Author Topic: Practice Routines?  (Read 5136 times)

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Practice Routines?
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:11:39 PM »
Post'em!

just curious how long and what people practice every day on various instruments.

what it all boils down too is what i can do every day with out a drum kit that can help me keep my chops up. other then the standard quater, 8ths and 16ths straight on hands and legs with a metronome

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Practice Routines?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_vai/10-hour_guitar_workout_tab.htm

Steve Vai's 10 hour workout.  My favorite is the pattern in figure 2.  All four fingers, one consecutive fret each, 4 notes to a string.  The catch is that each group of 4 starts on a different finger.  When you get to the high E, it shifts up one fret.  You'll see how it works in the example.  Pay attention at the fret shift, as it can be a hair tricky.  Otherwise, a good warm up and fun to work up to a good speed.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
Hahaha.  Really a good bit to get your fingers moving that isn't the same "play all your major scales" routine.

Offline Aadish

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »
I like to practice guitar like this:

2 hours of alternate picking
2 hours of sweep pikcing
1 hour of chords and voicings
1 hour of different scales and arpeggios

And some additional time to learn new songs and stuff.

Takes some time everyday.. But I love it.  :)

And damn! I forgot to mention that I take 10 min break every 30 min of practice. It is really really REALLY fucking important to take breakes! Injuries = bitch.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
I use a practice log that I made as a spreadsheet.  It's weekly and has different categories on the left, such as:  technique, songs, pieces, ear training, songwriting, recording/ videotaping, bands/ rehearsals.  I'm still considering adding some more categories, but those are the main ones.  On the right of the log, I have two categories:  "goals" and "weekly summary."

In the goals category, I decide a goal for each of the categories on the left.  For example, if I want to get my 16th notes up to 160 bpm, I'll type that in the goals category for technique and, if I follow along the screen from left to right, I can see what I did each day during the week (or didn't do) that helped me to achieve that goal.  If I want to learn a new Classical piece, I'll type the name of the piece in the "goal" box for "pieces" and, every day I work on that piece, I'll type it in and I can see, from left to right, how much I actually worked on that piece. 

At the end of the week, in the weekly summary box, I'll go through each "goal" and determine if I actually achieved the goal.  If I didn't reach the goal, but didn't spend much time on it, I'll be really hard on myself with sarcastic comments.  If I KNOW I worked hard and STILL didn't reach the goal, I'll encourage myself with, "almost!" and things like that.  For each goal (specifically the technical stuff and learning tunes/ pieces), I have a metronome marking in the goal category that I'm trying to reach and for each day I can see the progress that I have made in reaching the target tempo. 

If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet, let me know.  It's really cool because you can see everything really clearly.  If you have worked hard, you'll SEE it.  If you didn't, well, you'll SEE it.  LOL

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »
BUMP !

UPDATE: im back home in NJ with my drum kit forever... and i really suck ive been drumming on a pillow when im not on my kit trying to build up chops again. feet are still absolutly horrendous.

halp?

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:59:56 AM »
Honestly I stopped trying to do routines for a long time now. I still do some exercises here and there when I feel the necessity, but basically I just get out the guitar and jam for hours, and that's been working for me.  :)

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 06:30:14 AM »

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:38:26 AM »
Honestly I stopped trying to do routines for a long time now. I still do some exercises here and there when I feel the necessity, but basically I just get out the guitar and jam for hours, and that's been working for me.  :)

This. I'm not really interested in ever being able to play DT style difficulty songs, the most technical I really want to get it Metallica, Tool and some Slash solos. I'm okay at the technical stuff but it doesn't really interest me.

My guitar routine is basically pick up electric, put on clean, do a 10 minute fingerpicking funk intro to John Mayer's Vultures, and then jam on that for hours, or try and segueway SRV's Lenny into as many songs in E Major I can think of. It's more fun that way imo.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 12:07:34 PM »
I generally run through a particular setlist, often a DT one, on drums.

This is what I'll be playing today:

Lines in the Sand
Burning My Soul
Voices
Under a Glass Moon
Hollow Years
Puppies on Acid
Innocence
Just Let Me Breathe
Peruvian Skies
Pull Me Under
Scarred
The Darkest of Winters
Ytse Jam
New Millennium
The Crimson Sunset
Metropolis
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »
i do something along the lines of that but my feet are horrendously slow. so i take a lot of song out with doublebass. i just need to find a way to build up speed with my feet.

ive been playing a lot of simpler stuff to practice fills and what not too.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »
i do something along the lines of that but my feet are horrendously slow. so i take a lot of song out with doublebass. i just need to find a way to build up speed with my feet.

Yeah, double bass takes a lot of time.
I'm no master, but after 2 years of doing double bass, I'm pretty competent in most foot patterns.
Just keep practicing over and over again.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 01:08:09 PM »

I'm no master, but after 2 years of doing double bass, I'm pretty competent in most foot patterns.
This, pretty much exactly. I have about one and a half years of double bass and I'm good with most patterns (although due to house conditions I haven't played my own kit in two months... been goin' to friend's houses to play.

Offline Isolde

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »
i play the piano and something that works for me is Hanons excersises.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virtuoso_Pianist_in_60_Exercises

no i don't do it as fast as that audio clip but even just doing the excersise gets your fingers moving and really builds muscle and agility

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »

do you ever do like any kind of excersizes? like doubles on each foot? or just jam to songs and build it up that way?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »
I've been bad about practicing lately. I haven't had much reason to practice lately (except for the occasional bass solo at church or playing keyboards). I usually just warm up for 10 minutes on stage using some of Petrucci's exercises, but on the bass. Works well for me for now.

