Author Topic: The biggest disappointments by your favorite bands (in real time)  (Read 25630 times)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Re: The biggest disappointments by your favorite bands (in real time)
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2010, 06:03:46 PM »
Don't know if I'm the only one, but Dream Theater has never disappointed me with anything.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »
That's a good one.  I, too, was pretty disappointed when I found it.  And the kicker is, we found out literally minutes before buying tickets to our first DT concert.  Nothing like a huge killjoy, eh?

Oh no, you can't watch the static keyboard player put on an uninteresting show live. :loser:

(And to be honest, I'd rather have Rudess in DT and Moore to do Chroma Key and OSI :tup)

In hindsight, it probably worked out best for all concerned, but at the time, it was a shock to the system...and, yes, a disappointment.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2010, 06:34:29 PM »
Understandable, but I agree Rudess is the best fit with the band so it worked out :)
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Failtality

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2010, 06:44:34 PM »
Escape The Fate and Black Tide - they're too lazy to make new albums despite having songs written.

Scary Kids Scaring Kids - Breaking up.

Chiodos - Getting rid of Craig Owens.

Eminem - Relapse ... absolute shit on a stick dipped in toilet water.

DragonForce - Ultra Beatdown ... I never liked Inhuman Rampage but loved Valley of the Damned and thought Sonic Firestorm was good enough... Had high hopes for Ultra Beatdown because in an interview Li and Totman had stated they were going back to more of what they did before Inhuman Rampage, then it was basically a re-release of Inhuman Rampage.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2010, 06:50:40 PM »
Black Tide - they're too lazy to make new albums despite having songs written.

DragonForce - Ultra Beatdown ... I never liked Inhuman Rampage but loved Valley of the Damned and thought Sonic Firestorm was good enough... Had high hopes for Ultra Beatdown because in an interview Li and Totman had stated they were going back to more of what they did before Inhuman Rampage, then it was basically a re-release of Inhuman Rampage.
Hopefully Black Tide will release an album soon, and hopefully DragonForce will get an awesome singer and become slightly better.

Offline Failtality

« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2010, 06:56:21 PM »

Hopefully Black Tide will release an album soon, and hopefully DragonForce will get an awesome singer and become slightly better.

Black Tide are finally back in the studio, and are planning on a fall release for the new album.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »

Black Tide are finally back in the studio, and are planning on a fall release for the new album.
Sweet! I hope they either tour with another good band (unlike Airbourne touring with the disgusting Bullet For My Vagina Valentine), or do a small headlining tour. I'd like to see them, they're not much older than me!

Offline Failtality

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2010, 07:34:38 PM »

Sweet! I hope they either tour with another good band (unlike Airbourne touring with the disgusting Bullet For My Vagina Valentine), or do a small headlining tour. I'd like to see them, they're not much older than me!
I wouldn't rule them touring with Escape the Fate or Attack Attack! again out, they apparently all became friends during Escape the Fate's headlining tour then during Warped Tour just hung out with each other instead of trying to deal with the other bands... If they wait for Escape the Fate's new album (due out this year, as well as Attack Attack!'s follow up to Someday Came Suddenly I believe) to tour in support of the new album, there may be a good chance of them touring together again.

Though I'm a fan of all three bands (Escape the Fate and Black Tide are easily in my top 3 right now and have been for over a year), I was rather unimpressed with Attack Attack!'s performance when I saw them on Escape the Fate's tour, while both times I've seen Escape the Fate I've been thoroughly impressed, and all three times with Black Tide.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that Escape the Fate and Black Tide doing another tour together (possibly co-headlining) would make me a very happy person for at least one day.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2010, 07:44:17 PM »

I wouldn't rule them touring with Escape the Fate or Attack Attack! again out, they apparently all became friends during Escape the Fate's headlining tour then during Warped Tour just hung out with each other instead of trying to deal with the other bands... If they wait for Escape the Fate's new album (due out this year, as well as Attack Attack!'s follow up to Someday Came Suddenly I believe) to tour in support of the new album, there may be a good chance of them touring together again.

Though I'm a fan of all three bands (Escape the Fate and Black Tide are easily in my top 3 right now and have been for over a year), I was rather unimpressed with Attack Attack!'s performance when I saw them on Escape the Fate's tour, while both times I've seen Escape the Fate I've been thoroughly impressed, and all three times with Black Tide.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that Escape the Fate and Black Tide doing another tour together (possibly co-headlining) would make me a very happy person for at least one day.
I should look into those two bands.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »
Don't know if I'm the only one, but Dream Theater has never disappointed me with anything.

