Author Topic: What's so good about Metropolis Pt. 1?  (Read 22643 times)

Offline m0hawk

What's so good about Metropolis Pt. 1?
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:31:13 AM »
I don't hear anything to like in the song besides the end, which is a decent ending. Nothing else in the song catches my attention or makes me want to listen to it again. Could someone explain why it's so loved by fans and is an encore for DT's gigs?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: What's so good about Metropolis Pt. 1?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 02:46:09 AM »
I see it as a microcosm of DT.  Its got all the good shit.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:32:31 AM »
I've always loved the intro. :P

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:05:53 AM »
The middle of the instrumental section. Where the keys go up, and the guitar and bass go down chromatically. The split second of silence between that and the entirely new key, feel and meter, may be the best thing DT has ever done.
I always find it sad that they stretch that moment to 20 seconds live. It has so much power, to just ramble and ramble, take a tenth of a second break and then go on with totally new material.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 06:07:51 AM »
Are we listening to the same song?
gone

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:20:01 AM »
I don't hear anything to like in the song besides the end, which is a decent ending. Nothing else in the song catches my attention or makes me want to listen to it again. Could someone explain why it's so loved by fans and is an encore for DT's gigs?

Just listen to it over and over until your opinion changes and never speak of this again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:34:50 AM »

Just listen to it over and over until your opinion changes and never speak of this again.

While I sort of think that was sarcastic, this is actually what happened for me, seriously.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:38:23 AM »
Crucify?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 06:39:18 AM »
Crucify?
Always wondered why my copy of Images and Words had a bear instead of a little girl.
gone

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 07:04:14 AM »

:facepalm:

Sorry, it's the only reply I could come up with that wouldn't take 15 minutes to type.   ;)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 07:35:11 AM »
Everything.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 07:36:52 AM »

Offline LTE

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 07:37:46 AM »
It's the epitome of the best qualities of DT.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
Asking "What's NOT so good about Metropolis Part 1?" would have resulted in a lot less discussion.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 08:15:20 AM »
How many times have you listened to it?  Just a couple times won't give you the chance to even begin to appreciate it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 08:45:54 AM »
It is an amazing arrangement from start to finish and a brilliantly written piece of work. Its no wonder DT is so proud of the song.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 09:36:26 AM »
To be honest, it's probably my all-time favorite by DT. I find everything gorgeous in it : the intro, the singing, the solos, the "reprise" after "before the leaves have fallen". It's the song that made me fall in love with DT.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 09:41:50 AM »
Everything that made DT stand out from everyone else is in Metropolis Pt. 1.  It is virtually the quintessential DT song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
This thread is really the perfect example of what I&W and Metropolis (song) fanboyism looks like.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
This thread is really the perfect example of what I&W and Metropolis (song) fanboyism looks like.
Please don't start with that again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »
Everything that made DT stand out from everyone else is in Metropolis Pt. 1.  It is virtually the quintessential DT song.

True dat
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 09:59:24 AM »
Can't really add much. I guess it could be the quintessential song though I've personally never gotten any excitement out of it. Yeah all the elements are there but I get bored halfway through the song. If we're talking Images and Words songs I'd pick Learning To Live over Metropolis by miles. I guess I'm weird when it comes to songs like this because I prefer other Metallica songs to Master of Puppets, which is what I'd compare Metropolis to in terms of what most people think is their best song.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »
Please don't start with that again.
You seriously don't see anything wrong if out of 18 posts, one is partially trying to give any explanation, and the others are "it's a quintessential song, give it a million more listens and YOU'LL SEE THE TRUTH"? Sorry, but this time I'm certain I'm not exaggerating at all.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 10:07:59 AM »
While "Metropolis" is amazing, I think it's my least favorite song on I&W.  The other songs are just so lovable and catchy that "Metropolis" with all its greatness is my least favorite.  That says alot about how awesome I&W is.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 10:09:26 AM »
Darkes, ok first off:

a) It's a thread about Metropolis, which happens to be a song off Images and Words. For you to come in and say "This thread is really the perfect example of what I&W and Metropolis (song) fanboyism looks like" is really, really stupid. Wow, we're talking about one thing directly related to the thread and one that is very indirectly related to the thread. No shit.

b) Stop exaggerating peoples comments. You do that in everyone single complaint you make. Stop it. Children do that.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 10:12:23 AM »
He's asking what's so great about this song. You haven't given him an answer other than "it's a quintessential DT song" (which is imo plain hilarious, but let's not make an off-topic). That's it.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »
He's asking what's so great about this song. You haven't given him an answer other than "it's a quintessential DT song" (which is imo plain hilarious, but let's not make an off-topic). That's it.

