Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 353964 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1960 on: March 30, 2015, 12:35:52 PM »
CHRIS ADLER of LAMB OF GOD Joins DAVE MUSTAINE in the Studio for New MEGADETH Album
Dave Mustaine, the creative driving force behind original American metal and hard rock crossover giants MEGADETH, and Chris Adler, drummer for the leaders of modern American heavy metal LAMB OF GOD, will join bassist David Ellefson in the creation of MEGADETH's anticipated forthcoming album. Adler will be appearing as a guest on the album and contributing his thundering, hard-hitting, and technically precise style and skill, adding new blood and drive into the mix while staying true to MEGADETH's roots.
Dave Mustaine comments, "Chris is a tremendous talent, and an amazing person. He is going to bring a new level of excitement and energy to MEGADETH that the fans are going to lose their minds over. I have nothing but respect for my previous drummers, but this is going to absolutely KILL! Back in 1989, MEGADETH originally worked as a three piece - guitar, bass and drums - when we laid down the framework to our GRAMMY® nominated platinum album 'Rust In Peace'. I want to thank the other members of Lamb Of God for allowing this opportunity to take place for all of us in the metal community."
David Ellefson adds, "Chris has been an endearing friend to us in MEGADETH for many years now, and he truly appreciates our music and its legacy. His drumming has forged such an innovative and ferocious path for metal music and I'm very proud that he is anchoring our rhythm section with us on this new album. I can clearly see a new dawn of 'utmost heaviness' unfolding in MEGADETH's next chapter."
Chris Adler offers, "MEGADETH was the game changer for me. Growing up, there was no other band that meant as much to my musical interest and direction. There is no doubt I would not be doing what I have been doing for the past three decades had I not stumbled across 'Killing Is My Business' and the bible of all metal, 'Peace Sells' in my formative years."
"About 10 years ago, LAMB OF GOD toured with MEGADETH and I was able to share that story with Dave and David, and we have kept in touch ever since", adds Adler. "When Dave called me a while ago and asked if I was interested in making a thrash metal album with him, I felt like I must've been on a hidden camera show. "I was trying to play it cool, but I was speechless other than YES! Once I called my wife and my band guys to let everyone know, I had some time to really think about it and how I can best fit into this situation. I'm coming into this on fire. There is an incredible amount of respect, but the goal here is to make the very best thrash album we can. Together, I believe we can do something very special! Get ready for a very exciting chapter in the MEGADETH legacy."
The new album is the follow up to MEGADETH's 2013 release, Super Collider. Super Collider hit No. 6 on The Billboard 200 and No. 3 on both the Top Rock Albums and Top Hard Rock Albums charts consecutively. To date, MEGADETH has sold more than 38 million albums worldwide and has scored five Top 10 albums, two Top 5 releases.

Chris Alder. nice.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1961 on: March 30, 2015, 01:00:55 PM »
Youthanasia has its fair share of filler towards the end of the album.  CTE is far more consistent.  But I prefer Youth over it.  The first 6-7 songs are outstanding.

Youthanasia is great, CTE has way too much filler.

I've never felt that way about either album.  I can honestly say that I listened to both from start to finish, loving pretty much every song along the way.  If anything, it was maybe a couple of the "hits" that did less for me than the deeper cuts.  But definitely nothing that felt like "filler" to me.  It wasn't until Cryptic Writings that I started to feel that way about their albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1962 on: April 02, 2015, 02:54:39 PM »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1963 on: April 02, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »
Kiko Loureiro as new Megadeth guitarist.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/kiko_loureiro_of_angra_is_officially_the_new_megadeth_guitarist.html

Yeah, baby!

B.Lee

At the very least, this should result in some personable guitar solos. Hopefully the album as a whole turns out great too though! :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1964 on: April 02, 2015, 03:08:22 PM »
I have no idea who that is.  But here's the thing:  Mustaine always finds great guitarists to work with.  But at the end of the day, he writes the songs, so whoever they have on guitar really doesn't mean a whole lot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1965 on: April 02, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
So Dave Mustaine, Kiko Loureiro, Dave Ellefson and Chris Adler? That's a good line-up.

Shame that Mustaine is probably going to botch it with subpar songs again.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: April 02, 2015, 05:23:10 PM »

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/kiko_loureiro_of_angra_is_officially_the_new_megadeth_guitarist.html

Yeah, baby!

B.Lee

My interest in Megadeth has reignited.  Chris was quite a boring guitarist IMO and didn't add anything to the band.  Expect amazing guitar solos on this new album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1967 on: April 07, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »

Yeah, baby!

B.Lee

My interest in Megadeth has reignited.  Chris was quite a boring guitarist IMO and didn't add anything to the band.  Expect amazing guitar solos on this new album.
Endgame was full of magnificent soloing. No idea what would be constituted as boring.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1968 on: April 07, 2015, 11:01:26 PM »

Yeah, baby!