When I get my own instruments fixed up (my guitar AND bass need new strings :( ), I'm going to work through Petrucci Wild Stringdom book again. It works wonders even for acoustic and bass guitar.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 04:27:08 PM »

do you ever do like any kind of excersizes? like doubles on each foot? or just jam to songs and build it up that way?
Though you weren't asking me, to get to be able to play 16th notes consistently at old-Metallica speed, I used to power through "Dyers Eve", struggling, trying to keep up, pushing myself on, everyday, and after a month, I could do it. Maybe a bit painful and not the best way, but that's how I got fast.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »

Both. I do foot patterns both on and off the drums.
I'm pretty OCD, and am constantly fidgeting, so I make use of that and practice foot patterns when I'm sitting down pretty much anywhere.
Also, playing Dream Theater is pretty helpful to get double-bass patterns down. Songs like Under a Glass Moon, Pull Me Under, and Voices, while not overly fast or difficult are good places to start because they're still somewhat tricky, yet quite doable.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 12:31:14 AM »
i play the piano and something that works for me is Hanons excersises.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virtuoso_Pianist_in_60_Exercises

no i don't do it as fast as that audio clip but even just doing the excersise gets your fingers moving and really builds muscle and agility

You really shouldn't play Hanon exercises. Not even for warming up. The exercises are a complete waste of time. It's explained in further detail here:
https://www.pianofundamentals.com/book/en/1.III.7.8

Offline Isolde

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »

You really shouldn't play Hanon exercises. Not even for warming up. The exercises are a complete waste of time. It's explained in further detail here:

okay. one thing that article said is totally ridiculous. Hanons excersize the weak fingers that you may have - you just need to figure what they are and do the excersizes the work those fingers. and point number 3 in that article is just utterly ridiculous 'Hanons allow NO time for resting your tired fingers which cause stress and injury' IF you feel that much pain STOP - take a break. I've played piano for 6 years now and hanons are great for strengthening your fingers

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »

okay. one thing that article said is totally ridiculous. Hanons excersize the weak fingers that you may have - you just need to figure what they are and do the excersizes the work those fingers. and point number 3 in that article is just utterly ridiculous 'Hanons allow NO time for resting your tired fingers which cause stress and injury' IF you feel that much pain STOP - take a break. I've played piano for 6 years now and hanons are great for strengthening your fingers
Agreed. The Hanon exercises are fine. Just know what they're for and how to use them.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »
I usually grab my bass and play Metropolis...then I'm warmed up...then some scales, some other Zeppelin tunes or something to work on blues improv, some sabbath..I dunno..some time to just solo and go with the flow

Rush too..recently I was working on remembering the little solo fast bits in La Villa Strangiato!

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 11:19:07 AM »
I've been bad about practicing lately. I haven't had much reason to practice lately (except for the occasional bass solo at church or playing keyboards). I usually just warm up for 10 minutes on stage using some of Petrucci's exercises, but on the bass. Works well for me for now.

When I get my own instruments fixed up (my guitar AND bass need new strings :( ), I'm going to work through Petrucci Wild Stringdom book again. It works wonders even for acoustic and bass guitar.

Wild Stringdom is an awesome awesome book. I usually focus on each section in there for an hour or so. I still can't play any of the DT solos he tabs out in it, but the book definitely helps out ALOT with technique, speed, chords and it's also inspiring to me.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »
To each their own, but I've never seen much value in practice routines. I find that trying to learn something (original or cover song) is practice enough.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Manolito Mystiq

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 09:15:20 AM »
@SnakeEyes: I'm also interested in your sheet.

Mano

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 08:34:33 AM »
I do not really do anything special...just learn/play along to songs I like for example, Neal morse, Dream Theater, Steve vai, transatlantic, and so and so!

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 02:51:28 AM »

Wild Stringdom is an awesome awesome book. I usually focus on each section in there for an hour or so. I still can't play any of the DT solos he tabs out in it, but the book definitely helps out ALOT with technique, speed, chords and it's also inspiring to me.

Thanks, for the example.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 06:24:22 AM »
Yeah, I just play songs until my fingers fall off. Then I carry on for another half hour before crying 'cause I can't press the off switch on the amp.

Self-taught on both of my instruments... been playing bass for - fuck, seven years?! - now, and I've learnt my way around the fretboard by stubbornly bashing my head against Erotomania until it worked. Been teaching myself piano for just over a year, and again, I've found that forcing myself to learn from sheet music (even though I can't read the stuff for the life of me) has helped me familiarise myself with all the chords veeeeery quickly.

Does mean that I tend to linger around chord progressions and scales that I'm already familiar with from other songs, but I think I'm a pretty convincing pianist seeing as I've only been playing the bugger for fifteen months or so. Just keep bashing it till something comes out.

Offline jsem

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »
Usually several hours a day. I try to get as much as possible. A lot of the time I fiddle around, that's how I come up with good stuff...

On the sax, if I want something difficult I'll pick out a tune from the realbook and try to play without having heard the tune, just sheet. Then I listen to it and try to play again. Charlie Parker tunes are perfect for dexterity and speed.

Once I get summer break though, I'm going to be putting like 2-3hrs a day practicing scales so I become 100% fluent in ALL keys. This goes for my piano playing as well. On the guitar though, it's just the same shapes - so I just have to practice the different shapes and then I can transfer them to all keys.

I should be more structured in my practicing though. Especially since I want to build a high register for sax, I'm going to have to practice overtones and stuff a LOT.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »
I really don't practice on my own all too often, though I have been picking it up again more recently. I'm so busy learning tunes for gigs, recitals, and various other stuff at my school that I get plenty of time playing my instrument every day. When I get home I just like to relax and watch a movie.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.