Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 218297 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1680 on: September 06, 2012, 08:28:28 AM »
Ugh. Joe Levitt was on some stupid american talk show and the host was all like

" Derp - can't wait for the Robin movie which is obviously happening since the end of TDKR set it up..."

:facepalm: Just.........*sigh*......

1. NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS A SEQUEL FFS

2.TDKR DIDN'T SET IT UP - YOU MISSED THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE ENDING.

3.THE MOST OBVIOUS - HE'D BE BATMAN NOT ROBIN .

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1681 on: September 06, 2012, 08:30:30 AM »
Ugh. Joe Levitt was on some stupid american talk show and the host was all like

" Derp - can't wait for the Robin movie which is obviously happening since the end of TDKR set it up..."

:facepalm: Just.........*sigh*......

1. NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS A SEQUEL FFS

2.TDKR DIDN'T SET IT UP - YOU MISSED THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE ENDING.

3.THE MOST OBVIOUS - HE'D BE BATMAN NOT ROBIN .

Yeah I agree, they should just leave it as it is... but you know they won't because everything is about capitalizing on every possible chance to make money and you know PLENTY of people would go see it too  :facepalm:

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1682 on: September 06, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »
Chris Nolan is obviously done with the series, so if there is going to be another Batman movie (before the Justice League flick), I sincerely doubt it will have anything to do with Nolan's continuity.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1683 on: September 06, 2012, 08:42:37 AM »
No. But Warners have already confirmed they're "rebooting" Batman again.

I really cannot stand that term "rebooting".

It's a remake. Call it a remake.

It's like giving everything 21st century terminology maks it sound "cool".

Like - It's as if everytime FOX cancels a show - they're not "cancelling" it - they're " Force Quitting " it or " Uninstalling " it.

It's a remake or a sequel as far as i'm concerned. The word Reboot has to stop.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1684 on: September 06, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »
Batman Begins is not a remake of Batman '89, which was not a remake of Batman: The Movie. They're called reboots because they relaunch an established franchise. There's a fairly large difference.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1685 on: September 06, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
I read on batman-news.com that Justice League is coming out in 2015 and then they're rebooting the batman franchise after that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1686 on: September 06, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »
I have no idea how to react to that.  I hate reboots just in general.  But even more, I hate reboots that are so soon.  And a reboot makes no sense whatsoever when a series is so consistently good from start to finish as Nolan's.  It just makes no sense whatsoever and leaves a bad taste in my mouth that they are even doing it.  But on the other hand, it's Batman, so I'll see it regardless.  I'm so confused...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1687 on: September 06, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
I have no idea how to react to that.  I hate reboots just in general.  But even more, I hate reboots that are so soon.  And a reboot makes no sense whatsoever when a series is so consistently good from start to finish as Nolan's.  It just makes no sense whatsoever and leaves a bad taste in my mouth that they are even doing it.  But on the other hand, it's Batman, so I'll see it regardless.  I'm so confused...

Agreed. They should wait at least 6 or 7 years before they reboot, to give a good buffer zone and some respect to the Nolan trilogy.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1688 on: September 06, 2012, 12:40:39 PM »
Chris Nolan is obviously done with the series, so if there is going to be another Batman movie (before the Justice League flick), I sincerely doubt it will have anything to do with Nolan's continuity.

Don't remember where I heard it, but I believe it's been said that if Nolan won't do it, they're handing it over to some other director.

Nothing is sacred.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1689 on: September 06, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
I really can't wait for them to make a Robin movie. That'd be great.

It will be more of a short, really.  Robin cracks down on crime until the mob realizes he's using his own name, and then he dies when they firebomb his apartment.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1690 on: September 06, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »

Well, it's really no mystery why they're doing the reboot this time around, what with the new Cinematic Universe, if you don't mind my using those words, that they're going to be building around the Justice League.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1691 on: September 06, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »
No. But Warners have already confirmed they're "rebooting" Batman again.

I really cannot stand that term "rebooting".

It's a remake. Call it a remake.

It's like giving everything 21st century terminology maks it sound "cool".

Like - It's as if everytime FOX cancels a show - they're not "cancelling" it - they're " Force Quitting " it or " Uninstalling " it.

It's a remake or a sequel as far as i'm concerned. The word Reboot has to stop.
Except there's differences between what a reboot and a remake are.

Maybe instead of reboot studios should use "re-interpretation"  but that doesn't roll off the tongue that easy.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1692 on: September 06, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »

The problem with doing it so soon is that it can't be creative.

The Nolan Batman movies are a direct reaction to the current state of American life and American civilization.