You're not the only one. I feel like an ass-kisser when I say this, but I truly like every single one of their albums. Some more than others of course, but I'd be lying if I said I disliked one of them. 
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Failtality

« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2010, 08:06:05 PM »

Might as well, worse case scenario = you don't like them.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2010, 08:08:12 PM »

Just wondering, what kind of metal do you classify Black Tide as? I've heard people call them thrash metal, power metal, speed metal, etc..., but I can't really figure out what they are.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2010, 08:11:12 PM »
Black Tide are basically 80's throwback. If you want to call that a genre. Just imagine a mix of Metallica, Crue, and Guns, but with a modern edge.

Offline Failtality

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2010, 08:17:06 PM »

Just wondering, what kind of metal do you classify Black Tide as? I've heard people call them thrash metal, power metal, speed metal, etc..., but I can't really figure out what they are.
I honestly hate the limitations placed on selecting a genre for a band, whenever someone asks me about them I tend to say they're sound somewhat like a mix of early Metallica, Megadeth, and GnR. I guess I would say they sound to me most like thrash or NWOBHM, without really fitting into either though.

Offline Failtality

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2010, 08:18:12 PM »
Black Tide are basically 80's throwback. If you want to call that a genre. Just imagine a mix of Metallica, Crue, and Guns, but with a modern edge.
Yeah this.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
Yeah this.
Yeah, this actually perfectly describes them.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2010, 10:02:14 PM »
...That being said, I personally don't think they're very good at it.  :lol

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2010, 10:17:43 PM »
The music scene of south Florida has brought us all the wonderful talents of Jimmy Buffett, Aaron Carter, and Black Tide.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »
...That being said, I personally don't think they're very good at it.  :lol
:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2010, 11:41:56 PM »

You're not the only one. I feel like an ass-kisser when I say this, but I truly like every single one of their albums. Some more than others of course, but I'd be lying if I said I disliked one of them. 

I don't think you have to dislike something to be disappointed by it.  For example, I was extremely disappointed with Train of Thought when it first came out, but I still liked it, for the most part; still do, in fact.  It's all relative. ;)

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »

What is wrong with Bullet For My Valentine?
They put on an amazing live show and have pretty kick ass songs.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2010, 01:07:11 AM »
A little surprised no one has mentioned Megadeth's Risk.  I was in my 2nd year of college when that album came out.  I had been a big fan during my latter high school years, even enjoying Cryptic Writings immensely.  However, because my dad was a pastor and somewhat policed my music, I had to borrow Megadeth cds from friends and pretty much keep them on the down low.  Risk was their first album that came out after I had gained my college freedoms and could do whatever the hell I wanted -- I was so thrilled to go out and spend my money on their new cd.  Imagine my disappointment, then, hearing what sounded like nothing more than commercial, pop-esque garbage.  I could not believe that Mustaine, one of the pioneer gods of metal, would put out music this lame.  I tried for a while to tolerate some of it -- any of it, really -- but it never even remotely clicked with me.  Who knows what I'd think of it now.  Maybe a re-listen would yield better results these days, but at the time I despised it.  Easily my biggest let-down ever for purchasing a cd.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2010, 02:44:53 AM »
These days I tend to get disappointed by bad mixing/mastering than by the music itself. "Vapor Trails" by Rush is a great album, but it sounds terrible. Ditto "Somewhere Else" by Marillion and "Death Magnetic" by Metallica. I guess this is the downside to investing in top end hi-fi...

Dream Theater have disappointed me once - 6DOIT. I thought it was awful when I first heard it, I could have cried. I've warmed to the album over the years, but it's not one of my favourites.

More recently, "The Incident" by Porcupine Tree. I can't see why it gets so much love. The 4 tracks on the second disc are good enough, but the first disc is awful. PT have had such a run of great albums, each better than the last, and then this one drops the ball big time. Sorry, just my honest opinion  :-\
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2010, 03:07:34 AM »

More recently, "The Incident" by Porcupine Tree. I can't see why it gets so much love. The 4 tracks on the second disc are good enough, but the first disc is awful. PT have had such a run of great albums, each better than the last, and then this one drops the ball big time. Sorry, just my honest opinion  :-\

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about it?
I understand your point, just interested about it. :P

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2010, 04:39:39 AM »
I don't think it flows as a through-scored piece, there's no overall cohesion to it, plus I don't think any of the individual songs on it stand up on their own. "Blind House", "Time Flies" and "Drive the Hearse" are the best of the bunch, but put them next to anything on Deadwing or FOABP and they fade into mediocrity. Much of the rest of it sounds amatuerish and sixth-formy, even if it is beautifully produced.
Don't get me wrong, it's still better than a lot of other music out there, but after FOABP I was curious to see where they'd go next, and "The Incident" strikes me as a massive step backwards.

