Author Topic: In Flames  (Read 75820 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: In Flames
« Reply #455 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:57 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #456 on: October 13, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »
I'm really digging what I'm hearing. The first thing that grabbed when I listened to "Karma" was Jesper's riffs, it was nice to hear his style again. But the more I listen to both songs, the more I like them as a whole. I'm also getting used to the vocals.

I really looking forward to the album!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #457 on: October 20, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
Had a listen to Cyhras album today and it's nothing groundbreaking which I don't think anyone expected.
There's some good songs though, right now i'm diggin Heartrage alot.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #458 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:16 PM »
Just sampled some of the Cyhra songs on Youtube and there's nothing as good as Karma, so I probably won't be buying it.  Maybe just that one track if I feel like buying it.

Props to them for creating a new band, but based on Jake's original statement when he left Amaranthe, I was expecting a heavy album, and this isn't it.  It really sounds like Amaranthe-lite.  Jesper seems like he was really held back on the songs I heard.

Offline Art

« Reply #459 on: October 21, 2017, 07:15:59 AM »
Yeah, despite some good Jesper riffs, this band is not for me, sadly. But it's better than the current In Flames, which is even sadder.  :|

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #460 on: October 25, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »
After some more spinns, a few songs stand out:

Closure
Letter to Myself
Here to save you

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #461 on: November 18, 2017, 05:40:16 PM »
While Karma sounds more like an In Flames song, the rest of the songs are very Amaranthe-like. Although is not In Flames-related here's an opinion: I can understand why Jake was given less attention on Amaranthe. It's not like he's a bad singer- It's just that his voice type and technique are far too similar to that of Elyze Ryd's. You can see that on "Here to Save You": you could almost say Elyze is singing there too. There's nothing much that can make him stand out in a band with there, sadly.

I kinda wish this album was more Jesper-driven than Amaranthe-driven, but it is what it is

Also, In Flames has released a covers EP

It has Depeche Mode's "It's No Good", Alice in Chains' "Down in a Hole", Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" and NIN/Johnny Cash's "Hurt".

I don't really know what to think of this. It doesn't really sound like In Flames even if they're covers and I really, really don't like Anders' voice on melodic-driven songs. The voice correction is obvious on Down in a Hole.

Offline Art

« Reply #462 on: November 21, 2017, 06:34:27 AM »
I like the song selection, but damn, this is bad. ANDERS. CANNOT. SING.

What he did to Down In A Hole... >:(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: November 22, 2017, 04:37:51 AM »
What's the point of this EP?  I've defended these guys for so long, but it's getting harder and harder.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #464 on: July 29, 2018, 08:48:44 AM »
Spinning Colony and Clayman and remembering the old days when I first discovered In Flames and Melodic Death Metal in general. Good times!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: July 29, 2018, 11:39:17 PM »
Spinning Colony and Clayman and remembering the old days when I first discovered In Flames and Melodic Death Metal in general. Good times!

Epic bump.  Yeah I do that quite often. Jester Race for me.  One of the first albums that got me into the genre, still just as good today.

Offline Art

« Reply #466 on: July 30, 2018, 05:46:35 AM »
The run from Jester Race to CLayman is just perfect. I miss this band...

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #467 on: July 30, 2018, 06:45:29 AM »
Listening to that EP from a while back, is there anyone on this whole damn planet that even remotely considers Anders' clean singing to resemble anything sounding decent, let alone pleasant? Aside from the band members obviously.

And yes, I frequently revisit some of their classic stuff and, hell, there are a couple of post-Clayman songs I dig.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #468 on: July 30, 2018, 08:18:27 AM »
I love everything up to Come Clarity. I think Clayman, Reroute and CC are my 3 favs.

RIP In Flames

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #469 on: July 30, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »
I love almost everything up to "Sounds Of A Playground Fading", I loved their early style and really enjoy their newer style aswell, but I lost them in the last two albums.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #470 on: July 31, 2018, 07:20:46 AM »
Listening to that EP from a while back, is there anyone on this whole damn planet that even remotely considers Anders' clean singing to resemble anything sounding decent, let alone pleasant? Aside from the band members obviously.

And yes, I frequently revisit some of their classic stuff and, hell, there are a couple of post-Clayman songs I dig.

I really dig his clean vocals! I think they fit what’s going on in the music perfectly.

Granted, I’m not a huge fan. I went gaga over Reroute and subsequently obtained Clayman, Whoracle, and Soundtrack to Your Escape. I like them all, but so far none of them have grabbed me nearly as much as Reroute did.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: July 31, 2018, 09:51:14 PM »
I love almost everything up to "Sounds Of A Playground Fading", I loved their early style and really enjoy their newer style aswell, but I lost them in the last two albums.

