Author Topic: The biggest disappointments by your favorite bands (in real time)  (Read 25668 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The biggest disappointments by your favorite bands (in real time)
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2019, 07:34:57 PM »
Are you calling me a weirdo?

I speak for the children.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2019, 07:38:44 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline dparrott

« Reply #213 on: January 18, 2019, 11:33:36 PM »
Radiohead: Post Kid A.  Almost 20 years of this weird sleepy shit.  ROCK!!!

What? I wouldn't call Kid A much of a straight "rock" album. Hail to the Thief fits that more than it. And A Moon Shaped Pool was fantastic.

Not to speak for dparrott, but my interpretation of his post was, "Instead of releasing sleepy music, Radiohead should rock."   I, of course, totally disagree with that line of thinking.  Radiohead has done plenty of rock tunes since Kid A, but rocking out like they did in the 90's is not who they are anymore, and I'd rather a band be true to themselves rather than trying to appease fans who can only handle their music done a certain way.

It seems they can still rock in concert just fine, just not on record. 

And "plenty of rock tunes"? Really?  Not that I've heard.  Yea Thief was more return to the past, but that's basically it.  I'm not saying their music isn't good I'm just saying it's just feels the same every album.  It could be a balance of both styles.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:38:51 PM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #214 on: January 19, 2019, 07:37:10 AM »

And "plenty of rock tunes"? Really?  Not that I've heard.  Yea Thief was more return to the past, but that's basically it.  I'm not saying their music isn't good I'm just saying it's just feels the same every album.  It could be a balance of both styles.

Okay, but if they kept doing records like The Bends and OK Computer, which would have made some happy, one could argue that those albums sounded the same, even though those two albums really do not.  In other words, while Radiohead has had a prevalent sound ever since Kid A, they do a lot of different things with it within that context to where saying it feels the same every album seems unfair.  To look at the the last three, In Rainbows, The King of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool all feel like very different albums.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2019, 07:32:46 AM »
Starship.

I mean, you've got GRACE F*CKING SLICK in your band and you get her to take a back seat while Mickey Thomas sings all the vocals. WTF were they thinking??? No wonder she left.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2019, 11:29:19 AM »
Opeth......Ghost Revieres and Watershed were damn near perfect albums..... everything released since then, not for me.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2019, 03:41:30 PM »
Opeth......Ghost Revieres and Watershed were damn near perfect albums..... everything released since then, not for me.
Ah yes, how could I forget about opeth.... Everything they have done since watershed has been more and more disappointing. They need to get their heads out of their asses.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2019, 02:55:41 AM »
Ah yes, how could I forget about opeth.... Everything they have done since watershed has been more and more disappointing. They need to get their heads out of their asses.

I'm not a big fan of their last 3 and if they keep making albums like this my interest will probably drop more, BUT I do think it's better for them to keep making music that they are passionate about than to revert back to their old style just to appease some fans. I don't really have any interest in the 70s revival retro style they've been channeling, but credit to them for doing something different.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2019, 08:29:31 AM »

Okay, but if they kept doing records like The Bends and OK Computer, which would have made some happy, one could argue that those albums sounded the same, even though those two albums really do not.  In other words, while Radiohead has had a prevalent sound ever since Kid A, they do a lot of different things with it within that context to where saying it feels the same every album seems unfair.  To look at the the last three, In Rainbows, The King of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool all feel like very different albums.

They do have a thread running through them though:  they're horrible.   (Just kidding, my opinion only.  Not a fan at all. And I don't say this to shit on people's parade, but it's relevant to the thread, since for all the accolades, it's a sort of disappointment to just not get it.)

Offline Art

« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »
I've remembered another disappontment:

Audioslave's second and especially third records.

I love the first album, and i thought they could actually develop their sound in the subsequent releases, but the other records seemed (lack of a better term) totally phoned in.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2019, 10:54:10 AM »
Starship.

I mean, you've got GRACE F*CKING SLICK in your band and you get her to take a back seat while Mickey Thomas sings all the vocals. WTF were they thinking??? No wonder she left.

Yeah, but with excellent songs like "We Built This City" it was worth it, no?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »
Starship.

Yeah, but with excellent songs like "We Built This City" it was worth it, no?

:lol :lol, exactly.

The style of music the Starship made aside, while Grace Slick might be a legend, Mickey Thomas was one helluva singer, so it's not like they shoved her aside for some hack. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »

I'm not a big fan of their last 3 and if they keep making albums like this my interest will probably drop more, BUT I do think it's better for them to keep making music that they are passionate about than to revert back to their old style just to appease some fans. I don't really have any interest in the 70s revival retro style they've been channeling, but credit to them for doing something different.

Ditto for me.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »

I don't disagree with any of this. If they are making the music that they want to, them more power to them. I would prefer they go back to the style of Ghost Reveries, but even if they never do, there are plenty of bands still doing that style that I love.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2019, 07:42:59 AM »
Ranked from biggest disappointment to tiny bumps:

When MP left DT and the subsequent release of ADTOE: The disappointment was so great, I couldn't listen to DT for like a full year.

Sonata Arctica releases Stones Grow Her Name: the only songs I liked were reworks or straight up re-recordings of their/Tony's old songs and it bothered me immensely, add to that a few absolute clunkers (I Have A Right, Don't Be Mean) and... yeah. I saw Unia in real time and managed to digest it and love it much faster than this half baked platter of mediocrity. Thank god they recuperated from that.

Daniel Gildenlow's years of meandering between Road Salt Two and ITPLOD: okay, to be fair, he spent a few of those years in a hospital, but starting from the split with Johan Hallgren, Pain Of Salvation couldn't do anything right for me. Sadly, the pattern continues - even though PoS published a great album, Daniel also unceremoniously fired the person who was responsible for a lot of the best moments on the album, and then brought Johan back and you know he's gonna leave again and when that happens I'll hate Daniel even more for firing Ragnar. Bleh.

Leverage releases new music (that I've been waiting for for 9 whole years), with a new singer who doesn't fit at all: None of you have heard about them so that's just me venting.

Kamelot releases their worst album yet, The Shadow Theory: ugh change something please!

Wintersun releases their procrastination save album, sounds like something Jari cooked up in his kitchen while panicking that people aren't buying his excuses about why Time II doesn't exist in the material world just yet: This was lame as fuck, just say the dog ate your Time II demos USB or something.

Fates Warning releases first album in nine years, is kinda bad: I didn't like Darkness in a Different Light, shoot me?

Amorphis Amorphising repetitively on The Beginning Of Time: If Amorphis ever went downhill, this would be the moment I'd pinpoint as the beginning of the end. Luckily they added some fresh elements back into their music and all has been well for 7 years and three albums.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »

Leverage releases new music (that I've been waiting for for 9 whole years), with a new singer who doesn't fit at all: None of you have heard about them so that's just me venting.

Wrong   :)  A few of the hard rock thread guys (incl me) like them -  Blind Fire was a favourite back in the day.

If you haven't already you might like to check out The Magnificent (a project Torsti did with the singer from Circus Maximus)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »

Wrong   :)  A few of the hard rock thread guys (incl me) like them -  Blind Fire was a favourite back in the day.

Yeah, I actually got it in my roulette from Jon (Big Hath) and enjoyed both the song he gave me (Wolf and the Moon) and the Circus Collossus album. I should check out Blind Fire, I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2019, 06:12:20 AM »
Yay, loving the Leverage love!

If you haven't already you might like to check out The Magnificent (a project Torsti did with the singer from Circus Maximus)
Man, Blind Fire was my jam too - I remember checking their Myspace between the first and the second record, listening to live recordings... good times!

I checked it out during the great drought, it was quite alright. Eriksen is one of my fave singers.

I should check out Blind Fire, I guess.
Yes, you should!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2019, 11:10:33 AM »
Amorphis Amorphising repetitively on The Beginning Of Time: If Amorphis ever went downhill, this would be the moment I'd pinpoint as the beginning of the end. Luckily they added some fresh elements back into their music and all has been well for 7 years and three albums.

I was thinking about posting this but eventually didn't find it big enough of a disappointment. The band themselves actually noticed they were in danger of going into autopilot territory, so they changed the production crew and studio for Circle.

One considerable disappointment I can think of is the departure of Cygnus from Ne Obliviscaris, and the reasons behind it in particular. While Urn is a pretty good album, his absence can be heard a bit too clearly because his style of bass playing stands out from your usual tech-death approach.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:21:33 AM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
Fates Warning releases first album in nine years, is kinda bad: I didn't like Darkness in a Different Light, shoot me?

I won't shoot you, and opinions are opinions, but DIADL is miles better than either Disconnected or FWX!  In fact, I cited Disconnected as a huge disappointment earlier in the thread.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »
I consider Disconnected an EP. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »
DT - 8VM
DT - Systematic Chaos (yes I felt like it there was a let-down, and then a further let-down)
dredg - Chuckles (I get that it wasn't a proper dredg album, and I do see it as an experiment, but still...)
Aerosmith - Get a Grip
Def Leppard - Adrenalize
Metallica - ReLoad
Queensryche - Q2K
Tesla - Bust a Nut
Opeth - Heritage (I respect what they're doing, I just don't necessarily enjoy it)
U2  -Zooropa
Blackfield - Welcome to my DNA
Pixies - Head Carrier
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2019, 07:29:10 AM »
Aerosmith - Get a Grip

OK, I get that long-time 'Smith fans didn't like the more commercial direction they took here, but surely the correct answer is:

Aerosmith - Just Press Play

That one is inexcusable whichever way you look at it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2019, 10:49:45 AM »
Aerosmith - Get a Grip

OK, I get that long-time 'Smith fans didn't like the more commercial direction they took here, but surely the correct answer is:

I see your point...but after the CryCrazin' trifecta (and that goddamn song from Armageddon), I stopped paying attention...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2019, 11:18:52 AM »
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime II
Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos

I was initially into Mindcrime II when it came out, but my enjoyment of that record quickly subsided.  D2C was the first QR album I hadn't bought in a decade of being a big fan.

Dream Theater - Octavarium

I just didn't get this album at all, and still dislike it. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2019, 12:14:52 AM »
Aerosmith - Get a Grip

Yes.  Actually I don't remember hearing much difference between Permanent Vacation, Pump and Get A Grip.  I thought Get A Grip was great.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2019, 12:17:49 AM »
What about Cryptic Writings and Risk by Megadeth?  CW had a few good songs but it was the start of a descent for me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2019, 12:15:31 PM »
Not a huge disappointment since I was never a big fan of theirs, but Circus Maximus, Nine. The 1st Chapter was a tremendous debut, let's pretend they didn't release a WDaDU and call it their I&W. Then they follow it up with their Awake; a more mature, refined album in Isolate. They have found their sound and are plowing full steam ahead. Then... they release their FII; with a significant drop in quality in their album Nine. Unfortunately, they didn't follow that up with their SFaM as a solid return to form. They released Havoc, an even worse album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Art

« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
What about Cryptic Writings and Risk by Megadeth?  CW had a few good songs but it was the start of a descent for me.

I liked CW at the time.  Seemed like a natural step following Youthanasia. When i heard Crush' Em, they lost me. I didn't even bothered with Risk until many years later. I don't hate it, but i still think Crush'Em is completely stupid.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2019, 05:34:30 AM »
Seventh Wonder - Tiara

I was in love in the TGE in every aspect, but Tiara... no! I tried so hard in vain.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2019, 05:59:34 AM »
Has anyone said Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy?

Because I came here to say Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy.

Vitals by Mutemath was also a letdown for me, but not in such a big scale.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2019, 08:03:41 AM »
Dream Theater - Octavarium

I just didn't get this album at all, and still dislike it.

That's an interesting one for me. I discovered DT with LaB. After discovering that live record, I went back and got ToT. That vibe is what I thought of when I thought DT. I was also a high school kid who played guitar. When 8V came out, I was so disappointed. It felt completely different and I didn't get it at all.

Now, all these years later, I've grown to love 8V though, it's aged really well for me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #243 on: February 01, 2019, 03:59:05 AM »
Audioslave: Revelations

I remember the day I bought it and after the first listen was like "well, I guess they're done..."  Its a far cry from the excellent debut which is still one of my favorite albums. And honestly, Out of exile is pretty weak as well, but does have some decent tracks. You can see the cracks starting to form there, but I was still so big into them, that I overlooked them at the time. Revelations on the other hand was a major disappointment right off the bat.

Audioslave started off SO strong with that debut, and I was ready to be a die hard fan for years, but they spent that force REAL quick, and fell
apart
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:23:18 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: February 01, 2019, 06:16:30 AM »
I won't shoot you, and opinions are opinions, but DIADL is miles better than either Disconnected or FWX!  In fact, I cited Disconnected as a huge disappointment earlier in the thread.

I consider Disconnected an EP. :lol
You two are cuckoo bananas  :lol :hat