on: January 26, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
I didn't know that was a Fear song, but I know Dave has a HUGE punk influence.  And given his connections with Fear, that makes sense.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: January 26, 2016, 04:00:54 PM »
He does sound great on that track indeed, I noticed that right away.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2134 on: January 27, 2016, 05:08:02 PM »
Decided to add this one to my Spotify/Deezer playlists to ease waiting for my more anticipated albums. Aaand I don't think this one will leave them any time soon, I think it's great! :metal