How are you going to make another Batman series so soon after the last one that also comments on post 9/11 and post financial crash society?  I don't really think it can be done.  If they waited a decade or two, society would change and provide a new cultural zeitgeist for Batman to draw on.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: September 06, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »
Batman Begins is not a remake of Batman '89, which was not a remake of Batman: The Movie. They're called reboots because they relaunch an established franchise. There's a fairly large difference.

it's just a shitty phrase.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1694 on: September 06, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »

The problem with doing it so soon is that it can't be creative.

The Nolan Batman movies are a direct reaction to the current state of American life and American civilization.

How are you going to make another Batman series so soon after the last one that also comments on post 9/11 and post financial crash society?  I don't really think it can be done.  If they waited a decade or two, society would change and provide a new cultural zeitgeist for Batman to draw on.

Exactly.  But that's only one of many reasons to hate the idea.  I mean, I even hated the idea of a Hulk reboot, despite the fact that (1) the reboot was WAY better and (2) it was probably necessary if they wanted Hulk in the Avengers.  Intellectually, I can rationalize those two things and say, "yes, a Hulk reboot was necessary."  But viscerally, I still hate it that they did one. 

Footnote to the Hulk discussion:  However, they saved it by having the reboot not be an origins story.  Although there are some inconsistencies between the two stories, they aren't really glaring, and I find that I can ignore them and pretend the reboot was actually a sequel.  It kinda works.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1695 on: September 06, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »
I have no theoretical problem with reboots coming out quickly after the last franchise.  It's totally dependent on the quality of the previous movie.

If the previous movie is good, creating a reboot soon after creates two problems:

- It devalues the previous good movie.  "Sorry guys, that epic motion picture you just saw doesn't actually mean anything.  We unexpectedly pinched out a new sequel!!!!!"  Spiderman 3 isn't necessarily a good movie, but consider how unimportant it feels now that The Amazing Spiderman has been released.

- It devalues the new movie.  Like I said in the above post, it's hard to come up with a new take on a character that's good without stepping on the older movie.  For example - The next place to take a Batman movie is probably to a more fantastical one.  You could never do Mr. Freeze, Clayface, or Killer Croc in the Nolan movies.  You wouldn't necessarily want to do a less adult Batman (because it would be dismissed by adults), but you want a universe less grounded in reality.  But if you do this now, how can it be anything but a reaction to the Nolan films?  Whereas if you wait some time, our conceptions of Batman and how we perceive content will be completely different, meaning it would be able to be truly original.

But whatever.  At least Nolan left Batman.  No matter what happens, his movies will be what they are.

If the movie is bad, then neither of these two things matter.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TL

« Reply #1696 on: September 07, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »
I'm glad that it passed the Billion mark. It deserves it.
This.

It's especially impressive considering that it didn't have expensive 3D ticket prices to boost its total.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: September 07, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »
I'm glad that it passed the Billion mark. It deserves it.
This.

It's especially impressive considering that it didn't have expensive 3D ticket prices to boost its total.

It did have expensive IMAX showings which boosted it, but not as big as 3D would have.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: September 07, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
Inception and TDKR kinda proved that you can have massive box office without 3D and without treating your audience like idiots.

*cough* Transformers *cough*

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1699 on: September 18, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Alright, this bitch will be released on blu ray/dvd/digital copy on December 3rd! Mark your calenders!  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: September 20, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »
Just browsing Hans Zimmer on Spotify.

Batman Begins soundtrack comes up.

Noticed that Tracks 4 - 9 Spell out Batman if you take the first letter of every word.

Probably old news but I only just found out. :P

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: September 20, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
I've had that soundtrack for years and haven't noticed that. Awesome!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: September 21, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
Ha . thats just me. I always look for things like that.

Especially if every track is one word.

I had an album once where the first letter of every track spelled out " Fuck Birket " .

It was a Shamen album and was directed to their manager at the time.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1703 on: September 21, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
Here's an Op-Ed piece I did for www.legionsofgotham.org (for you Bat-fans out there, it's one of the biggest and more respected Bat-sites on the Web)

Legions of Gotham Op-Ed: Christopher Nolan's Batman Universe Needs to Continue

The Dark Knight trilogy is too compelling of a world to let sit idle, even if Warner Brothers reboots the story and Batman on the silver screen.

By BRIAN HEATON

Director Christopher Nolan has been adamant that “The Dark Knight Rises” marks the end of his involvement with the Batman movie franchise. But after ending the trilogy with some big question marks, the Gotham envisioned by Nolan has to continue, even if it is relegated to officially licensed novels and comic adaptions.

From the revelation that John Blake is Robin and Bruce Wayne leaving him directions to the Bat Cave, to Bruce fixing the Batman signal for Commissioner Gordon on the roof of Gotham Police Department headquarters, Nolan set the stage for his story of Batman to live on. The question is, will it?

