Author Topic: In Flames  (Read 76075 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: In Flames
« Reply #385 on: September 12, 2014, 11:29:58 PM »
I think that it is safe to say that different territories have bands that are more popular than others.
Not sure about AU though, I would have thought that Trivium would be popular, specially with the younger crowd?

Back to the new album, I have to say that I really enjoyed listening to it today.
I had no preconceived ideas about it, weren't worried that IF are not playing MDM anymore and just enjoyed some really good songs.

Calvin6s

« Reply #386 on: December 09, 2014, 02:48:43 PM »
https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/in-flames

Live In Flames concert streamed via Yahoo tonight ... in about 6 hours

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #387 on: January 18, 2015, 06:53:24 AM »
Jesper Strömblad posted this acoustic cover of The Mirror's Truth on his FB page with the following comment:
Lets enjoy a altenative version of The Mirrors Truth with the amazing Timo Räisänen , and for once with good vocals :)
Tension between him and a certain vocalist, eh? :P

Offline Art

« Reply #388 on: January 19, 2015, 04:54:37 AM »
Siren Charms is one of the worst records i have heard in my life.

About the band, i am a big fan of everything up until Reroute to Remain. Whoracle and Colony are among my favourite albuns ever. Clayman is a classic.

From RtR on, there are hits and misses, IMHO, but never a full good album.

Soundtrack was mediocre, Come Clarity was ok, i like 3 or 4 songs from A Sense of Purpose and 3 or 4 song from Sounds of A Playground. with Siren Charms, they made an albumm that i hate a 100% . :lol

It´s just so...mediocre.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: January 20, 2015, 04:27:57 AM »
Siren Charms is one of the worst records i have heard in my life.

About the band, i am a big fan of everything up until Reroute to Remain. Whoracle and Colony are among my favourite albuns ever. Clayman is a classic.

From RtR on, there are hits and misses, IMHO, but never a full good album.

Soundtrack was mediocre, Come Clarity was ok, i like 3 or 4 songs from A Sense of Purpose and 3 or 4 song from Sounds of A Playground. with Siren Charms, they made an albumm that i hate a 100% . :lol

It´s just so...mediocre.

Pretty pointless post right here.

Siren Charms made my top 5 last year. 

RTR made my top 50.

IMO Come Clarity is a high quality record.

IMO Playground was a really great metal record too.

IMO Soundtrack and ASOP were slightly below average but still a decent enough listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #390 on: January 20, 2015, 05:02:49 AM »
RtR and SoaPF are both awesome, two of my favourites.

Come Clarity and Siren Charms are pretty good IMO.

Soundtrack and ASoP I don't find so interesting, but they're alright.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #391 on: January 20, 2015, 12:27:35 PM »
Siren Charms grew on me considerably - Paralyzed is such a great song, powerful!

RTR and CC are in my top 3 IF albums (along with Clayman)

I Love Playground, real solid album and Soundtrack was my first IF album so I always have a special place for that one.

ASoP is just a bad album all around.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #392 on: January 20, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
Not sure why a post is pointless because it's a negative post about a band's recent albums.

Personally I discovered In Flames when I was 14-15, and I had a period of maybe 2-3 years where I listened heavily to genres like MeloDeath, Metalcore, Nu-Metal and other "simple" genres that combined harsh vocals with clean parts. In Flames played a big role, and I got into the band through Come Clarity, which I really liked. By the time A Sense of Purpose came out, it really killed the interest I had left. The last two In Flames albums (three counting ASOP) were just garbage IMO, but on the other hand I don't really mourn the loss of In Flames too much, because MeloDeath kinda left my system just as fast as it entered it. I had that period of 2-3 years where I listened to them a lot, but today I feel like MeloDeath is in some sort of dark zone where I have no use for it. It's neither heavy enough to be one of my "go to" metal styles, but also not interesting enough to fall under any other categories for me.

In short, Colony, Whoracle and Clayman remain 3 very spectacular albums for their genre, and they are the 3 big standouts by the band IMO. Jester Race would be a very close nr4, and another great classic. The band went into a slow decline after Clayman, but I still liked Reroute quite a bit, and Soundtrack was quite enjoyable, despite some throwaway songs. Come Clarity was a return to form and their best in a few years. Nothing since then is worth your time, unless In Flames means the world to you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: January 21, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »
Not sure why a post is pointless because it's a negative post about a band's recent albums.

It's not because it has negative opinions, it's just because of the way it was written.

Offline Art

« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2015, 03:33:29 AM »

It's not because it has negative opinions, it's just because of the way it was written.

i´m sorry, since english is not my native language, maybe it didn´t came out right  :facepalm:

in a nutshell: i really like old In Flames, i kinda of like some stuff post RtR, but i hated Siren Charms, and was kinda surprised that so many people here liked the album. But of course i respect everybody´s opinion :D

Sorry for any misunderstanding!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2015, 04:09:56 AM »

i´m sorry, since english is not my native language, maybe it didn´t came out right  :facepalm:

in a nutshell: i really like old In Flames, i kinda of like some stuff post RtR, but i hated Siren Charms, and was kinda surprised that so many people here liked the album. But of course i respect everybody´s opinion :D

Sorry for any misunderstanding!

Nah, it wasn't really you man, it was more me being a dick I think.

I really love the old In Flames too.  They were the first death metal band along with Soilwork that got me into harsh vocals and that style of music.  The old stuff still is absolute classic and always will be.

