Author Topic: In Flames  (Read 76010 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: In Flames
« Reply #280 on: December 10, 2011, 01:06:23 AM »
hello i heard these guys on a pendulum song and now i want to check out more so if you nice people could tell me what is their best album to start with i would appreciate it very much thank you guise lol

Should I just start with the first album or what?
DON'T start with the first album! It doesn't represent their sound anymore. The newer records have more of that style heard on the Pendulum collaboration (but with much less electronic elements obviously) but many people, including myself, prefer the earlier records so it's not easy to say which is the best album to start with.

I recommend Clayman, it's one of their best albums IMO and it's a kind of transition album from the Gothenburg-style metal into the modern sound. After that: if you like the heavier side of In Flames, you can get Colony and Whoracle, but if you want more clean singing and listener-friendly songs, get Reroute to Remain or Come Clarity.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: December 20, 2011, 05:55:01 AM »
Has anyone heard this? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: December 20, 2011, 05:56:17 AM »
Only For The Alejandro :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Metal

« Reply #283 on: January 25, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »
Has anyone seen them on the current tour?  I'll be seeing them Feb. 11.  Pretty stoked, even if the newer material isn't as strong.

:metal
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #284 on: February 10, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
The show was amazing. other then

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=169545

This is what I and many other people believe happened. Trivium went past their set time which forced In Flames to go past their curfew. The cops were already there before, and  someone from their team or other, had called to report a fake bomb, A BOMB!!! why in albq. during In Flames, doesn't make sense. Me My friend and my other friend were at a bar next door, and no one told them. wouldn't it make sense to evacuate all surrounding areas. Anyways, I believe it was just to make them leave since they went past curfew.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: February 10, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »
never knew this thread existed... love love love this band....

Offline Cable

« Reply #286 on: February 10, 2012, 12:54:10 PM »
Has anyone seen them on the current tour?  I'll be seeing them Feb. 11.  Pretty stoked, even if the newer material isn't as strong.

Yup, I did.

My first time seeing them, and I am a TJR- Colony guy. But they put on a solid show, and seemed energetic throughout.
---

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: February 10, 2012, 11:50:15 PM »

Yup, I did.

My first time seeing them, and I am a TJR- Colony guy. But they put on a solid show, and seemed energetic throughout.
Looks like The Hive is the only song from that era they've been playing on the US tour so I assume the setlist left a lot to desire?

Offline Cable

« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »

Yup, I did.

Looks like The Hive is the only song from that era they've been playing on the US tour so I assume the setlist left a lot to desire?

Aye. 5 cuts of the new album, one or two off the prior. They played the "hits" from Reroute, Soundtrack and what not. I knew this going in, so I prepped myself with listening to most of the stuff. And I do enjoy the hits a lot.

They played Swim off of Clayman, which I do not prefer (but like the album). In general, they seem to play the stuff off the older albums that make me scratch my head. The Hive and Swim over Episode 666 or Gyroscope and Pinball Map?
---

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: February 12, 2012, 12:29:15 AM »
In general, they seem to play the stuff off the older albums that make me scratch my head. The Hive and Swim over Episode 666 or Gyroscope and Pinball Map?
Most new fans probably haven't heard Whoracle, Colony and Clayman at all (not even the classic songs) and most old-school fans have heard the older "hits" many times already so maybe IF think it's ok to play something more obscure from those days.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2012, 02:45:37 AM »
I gotta brag for a second here.....the first time I saw them was in 2006 on the Come Clarity tour which was also with Trivium and In Flames played the greatest set I could ask for:

Pinball Map
Leeches
Trigger
Worlds Within The Margin
Inispid 2000
Behind Space
Crawl Through Knives
Black & White
Take This Life
Dial 595 - Escape
Cloud Connected
Drifter
Scorn
Gyroscope
Only For The Weak
Episode 666
Vacuum
The Quiet Place
Touch Of Red
My Sweet Shadow

Seeing them again on February 21st and it's gonna be awesome!!

Offline Metal

« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2012, 03:19:39 PM »
Well, they certainly rocked.  The newer material clicked with me a bit more hearing it performed live.  Anders talked a lot to the crowd, he asked people around the bar why they weren't down near the front of the stage.  The only song off the new album that I wanted to hear (A New Dawn) wasn't played, but everything else they played was solid.  Definitely 'Where the Dead Ship Dwells' was my most memorable song they performed.  This was a different show for me because I took my 12 year old brother along with me for his first live metal experience!  :metal 

If anyone has a chance to check them out on this tour, you won't be disappointed.   :tup
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:36:33 PM by Metal »
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #292 on: April 19, 2012, 04:10:23 PM »
How is it that Scandanavia has produced so many heavy metal bands? it's insane. Does someone want to give me a little history lesson?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #293 on: September 12, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
I'm reviving this topic about a great band :) I had not listened to In Flames since I was like 15 or so, but last week, I decided to start listening again. So epic! Sounds Of A Playground Fading probably isn't my favourite album by them, but it's cool.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: September 13, 2012, 04:22:40 AM »
I think Playground was actually a pretty good comeback after losing Jesper.  It takes a lot of listens to really click, but it's quite a mature album and a nice mix of styles for the band, good album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Onno

« Reply #295 on: September 13, 2012, 04:50:53 AM »
I think Playground was actually a pretty good comeback after losing Jesper.  It takes a lot of listens to really click, but it's quite a mature album and a nice mix of styles for the band, good album.
At the moment, I feel I haven't listened to it enough to form a good opinion. As I said, I think it's pretty cool, but with some more listens it may become a bit better for me.

Offline HeAvY-MeTaL-MaN

« Reply #296 on: September 13, 2012, 05:05:51 AM »
Love in Flames  :heart

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #297 on: September 14, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »
Playground clicked for me straight away, and I still say it's easily their best since Reroute to Remain, maybe even on a par with that one.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: September 14, 2012, 01:30:16 AM »
In Flames We Trust!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Metal

« Reply #299 on: September 14, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »

I still have it in regular rotation. Anyone who missed them live on the last NA tour has another chance, as they are on Lamb of God's fall NA tour. 

https://www.lamb-of-god.com/news/lamb-god-announces-fall-us-tour

Offline Onno

« Reply #300 on: September 14, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »
Damnit, I'm really starting to love this band. Haven't been listening to anything else than In Flames for the last few days. I'll definitely go and see them if they decide to do a show in Holland anytime soon. Doesn't look like it's gonna be this year, but whatever. I can wait :)

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »
I also saw them in 2006 on the Come Clarity tour. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.  :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2013, 10:30:13 PM »
They happened to be a part of a fucked up situation...they got their set cut short cause apparently the venue got a bomb threat call and evacuated the place.. .it was really fucked up yet the bar next to the venue waant evacuarted....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: January 09, 2013, 04:43:37 AM »
They happened to be a part of a fucked up situation...they got their set cut short cause apparently the venue got a bomb threat call and evacuated the place.. .it was really fucked up yet the bar next to the venue waant evacuarted....

This happened ages ago.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: January 09, 2013, 07:16:22 AM »
I gotta brag for a second here.....the first time I saw them was in 2006 on the Come Clarity tour which was also with Trivium and In Flames played the greatest set I could ask for:

Worlds Within The Margin
Inispid 2000
Gyroscope
Episode 666
I would pay the full price of the ticket for these songs alone, especially WWTM, which is one of my all-time faves from In Flames! I've never seen IF live, but if they played lots of old stuff, I would consider going to see them. Reroute to Remain is the latest release of theirs that I like.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: May 24, 2013, 03:26:19 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: May 24, 2013, 03:37:54 AM »
 :lol Man, I didn't even recognise Anders at first.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: May 24, 2013, 09:05:31 AM »
The dreads and the beard did change his looks a lot indeed!

The recent IF setlists have looked pretty depressive for people like me who don't care about their newer stuff. An example: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/in-flames/2013/bottom-lounge-chicago-il-6bd856fe.html If I had a free ticket to their show, I would leave after The Hive :P

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #308 on: May 24, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
Literally the only two songs I've heard from this band are Freefall and Metaphor, but I really, really love those songs. Especially Metaphor, that's a really beautiful and addictive tune. But for some reason I have a feeling I won't like much of their other material... Maybe I should take a chance though... Nah. I'm gonna play it safe and continue down the path with the least amount of deviation. :P

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: May 24, 2013, 04:05:31 PM »

The recent IF setlists have looked pretty depressive for people like me who don't care about their newer stuff. An example: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/in-flames/2013/bottom-lounge-chicago-il-6bd856fe.html If I had a free ticket to their show, I would leave after The Hive :P

I think they really have proved themselves with the style they are doing now.  I keep going back to Playground as it's an amazing album.  I still think they should throw in a couple more songs from the older album for more balance, but I think with a setlist like this, it's strong enough now.  Although My Sweet Shadow is not a great closer.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #310 on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »
Randomly, a friend just showed me Touch Of Red tonight... so yeah that was amazing and I'm going to continue slowly saturating my life In Flames lawlz but really this shit is great, any suggestions on where to start? /drunk

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: May 26, 2013, 04:20:00 AM »
Randomly, a friend just showed me Touch Of Red tonight... so yeah that was amazing and I'm going to continue slowly saturating my life In Flames lawlz but really this shit is great, any suggestions on where to start? /drunk

Man, all of them are worth having really.  For the newer staff start with Reroute to Remain and Come Clarity.  You need The Jester Race and Clayman is a safe option for a good mix of the old and new styles.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2014, 04:43:17 PM »
BUMP!

New album will be called "Siren Charms" and it'll be out in September  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2014, 04:52:07 PM »
FUCK YEAH!!!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #314 on: April 12, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »

I think they really have proved themselves with the style they are doing now.  I keep going back to Playground as it's an amazing album.  I still think they should throw in a couple more songs from the older album for more balance, but I think with a setlist like this, it's strong enough now.  Although My Sweet Shadow is not a great closer.

I bought the box set of Playground and I think I played a few songs and turned it off.
Maybe I'll give it another chance.