DC Comics and Warner Brothers seem hellbent on rebooting the franchise on the silver screen, even if that introduction to a new Batman character might not happen until the rumored Justice League film gets made. But while Nolan's gritty, dark depiction of Batman and Bruce Wayne was popular, I highly doubt any reboot of the character will be in the same vein.

Some may view that as a problem. But I see it as an opportunity for Warner Brothers and fans to have the best of both worlds. A continuation of Nolan's Gotham in novels and special graphic novels can give those who are loyal to a more realistic take on the Batman character a broader world to explore and enjoy. At the same time, a new feature film reboot will give Warner Brothers a chance to continue capitalizing on the Caped Crusader's immense popularity, without destroying the integrity of Nolan's vision.

The idea would also open up a fiction novel market for Batman that aside from a handful of books, has never been adequately explored. Tie-ins with specifically-written comics and even specialized online content could make such a move even more profitable.

Nolan's films have transcended audiences. The people going to see “Batman Begins,” “The Dark Knight” and “The Dark Knight Rises” weren't all Batman fans or superhero geeks. Batman was presented in such a realistic and compelling manner, people went to the theater to be entertained by a dramatic story. That needs to be recognized and capitalized on by DC Comics. The market for Batman isn't just run-of-the-mill comic book fans any longer.

In addition, the story is wide open for more adventures. There are a ton of loose ends that were never tied up in the trilogy. The Joker's whereabouts – very carefully avoided by Nolan in the final film – are unknown. All the mobsters and villains Batman put away are back on the streets and Gotham is inevitably going need its Dark Knight again once the city is rebuilt.

Some might argue that Batman intended John Blake to take over the mantle of the Bat, therefore bringing the story full circle. I disagree. It was clear to me that by revealing Blake's real name to be “Robin,” that Nolan intended that Batman wouldn't be replaced by Blake. Rather, Blake will be the Caped Crusader's understudy once he returns. No, Bruce doesn't want to be Batman forever. But any Bat-fan worth his or her salt knows the fling with Selina Kyle won't last.

Bruce Wayne being “dead,” could be spun into a big story about how the eccentric billionaire faked his death and how the money he lost was due to fraudulent transactions. After a period of time his fortune – minus the contents of Wayne Manor, the mansion and grounds -- might be restored. The story would fit the playboy persona of Bruce Wayne quite easily.

The Bat Cave still exists, Bruce could get his penthouse again, and as far as we know, the Bunker is also still active. Nolan's Batman world is very much alive and far from concluded.

I'm not suggesting that DC Comics and Warner Brothers re-use Nolan's Batman template for a new movie with new actors cast in familiar roles. Like any Batman fan, I expect them to reboot the entire franchise and to a degree, I embrace that. Getting a fresh take on the character is exciting.

But The Dark Knight trilogy was a cultural phenomenon that spanned Bat-fans and general movie-goers alike. It crossed boundaries and connected with people unlike any other superhero film ever made. If DC Comics is smart, they'll recognize that, take heed of other successful officially licensed continuations such as Star Wars and Star Trek and allow Nolan's vision of Batman and Gotham City to live on through the fans.

From the Bat-Computer at THE LEGION fan network at 8:36 AM
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1704 on: September 21, 2012, 04:26:28 PM »
:batomnom:

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #1705 on: September 21, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »
I read on batman-news.com that Justice League is coming out in 2015 and then they're rebooting the batman franchise after that.

To DC- Good luck getting a credible Aquaman flick in motion.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1706 on: September 21, 2012, 05:50:33 PM »
Or any other character that isn't name Superman or Batman.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1707 on: September 21, 2012, 05:52:57 PM »
Or any other character that isn't name Superman or Batman.

Aren't you forgetting about Green Lantern?

I wish I could forget too.  :-[

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1708 on: September 21, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »
Who?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: October 14, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
Why have I only just realised that two characters hanging off the back of a Hercules in flight is in The Dark Knight as well ? ! :-\

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1710 on: October 14, 2012, 11:19:54 AM »
Why have I only just realised that two characters hanging off the back of a Hercules in flight is in The Dark Knight as well ? ! :-\

Huh?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1711 on: October 14, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »

Huh?

The big plane.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: October 14, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »
Bane / Scientist in TDKR

Batman / Chinese guy in TDK

Both get attached to a Hercules and carried off.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1713 on: October 14, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »
Oooh interesting, I didn't make the connection.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1714 on: October 14, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »
Yeah i was just watching it online ( TDKR ) and was like.......hang on a sec ...  :biggrin: