Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 218684 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1575 on: August 06, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »
Alone with the amount of resources that Batman has at his disposal, it's pretty strange that no-one else made the connection.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1576 on: August 06, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
The one thing that always was a bit weird is how doesn't anyone else make that connection? This Batman character appears just as billionaire, infinitely loved by Gotham Bruce Wayne returns.

BB took a lot from Year One, they should've had some scene like when Gordon goes to question Wayne on the comic.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1577 on: August 06, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »
The one thing that always was a bit weird is how doesn't anyone else make that connection? This Batman character appears just as billionaire, infinitely loved by Gotham Bruce Wayne returns.

BB took a lot from Year One, they should've had some scene like when Gordon goes to question Wayne on the comic.

Well Robin made the connection, and so did that guy from TDK that Joker wanted to kill. Obviously Lucious figured it out too. I guess the reason no one else did was because Bruce did as much as possible to make his public personality as different from The Batman's as possible so that no one would even consider it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1578 on: August 06, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
It was incredibly easy for Lucius to make that connection though, with the things Bruce was doing.

But yeah, all those people had some kind of connection to Wayne, I was thinking more of the layman. Gordon is suppose to be a very good detective and he didn't have any idea until Bruce tells him on TDKR...
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Adami

« Reply #1579 on: August 06, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
It was incredibly easy for Lucius to make that connection though.

Well yea, God can figure most things out I assume.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1580 on: August 06, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »
Well, making thinking Batman is Bruce Wayne based solely on that is kind of a stretch to me. But yeah, I'd think it'd be semi-obvious to at least some people that Batman has a connection to Wayne Industries. Like, there's literally no one in Wayne Industries or in the government who's seen the tumbler before and made the connection? Even if it was just a prototype, it's still something that would have directly involved dozens if not hundreds of engineers, businessmen, soliders, officers, and other gov't bureaucrats, not to mention plenty of other people who were still aware of it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1581 on: August 06, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
If anything I think the people should have been suspicious when Batman vanished for 8 (?) years and Bruce Wayne didn't show himself for the same amount of time. Someone must have found it odd.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1582 on: August 06, 2012, 04:48:11 PM »
If anything I think the people should have been suspicious when Batman vanished for 8 (?) years and Bruce Wayne didn't show himself for the same amount of time. Someone must have found it odd.
Couple that with Batman appearing when Bruce returns... I mean, people are stupid in Gotham. :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1583 on: August 06, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
Yeah exactly. I'm not saying that everyone should see it, but more people at least.

Online Adami

« Reply #1584 on: August 06, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »
Keep in mind after BB, most people didn't take Bruce Wayne very seriously. They thought of him as the stupid rich guy who accidentally burned his own house down. Why would they be scrutinizing a guy like that?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1585 on: August 06, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »
Yeah that was always the vibe I got.  Bruce made his public persona seem like such a goofball douche that people would never think him capable of doing the things Batman was doing.  Kind of like Clark Kent's deal, except at least Bruce wears a damn mask.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1586 on: August 06, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
And Clark is just a caricature of how an alien views humans.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1587 on: August 06, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »
Rather than try to create some plausible reason why Bruce Wayne wouldn't be, not just considered a possibility, but one of the highest candidates on the list of Batman suspects (frankly there isn't one), I just consider it one of the suspensions of disbelief required for the Batman story to be possible at all - along with Batman (and some others) being able to defeat dozens of people in hand to hand combat, his feats of stealth, the existence of some of the technology, the idea of the League Of Shadows existing, the Joker being able to operate for so long without being caught, the affinity of villainous people to use masks, make up and pseudonyms, etc. Sure, all of them have some in-universe justification (he was trained by the League Of Shadows, etc.) but I think really they're just unrealistic things you have to accept as being somehow realistic in this universe - the Nolan films cut out a lot more things like that than you find in most comic book films, but you can't get rid of all of them if you want to keep the story even remotely like Batman.

So yeah, I just assume that even though in the real world Batman's identity would be quickly put together by his legions of fans on the internet (look at how popular superheroes are and imagine how many fanboys one would have in real life), for some reason it just doesn't happen in the Batman universe - the people of Gotham aren't just idiots, it's just difficult to make the connection that Bruce Wayne is potentially Batman, even though it appears like it would be easy in real life. That's why I really didn't like when Robin just knows Bruce Wayne is Batman from the look on his face. Yes, it is an easy connection to make. But having someone make that connection so easily, rather than making it more believable, only serves to break the suspension of disbelief that's been required so far. It'd be like watching Batman defeat dozens of enemies with his martial arts over the course of the three films, then at the end pointing out how unrealistic it is and having a few henchman gang up and get the better of him because no matter who you've been trained by, beating multiple opponents can be near impossible. It'djust highlight that all the fights you've seen up until now have been completely fictional, or suggest that all the enemies he faced before were ridiculously poor fighters.

Well, that's my reasoning for why Robin knowing without a satisfactoy explanation is a flaw with the film - it's not like it ruined the movie or anything like that. But it's one thing about the Robin storyline I don't like.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #1588 on: August 06, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
This Nolan Batman trilogy should go down as one of the all-time classics, up there with the Star Wars OT, first three Indy films, Back to the Future and LOTR.

Back to the Future, great trilogy?  I don't know I love the first one.  And the third one is decent, but I don't think as a trilogy it holds up.  And we can tell from those other trilogies we should leave this series alone don't want  prequels Kingdom of the Crystal Skull lol........