Saying that, I love the new style too.  I was also surprised at everyone else's reaction to Siren Charms on here too.  I think I can just accept the new In Flames and am open to what they are doing.  I can see though why people don't really like it though,

Calvin6s

« Reply #396 on: February 08, 2015, 07:54:33 PM »
Siren Charms grew on me considerably - Paralyzed is such a great song, powerful!

I like In Flames, but it was kind of a casual like.  Paralyzed definitely drew my attention when I heard it.  Very strong hook.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: February 09, 2015, 04:36:10 AM »
Still a really solid album.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: November 09, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »
I read that the other day and I think it's a huge loss. Daniel's drums were a key part to the sound of the band and will be tough to replace IMO.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #400 on: November 09, 2015, 04:35:55 PM »
What a huge blow....he was the most important drummer of their career for sure. Gonna miss him!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #401 on: June 16, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
Just like Opeth, In Flames re-joins Nuclear Blast. What if both bands decides to also re-join their past sound!?  :omg:  :P

Nuclear Blast proudly announce the signing of Swedish metal icons In Flames for the world ex-North America and Scandinavia.

"In a way, IN FLAMES and Nuclear Blast share a similar story," said IN FLAMES vocalist Anders Fridén. "Both started in a garage in Europe, both love metal and both have grown a lot bigger over the years. For these reasons, it seemed a natural fit to come back to the place it all started."

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: June 16, 2016, 10:44:55 AM »
Knowing that A Sense of Purpose came out through NB, I highly doubt it. :P

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #403 on: June 16, 2016, 10:51:36 AM »
Yea there's also that.  :lol So yea we'll see.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: June 20, 2016, 03:48:41 PM »
I liked Siren Charms and have been a big fan of their post RTR output.  I'm looking forward to a new album.

Offline Art

« Reply #405 on: August 25, 2016, 08:47:27 AM »
New song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yafxUluB6DA&feature=youtu.be

They kept on the same direction taken on Siren Charms, sadly (for me). I love everything they did until RTR, and some of the stuff that came after, but they lost me with this new(er) direction.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #406 on: August 25, 2016, 08:54:52 AM »
Pretty good..

For me, this actually sounds better than anything from the last album. Well maybe except Rusted Nail or Filtered Truth

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #407 on: August 25, 2016, 12:36:15 PM »
Pretty good..

For me, this actually sounds better than anything from the last album. Well maybe except Rusted Nail or Filtered Truth
I'd probably agree. I liked Siren Charms but it wasn't one of their strongest. They seem to alternate with each album, so maybe this'll be another strong one!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2016, 06:25:58 AM »
New song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yafxUluB6DA&feature=youtu.be

They kept on the same direction taken on Siren Charms, sadly (for me). I love everything they did until RTR, and some of the stuff that came after, but they lost me with this new(er) direction.

Nothing new here, but I've liked pretty much everything they've done, so I'm really looking foward to this one.  Definitely sounds like something from Siren Charms to me though.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #409 on: August 26, 2016, 02:05:06 PM »
Another new song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvWJIPh0J6U

I actually liked 'The End', it sounded a bit like A Sense of Purpose and the better parts of SOAPF. Not a fan of 'The Truth' though.

Offline Art

« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »
Even worse  :( :( :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2016, 05:01:14 PM »
This band has definitely changed, but I thought that song was okay too.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2016, 10:28:25 PM »
Bloody awful, what are they thinking with this direction?
I lasted all of 43 seconds, that was enough.
I won't be buying anything new from them again.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #413 on: August 27, 2016, 01:10:22 AM »
This band has definitely changed, but I thought that song was okay too.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #414 on: August 27, 2016, 02:13:51 AM »
what are they thinking with this direction?
What a strange question. :lol

Anyway I'm digging these new songs.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: August 28, 2016, 04:28:25 AM »
Anders clean singing has really improved too.

Looing forward to the DVD also.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #416 on: August 28, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »
Anders clean singing has really improved too.

Well, live his clean vocals are shite. And there's a lot of autotune on that new track.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #417 on: November 29, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
Another one down, leaving only Anders and Bjorn from the classic lineup.  :(

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bassist-peter-iwers-quits-in-flames/

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: November 30, 2016, 02:47:56 AM »
It really is the Anders + Björn show now :-\ Oh well, I'm curious about the project that Peter said he's got with Jesper.

I feel like IF hit the rock bottom with Battles: they resorted to outside songwriters, Anders sounds more autotuned than ever, the choruses are repetitive, the drums are robotic and Björn abuses wah more than Kirk Hammett FFS. :puke: I actually thought The End was a surprisingly good lead single, but there are only 2 or 3 decent songs besides that one. Well, at least Battles has made me revisit some of their previous albums and realize that they were not that bad in comparison - Come Clarity is actually pretty solid with just a few filler tracks (once you get past Anders' clean vocals :P), and ASOP has got a bunch of pretty good moments.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: November 30, 2016, 04:32:28 AM »
Another one down, leaving only Anders and Bjorn from the classic lineup.  :(

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bassist-peter-iwers-quits-in-flames/

Damn.

Battles for me is pretty okay, but it's pretty scary to see where this band is going, even coming from me who is a big post RTR era fan.  This new album makes albums like ASOP and Playground sound fucking dark and heavy,