B.Lee

Endgame was full of magnificent soloing. No idea what would be constituted as boring.

I didn't care for Endgame at all.  I might have to listen again based on your praise, but Chris in Megadeth just didn't do it for me.  He's technically an amazing guitarist but I just find his style in the band didn't work that well.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1969 on: April 08, 2015, 03:32:19 AM »
I have somewhat low expectations for Adler and Kiko because it doesn't sound like they are band members, but just filling in for studio work.  That can still produce something great, but it lowers the odds.  I'm hoping Kiko decides to treat this as his chance to broaden his fanbase and therefore puts his all into it, as opposed to saving the "good stuff" for his home band, Angra.

And Lamb of God really doesn't need crossover Megadeth fans.  Probably the other way around at this point.  So Adler might just be doing it for the experience.  Influenced by Megadeth, so here's a chance for him to say he was on an album of one of his influences.

I can only assume Mustaine's problem is that Megadeth obtained just enough success that he a) no longer gets honest feedback and b) feels like he knows what he's doing and doesn't need advice from people that were never as big as Megadeth once was, c) a combination of both.

It isn't that I hate new Megadeth, I just don't love it like I did in the 80s and 90s.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: April 08, 2015, 05:14:58 AM »
I get the low expectations based on these guys do seem like studio musicians, but since it's Megadeth, I don't really have an issue with it.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1971 on: April 11, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »
Christ, the soloing in Dialectic Chaos and This Day We Fight! is enough to get me at least a 3/4 chub.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1972 on: June 01, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »
Just bumping to post that I just finished Mustaine's book. Anyone else check it out?

Oh, and Wolfie, Endgame is awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1973 on: June 01, 2015, 04:40:57 PM »

Alright alright, I'll get the cd out and put it in the car today.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1974 on: June 01, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »
It's not like El Dorado levels of awesome, but it's not bad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: June 01, 2015, 05:00:07 PM »
It's not like El Dorado levels of awesome, but it's not bad.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1976 on: June 02, 2015, 04:34:43 AM »
Just bumping to post that I just finished Mustaine's book. Anyone else check it out?

Yeah I enjoyed that for what it was.  I had to constantly remind myself that Mustaine is most likely full of shit and tells porkies 90% of the time to make himself look awesome. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1977 on: June 03, 2015, 01:58:31 PM »

I read it about a year ago.  It's aight.  Too much focus on drugs/alcohol/rehab etc, and not enough focus on the music side of things.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1978 on: June 03, 2015, 02:10:34 PM »
I didn't know you read it. Cool. Yeah, I would be more interested in the band than the constant drug use plus as Sneak mentions, Mustaine is usually full of shit.
You just don't know what to believe, really.

I thought he was quite fair to Jeff Young in the book. I recently heard one of Jeff's podcasts where rip rips Mustaine for all kinds of untruths perpetuated about his time in the band.

I was hoping to hear a little more about Ellefson throughout the years, specifically about the split and reunion.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: June 03, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »

Alright, I popped Endgame in the car over the last 2 days and have found myself spinning it about 3 or 4 times.  It's amazing how an album can just change on you as it ages.  As I said I didn't care for it at all.  I don't know why, it just didn't do it for me when it came out.  It sounded good but nothing stuck, which is strange for Megadeth.

I gotta say, I'm happy to be corrected, this is a cracking album!  I really don't know how I didn't care for it.  The songs are really strong and doesn't overstay its welcome.  I'm not a huge fan of Chris still, but on this the solos are great, and Dave is no slouch either.  Great mix and production, nice choruses, classic Deth and lots of lead breaks.  The song structures are nice too.  There's a couple in there that are just average but nothing I wanted to skip over.  How weird.

I also popped in SuperCollider as I remembered that I actually thought that was a pretty good album when it came out.  I was wrong, it's crap.  My opinions on both of these albums have completely flipped!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1980 on: June 04, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »
Welcome back, Wolfie! :D

Yeah, Endgame totally sucks you in with the One Two punch of Dialectic Chaos/ This Day We Fight, modeled after Into The Lungs Of Hell/ Set The World Afire from SFSGSW, which is my fave from them.
It doesn't let you go until you realize you are halfway through the album.

After Endgame, I had huge expectations for this lineup, but they definitely took a step back with the next two releases.