Thatīs not true. Look at the replies:

I've always loved the intro. :P
The middle of the instrumental section. Where the keys go up, and the guitar and bass go down chromatically. The split second of silence between that and the entirely new key, feel and meter, may be the best thing DT has ever done.
I always find it sad that they stretch that moment to 20 seconds live. It has so much power, to just ramble and ramble, take a tenth of a second break and then go on with totally new material.
It is an amazing arrangement from start to finish and a brilliantly written piece of work. Its no wonder DT is so proud of the song.
Can't really add much. I guess it could be the quintessential song though I've personally never gotten any excitement out of it. Yeah all the elements are there but I get bored halfway through the song. If we're talking Images and Words songs I'd pick Learning To Live over Metropolis by miles. I guess I'm weird when it comes to songs like this because I prefer other Metallica songs to Master of Puppets, which is what I'd compare Metropolis to in terms of what most people think is their best song.
While "Metropolis" is amazing, I think it's my least favorite song on I&W.  The other songs are just so lovable and catchy that "Metropolis" with all its greatness is my least favorite.  That says alot about how awesome I&W is.

So thereīs actually discussion about the good and bad things about the song.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:39:19 AM by reneranucci »

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
I believe I gave an explanation too.

What do you want to hear though? A harmonic analysis? When people say they love the way the reprise brings back the intro, imo that's a good way of saying why you like a song.

Edit: What Reneranucci said.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 10:28:01 AM »

I said I couldn't really add much to avoid repeating people. Besides what have you said aside from coming in to bitch? Why are you even in this thread?

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 10:36:47 AM »
I think the song is very "complete", I think thatīs why so many people consider it the quintessential DT song. It doesnīt lack anything from any perspective you want to look at it. First, it perfectly blends the elements of progressive rock and metal, so people from different backgrounds can enjoy it. Second, it has great vocal melodies, so it has an element of catchiness that is important. The mood of the song also adds to its value, itīs not either happy or sad, but it definitely brings some kind of emotion to the listener, maybe pure excitement ("I want to hear more!!!").

The instrumental parts are very well constructed: the crazy middle section stands by itself of course, but if you pay attention at other parts such as the intro, the brief transitions between verses and the finale, youīll notice that the ideas are developed in a very controlled way there, instead of going for crazy fireworks, the sections serve the purpose of building and releasing tension.

And of course if you appreciate playing skills, the guys are at the top of their game in this song. Itīs hard to imagine how any world-class player in the world could improve any of the parts that 4 young musicians put together.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 11:30:19 AM »
I think the song is very "complete", I think thatīs why so many people consider it the quintessential DT song. It doesnīt lack anything from any perspective you want to look at it. First, it perfectly blends the elements of progressive rock and metal, so people from different backgrounds can enjoy it. Second, it has great vocal melodies, so it has an element of catchiness that is important. The mood of the song also adds to its value, itīs not either happy or sad, but it definitely brings some kind of emotion to the listener, maybe pure excitement ("I want to hear more!!!").

The instrumental parts are very well constructed: the crazy middle section stands by itself of course, but if you pay attention at other parts such as the intro, the brief transitions between verses and the finale, youīll notice that the ideas are developed in a very controlled way there, instead of going for crazy fireworks, the sections serve the purpose of building and releasing tension.

And of course if you appreciate playing skills, the guys are at the top of their game in this song. Itīs hard to imagine how any world-class player in the world could improve any of the parts that 4 young musicians put together.

Touche'   Well Said.  You expressed perfectly, what my thoughts are, and probably what many others here,  would feel about a wonderful trademark DT song.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 12:04:10 PM »
Due to pull me under being their only hit and metropolis being on images and words. More people have that album than any others. But metropolis is the start of their crazy instrumental sections with cool parts that weren't over the top unlike the newer one's with the same boring modern switch offs sounding like two guitarists.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 12:10:58 PM »
Metropolis is Dream Theater.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »
I'm listening to this again since I haven't in a while and just the intro in itself is a great build up to the 1st verse.  The instrumental section is my favorite part.  Lots of complex jazzy arrangements that just make you ask, "how did these guys think this stuff up?"  Amazing song in epic proportions.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White