It's odd, because I've been a fan of PT since the "Lightbulb Sun" album, and while I've thought each PT album since has been better that the last, each album has also had a number of older PT fans saying they just don't get the new direction. I've always thought they were crazy - "In Absentia" is brilliant, how could anyone not like it? - but now I find myself joining their ranks. I like PT precisely because they do shoot off in a new direction every so often rather than just churning out the same old stuff, but everytime they do, and gain new fans, I guess they lose a few old ones too.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2010, 01:59:59 PM »

What is wrong with Bullet For My Valentine?
They put on an amazing live show and have pretty kick ass songs.
:puke:

But I do hear that they are amazing live, even from people like myself who hate them, so I'll give them that.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2010, 03:15:57 PM »
Me too. I love it too much to see the downsides.

However, here are some disappointments:
01. Blood and Metal EP: Well.... :facepalm: Raw Dog is the only one that saves itself. It costed a lot to hear Opeth in that EP!
02. Sounds Of The Universe (Depeche Mode): One of the best bands, love their sound...but that album was a good definition of an WTF album.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2010, 01:33:52 AM »
OSI - not that I was a huge fanboy, but I am for Jim Matheos and Fates Warning. Free was a huge letdown, and Blood is probably even worse. To me, OSI is pretty much Chroma Key's little sister now.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2010, 01:47:35 PM »
OSI - not that I was a huge fanboy, but I am for Jim Matheos and Fates Warning. Free was a huge letdown, and Blood is probably even worse. To me, OSI is pretty much Chroma Key's little sister now.

:lol

:|

:facepalm:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »
The quality of the lyrics on BC&SL was a huge disappointment to me. I thought things couldn't get any worse in the lyrics department after Systematic Chaos.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2010, 01:57:31 PM »
Systematic Chaos
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
Sure am!

Octahedron - Mars Volta.
This album has a few good tracks, but mostly it's a snorefest. Granted, it's been a while since I listened to it. Maybe it needs another go!

Octahedron is one of the most beautifully haunting albums I've heard, and is up there with the best of Pink Floyd in my books :P

The rest of TMV, however, I'm not too keen on  :sad:
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2010, 11:44:26 PM »
Year Of The Black Rainbow - verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus for 10 songs then the last song that cuts off right when you think it's about to pick up and ends with noise.  >:(

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2010, 01:21:27 AM »

More recently, "The Incident" by Porcupine Tree. I can't see why it gets so much love. The 4 tracks on the second disc are good enough, but the first disc is awful. PT have had such a run of great albums, each better than the last, and then this one drops the ball big time. Sorry, just my honest opinion  :-\

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about it?
I understand your point, just interested about it. :P

I'm not The Curious Orange, but I kinda want to answer that from my perspective.

The Incident, at least for me, sounds VERY impressive at first, but it doesn't have staying power.  There just isn't enough good music, and it has way too much filler.

For the first half of th album: Things take a little bit too long to get started, but Blind House is a good song. The little filler-ish interludes that follow also are all very nice sounding, though they don't last nearly as long as they should. I don't like Drawing the Line or The Incident very much.  Despite Wilson being at his whiniest, I can deal with the former, while the album's title track is absolutely appalling, probably the worst thing the band have ever done.  After the Sigur Ros-y sounding interlude, Time Flies starts and makes up for the last two tracks.

I think things really take a turn for the worst after Time Flies. There's just way too much filler, "empty space" in the sound, and, as usual, all the heavy sections just sound really bland and generic.  I don't know why PT keep getting heavier.  They're obviously not playing to their strengths.  But anyway, after Time Flies the album seems to get really slow and drawn-out. Thankfully "I Drive The Hearse" ends the album on a good note, though it's not nearly as strong as it could have been.

As for the songs which aren't part of the "The Incident" song cycle, I find a lot of the same problems with them as I find with most of the FoaBP album.  They all seem to have the same down-trodden tempo and, once again, the music just sounds really "empty." Listening to them now, my first thought is "Good god, this stuff is miserable."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2010, 08:11:41 AM »
Okay, everybody on the Fail boat!  Perpetual Change has taken the wheel from Nick and is now our captain! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: