Author Topic: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Schools Out!!!  (Read 49562 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Schools Out!!!
« Reply #3080 on: November 03, 2023, 03:37:10 PM »
Congrats Kade! :metal

Thanks Rich.  An absolute honour to get one over the roulette king himself!
Other way round when it comes to Tim's roulettes - you're beating me 4-0! :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3081 on: November 03, 2023, 05:24:52 PM »
Congrats Kade! :metal

Thanks Rich.  An absolute honour to get one over the roulette king himself!
Other way round when it comes to Tim's roulettes - you're beating me 4-0! :lol

Oh!  :lol

Although, I think you're beating me in every other roulette something like 1342 - 0!  :lol

You're still the benchmark mate so any win is a win!  :metal

Congrats Kade! 

Thanks Joe!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3082 on: November 03, 2023, 05:49:16 PM »

Lithojazzosphere: Geography

I think you could’ve trimmed a little fat here.

Sister Sin-MMXII  Not Rated
Opening Interlude.

Sister Sin-End Of The Line  8.0
Pretty straightforward and easy one the ears.

Morgana Lefay-Salute The Sage  8.2
Old school vibes are strong on this one.

Divinefire-King Of Kings  8.4
Big fan of Christian Liljegren.

Mokoma-Hiljaisuuden Julistaja  7.6
This was a big time miss.

Anibus Gate-Waking Hour  8.0
I like the song, but this band has to have had better material.

Collibus-End Of The Line 8.5
Really excellent song. You saved the best for last.

So believe it or not, this EP grew quite a bit on me over the listening period.  The Sister Sin rocks big time. I love my music just like this. Her voice is ok, not sure of I love it. The line “I put the fuel to the fire tonight”..the tonight strikes a weird thing for me. The song is cool as shit though. I’ve never heard any Morgana Lefay, but this is great. Sounds like Metal Church big time. Divinefire is really good, but the Mokoma, I wish you’d left off. The vocals are awful, though underneath it does crank. TheAnibus Gate is pretty standard, but the Collibus has me completely interested.

You did quite well zeroing in on my base heavy metal core. Wolfking does the same and you can see how well it serves him. The fact that you made this so tight for the entire roulette, you should be happy with. I know I’m impressed. You have a very perceptive and almost an almost savant like insight. It’s really great having you in my roulettes now, and look forward to more.

Exam Grade…8.12

Final Grade...87.5

The two I was the most nervous about were Sister Sin and Mokoma.  If I'd listened to Puppies (though I'd already sent it by then) I'd have cut Sister Sin, so I'm glad to have ignored him.  :p  I contemplated Mokoma for the foreign language round, good thing I held off on them, though it probably would have been a different song(s).  Maybe I have less of a sense of your taste in thrash. 

Anubis Gate has a ton of other great songs, though I'm unclear exactly on what would hit from them for you.  That's one of the faster ones that I hoped would lean into your power metal likings.  They have a lot of somewhat longer, proggier ones.  Some might be a bit too downtuned for you, hard to say.  Check out "Emergence" from their album this year for a somewhat similar one I almost sent instead of "Waking Hour".  Their '11 self-titled might be the consensus fan favorite for a full album experience, though almost anything of theirs works. 

Looks like I probably picked the sweet spot for Collibus.  Some of their songs also might be a bit downtuned for you, but sometimes that seems unpredictable. 

It was great being part of this one.  Your taste, wolfking's, and jingle's have so much overlap that it's a bit of an uphill battle, but it's fun tapping into this side of my taste. 

Speaking of that...

What a shocker, Chad and Kade are on top.

Same top 3 as last time, let's work on rearranging the order, shall we?   :biggrin:

That worked halfway, just need to turn the lever one slot more next time.   :biggrin:

I'll probably send a post-roulette EP a little later with something I contemplated for an earlier round but was too hesitant about. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 05:56:54 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3083 on: November 03, 2023, 06:12:38 PM »
The two I was the most nervous about were Sister Sin and Mokoma.  If I'd listened to Puppies (though I'd already sent it by then) I'd have cut Sister Sin, so I'm glad to have ignored him.  :p 

I didn't really know some of you guys ran roulette submissions past each other, is that a common thing?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3084 on: November 03, 2023, 06:34:19 PM »
Josh, the Mokoma had some really strange vocals. Almost Mongolian or something. I think the music was decent enough, but it was really buried under the vocals. They were really distracting.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3085 on: November 03, 2023, 06:56:14 PM »
The two I was the most nervous about were Sister Sin and Mokoma.  If I'd listened to Puppies (though I'd already sent it by then) I'd have cut Sister Sin, so I'm glad to have ignored him.  :p 

I didn't really know some of you guys ran roulette submissions past each other, is that a common thing?

We've just started doing it some in the deepcut.fm listening party sessions in the past month or so since it started back up.  I usually wait until hangman is solved and then try them out occasionally.

Josh, the Mokoma had some really strange vocals. Almost Mongolian or something. I think the music was decent enough, but it was really buried under the vocals. They were really distracting.

They're in Finnish.  Interestingly, I think Luke played Sepultura shortly before I demoed that song, and they sound a bit like their take on that to me. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3086 on: November 03, 2023, 06:59:44 PM »
TAC, thanks for having me.  I always enjoy having the themes - they're broad enough that it's not too hard to find stuff but having a theme helps make it easier to pick something.

