Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 217478 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1750 on: February 09, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1751 on: February 09, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
Batman and Robin has a 3.7 score at IMDB lol

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118688/

:facepalm:

WTF?

I mean, if nothing else, Batman and Robin has given the Internet a ton of memes to work with over the years. :lol Plus I'd imagine it's a great film for drinking games with friends or to riff on while watching it.

It's a horrible movie, absolutely, but I can see why it might have a couple of points higher than a 0 or 1.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1752 on: February 09, 2017, 09:45:55 AM »

Cillian Murphy is awesome, but Bruce Wayne/Batman he is not.

I also never even realized Tom Hardy was Shinzon.

Agreed on Cillian Murphy. He's a hell of an actor. Doesn't get as many roles so I hear because he doesn't live in Los Angeles. My wife is big on following actors/actresses, and explained that one to me. But he's REALLY good. But agreed, he was NOT a good Bruce Wayne/Batman. lol. I also never realized Tom Hardy was Shinzon either until a few months ago. I put on Nemesis just to confirm it for myself.  :lol

Going back to the gist of the thread from 2015 before it was resurrected, I have the live action films featuring Batman in this order;

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman (1989)
Batman Forever
Batman Returns
Batman (the 60s movie)
Batman v. Superman
Batman & Robin

For me, Nolan delivered the Batman story on film that I always wanted to see. A more realistic, serious take on the character, and an intelligent story. The only casting decision I didn't like was Katie Holmes, and he fixed that with The Dark Knight.

I really liked how Nolan ended The Dark Knight Rises. He left it so open to interpretation, that you can go anywhere with it. The key is, if you understand the Batman mythos, Bruce and Selina never work out, so Nolan sets the stage for a return...particularly since it was mentioned by Fox in the film "in time, we can prove fraud," which means Bruce will eventually get all his money and shares back.

I'm also a huge fan of Robin, and one of those folks that believe his addition is vital to the mental stability of Bruce Wayne/Batman. So the fact Nolan included Blake, and then ended with him finding the Bat Cave, leaves it very open to the fact that "Robin" is born, or Nightwing is born. And also (although I personally don't find it likely, but it IS an option) Blake follows in the footsteps and becomes Batman. I don't think the latter makes much sense, however. Because there was no point in Nolan revealing Blake's real first name as Robin, had he planned on Blake becoming Batman. Batman, with some minor deviations in the comics, IS Bruce Wayne.

But the beauty is that you can take it anywhere. Such a great filmmaker, and the best ever Batman films. For me personally, I don't think they'll ever be topped.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1753 on: February 09, 2017, 09:48:33 AM »
For me - Inception was Chris Nolan's masterpiece and he hasn't lived up to it since.

Interstellar was quite drab and had a meh conclusion. Plus it was REALLY missing Wally Pfister's warm palettes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1754 on: February 09, 2017, 09:55:58 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the Nolan Batman films.  I think he did an excellent job, and but for the sheer volume and integration over such a vast created universe, am tempted to put them ahead of the Marvel universe films.  For reasons that have already been discussed, the final film fell just a little flat for me because I feel it pushed the boundaries of realism just a tad too far and made it too hard to suspend belief.  But as a whole, he really did a fantastic job.

I'm also a huge fan of Robin, and one of those folks that believe his addition is vital to the mental stability of Bruce Wayne/Batman. So the fact Nolan included Blake, and then ended with him finding the Bat Cave, leaves it very open to the fact that "Robin" is born, or Nightwing is born. And also (although I personally don't find it likely, but it IS an option) Blake follows in the footsteps and becomes Batman. I don't think the latter makes much sense, however. Because there was no point in Nolan revealing Blake's real first name as Robin, had he planned on Blake becoming Batman. Batman, with some minor deviations in the comics, IS Bruce Wayne.

But the beauty is that you can take it anywhere. Such a great filmmaker, and the best ever Batman films. For me personally, I don't think they'll ever be topped.
All true.  But as far as the possibility of him becoming Batman, I don't write it off.  I think Nolan intentionally left it vague and threw out enough nuggets for fans to realistically take it any direction they want, including him becoming Batman, despite the Robin name reveal.  I haven't seen anything indicating that Nolan was affirmatively trying to convey any particular one of those possibilities or that he had any one specifically in mind, and I personally feel like he intentionally left all possibilities open for speculation (although there is certainly more meat available to argue some over others).  But, hey, the fact that we can even credibly have the debate means he did a good job of executing on his intent to leave it open ended, right?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: February 09, 2017, 10:00:07 AM »
Right.

But Dom was definitely AWAKE at the end of Inception.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1756 on: February 09, 2017, 10:12:43 AM »
I saw Inception in the theater, and I liked it, but I've never had any desire to watch it again. And that's how I feel about most Nolan movies, actually. They're just so damn long.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1757 on: February 09, 2017, 10:24:11 AM »
I've never been a fan of Robin.  That whole dynamic never made sense to me.  I'm glad that Nolan left that out of the films (except for, you know).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1758 on: February 09, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
I saw Inception in the theater, and I liked it, but I've never had any desire to watch it again. And that's how I feel about most Nolan movies, actually. They're just so damn long.

I loved everything up til and including TDKR. Interstellar was a letdown. It was good up until Act III then it fell apart.

And I have literally ZERO interest in Dunkirk. I hate war movies AND the Cinematographer is bland as fuck. Interstellar ? Grey on grey.

You could tell Inception was the movie he always wanted to make as it was damn near perfect ( at least imo )

And a lot of his other films have script issues.

He says he is aware of the plot holes in his movies and that it's more about the experience of the movie rather than all the individual moments.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1759 on: February 09, 2017, 11:15:15 AM »
My only complaint about Inception is that, given its nature, it really lacks a huge imagination which would have made it better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: February 09, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »
My only complaint about Inception is that, given its nature, it really lacks a huge imagination which would have made it better.