After SFSGSW and RiP, I put Endgame right up there.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1981 on: June 04, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
you were pretty mixed up, hey Wolfster?!
SC is his only unlistenable output, while Endgame is Dave's best release since at least Hidden Treasures.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1982 on: June 04, 2015, 03:59:03 PM »
Yeah, I still have it in the car and will keep spinning it today.  Dunno what I was thinking.  Maybe when it was released I just wasn't in the Megadeth mood.  The funny thing is, I did go back to it a couple of times because of the positive reviews, but it still gave me nothing.  I don't ever remember totally backflipping on an album like this.  A nice surprise though.

The first two are killer, 44 Minutes and Bodies and good too.  Headcrusher is solid and I love Sealed with A Kiss...The Hardest Part of Letting Go.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1983 on: June 04, 2015, 06:39:18 PM »
Yeah, I still have it in the car and will keep spinning it today.  Dunno what I was thinking.  Maybe when it was released I just wasn't in the Megadeth mood.  The funny thing is, I did go back to it a couple of times because of the positive reviews, but it still gave me nothing.  I don't ever remember totally backflipping on an album like this.  A nice surprise though.

The first two are killer, 44 Minutes and Bodies and good too.  Headcrusher is solid and I love Sealed with A Kiss...The Hardest Part of Letting Go.
:metal :metal

Offline Cable

« Reply #1984 on: June 04, 2015, 07:11:34 PM »
https://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/tom-araya-says-the-big-four-will-never-happen-again-because-of-politics-of-character-in-one-particular-band

Older article I came across, and I'm probably re-treading something in this thread. I don't honestly have the time to scour threads for it; search was blank.

No new news, but dammit if Mustaine isn't the largest butt opening ever. It's a shame too, because he number #2 in my book out the four music writing wise. But every other individual in the bands, including Lars, are much more likable than him.
---

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: June 04, 2015, 07:15:45 PM »
I don't think Tom and Kerry would be easy to get on with either.  Not saying that has anything to do with this article but Kerry is a big a dick as Dave is.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1986 on: June 04, 2015, 08:20:42 PM »
I don't think Tom and Kerry would be easy to get on with either.  Not saying that has anything to do with this article but Kerry is a big a dick as Dave is.

I always thought Tom sounded like a really down to earth guy.    Kerry OTOH  :\ .   That guy is the most anti-social prick this side of Geoff Tate.  Dave is just an annoying whiner.   Kerry is just a complete ass.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: June 04, 2015, 08:24:38 PM »
Sounds like they could easily put together The Big 4 wankers between them without even calling Lars.  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: June 04, 2015, 08:27:46 PM »
Sounds like they could easily put together The Big 4 wankers between them without even calling Lars.  ;D

Lars would still get butthurt that he wasn't invited.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1989 on: June 05, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
Slayer aren't bigger than MegaDave, are they?!

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1990 on: June 05, 2015, 06:33:35 PM »
Yeah, Endgame is amazing. I would say that it even beats out PS, RiP, and Youthanasia (the remainder of my top 4)
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1991 on: June 07, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »
Slayer aren't bigger than MegaDave, are they?!

I think the fanbase is. Slayer has never been as big as Megadeth commercially. But to me, the fans are more loyal and rabid, and I would not be surprised if Slayer drew bigger crowds. I have nothing to support that however.
---

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1992 on: June 07, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »
I don't even like them anymore, and even I can tell you that Slayer has retained more of their core loyal audience than any of the other big 4. Slayer fans are just a whole new level of "they can do no wrong" fanatical.

Though I'm thinking that with, not one but two core members gone, it will fall off the table now. Kerry kicking out Dave and then trying to CPR this brain dead corpse is just a joke.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1993 on: June 08, 2015, 10:52:05 PM »
I don't even like them anymore, and even I can tell you that Slayer has retained more of their core loyal audience than any of the other big 4. Slayer fans are just a whole new level of "they can do no wrong" fanatical.

And I have no idea why. The quality of their work took a steep nosedive after Divine Intervention (which is already the weakest of their first six), and has only slightly recovered since then. Now that Jeff died and Dave was kicked out, there is no hope for a return to glory.

Of the other Big 4 bands, I have not listened to much of Anthrax's work. Metallica's debut was ok, the next four albums were great, I have not listened to the Loads, and everything since then is not all that good. Megadeth fared a bit better, as they released a few good albums after Youthanasia (namely UA and my personal favorite of theirs, Endgame), but the second half of their discography is still rather underwhelming. I'd say that, of these bands, Megadeth has the most potential right now, as two of their four most recent releases were pretty good (compared to what may be a similar number for Metallica, though their last four albums were released over a much larger time span, and 0/4 for Slayer, even though I am somewhat fond of World Painted Blood).
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1994 on: June 10, 2015, 06:37:27 AM »
How many people have been in Megadeth Vs Slayer ?

I'm not an expert - but hasn't Slayer always been Tom, Kerry and Jeff with the drumstool being filled by Lombardo & Bostaph at regular intervals ?