I thought Siren Charms was pretty decent, but I think they finally lost me with Battles.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #472 on: July 31, 2018, 10:41:50 PM »
His Clean vocals worked in a certain type of song. I loved them in Satellites and Astronauts, My Sweet Shadow, Dawn of a New Day, Evil in a Closet, even the Chosen Pessimist. But all those songs have a tone and a mood that makes Anders' vocals stand out. It's the instrumentals that make it work. In my opinion it happens when the melody of the song is focused on the guitars and not on the vocals. Put Anders' voice in a voice melody-driven song like Hurt or Wicked Game and it's gonna be really bad.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #473 on: August 08, 2018, 10:53:45 AM »
I don't mind his clean vocals on Reroute or the few spots on the earlier albums because he wasn't trying too hard yet, but yeah - he's not a good singer, and that version of Hurt hurts my ears (pun intended). But where most vocalists who aren't that great technically are smart enough to write vocal lines that remain within their abilities, Anders started oversinging and his voice became more and more of a focal point in IF's music, even though it's painfully obvious that he can't pull it off live.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #474 on: January 12, 2019, 02:00:05 AM »
Wow so yea their new single is really good!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: January 12, 2019, 02:11:13 PM »
I've listened to two new songs and both are prett good.  One was better than the other though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #476 on: January 12, 2019, 04:10:41 PM »
I've listened to two new songs and both are prett good.  One was better than the other though.
Was I, the Mask one of them?

I actually didn't know about the other singles at all. I Am Above was pretty cool but I really digged I, the Mask.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #477 on: January 12, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »
The title track was decent but This Is Our House wasn’t sadly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: January 13, 2019, 03:42:08 AM »
Just listened to I, The Mask, very very good.

It's the weakest of the 3, but I still thought it was okay.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #479 on: January 21, 2019, 07:37:58 PM »
Just heard 'I, The Mask'. This one is very much in the vein of ASoP or even Come Clarity. Loved it! Heck I think this might be the best song they've released in 10 years, or at least among the best of them. Really liked I am Above, too.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:45:24 PM by LCArenas »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #480 on: January 27, 2019, 04:24:42 PM »
Had some more listen to I Am Above and I most say I really dig Anders clean vocals in the pre-chorus, really catchy stuff. The only thing missing is more guitar melodies ala Jesper Strömblad to get that classic In Flames sound.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #481 on: January 28, 2019, 02:23:46 PM »

Epic bump.  Yeah I do that quite often. Jester Race for me.  One of the first albums that got me into the genre, still just as good today.
A bit late response but yea I did some throwback and listened to The Jester Race and while I enjoy the new songs goshdarnit they're abysmal compared to that era. :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: January 29, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »
Don't know anything about these guys, but since they are opening for Within Temptation, felt I should check them out.

My ears regret that decision.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #483 on: January 29, 2019, 01:59:37 PM »
After the last album I thought "surely they can't get any worse than this, right?", and then they put out This is Our House... :puke:

On the positive side, I Am Above is a decent tune, but it seems that it and the title-track are among the few songs with screaming on the album: https://www.reddit.com/r/InFlames/comments/aisj8w/i_just_listened_to_the_entire_new_album_i_the/

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #484 on: January 29, 2019, 02:17:07 PM »
In Flames - December Flower live 1996

Such an awesome song on the album but why oh why did I search for a live version?? The band sounds good but Anders sounds like a castrated pig.  :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: February 10, 2019, 03:34:50 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: March 01, 2019, 04:52:19 PM »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #487 on: March 01, 2019, 06:34:12 PM »
Haven't listened to this band for a few years, but the hype of the new album got to me.
Listening to it on Spotify, sounds pretty good, but more like Anders 'Passenger' side project in many places.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: March 03, 2019, 04:00:53 AM »
I picked this album up and have just had a listen to it.  With all the signs pointing towards the band going back to a bit more of a heavier style, it's kind of not.  Well, there's some brilliant killer later In Flames style tracks here which is refreshing but it reminds me a lot of Battles also.  It's really just a continuation of what they did with Battles but some ASOP or Playground influence.  Maybe I expected too much heavier stuff from what was released but nevertheless, I've been a fan of all their later stuff so I still love hearing new In Flames.  Having some heavier ASOP sounding stuff is just a bonus. 

Anders can really sing quite well now, good for him.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #489 on: March 10, 2019, 06:32:53 PM »
Oddly enough, during my album marathon run of listening to In Flames in preparation of their show with Within Temptation, their 90s material was pretty much a blur to me and I find myself enjoying the 10s material more and I liked Battles the most of the bunch.  Have yet to listen to I, The Mask but if it's something similar to Battles, I can enjoy it easily.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:39:34 PM by Anguyen92 »