Author Topic: In Flames  (Read 76998 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: In Flames
« Reply #630 on: February 16, 2023, 06:05:44 AM »
Rich, your ranking is potentially more controversial than mine  :lol Nick may have an attack of apoplexy upon seeing this!
:lol

Presumably the pre-Whoracle albums ranking so low? Jester Race is OK but the debut & EP I just don't enjoy at all.

Yea, I'm pretty sure I've heard Nick say he considers The Jester Race/Subterranean as the pinnacle of their sound.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #631 on: February 16, 2023, 01:35:06 PM »
As I said a few posts ago, for me the whole run between A Sense of Purpose and I, the Mask is a big blur...some albums I don't even think I checked out in their entirety.

Perhaps I should give those a try. I understand that the consensus is that they are not very strong (especially compared to what came before)...but anything you guys deem relatively more worthy? Wolfking - you seem to appreciate Siren Charms...anything else?

I've been pretty much an In Flames fanboy for a while now.  But they did lose me with Battles.  I thought Playground was quite tremendous but I'm with Rich in thinking that ASOP and Soundtrack are bottom tier.

Top 3 for me would be Jester, Reroute and Come Clarity.

ASOP is an interesting one.  To me, it has some really great songs and riffs and that is what I always loved about it.  It did take me some time at first to get used to Anders, as his vocals are quite different to what was on Come Clarity.  Also, there are some cringey lyrics in places, but I got past it and really enjoyed that album.  Soundtrack I have near the bottom too.  The production is not great, and while there are a handful of good tracks, there is a bunch I don't care for. 

Sounds of a Playground is one that I really like too.  It might be their most consistent post-Clayman album, as I enjoy everything on it.  I didn't like Siren Charms too much when it first came out, but it has actually grown on me quite a bit. 

Clayman will always be my favorite.  I think it has a near-perfect guitar tone and production.  The run from The Jester Race to Clayman is god-tier, and while many of my metal friends dropped off after that, I stuck with their new stuff.  Reroute is a great album that really isn't too far removed from Clayman, for the most part.  I could have done without the white jumpsuits and jumpdafukup stuff though.  I just kept buying the albums when they were released and for the most part enjoying them.  They will always be one of my favorite bands.  Here is my overall ranking.

Clayman
The Jester Race
Colony
Whoracle
Reroute
ASOP
Foregone (could change)
Sounds of a...
Lunar Strain/Subterranean
Come Clarity
Siren Charms
Soundtrack to Your...
I the Mask
Battles

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #632 on: February 16, 2023, 01:47:54 PM »
Been listening to it just based on the hype and I feel like the hype is maybe a bit exaggerated because of how poor this band has been. Some would disagree but I can't find anything enjoyable from the last 15 years or so, it's been a rough road for me at least (and I know for some other fans). This album is not bad though and I would probably give it like a solid 6/10. I think context favors this album though, had this come out in 2010 I would still have thought of it as a disappointing album and not close to the classics, but when it releases after years and years of disappointing albums, it does look more favorable.

Overall I went into it with low expectations and came out enjoying it so I can't complain!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #633 on: February 16, 2023, 02:02:08 PM »
Everyone has their own preferences and ultimately their sound since RTR has been quite different to what it was up to Clayman, so I get why some fans aren't interested in their stuff anymore.

While my favourite two albums are from the older style, I still think they so a mostly great job with the newer style (with the odd dud album). I kind of agree with you in that the new album isn't much of a departure from what they've been doing for ages. I do think it's a damn good album though. Some fantastic songs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: February 16, 2023, 02:19:25 PM »
For me, The Jester Race is by far their greatest album.  It was one of my first introductions to harsh vocals though so that may have something to do with it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #635 on: February 16, 2023, 04:52:33 PM »
Colony
Clayman
Whoracle
The Jester Race
Subterranean
Black Ash Inheritance
Reroute To Remain
Lunar Strain
Come Clarity
Soundtrack To Your Escape
Foregone (might move up a spot or two after more listens, dunno)
A Sense of Purpose
Sounds of a Playground Fading
I, the Mask
Siren Charms
Battles