I'll write more maybe about my EP tomorrow.  I just saw Dead Letters live tonight and it ruled.  It's really heavy live too; I think you'd enjoy it in that setting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3087 on: November 03, 2023, 07:24:33 PM »

I'll write more maybe about my EP tomorrow.  I just saw Dead Letters live tonight and it ruled.  It's really heavy live too; I think you'd enjoy it in that setting.

When you do, find me a good video of it from this tour,
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3088 on: November 03, 2023, 08:02:02 PM »
Reaper: Social Studies

I think this is probably the finest constructed EP, if we were doing an actual EP round. The has a beautiful flow, and the story/feel/emotion is gripping. There’s no way I can jack up the points for each individual song but you’ll just have to settle for glowing praise. Running through the songs, I think that maybe Thrice are not for me. The Tenacious D cracked me up, but it’s perfect. The Nova Collective is really cool. I’d like to follow up with them. The General was such a great and unexpected tune. I’ve not heard that Dire Straits tune =either, but ending with the three songs you did gave it a stunning finish.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3089 on: November 03, 2023, 08:02:57 PM »
 :lol

Nice!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3090 on: November 03, 2023, 08:20:17 PM »
 :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3091 on: November 03, 2023, 09:43:48 PM »
Unlike the placements of the people who've posted it, that meme is solid gold.   :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3092 on: November 03, 2023, 11:10:31 PM »
Thanks TAC! I enjoyed this! And congrats to Wolfman for the win! I also want to say  :heart for Tim's Father!!!!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3093 on: November 04, 2023, 04:17:44 AM »
Thank you Tom!!

:metal :heart

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3094 on: November 04, 2023, 04:20:52 AM »
Yes.  I should have said earlier I was proud to win this one Tim when you're Father was such an influence here.  I was really hoping to take it out when I got the lead but being a good friend of yours, I'm glad I was able to take it out because of this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3095 on: November 04, 2023, 04:54:06 AM »
Thank you Kade!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3096 on: November 04, 2023, 05:42:54 AM »
Thanks TAC! I enjoyed this! And congrats to Wolfman for the win! I also want to say  :heart for Tim's Father!!!!!!

This x infinity.   I know your pain Tim. This year has tested us Callahans.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3097 on: November 04, 2023, 05:57:13 AM »
Let me pile on the Dad-TAC love and inspiration.  As I told Tim at the outset, I wasn't in a good place when this launched, and honestly wasn't even going to play.  It was the Dad factor that got me in here - both my parents were teachers, and I'd lost my dad a few years back, so the inspiration of this roulette got me in the feels just a bit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3098 on: November 04, 2023, 05:58:16 AM »
Joe and Chad… you guys get the Metal Heart too!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3099 on: November 04, 2023, 05:59:29 AM »
Let me pile on the Dad-TAC love and inspiration.  As I told Tim at the outset, I wasn't in a good place when this launched, and honestly wasn't even going to play.  It was the Dad factor that got me in here - both my parents were teachers, and I'd lost my dad a few years back, so the inspiration of this roulette got me in the feels just a bit.

Good stuff mate.  Glad you joined in.  :heart

Offline Lethean

Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Early Dismissals Pt. 2!!!
« Reply #3100 on: November 04, 2023, 11:32:25 AM »
Lethean: Geography

Parts of this were cool, and parts of this were…not.

Arcturis-The Arcturian Sign  8.2
This is a cool song with lots jammed into it.

Arcturis-Angst  7.4
This one made me angsty.

Arcturis-The Chaos Path  7.7
I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it either.

Katatonia-Dead Letters  8.0
Alright alright. I gave you an 8!

Arcturus-Hufsa  8.0
That is one serious guitar solo. Holy shit!

So I’m not sure I love this Arcturus band, though there’s definitely something there. The Arcturian Sign is easily the best of the bunch, even if some of it is a bit distracting. Angst and The Chaos Path are not going to be very convincing though. Dead Letters is saved by its relative heaviness and instrumental passages. Hufsa started out a bit rough, but geez, does it end strong.

Thank you once again for playing. Not totally sure where we meet, but you’ve given me the inspiration to really give Angra a serious look. Pretty sure I’ve said that after every roulette that I’ve been sent Angra. But I mean it this time… lol

Score…7.86

Final Grade...75.25

Thanks again for hosting this.  I'm very glad that if nothing else, you'll be checking out more Angra.  I haven't heard their latest yet - should be waiting for me when I get home - but I would recommend Temple of Shadows to start with from the Edu era, and Omni from the current Fabio era.  And if you want to try the really old stuff, I absolutely love Holy Land but I anticipate you not liking the singer and the album maybe not heavy enough.

Regarding my EP, of course I wanted you to love it, but I'm glad you at least enjoyed it.  As I mentioned when I submitted it, Arcturus definitely had to grow on me.  They're a weird band, but I love what they do.  Maybe Arcturian would be the place to start for you.

They're not really a guitar solo band, but +1 on that Hufsa guitar solo.  It's both awesome on its own and very fitting to the song

I don't have a Dead Letters video for you from this tour - they haven't played it this year except for last night.  I'm not sure if they'll do it on the US tour which starts next week.  But I'll look for one for you from last year.  I don't know if that'll really move the needle; YouTube videos are never as good as in person. :) But I'll check maybe from the airport tomorrow.