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1589 on: August 06, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »
Saw it Saturday and yes, it was indeed awesome. TDK had a bigger impact on me when I saw it the first time however. I think it's because of the villains. The Joker is a maniac, undecipherable, unpredictable hell of a character unique in his class; and Harvey Dent's descent into Two-Face might be one of the biggest reasons why I love that movie so much. I loved Selina Kyle in this movie, and all the Tate/Talia's twist really impressed me as well (Her death scene sucked however, and his actions seemed rushed: Heywayneijustmetyouandthisiscrazybutheresmyeternalsupportimhereforyouwhoopsiloveyouandalwaysbehereforyouletshaveseximthepresidentnowtimefortwistandrevengegoleagueofshadows) but Bane... Well... I mean, he's really good, but he seems so perfect as a villain he can even become predictable. Everything is so calculated, so perfectly executed, that, I don't know. It wasn't that good, and his death is just disappointing. Almost all the fucking movie I was thinking if Batman could outfight him and defeat him, and then BOOM! Catwoman just kills him out of nowhere, the character whose death I was most interested in seeing. It wasn't even dramatic, just quick. And the plotholes, but that was already covered up by a lot of guys ITT :biggrin:.

Other than the villains and the plotholes the movie was amazing. If TDK scored 95/100 TDKR might be in the 88-91 range. One of the few third parts in a trilogy that doesn't suck completely and it's actually pretty good and a decent way to end the trilogy as well; and it was better than BB IMO. Nolan is on his way to my top 5 favorite directors, matter of fact he might be there already.

Offline TL

« Reply #1590 on: August 07, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »
The Nolan Batman trilogy is definitely one of the best film trilogies that I can think of. Outside of these films I don't give the slightest shit about Batman, and yet I absolutely loved all three of these films.

Looking at the overall box office for TDKR so far, it's pretty damn impressive when you take into account the fact that it wasn't in 3D. It would be interesting to see how it compares to The Avengers purely in ticket sales, since 3D ticket sales definitely inflate the take a bit.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1592 on: August 07, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1593 on: August 07, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »
some batman villain was probably wearing a man purse in one panel of an obscure comic

Offline TL

« Reply #1594 on: August 07, 2012, 12:32:03 PM »
Here we go again

https://www.examiner.com/article/man-arrested-bringing-weapons-into-ohio-theater-showing-the-dark-knight-rises
At least they caught it in time.

Whether or not the suspect intended to do anything in this case, he can go fuck himself. Either he's another deranged sick bastard, or a fucking idiot. There's literally no good reason to bring a gun into a damn movie theater.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1595 on: August 07, 2012, 12:35:11 PM »
God, what's wrong with this fucking country?? I mean, I'm proud to be an American, but 2, almost 3 shootings within 1 month.....people are stupid.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1596 on: August 07, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
but what if he had it due to the aurora shooting? as a precaution if it ever went down again in a theater he was in? im not saying i would do it, but it could be an excuse

Online Adami

« Reply #1597 on: August 07, 2012, 01:03:16 PM »
but what if he had it due to the aurora shooting? as a precaution if it ever went down again in a theater he was in? im not saying i would do it, but it could be an excuse

He didn't have a permit. It doesn't matter what his intentions were.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1598 on: August 07, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
just stating a possible excuse of his. i could care less as no actual shooting occurred. it was probably that damn violence in movies influencing the public

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1599 on: August 07, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
Here we go again

https://www.examiner.com/article/man-arrested-bringing-weapons-into-ohio-theater-showing-the-dark-knight-rises

Whether or not the suspect intended to do anything in this case, he can go fuck himself. Either he's another deranged sick bastard, or a fucking idiot. There's literally no good reason to bring a gun into a damn movie theater.

inb4 el barto

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: August 07, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »
Well, making thinking Batman is Bruce Wayne based solely on that is kind of a stretch to me. But yeah, I'd think it'd be semi-obvious to at least some people that Batman has a connection to Wayne Industries. Like, there's literally no one in Wayne Industries or in the government who's seen the tumbler before and made the connection? Even if it was just a prototype, it's still something that would have directly involved dozens if not hundreds of engineers, businessmen, soliders, officers, and other gov't bureaucrats, not to mention plenty of other people who were still aware of it.

I thought this too. Someone must know that Wayne Enterprises had one. Lucius didn't build it on his own.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1601 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »
Here we go again

Maybe he wanted to have a defense in the event a guy started throwing tear gas and pulling out an AR-15

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1602 on: August 09, 2012, 07:58:22 PM »
This movie rocks.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1603 on: August 09, 2012, 11:07:42 PM »
Just saw it again. It wasn't as exciting when I knew everything that was going to happen. Maybe I was having a tired evening, but I definitely enjoyed TDK over TDKR on second viewing.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1604 on: August 09, 2012, 11:17:02 PM »
Just saw it again. It wasn't as exciting when I knew everything that was going to happen.

That's typically how movies work.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1605 on: August 09, 2012, 11:21:40 PM »
Just saw it again. It wasn't as exciting when I knew everything that was going to happen.

:lol

But yeah, after a second viewing TDK reigns supreme, though TDKR is still fantastic.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1606 on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:54 PM »

:rollin :rollin

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1607 on: August 10, 2012, 09:28:26 AM »
I don't know, it's close but right know I think I dig Rises a little more than Dark Knight.  It just feels a little more Batman-ish to me.  I mean besides obviously having a lot of cool Batman/Bruce Wayne stuff, it has the Batcave, Robin, Selina Kyle and I loooooove the flying Bat vehicle thingy!  The Dark Knight has the Joker of course but otherwise it can sometimes feel more like just like an awesome crime thriller like Heat or something than a proper Batman film.  Begins is still probably my favorite, again for the "feeling more Batman-ish" factor.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1608 on: August 10, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »
I agree, but only in the sense that TDK was the Joker show as someone else has had.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1609 on: August 10, 2012, 01:05:12 PM »
The first half of Begins is very cool. The ending is so anticlimatic though.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges