Author Topic: In Flames  (Read 75884 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: In Flames
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2011, 06:15:14 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about that one. Great ballad!

Shit, the more I think about it, the more I realize that there are quite a few awesome songs on that album. I honestly can't pinpoint the reason why this album doesn't hold up against the rest of their discography. maybe it's just because it's a different style than everything else and therefore it's not as well liked...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
Most of the songs are decent, but just lacks the depth and atmosphere I think of all their other later albums.  Lack of diversity too, even Reroute, Clarity and Purpose had a little variety, Soundtrack lacks this IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2011, 06:19:25 PM »
Yeah, I guess that's true. However, I find that lack of diversity inherent in the songs themselves, not necessarily throughout the album. My Sweet Shadow and The Quiet Place are completely different from Touch of Red and F(r)iend, for example. But within those songs it gets a bit repetitive.

EDIT: Does this post make any sense? :lol
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2011, 07:22:42 PM »
I guess I see your point there.  I'm listening to the album right now.  It's good, it just doesn't have the lasting power as most of the other albums do.  It's just missing that something that makes me want to listen to it over and over again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2011, 03:56:30 AM »
Swedish metallers IN FLAMES have officially recruited Niclas Engelin from fellow Swedes ENGEL as their new second guitarist.

Engelin has been touring with IN FLAMES for the past couple of years as the replacement forJesper Strömblad, who quit the band in February 2010 in order to continue receiving treatment for his alcohol addiction.

The first official photo of the new IN FLAMES lineup can be viewed below.

IN FLAMES has set "Sounds Of A Playground Fading" as the title of its upcoming tenth album, tentatively due in May. 13 songs were laid down for the CD, which was recorded at the band's IF Studios in Gothenburg with engineer Roberto Laghi (HARDCORE SUPERSTAR, LOK, SONIC SYNDICATE). The group states, "We are very happy with the result."

IN FLAMES's latest album, "A Sense of Purpose" (2008), shifted 20,000 copies in the United States during its first week of release. This was slightly less than the opening tally of "Come Clarity" (Ferret), which sold just under 24,000 copies in February 2006 to debut at position No. 58.

Good Fight Music is the new North American label home for the classic IN FLAMES catalog, starting with "The Jester Race" through "Soundtrack To Your Escape". These titles, which until recently were unavailable in the marketplace, were put back on music retailers' shelves and made available at digital stores (iTunes) on November 22, 2010.

Not familiar with this guy myself so I can't comment.  I guess if he's been filling in live and has been meshing well with the guys, everything should be fine.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2011, 08:33:01 AM »
Niclas played in the band for a short period between Whoracle and Colony, and (as said in that Blabbermouth article) filled in for Jesper on the recent tours so he's probably the natural choice. I still don't have expectations for the new album, as I haven't really liked their newer releases.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
I'm really, really hoping this will be a good album. Doesn't look like it will be though...
I AM A GUY

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »
Looking at the quality-drop during the last albums, I doubt I'll ever try this one.
Kinda sad seeing as I grew up with their music, and seeing them live was kinda cool. (especially since they're from the same city as me)  :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
Come on guys, don't write it off until you hear it, I have an open mind and am gonna give this a good go.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »
Come on guys, don't write it off until you hear it, I have an open mind and am gonna give this a good go.
That.

Reroute to Remain is one of my favourites, Come Clarity is also great, and A Sense of Purpose was pretty good. Don't know what to expect, but there's every chance it'll be good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »
That.

Reroute to Remain is one of my favourites, Come Clarity is also great, and A Sense of Purpose was pretty good. Don't know what to expect, but there's every chance it'll be good.

This.  I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2011, 06:44:39 PM »
Well of course I'm looking forward to it. There's no way I wouldn't listen to it after listening to them for the last 5 years or so
I AM A GUY

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
They announced the release date on Facebook. It's August 8, 2011.
I AM A GUY

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
My bad

June 15th – Sweden
June 17th – Germany
June 20th – Rest Of Europe
June 21st – North America

Why the hell can't I edit my posts?
I AM A GUY

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
1. Clayman
2. The Jester Race
3. Whoracle
4. Colony
5. Come Clarity
6. Reroute To Remain
7. A Sense Of Purpose
8. Soundtrack To Your Escape

I'm not including Lunar Strain because it's AGES since I heard it and I've only ever heard it like twice
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »
Switch Whoracle and RtR and you have my ranking.
I AM A GUY

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »
My bad

June 15th – Sweden
June 17th – Germany
June 20th – Rest Of Europe
June 21st – North America

Why the hell can't I edit my posts?

So now it's been delayed 4-5 weeks.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
It will be leaked before then, don't worry.
I AM A GUY

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »
It will be leaked before then, don't worry.

Yeah, true.  I am really eagerly awaiting this.  I think if they stick to a similar formula, I should enjoy it.  I do have a feeling though that this could be disasterous though.  Although, I'm optimistic and a first day buyer nevertheless.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »
I know it won't happen, but I would be really happy if they included an instrumental track a la Wayfaerer/Dialogue with the Stars/Man Made God style, or an acoustic, soft instrumental track a la The Jester's Dance/Whoracle/Pallar Anders Visa style, or a song like Square Nothing. All of them are epic songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2011, 04:51:00 AM »
Swedish metallers IN FLAMES will release a new digital single, "Deliver Us", on May 10 via Century Media. The song comes off the band's tenth album, "Sounds Of A Playground Fading", which will be released on the following dates:

Sweden - June 15
Germany - June 17
Rest Of Europe - June 20
North America - June 21

13 songs were laid down for the CD, which was recorded at the band's IF Studios in Gothenburg with engineer Roberto Laghi (HARDCORE SUPERSTAR, LOK, SONIC SYNDICATE).

In an exclusive interview with the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet, IN FLAMES vocalist Anders Fridén, 38, revealed that "Sounds Of A Playground Fading" will almost certainly challenge the band's fans' musical expectations.

"We have some songs that pretty much go against the hard rock formula," he said. "There's a song called 'The Attic' where we have an accordion playing the chorus instead of me singing it. Another song begins with a spoken-word part that evolves into a kind of hard DEPECHE MODE-type thing. We also have some really fast, typical IN FLAMES tunes.

He added, "We've never denied where we come from, but at the same time we like to challenge our listeners."

"Sounds Of A Playground Fading" is the first IN FLAMES album to be recorded without founding guitarist Jesper Strömblad, who quit the band in February 2010 in order to continue receiving treatment for his alcohol addiction.

"It's a really sad situation," Anders said. "We're talking about a friend whom we've known for a really long time. It's like a relationship that has burnt out. It just didn't work out anymore. He's a really great guy in many ways, but it's important that everybody can get along. If they don't, it affects a lot of people."

He continued, "We've lived with this for many years, and it's really sad that things are the way they are. I wish they weren't."

Fridén also talked about the often dark lyrical content on "Sounds Of A Playground Fading".

"Some people I know have passed away, and then you have kids being born," he explained. "I've got two kids myself and, of course, it has affected the songwriting. Suddenly you're not alone anymore."

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2011, 12:02:32 PM »
Hard Rock?

Erp.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
I don't know... It's different. That may be what the band needs.
I AM A GUY

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
I don't know... It's different. That may be what the band needs.

Maybe, but Come Clarity showed that they could mix modern metal with the traditional melodeath approach.

And as lame as parts of ASoP were (vocals near the top of that), songs like Chosen Pessimest prove they can write better things than hard rock.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2011, 01:00:09 PM »
Yeah, The Chosen Pessimist is pretty incredible.
I AM A GUY

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
This interview does have me a little concerned.  An accordian and Depeche Mode.......hmm....maybe letters is right, it might be a change the band needs, but I'm one of the minority, that like later In Flames and ASOP was a pretty good album.  Just have to wait and see.  I'm looking forward to it nevertheless.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »
An accordion?  WTF?  That might work better than how he described it, or it might sound really stupid.

Hard Depeche Mode type thing?  AWESOME!  TELL ME MORE.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Still a month to go before we hear the single.  :(

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2011, 03:10:41 PM »
"We have some songs that pretty much go against the hard rock formula," he said. "There's a song called 'The Attic' where we have an accordion playing the chorus instead of me singing it. Another song begins with a spoken-word part that evolves into a kind of hard DEPECHE MODE-type thing."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:17:57 PM by LCArenas »

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2011, 03:13:02 PM »
No, he said it would sound like Depeche Mode, not like Lady Gaga.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »
:splodetard:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2011, 03:22:07 PM »
 :lol

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/notes/in-flamesofficial/sounds-of-a-playground-fading-album-artwork-revealed/214530648559077
For those who are too lazy to click :lol

Last week we showed you the amazing artwork to the first single ”Deliver Us”. Today we can for the first time show the artwork for the new album ”Sounds Of a Playground Fading” which is also made by Dave Correia https://www.playwithknives.com/

We can also announce the tracklist for the new album:
1.  Sounds Of a Playground Fading
2.  Deliver Us
3.  All For Me
4.  The Puzzle
5.  Fear Is The Weakness
6.  Where The Dead Ships Dwell
7.  The Attic
8.  Darker Times
9.  Ropes
10. Enter Tragedy
11. Jester’s Door
12. A New Dawn
13. Liberation

"This is number 10..... Album number 10!!!!! That we even made it this far, that is amazing. Then, to deliver the album of our career that is something else..... It's fast, slow, heavy and mellow. It's happy, sad, angry and calm. Sounds of a playground Fading is everything we ever done on crack (it’s a metaphor boys and girls), it's cask strength whisky when it's THAT perfect moment. Use and abuse!!!!!" - In Flames

”Sounds Of a Playground Fading” is released on the following dates around the world:
June 15, 2011 – Sweden
June 17, 2011 – Germany, Austria, Switzerland & Norway
June 20, 2011 – UK, Benelux, France, Greece, Denmark, Portugal (Rest of Europe)
June 21, 2011 – North America, Spain, Italy
June 22, 2011 – Finland, Hungary
June 24, 2011 – Australia, New Zealand

The first single ”Deliver Us” from the upcoming album is released on the following dates around the world:

May 6, 2011 – Sweden, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Australia & New Zealand 
May 8, 2011 – UK  May 9, 2011 – Benelux, France, Greece, Denmark, Portugal & rest of Europe 
May 10, 2011 – North America, Spain & Italy. 
May 11, 2011 – Finland & Hungary.

Century Media Records are releasing the album world wide expect Sweden where Razzia Records is the label.
https://www.centurymedia.com/
https://razziarecords.se/
Check out all the confirmed tour dates so far on https://www.inflames.com/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2011, 02:12:44 PM »
I really like those album titles.  Artwork is really good too.  I'm actually looking forward to this.  Although with the high number of tracks again I think it's safe to say they definitely will be following the same formula.  More straight ahead short songs with similar hooks.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2011, 07:35:14 AM »
11. Jester’s Door
Their first Jester song since Jester Script Transfigured!