Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 353958 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1820 on: December 02, 2014, 01:12:53 AM »
There are strong signs of the RIP lineup getting back together so my money is on that right now

Signs where? where signs?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1821 on: December 02, 2014, 04:15:32 AM »
There are strong signs of the RIP lineup getting back together so my money is on that right now

Yeah, I have no idea where he would have gotten that from. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1822 on: December 02, 2014, 06:45:15 AM »
He has made a very public commitment to TWD. I would be surprised if he accepted anything that would interfere with that
commitment.

Very true.  But, hypothetically, I think there are a couple of factors:
1.  Megadeth is comparatively huge relative to other opportunities Mike currently has available, so making an "adjustment" to his present commitments if this opportunity presented itself might not be out of the question.
2.  I think that neither project is so active that adjustments in the schedule could not be made to accommodate.  I think he could probably work it out.  In a way, Megadeth would be ideal from that standpoint.  They are big enough that it would be a great gig to earn some more serious cash and get him out on bigger stages, but they aren't HUGE anymore and are a bit less busy so that he could still do other things, time (and Mustaine) permitting.

I dunno.  I still think it is more likely than not that he will NOT be the next Megadeth drummer.  But so far, none of the reasons I have seen should be considered insurmountable hurdles.
Pretty much this. There are strong signs of the RIP lineup getting back together so my money is on that right now, but if not I think MP is a good bet.

To be completely honest I don't think TWD will last that long. Maybe one or two new albums at most. These supergroups tend to not last very long, especially when one or more of the members have bigger commitments. Just look at what happened to Chickenfoot, or more recently BCC (granted other factors seemed to be bigger causes for that split). If MP wants an actual full time band with longevity, unless he finds a bunch of young musicians to start a brand new band, he's gonna have to join an already established act. Megadeth could be the ticket. The only question after that is how long would he last in that band.  :lol

I can't see Megadeth lasting much longer tbh. Even if MP joined I don't think he'd be in the band very long.

Mustaine is already 53. Can anyone see him still fronting Megadeth at age 60 ? That's only 7 years away.  His voice is in terrible shape as it is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1823 on: December 02, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »
Okay, but his voice has ALWAYS been in terrible shape.  You might like his voice or feel that it suits the songs, but I don't think I have ever heard anyone try to argue that Mustaine was ever a good singer or had a great voice, ever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1824 on: December 02, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
Okay, but his voice has ALWAYS been in terrible shape.  You might like his voice or feel that it suits the songs, but I don't think I have ever heard anyone try to argue that Mustaine was ever a good singer or had a great voice, ever.

ABSOLUTELY THIS

I absolutely loved Megadeth back in the day, and I still hold the pre-CTE stuff to be some of the best thrash ever made.  And I *do* think Dave's snarling delivery really fits most of the time.   But the guy CANNOT "sing"...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1825 on: December 02, 2014, 10:24:38 AM »
I like his "non-singing" though. Saying he cannot sing is a bit unfair, I'd say he has his own unique style that doesn't conform to standard singing techniques, and when it does come to standard singing techniques, yes, I'd say he's probably not very proficient at that.
But as it is, saying he can't sing at all is like hearing someone do guttural vocals and saying they can't sing at all. It's a different technique, and for Mustaine, he's very good at what he does. If he was TRYING to sing normally, and this is what we got, then yeah, I'd say he couldn't sing. And I haven't heard him actually tru to sing normally to make that judgment.  But what he is doing, he's getting the exact result he wants out of it. And honestly, I much prefer listening to Mustaine's vocals than anything guttural.
But yeah, for his purposes, aside from the odd clean passage here and there, he really doesn't need his voice to be in any kind of an excellent shape, so I don't see why he couldn't go on doing what he's doing well into his 60s. If anything ever causes him to stop, I have a feeling that it's going to be his hands long before his voice.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1826 on: December 02, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
If he was TRYING to sing normally, and this is what we got, then yeah, I'd say he couldn't sing. And I haven't heard him actually tru to sing normally to make that judgment.  But what he is doing, he's getting the exact result he wants out of it.

He's trying to sing HIS normal and he just can't do it anymore - I really don't think he's getting the exact result he wants out of his singing.  He can sing pretty much NOTHING from the pre-2000's Deth back catalogue.  At least not without tuning the guitar down a whole step to D standard - which in itself is lolcats as Dave's gone on record as saying that downtuning is stupid because 'the guitar doesn't resonate the way its supposed to at A440z".  Pffffffftttt

Pffffffftttttttt

To be fair, he could never really replicate his studio vocals live.  He could've done with some singing lessons early on to preserve what he had by using proper technique but his huge inflated ego probably stopped him making that call. 

