Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 218720 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1470 on: August 01, 2012, 09:22:39 AM »
You'd need cell reception in the sewers.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1471 on: August 01, 2012, 09:29:04 AM »
You think you're very smart don't you
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #1472 on: August 01, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1473 on: August 01, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »
Plot device.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #1474 on: August 01, 2012, 09:34:28 AM »
Did you mean to say plot hole?  Because the film was full of them

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1475 on: August 01, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »
I really don't see the problem with it.

1) He's traveled internationally with no money, ID, and communication in the trilogy before.

2) He's Bruce Wayne, and most definitely has resources available in other countries.

3) He's the goddamned Batman.

I just don't see what would be accomplished by showing him traveling. It would totally disrupt the flow of things (and not in a comedic way like an elevator gag in an action scene), and all to elaborate on something that really doesn't need elaboration.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #1476 on: August 01, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »
He traveled internationally over the course of several years....not a day or two like the movie made it seem. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1477 on: August 01, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »
Did you mean to say plot hole?  Because the film was full of them
Yeah, kinda  :lol

He traveled internationally over the course of several years....not a day or two like the movie made it seem. 
In this, I disagree. The whole Batman in the prison/Bane taking over Gotham/Batman returning thing took place in several months. They didn't hint that Batman was back the next day, or whatever.

Also, he was shaved and shit. It's obvious some Wayne-ish things took place before his return.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1478 on: August 01, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »
It's like what was said in that Half in the Bag review. The point wasn't how he got back, the point was that he was back.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1479 on: August 01, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »

It wasn't a day or two, it was closer to a month.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1480 on: August 01, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »

It wasn't a day or two, it was closer to a month.

Which is still why I think the film should have been 2 films. The passage of long periods of time felt very very short. At least to me, that 5 months of jail time really felt like a week at most.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1481 on: August 01, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
I'm not sure I'd like to have it be two movies, but the passage of time definitely was not conveyed well.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1482 on: August 01, 2012, 09:44:16 AM »
I'm not sure I'd like to have it be two movies, but the passage of time definitely was not conveyed well.

Well I'd have taken a 6 hour single film.  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1483 on: August 01, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »
They could've even extended the whole thing to 3 hours or a little more, just like LOTR: The Return of the King (I'm sure fans wouldn't mind that much). Those extra 20 or 30 minutes would have worked perfectly to fill those plot/time holes.

I mean, yeah the movie at its 2:40 is very lengthy, but really I didn't feel that it dragged. It was pretty amazing actually, that it was over and I was like whoa, really?
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #1484 on: August 01, 2012, 10:04:34 AM »
It's like what was said in that Half in the Bag review. The point wasn't how he got back, the point was that he was back.

No offense, but this is a complete and utter disrespect to the audience and the narrative.  The film required you to accept too many leaps of faith.  Blake knows Bruce is Batman because of a look on his face when he was a kid?  Knowing...."Hey I lost my parents...so did this guy.....but look at him faking his way through the pain....he must be Batman."  That's like cheating the audience.  The most forced and random "love" story of all time between Bruce and Miranda?  Just because she was Talia?  Horrible and completely unnecessary. 

Or how about the kid that Blake visits at the orphanage?  He was probably around 10 years old.  So, he would have been around 2 when Batman (who had only been around for about 9 months at this point) took the blame for Dent's murders and was basically labeled a terrorist.  And Batman had to do this for the Dent act to succeed blah blah blah.....  Yet this kid not only knows who he is, but is drawing bat symbols and hoping he comes back.  WTF?  That would be like being 2 years old when the Oklahoma City bombing happened and 8 years later a ten year old kid is hoping Timothy McVeigh gets released.  Makes no sense. 

Don't get me wrong, Nolan is one of my favorite directors.  Memento, The Prestige, Inception and Batman Begins are all near perfect films to me.  TDKR was just so tired and lazy to me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1485 on: August 01, 2012, 10:13:40 AM »

No offense, but this is a complete and utter disrespect to the audience and the narrative.  The film required you to accept too many leaps of faith.  Blake knows Bruce is Batman because of a look on his face when he was a kid?  Knowing...."Hey I lost my parents...so did this guy.....but look at him faking his way through the pain....he must be Batman."  That's like cheating the audience.  The most forced and random "love" story of all time between Bruce and Miranda?  Just because she was Talia?  Horrible and completely unnecessary. 

MORE forced and random than Anikan and Amidala?   I don't think so...not even by a LONG shot.

Or how about the kid that Blake visits at the orphanage?  He was probably around 10 years old.  So, he would have been around 2 when Batman (who had only been around for about 9 months at this point) took the blame for Dent's murders and was basically labeled a terrorist.  And Batman had to do this for the Dent act to succeed blah blah blah.....  Yet this kid not only knows who he is, but is drawing bat symbols and hoping he comes back.  WTF?  That would be like being 2 years old when the Oklahoma City bombing happened and 8 years later a ten year old kid is hoping Timothy McVeigh gets released.  Makes no sense. 

