Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 353963 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1750 on: November 26, 2014, 10:04:25 AM »
Man Mustaine is on fire! They both quit within week of each other?!
Broderick was the only Megadeth guitarist I liked since Friedman left, he was the only one who felt like he fit the mood and the sound right.
Never cared for Drover much, Portnoy would make a great replacement for a few month before he and Mustaine break each others noses.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1751 on: November 26, 2014, 10:12:44 AM »
Honestly, I'm very curious to hear/read what Dave Mustaine has to say about this situation.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1752 on: November 26, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »
So Mustaine lost half of his band AGAIN.
After the fantastic Endgame, the last two albums have been sub par.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1753 on: November 26, 2014, 10:37:23 AM »
Do people join Megadeth and then remember later "oh crap, I report to Dave Mustaine"?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1754 on: November 26, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
Um...apparently, yes.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #1755 on: November 26, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »
So Mustaine lost half of his band AGAIN.
After the fantastic Endgame, the last two albums have been sub par.

I like the last two albums a lot more than Endgame.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1756 on: November 26, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »
Ignore me I'm an idiot.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1757 on: November 26, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
Other than liking a handful of older Megadeth songs, I'm really not into the band all that much, but this even caught my eye on Ultimate Guitar. That is shit is NUTS! Along with all the other debacles this guy has gotten himself into.

I swear, some of these big-name rock band leads are more insane than the reality television peeps. 'Keepin' Up With The Mustaines'. Wonder what'll happen next!? Tune in next week! (I toats will...no really, I'm interested in seeing who the next victim is and how long they'll last)

But I'll always have a cheesy soft spot in my heart for Angry Again, Trust, Peace Sells, Hanger 18, and A Tout Le Monde. That's all the songs I like though, quite literally. Still good stuff though, and if they keep this up this'll be my guilty pleasure.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1758 on: November 26, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »
The studio version of Angry Again is SUCH a beast.  One of my all-time favorite Megadeth tunes.  But for some reason, it is lousy live.  I have never heard a good version of it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1759 on: November 26, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »
Agreed, I've thought that same thing before; and it's odd because it sounds like it'd be a real crowd-pleaser and come off as a very powerful, emotional song live. But yeah most are pretty bland and kinda just meh.

Angry Again and Trust are probably my two favorite tunes by the dudes.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

« Reply #1760 on: November 26, 2014, 11:50:17 AM »
I never understood the love for Endgame. I mean, maybe if you're a real major Thrash fan, I guess I get it, it was all balls and chunk full speed ahead, but I'm not really a fan of that. I have never heard a Slayer song that I even like. I'm much more partial to Megadeth's more melody driven slassic Heavy Metal sound on albums like Cryptic Writings and Countdown to Extinction. I used to think that maybe I just don't get what Megadeth is "about" because I haven't heard much of their catalog. But once I started to explore it, I found that none of their original few albums were too overburdened with being overly heavy or thrashy, they've all had a bit of that melodic edge to them. The energy and thrash appeal came in the form of very visceral riffs, and distortion that sounded like the engine of a speeding car, which is what I love about Megadeth in general. But most of their albums have had a lot of variety in sound, and the different songs were very memorable. I feel like Endgame was all very similar in sound throughout, apart from maybe 3 or 4 songs. I could never get into it.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1761 on: November 26, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
I'm really curious about this. Megadeth is a really well-paying gig, even if you are just a hired gun like those two were.

Drover had been complaining a lot in interviews about how he wanted the band to write heavier tunes (I think he wrote the song headcrusher on Endgame?). Maybe he and Broderick got tired of Dave's shit? I don't know.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1762 on: November 26, 2014, 01:44:03 PM »
I have a poster I got at Mayhem Fest 2011 signed by Chris and Shawn. Maybe I can get a little something for that in a few years?  :lol

I hope Dave doesn't call it quits after this. SuperDisaster would be a horrible Swan Song. I think one more album maybe with 2 former members would be great.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: November 27, 2014, 04:13:31 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1766 on: November 27, 2014, 06:32:34 AM »
I never understood the love for Endgame. I mean, maybe if you're a real major Thrash fan, I guess I get it, it was all balls and chunk full speed ahead, but I'm not really a fan of that. I have never heard a Slayer song that I even like. I'm much more partial to Megadeth's more melody driven slassic Heavy Metal sound on albums like Cryptic Writings and Countdown to Extinction. I used to think that maybe I just don't get what Megadeth is "about" because I haven't heard much of their catalog. But once I started to explore it, I found that none of their original few albums were too overburdened with being overly heavy or thrashy, they've all had a bit of that melodic edge to them. The energy and thrash appeal came in the form of very visceral riffs, and distortion that sounded like the engine of a speeding car, which is what I love about Megadeth in general. But most of their albums have had a lot of variety in sound, and the different songs were very memorable. I feel like Endgame was all very similar in sound throughout, apart from maybe 3 or 4 songs. I could never get into it.