Disc 4 of Warchest has the best live vocals.  Lets just bask in that glory and forget everything after that.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1827 on: December 02, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »
Man, if only Nevermore still existed, I would've love to see Chris back in that band.  :'( :'(
Because Mike is better than Mike

« Reply #1828 on: December 02, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »
If he was TRYING to sing normally, and this is what we got, then yeah, I'd say he couldn't sing. And I haven't heard him actually tru to sing normally to make that judgment.  But what he is doing, he's getting the exact result he wants out of it.

He's trying to sing HIS normal and he just can't do it anymore - I really don't think he's getting the exact result he wants out of his singing.  He can sing pretty much NOTHING from the pre-2000's Deth back catalogue.  At least not without tuning the guitar down a whole step to D standard - which in itself is lolcats as Dave's gone on record as saying that downtuning is stupid because 'the guitar doesn't resonate the way its supposed to at A440z".  Pffffffftttt

Pffffffftttttttt

To be fair, he could never really replicate his studio vocals live.  He could've done with some singing lessons early on to preserve what he had by using proper technique but his huge inflated ego probably stopped him making that call. 

Disc 4 of Warchest has the best live vocals.  Lets just bask in that glory and forget everything after that.

You know, I noticed this with Super Collider, but these days, I find he's starting to sound more and more like Lemmy from Motorhead. And honestly, I'm not sure that's such a bad thing, haha.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1829 on: December 02, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »
If you detuned Dave's vocals on any early Megadeth record down a fifth they'd probably sound like Lemmy too :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1830 on: December 02, 2014, 03:39:17 PM »
Killed By Deth  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

« Reply #1831 on: December 02, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »
If you detuned Dave's vocals on any early Megadeth record down a fifth they'd probably sound like Lemmy too :lol

Now that sounds like an interesting experiment!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1832 on: December 02, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1833 on: December 02, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1834 on: December 02, 2014, 04:49:21 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: December 02, 2014, 07:36:48 PM »

https://www.wolverinekills.com/2014/11/29/megadeth-rust-in-peace-line-up-reuniting/

Weird I haven't heard about this, but well done indeed.  And very interesting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1836 on: December 02, 2014, 11:49:10 PM »

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1837 on: December 03, 2014, 05:36:06 AM »
That's some interesting detective work!

Dave Ellefson spoken word tour..
https://bravewords.com/news/megadeth-bassist-david-ellefsons-my-life-with-death-spoken-word-tour-to-hit-australia-in-march

Every Megadeth tour is a spoken word tour with how limited Dave's voice is.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1838 on: December 03, 2014, 02:55:43 PM »
:lol

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #1839 on: December 04, 2014, 01:56:24 AM »
https://www.wolverinekills.com/2014/11/29/megadeth-rust-in-peace-line-up-reuniting/

I'm not going to dismiss the notion out of hand, but it's a bit of a stretch to go from mutual follows with the bass player on Twitter to "Marty Friedman willing to suspend his burgeoning career in Japan to put up with Mustaine's shit again".

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: December 04, 2014, 03:09:45 AM »
Megadeth bassist David Ellefson reassured fans that despite the recent departure of guitarist Chris Broderick and drummer Shawn Drover, the group will not disband.

"As you can probably tell by me being here today, we are not disbanding," he said during a recent fan club chat.

"As of right now, we are looking at all the options, of which there are many. We'll certainly continue working on the new songs for the next record, Hopefully that brings everyone up to speed on things as of today. Thank you for all of your kind words, concerns and support to us," Ellefson added.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/david_ellefson_megadeth_is_not_disbanding.html
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1841 on: December 04, 2014, 03:38:47 AM »
They should do open auditions. I'm sure there's hundreds of unknown drummers and guitarists who would kill to be in a high profile gig like that.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: December 04, 2014, 07:12:44 AM »
It seems like such a waste to go through lineup changes as often as Megadeth seems to.

The new member (if not an old member rejoining) has to learn a huge, complex back catalog of songs.   Maybe not every single one, but enough that it would seem like a huge pain in the ass to bring on a new member.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1843 on: December 04, 2014, 07:25:18 AM »
It seems like such a waste to go through lineup changes as often as Megadeth seems to.

The new member (if not an old member rejoining) has to learn a huge, complex back catalog of songs.   Maybe not every single one, but enough that it would seem like a huge pain in the ass to bring on a new member.

I dunno, did you ever hear the story of Jimmy Degrasso's first gig with them? My memory may be off, but I think he had like, a night to learn a Megadeth set - he was playing a festival with them the next day.  He did it all without any drums, just by learning and memorizing the recordings.  Played the show the next day without a hitch.  That's the calibre of musician they're working with so I don't think it'd be that big a deal.  Plus, the money's gotta be not-too-shabby like, thats usually a good motivator for wanting to do the job right.

Its interesting tho, imagine how amazing Metallica would be if it was James Hetfield and a rotating cast of stellar musicians lol.  I don't even know how you could call Megadeth Megadeth anymore.  They should just call it The Daves. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1844 on: December 04, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »
I dunno, did you ever hear the story of Jimmy Degrasso's first gig with them? My memory may be off, but I think he had like, a night to learn a Megadeth set - he was playing a festival with them the next day.  He did it all without any drums, just by learning and memorizing the recordings.  Played the show the next day without a hitch.  That's the calibre of musician they're working with so I don't think it'd be that big a deal.  Plus, the money's gotta be not-too-shabby like, thats usually a good motivator for wanting to do the job right.

Its interesting tho, imagine how amazing Metallica would be if it was James Hetfield and a rotating cast of stellar musicians lol.  I don't even know how you could call Megadeth Megadeth anymore.  They should just call it The Daves.

I  hadn't heard about that. I did wonder if at that level of musicianship if my pondering was even a real issue.  It still just seems like a massive PITA.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1845 on: December 04, 2014, 07:34:39 AM »
I feel like Dave Mustaine's whole career has been nothing but ass pain :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1846 on: December 04, 2014, 08:30:43 AM »
My Last Turds
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1847 on: December 04, 2014, 08:41:23 AM »

Well, yes, but you also have to take into account that Jimmy is a freak.  :lol 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1848 on: December 04, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »
Well, yeah.  :lol He's a big part of the reason I loved Rude Awakening so much, he's a monster.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1849 on: December 04, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »
I've loved pretty much all of his work that I have heard. 

On a side note, I don't remember the timing for sure, but I think he and Dave already had a relationship too because they had worked on MD.45 prior to Jimmy joining Megadeth, if memory serves.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1850 on: December 04, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »
If the RIP lineup doesn't come back, I would LOVE to see DeGrasso back in Megadeth. Have you seen She Wolf live with his drum solo? FLAWLESS :metal

Oh, and speaking of RIP, you should check out my top 50 albums thread in fifteen minutes  :biggrin:
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline emtee

« Reply #1851 on: December 04, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »
The last Deth show I saw was Gigantour when DT opened just prior to them. I stayed for a couple songs but their energy was
lacking and it was a long day going back and forth between stages to catch the bands I wanted to see. For those who have
seen them recently do you think they still have the capability to fill theaters and then to keep people there with ample energy?
They just didn't hold a candle to DT's performance when I saw them. It was a let down.

« Reply #1852 on: December 04, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
The last Deth show I saw was Gigantour when DT opened just prior to them. I stayed for a couple songs but their energy was
lacking and it was a long day going back and forth between stages to catch the bands I wanted to see. For those who have
seen them recently do you think they still have the capability to fill theaters and then to keep people there with ample energy?
They just didn't hold a candle to DT's performance when I saw them. It was a let down.

Well, I went to see Gigantour last year, and it's a definite yes.
The Molson Ampitheater was full (fits 16000 people), and while it's true that a lot of them were probably there for Black Label Society, I would definitely say that Megadeth had great energy, plus I was way at the front, and let me tell you, the amount of people trying to push and shove their way to the front when Megadeth was performing was pretty intense. Quite a few people were squeezed out of the front row, and I remember someone actually had to be pulled out by security because they couldn't handle the pressure. So the people that WERE there, had their enthusiasm cranked.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1853 on: December 04, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »

Felt the same way when I saw them at the Gigantour in Albuquerque with DT. Left after two songs.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1854 on: December 04, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »
If the RIP lineup doesn't come back, I would LOVE to see DeGrasso back in Megadeth. Have you seen She Wolf live with his drum solo? FLAWLESS :metal

Oh, and speaking of RIP, you should check out my top 50 albums thread in fifteen minutes  :biggrin:

Finally, something in your top ten I can dig!

Felt the same way when I saw them at the Gigantour in Albuquerque with DT. Left after two songs.

Yep.  Saw them at a festival here, a sideshow to the Soundwave cancellation/casserole of nonsense.  Was pretty underwhelming - was still awesome to see the Daves in real life tho having spent the best part of my early teens absolutely fanboy'd out over Megadeth.