That has to be about the widest spread I can think of for a band.  Colony (particularly the SE version with "Man Made God") is one of my favorite albums ever, and Battles was practically unlistenable from my recollection.  "The Truth" for some reason is the only thing I remember at all from it. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #636 on: February 16, 2023, 05:31:02 PM »
Colony
Clayman
Whoracle
The Jester Race
Subterranean
Black Ash Inheritance
Reroute To Remain
Lunar Strain
Come Clarity
Soundtrack To Your Escape
Foregone (might move up a spot or two after more listens, dunno)
A Sense of Purpose
Sounds of a Playground Fading
I, the Mask
Siren Charms
Battles

That has to be about the widest spread I can think of for a band.  Colony (particularly the SE version with "Man Made God") is one of my favorite albums ever, and Battles was practically unlistenable from my recollection.  "The Truth" for some reason is the only thing I remember at all from it.
Huh. I enjoyed Battles. Took a listen to Colony today at work after seeing it ranked high in some of the lists here. Did not enjoy it at all haha.

Maybe i didn't give it a good enough go.  What's the standout track on the record?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #637 on: February 16, 2023, 05:44:41 PM »
"Man Made God" is my favorite, then "Zombie Inc." "Embody the Invisible", and the title track.  Do you like other 90s melodic death metal?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #638 on: February 16, 2023, 06:04:33 PM »
Rich, your ranking is potentially more controversial than mine  :lol Nick may have an attack of apoplexy upon seeing this!
:lol

Presumably the pre-Whoracle albums ranking so low? Jester Race is OK but the debut & EP I just don't enjoy at all.

Yea, I'm pretty sure I've heard Nick say he considers The Jester Race/Subterranean as the pinnacle of their sound.

:lol :lol I sure did...in fact I'm just about recovering from it  :biggrin:

Yeah, for me The Jester Race is basically a classic. But what surprises me a bit is putting together Lunar Strain and the Subterranean EP in the ranking. I mean, yes, the band itself literally did that when they re-released them  :) What I'm saying, though, is that the leap from the debut to the EP for me is gigantic...quality-wise, production-wise, but also in terms of truly sharpening the songwriting. I think Lunar Strain is ok - a good debut - but with Subterranean they really mean business. So, for me, the The Jester Race/Subterranean really is where it's at.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #639 on: February 16, 2023, 06:29:04 PM »
Yeah, the worst thing about LS is the production, particularly on the guitars.  It has some of their most intriguing songwriting ideas, and some of the violin work is especially nice, but the cohesiveness wasn't quite there yet. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #640 on: February 16, 2023, 10:44:15 PM »
"Man Made God" is my favorite, then "Zombie Inc." "Embody the Invisible", and the title track.  Do you like other 90s melodic death metal?
None whatsoever. Trivium has been my gateway back to bands like In Flames. Had you asked me even 10 years ago to listen to music that had any measurable amount of screaming/growling, and I'd have told you to get bent.  I always preferred clean vocals with my metal.  Oh, how the times have changed

Offline billboy73

« Reply #641 on: February 17, 2023, 08:12:57 AM »
Forgot to mention it in my last post when talking about ASOP, but if you haven't heard the stuff from the Mirrors Truth EP, check it out.  Those 3 tracks, Eraser, Tilt, and Abnegation, are all pretty solid and probably should have been on the album.  I have a buddy that hates ASOP, but really likes that EP. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #642 on: February 17, 2023, 11:47:34 AM »
In the style of these bands mentioned lies an obscure gem of a band called The Unguided. Highly recommended!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 02:49:03 PM by Glasser »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #643 on: February 17, 2023, 12:45:38 PM »
Ok, if I were to rank pre-ASOP albums (I'm liking Foregone a fair bit, but it's early), it would probably go like this:

- The Jester Race (and yes, Subterranean EP as a bonus companion)
- Whoracle
- Colony
- Clayman
- Reroute to Remain
- Lunar Strain
- Come Clarity
- Soundtrack to Your Escape

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #644 on: February 17, 2023, 01:30:21 PM »
None whatsoever. Trivium has been my gateway back to bands like In Flames. Had you asked me even 10 years ago to listen to music that had any measurable amount of screaming/growling, and I'd have told you to get bent.  I always preferred clean vocals with my metal.  Oh, how the times have changed

Ah, I'm not sure of your listening history, but there is definitely a large crowd of people who came in through the melodic metalcore, new wave of American heavy metal, or even alt metal scenes, and I can see how some of their newer material might have more appeal from that angle. 

In the style of these bands mentioned lies an obscure gem of a band called THE MISGUIDED. Highly recommended!!!!!!

Do you mean The Unguided?  I can't find any mention of a "The Misguided" anywhere.  The Unguided is a spinoff from Sonic Syndicate, not really a favorite of mine, but they have some good stuff here and there. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #645 on: February 17, 2023, 02:19:00 PM »

Ah, I'm not sure of your listening history, but there is definitely a large crowd of people who came in through the melodic metalcore, new wave of American heavy metal, or even alt metal scenes, and I can see how some of their newer material might have more appeal from that angle. 

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear now that I've re-read your question. It's not that I don't like any 90's melo-death bands. I just don't know any. I'd gladly take a recommendation though. I'm always up to listening to new to me music.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: February 17, 2023, 02:24:40 PM »
Forgot to mention it in my last post when talking about ASOP, but if you haven't heard the stuff from the Mirrors Truth EP, check it out.  Those 3 tracks, Eraser, Tilt, and Abnegation, are all pretty solid and probably should have been on the album.  I have a buddy that hates ASOP, but really likes that EP.

Agree.  I have that EP.  At the time I made my own extended version of ASOP which included those 3 songs.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #647 on: February 17, 2023, 02:36:30 PM »

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear now that I've re-read your question. It's not that I don't like any 90's melo-death bands. I just don't know any. I'd gladly take a recommendation though. I'm always up to listening to new to me music.

I'd go for Dark Tranquillity's Projector, At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul, Soilwork's A Predator's Portrait, and Arch Enemy's Wages of Sin for some classics.  And then Nightrage's Sweet Vengeance, Eventide's Diaries From the Gallows, and Callenish Circle's My Passion // Your Pain for some more overlooked artists.  Not all 90s releases, but I think they're a good bridge between the OGs and the 00s proliferation of the style. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #648 on: February 17, 2023, 02:51:26 PM »

In the style of these bands mentioned lies an obscure gem of a band called THE MISGUIDED. Highly recommended!!!!!!

Do you mean The Unguided?  I can't find any mention of a "The Misguided" anywhere.  The Unguided is a spinoff from Sonic Syndicate, not really a favorite of mine, but they have some good stuff here and there.

Yes, I just went to correct my post. The Unguided. I enjoy their stuff. Not original by any means but definitely well done.  :facepalm:

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #649 on: February 17, 2023, 03:45:33 PM »

I'd go for Dark Tranquillity's Projector, At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul, Soilwork's A Predator's Portrait, and Arch Enemy's Wages of Sin for some classics.  And then Nightrage's Sweet Vengeance, Eventide's Diaries From the Gallows, and Callenish Circle's My Passion // Your Pain for some more overlooked artists.  Not all 90s releases, but I think they're a good bridge between the OGs and the 00s proliferation of the style.

How could you forget Heartwork by Carcass?! Essential listening.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #650 on: February 17, 2023, 04:07:02 PM »
I guess I was thinking about the Swedish bands (though Amott was part of that scene as well), but then Callenish Circle is Dutch, so I got sidetracked anyway.  But yeah, they're essential as well. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #651 on: February 17, 2023, 04:40:38 PM »

Oh yes indeed, I will go to far as say that it's still the best MDM album ever made, for me nothing comes close to this.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #652 on: February 17, 2023, 07:44:21 PM »

Heartwork is a classic for sure.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #653 on: February 18, 2023, 02:30:46 PM »
Giving The Jester Race a fresh listen for the first time in a long while and enjoying it a fair bit. I'll see it gets back into my good books.

Guess I should also give Subterranean another go too.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: February 18, 2023, 02:34:00 PM »
Giving The Jester Race a fresh listen for the first time in a long while and enjoying it a fair bit. I'll see it gets back into my good books.

Nick told me too a few months back and I thought it was quite amazing.  I never really gave it my time but it's really excellent.  Make sure you do check it Rich.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #655 on: February 19, 2023, 12:30:24 PM »

Nick told me too a few months back and I thought it was quite amazing.  I never really gave it my time but it's really excellent.  Make sure you do check it Rich.

:tup

@ariich - yes, if you found yourself enjoying The Jester Race on this latest revisit, you should definitely give Subterranean another shot. If you tend to associate it to Lunar Strain in the way you remember it, you might be surprised. A lot of the sharper songwriting and melodies on The Jester Race have their seeds here. It's an interesting bit of their discography too, in that even the line-up was in full transition. Other than the two guitars and bass, the rest was guest spots, really - the singer was Henke Forss of Dawn fame (another Swedish band of that era) and drum duties were split between the Dark Tranquillity drummer and Daniel Erlandsson.

Man, the guitars on this are so, so good. It's almost like they were bursting with fantastic guitar licks and melodies. And those acoustic bits too. Fantastic stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #656 on: February 21, 2023, 11:44:17 PM »
Ok so I've given both albums a bit more time and yes, Subterranean is definitely a massive step up from Lunar Strain. I still wouldn't say I love it, except for Stand Ablaze which is fantastic, but it's a very solid EP and I agree with what you say Nick - you can hear in it the early makings of the next few albums.

The Jester Race is even better and I don't really know why I went off it for a while. If anything I think it's probably just that for a long time I wasn't especially into death metal apart from In Flames and Children of Bodom (and Opeth who probably count, I guess). It's been in the past 5 years or so, mainly thanks to my roulettes, that I've got much more into various forms of melodic extreme metal, and so maybe I'm just more open to the style. Probably still around mid-table for me so not sure it'll climb the rankings that much, but I definitely rate it more highly and I think it'll end up in the "love" category meaning I'll end up buying it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: February 22, 2023, 03:34:14 AM »
Good stuff Rich.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #658 on: February 22, 2023, 03:58:21 PM »
Good stuff indeed!

Glad to hear you re-gained some appreciation for these records. As I said before, The Jester Race truly is a special album for me. Brings back memories of a time of great music discoveries…

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: February 22, 2023, 04:09:18 PM »
Good stuff indeed!

Glad to hear you re-gained some appreciation for these records. As I said before, The Jester Race truly is a special album for me. Brings back memories of a time of great music discoveries…

Pretty much the same for me mate.  Was one of the first maybe 3 or 4 albums of harsh vocals that made me love them.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #660 on: February 23, 2023, 12:23:56 PM »
I've only listened to a few albums by In Flames and they've got some great material. Although, I'm gonna have to go against the flow and say that my favorite from the ones I heard is I, The Mask. It's also the first one I heard from them and the one I listened to the most, but after hearing Foregone, Come Clarity and Clayman 2 or 3 times each, I still prefer I, The Mask even though the other albums are great too. The songs are so catchy and I especially love the last one, Stay With Me; so much emotions in that song. Anyway, after reading this thread, I realize that my love for I, The Mask is a bit eccentric.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #661 on: February 26, 2023, 12:03:59 PM »
Just listening to Sounds of a Playground Fading and it's really not that bad an album. Unfortunately the only real standout song is Liberation for me, although so much of the album is really solid. I just feel like loads of the songs are on the cusp of being really good, but don't quite get there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: February 26, 2023, 02:24:36 PM »
Just listening to Sounds of a Playground Fading and it's really not that bad an album. Unfortunately the only real standout song is Liberation for me, although so much of the album is really solid. I just feel like loads of the songs are on the cusp of being really good, but don't quite get there.

I really like that one.  The title track, Deliver Us, A New Dawn and Fear is the Weakness are all really top songs IMO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: February 26, 2023, 02:25:03 PM »
I went out and picked up a copy of the new album on CD over the weekend.  Will spin it this week.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #664 on: February 26, 2023, 03:24:26 PM »
I am really enjoying the new album. I've pretty much been listening to it non-stop for over a week and haven't grown sick of it yet. Some really strong songs and hooks.