Yeah Limbo wasn't what I wanted given their explanation of pure randomness and lack of any physics.

I was expecting some crazy fucked up weird dimension but it was a crumbling city on a beach.

WHAT IS THIS A HOLODECK EPISODE ?!?!?!

:lol reminds me of Star Trek Voyager S1. The holodeck can make anything you could possibly imagine.

Lets go to a 40's bar and play pool !!!

EVERY GOD DAMNED WEEK

Online Adami

« Reply #1761 on: February 09, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
Not even limbo, the rest of it. The most creative it got was when they were explaining dreams. The dreams themselves were pretty mundane.

A bunch of people firing guns? That's it?

"Dream bigger" - pulls out a slightly bigger gun. PULL OUT A DAMN DRAGON.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: February 09, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
They might have explained it as not wanting their subject to know he was in a  dream.

Fisher was supposed to think he was dreaming in the next level down.

If he'd pulled out a dragon there and then - Fisher's sub conscious would be all over them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1763 on: February 09, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
I have never seen Inception.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: February 09, 2017, 12:18:58 PM »
< patronising gif instead of witty reply >

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1765 on: February 09, 2017, 12:19:13 PM »
It's pretty good.  You should see it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: February 09, 2017, 12:20:07 PM »
Yeah it's like James Bond meets The Matrix...But better than that sounds :lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1767 on: February 09, 2017, 12:21:37 PM »

IMO, it's Nolan's finest film by far, and the best film of the 21st century (so far)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1768 on: February 09, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »
Best film since 2000 ?

I'd have to think about that. It's certainly up there. It definitely has one of the best film scores i've ever heard. It's now one of my faves along with Back To The Future and The Wrath of Khan.

Dream is Collapsing is one of the best pieces of music ever.  Full stop.

Mombasa is also a great piece.

Edit : I also found it funny that some purists were whinging that the Inception score has synth instruments :lol

It came out in like 2010. We have more than just violins now.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1769 on: February 09, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
I can't find a plot hole in it, it's so well written. A true cinematic masterpiece.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1770 on: February 09, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »
I know.  For some reason, it just hasn't happened.  Missed it in theaters.  And seeing movies after the fact in this day and age is a lot more complicated than it used to be.  Since traditional video rental stores no longer exist, if it isn't a new release such that Redbox has it, and it isn't available for streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime, it's cumbersome to find a reasonably-priced means of watching movies.  I'm sure I will see it eventually.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1771 on: February 09, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »
I can't find a plot hole in it, it's so well written. A true cinematic masterpiece.

Literally my 1 "hmmm" with the film is that they never explain how they descend dream states once in the first dream. They use the machine "in the dream" but that would not do anything

as it doesn't even exist. Only thing I can think of is that - because they are all sharing the dream - once they *decide* to descend further - the real machine in the real world puts out a higher dosage

by monitoring their brain patterns. But it's sci fi so it just does :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: February 09, 2017, 12:28:35 PM »
I'm sure I will see it eventually.

You could probably get a dirt cheap second hand DVD on amazon or ebay. And just pay postage.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1773 on: February 09, 2017, 12:32:18 PM »
I know.  For some reason, it just hasn't happened.  Missed it in theaters.  And seeing movies after the fact in this day and age is a lot more complicated than it used to be.  Since traditional video rental stores no longer exist, if it isn't a new release such that Redbox has it, and it isn't available for streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime, it's cumbersome to find a reasonably-priced means of watching movies.  I'm sure I will see it eventually.
I get it.  Happens quite a bit to me.

FWIW, I'm almost positive it's available for rent on Amazon for 3 bucks or so.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1774 on: February 09, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »
They might have explained it as not wanting their subject to know he was in a  dream.

Fisher was supposed to think he was dreaming in the next level down.

If he'd pulled out a dragon there and then - Fisher's sub conscious would be all over them.
Well yeah, exactly. That was the entire plot of the film!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #1775 on: February 09, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »
They were in the middle of a huge fight, how subtle were they hoping to be?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1776 on: February 09, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »
Nolans best was Memento. Pure brilliance in writing and directing

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1777 on: February 09, 2017, 10:25:12 PM »
for a fun time. get the dvd or blu ray. watch it regular. then there is an option to watch it in chronological time frame. but nothing beats the original way Nolan did it

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1778 on: February 10, 2017, 02:22:54 AM »
I'd say Nolan's best was The Prestige. One of my favourite movies that I watched in the last five years - just front-to-back brilliant.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1779 on: February 10, 2017, 02:24:20 AM »
I hope Nolan hasn't ditched sci fi to go and chase Oscars.

Oh a gritty war movie. Greeeat. :yawn:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1780 on: February 10, 2017, 06:42:06 AM »
I'm incredibly excited for Dunkirk. It's something new from him and interested to see what he does with it. And I doubt he's chasing oscars, I think it's safe to say by now that Nolan is just going to make whatever movie he wants.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1781 on: February 10, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »

This is like saying you don't want Jim Carrey to act in a serious role.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1782 on: February 10, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »
I'm incredibly excited for Dunkirk. It's something new from him and interested to see what he does with it.
Same here.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: February 10, 2017, 12:08:12 PM »

This is like saying you don't want Jim Carrey to act in a serious role.

Nope.

I can't bear war films. Doesn't matter who's in it or who directed it. I could not care less.

And I watched the Dunkirk trailer. It looks as boring as fuck.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1784 on: February 10, 2017, 12:10:11 PM »
I can't bear war films. Doesn't matter who's in it or who directed it. I could not care less.

That is so un-American.