Don't get me wrong, Nolan is one of my favorite directors.  Memento, The Prestige, Inception and Batman Begins are all near perfect films to me.  TDKR was just so tired and lazy to me.

I have to disagree here too.   Timothy McVeigh had no previous history of being a benevolent public servant.   You know the way the public works....the story that is given to us in the media is NOT always the one that is believed.   The realistic version would be that, for 8 years there would be a underground movement of people that didn't believe Batman did it...based on his previous acts of cleaning up the city.   The boy might have been 2 when it happened...but whoever taught him would have told him the stories of what Batman was like BEFORE that happened.   In a city over-run by violence and criminals...you would think back to what Batman had done before, and wish you had THAT Batman back.   

That was the easiest part of the movie to believe because that was absolutely realistically indicative of public behavior.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1486 on: August 01, 2012, 10:15:59 AM »

You bring up some good points. I was only commenting on that one instance.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1487 on: August 01, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »
The only plot hole I had a *HUGE* problem with...and gave me one of the biggest WTF moments in movie history....was when he had a FREAKIN VERTEBRAE PROTRUDING OUT HIS BACK!   His back was broken...WITH A PART OF HIS SPINE POKING OUT FROM HIS BODY!!!

No problem...just pop that right back in and do pull-up/push-up for several months...you'll be right as rain.     :facepalm:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1488 on: August 01, 2012, 10:21:07 AM »
Holistic medicine dude! It works!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1489 on: August 01, 2012, 10:22:15 AM »
I don't think how he got back was nearly as big a plot hole as him appearing exactly where Cat Woman was in a massive city with no way of telling where she was beforehand.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1490 on: August 01, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
I don't think how he got back was nearly as big a plot hole as him appearing exactly where Cat Woman was in a massive city with no way of telling where she was beforehand.

That would be assuming that he had JUST got back, and just happened to bump into her at that exact moment.   I never assumed that.   Seems obvious to me that he had already been back for awhile and had been looking for her...possibly for several days.  But we were shown the moment that he found her....or possibly even just chose his reveal after following her for awhile.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #1491 on: August 01, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »
MORE forced and random than Anikan and Amidala?   I don't think so...not even by a LONG shot.

Anakin and Amidala was very poorly written, not forced.  The acting was forced, sure.  But it was a love story that had to happen in order for the original trilogy to even exist.  There is no reason Bruce and Miranda had to sleep together and talk about running away together.  It was literally like this...

First scene: Oh Ms. Tate...nice to meet you
Second scene: Ms. Tate....Lucius trusts you....I need you to take over my company and oversee this reactor business.
Third scene:  Why are you at my house standing outside in the rain?  Oh well, lets have sex and talk about running away together forever.  And then I'm just going to LEAVE YOU AT MY HOUSE WITH NO ALFRED HERE WHILE I GO OUT AS BATMAN AND MEET CATWOMAN.

Horrible.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1492 on: August 01, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »
A&A was not *just* poorly written...it was forced in the sense that there was absolutely...not one single reason...for her to fall in love with him.  We were presented with no endearing qualities.

"You slaughtered an entire camp of women and children?  You poor tortured soul...I love you." 

It was forced...and much tougher to swallow than a billionaire playboy having a one night stand with someone who is trying desperately to get into his inner circle anyway. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1493 on: August 01, 2012, 11:04:18 AM »
Did everyone fail to notice that right when he climbed out of the prison they showed a small village in the distance where someone could've obviously helped him?

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #1494 on: August 01, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
A&A was not *just* poorly written...it was forced in the sense that there was absolutely...not one single reason...for her to fall in love with him.  We were presented with no endearing qualities.

"You slaughtered an entire camp of women and children?  You poor tortured soul...I love you." 

It was forced...and much tougher to swallow than a billionaire playboy having a one night stand with someone who is trying desperately to get into his inner circle anyway.

Very good point.  However, we all new they were going to end up together because of the original trilogy, so to me, it was more the poor writing/acting of A+A that bothered me.  If the series had been released in chronological order, then yes absolutely. 

I just felt the Bruce/Miranda fling was forced because it wasn't just a fling.  It was pretty obvious to most people that Miranda was Talia when the actress was cast.  So I'm in the theater, knowing it's Talia, seeing a forced sex scene and thinking "Oh god...they're going the Damian route....."  Thankfully, that didn't happen, which is the only reason you would've had them hook up in the first place.  It served no purpose in the narrative.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1495 on: August 01, 2012, 11:40:25 AM »
The film required you to accept too many leaps of faith.  Blake knows Bruce is Batman because of a look on his face when he was a kid?  Knowing...."Hey I lost my parents...so did this guy.....but look at him faking his way through the pain....he must be Batman."
This was the main one that I felt was a bit too much. He should have had some reason for knowing that Bruce Wayne was Batman. It is pretty easy to figure it out (billionaire who's been hurt by crime returns to Gotham, and shortly afterwards a vigilante with incredibly expensive equipment and a lot of free time is running around), but we're kind of forced to assume it's a lot more difficult to figure it out in universe than it would be for us (or else everyone in Gotham would have guessed it by now). So having a character just figure it out like that makes everyone else in Gotham seem like idiots.

As for how he got back, I don't see why so many people think it's a plothole. Wasn't it 23 days or something like that since he got out of prison until he returned to Gotham? More than enough time for him to get back to America. As for getting into Gotham, I doubt there would be many individual civilians trying to sneak in to the city - security from both Bane's people and the army would be more focused on keeping people from leaving. Also, he is supposed to be well trained and very skillful - we accept him performing incredible feats of stealth off screen all the time as Batman, such as when he suddenly appears behind villains or just disappears. It's pretty easy to accept that he managed to sneak past some guards - they probably just decided that that wouldn't be such a great scene so decided to leave it out.

Some other things that are more like plotholes (or just seem a bit stupid) are things like how he knew exactly what day the bomb was due to go off when he had been away in prison, and how he must have spent a considerable amount of time painting a giant bat symbol in fuel (How are so many people questioning how he managed to sneak through a perimeter but no one is questioning how he managed to do this right in front of the guards without being noticed?!). Also, why did Miranda Tate keep her involvement a secret if the whole point of it was to hurt Bruce Wayne - they didn't expect him to escape, so as far as they knew Gotham would be destroyed without him ever knowing. What did she plan to do, dramatically reveal that she's Talia on camera, so that Bruce Wayne could learn about it in prison (well, if he hadn't already destroyed the TV)? To me it's things like that that are the plotholes and stretches of suspension of disbelief - not the fact that Bruce Wayne travelled to America in a couple of weeks and snuck past some guards without a scene explicitly showing us that.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1496 on: August 01, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »
the 'how did he get back to gotham' is too trivial to get hung up on. it would be one thing if it happened in like a day

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1497 on: August 01, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
Batman is supposed to be a mysterious character, even to the viewer. So I don't see an issue with not showing him entering the city.

Blake determining Batman's identity was a little weird though. All in all there weren't many plot holes or cheap plot devices, but that one stands out.

To people (like myself) who have never read the comics, the plot twist involving Miranda/Talia was completely unexpected.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #1498 on: August 01, 2012, 01:44:04 PM »
To people (like myself) who have never read the comics, the plot twist involving Miranda/Talia was completely unexpected.

I've never read the comics.  I'm not gonna lie and say that I knew it was gonna happen, but I did consider it a possibility.  Although I probably wasn't trying as hard as usual to figure things out because I figured, "Hey, it's Christopher Nolan--he'll surprise me.  I'm not watching a romantic comedy here."

I didn't have much of a problem with Blake's way of figuring out who Batman was.  I think the whole "guy who lost his parents and happens to have a lot of resources and who came back to Gotham the same time Batman showed up" was kind of understood.  Anybody could have used that information to guess that Bruce Wayne was Batman, but Blake had a more unique experience with Bruce in which Bruce showed something very specific that only a small number of people could relate to--that's what, in my mind, could push Blake from feeling like it was a wild guess to feeling like it could actually be the truth.

My only real problem with the movie (that I can remember, at least) was the flying-the-bomb-out-in-under-a-minute thing.  It would've been so easy to give him five minutes and still have the same kind of tension.  And, you know, it would've been slightly more believable.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #1499 on: August 01, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »
It's not even really about reading the comics anymore.  The Talia story has been told in the cartoon and most recently in Arkham City.  I just assumed people knew who she was

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #1500 on: August 01, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
Honestly, Batman Begins was my real introduction to Batman. 

I'd never read the comics.  I think I saw an animated Batman movie when I was really little (which I remember pretty much nothing about) and I know I've caught a few minutes of the animated series and the 60s tv series and the 90s movies on TV before.  But originally I wasn't even interested in seeing Batman Begins because it wasn't a character I knew anything about or cared much for. 

So even though I know that Nolan was working with established characters and stories, to me it was all fresh.  I know I'm not the only person like that.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1501 on: August 01, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »
Honestly, Batman Begins was my real introduction to Batman. 
Wow! You need to go watch Batman & Robin ASAP!

It's not even really about reading the comics anymore.  The Talia story has been told in the cartoon and most recently in Arkham City.  I just assumed people knew who she was
Her story in Arkham City relies somewhat heavily on you already knowing who she is and her relationship with Batman and Ras, so I don't think a lot of people who were first introduced to her by AC would've figure out that Miranda = Talia.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:23:49 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: August 01, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »

I know *nothing* about Batman except from what i've seen in the films.  I had no idea who Bane or Talia or Ras al Ghul was at all.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1503 on: August 01, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »
The majority of people who saw TDKR have seen nothing but the other Batman movies.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:49 PM »
Exactly.

I didn't even see Batman & Robin on account of it's horrific reputation. I didn't even know that Bane was in it til after TDKR was out.