Some good observations here, except for THE FIRST SENTENCE!

Seriously, Megadeth has quietly put together a fantastic discography, with quite a bit of variety. But for me, there are still inconstencies, and the last two albums are among them.

Endgame stands right up there with their best work. It's a consistent and focussed album. The song quality is much higher with all parts meshing together. It's a Top 3 Megadeth album for me.

Oh, and I'd be all over Lombardo joining!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #1767 on: November 27, 2014, 07:28:16 AM »
I dunno, personally, I loved the last 2 albums. Super Collider almost had a bit of a Motorhead-like vibe to it, which I think was partially because of Mustaine's vocals on it. But the riffs were all memorable and it just had a solid Heavy Metal sound to it. It wasn't very thrashy, but like I said, that's not why I like Megadeth anyway.
And 13 I thought was absolutely amazing. Of course, it almost felt like a compilation album, with songs they've done for video games, and old ideas finally being developed. But that's what I like about it, there's a lot of variety there. It's just satisfying to listen to.
But hey, Megadeth is the one band that actually has just enough variety to split the fans a little bit, so that's probably not a bad thing. It's just a shame that people hate on the last 2 albums so much.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1768 on: November 27, 2014, 10:39:23 AM »
If I had to pick my favorite record of the last four, it would easily be Super collider. I thought it was refreshing after the extremely mediocre Thirteen, however it still wasn't enough to bring back the Megadeth fanatic from about five years ago. I'm not a huge fan of United abominations and Endgame - the latter did grow on me slightly, but I still don't go crazy about it like some fans.

I'm not too concerned about the change in line up, Megadeth has always been switching band members. Whoever plays in the band, there will always be an album with some good or at least listenable tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1769 on: November 27, 2014, 12:59:07 PM »
Endgame IMO is one of Megadeth's weakest.  It does absolutely nothing for me.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1770 on: November 27, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »
Endgame is one of the only Megadeth albums I like as a whole.

Super Collider = Hilariously bad, just awful
Thirteen = pretty bad, cool cover though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1771 on: November 27, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »
Thirteen is awful too.  SC IMO was pretty good.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1772 on: November 27, 2014, 01:29:08 PM »
I gave Super Collider a couple of listens. Not awful, but...delightfully mediocre I would say.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1773 on: November 27, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »

SC IMO was pretty good.

Bosk, Wolfking's account has been hacked!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: November 27, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dave-lombardo-reportedly-open-to-replacing-shawn-drover-in-megadeth/

Dave Lombardo wants in.

Then they'll just need to get a lead guitarist called Dave to be an all Dave band !

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: November 27, 2014, 06:41:43 PM »
Megadave.

I'd still love to see Dave do one more album with a refreshed Marty Friedman before he calls it a day.  That's about the only thing that'll really get me interested.   I tend to just stick to the early stuff up until RIP/Symphony.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: November 27, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »

SC IMO was pretty good.

Bosk, Wolfking's account has been hacked!

lol.  Everyone knows my opinions on albums are a bit off.  Endgame just did nothing for me, and I tried many times.  Maybe I will try again.

« Reply #1777 on: November 27, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »
lol.  Everyone knows my opinions on albums are a bit off.  Endgame just did nothing for me, and I tried many times.  Maybe I will try again.

By a bit off, you mean the most right in this case?  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: November 27, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »

By a bit off, you mean the most right in this case?  :tup

Ah.....sure man.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1779 on: November 28, 2014, 04:29:51 AM »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1780 on: November 28, 2014, 05:24:23 AM »
That's ok with me.  Pitrelli was really the last guitarist I enjoyed seeing in Megadeth.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: November 28, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »
That's ok with me.  Pitrelli was really the last guitarist I enjoyed seeing in Megadeth.

Big Glen fan here, but Pitrelli is indeed amazing.  Rude Awakening is still my fav Deth DVD.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1782 on: November 28, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »

Big Glen fan here, but Pitrelli is indeed amazing.  Rude Awakening is still my fav Deth DVD.

+1 on Rude Awakening.  When I first bought the CD it was the only thing I listened to for like 3 months straight. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1783 on: November 28, 2014, 04:41:19 PM »
Honestly, I've never given a second thought about who the second guitarist is in Megadeth. In all the performances with Broderick, I thought he fit in great.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1784 on: November 28, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »
Broderick was just a little step under Friedman for me. Dude was insanely good and criminally under-utilized after Endgame.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH