Author Topic: Recording my own music, help please...  (Read 1227 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Recording my own music, help please...
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:05:43 AM »
I've written way less music over the last few years since I've become frustrated with how long it can take to transcribe accurately on powertab or how sometimes a riff will feel wrong when I play it later on by reading it from my own handwriting in a notebook due to the lack of note values and other missing descriptors. I wanna start recording by patching directly into my computer for guitar and bass as well as vocally once I get slightly better control of my voice. For drums I'd like to get a program that has sampled real percussion so I can just write my own beats and mix them in with the other instruments.

I'd like to do this as inexpensively as possible since I'm sure I'll be findind many things I wish to improve as this first step will probably be a sort of "feeling it out" phase where I'll realize more thoroughly what I want out of my recording experience kind of like how I have the DigiTech RP200 multi-effects pedal which is cheap and decent and helped me realize what it was missing so I could look for these missing features in future purchases.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ddtonfire

Re: Recording my own music, help please...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:27:43 AM »
DAW: Audacity
Drums: Hydrogen

Both are free.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
DAW: Audacity
Drums: Hydrogen

Both are free.

Thanks a bunch man! Will these allow me to record my guitar/bass riffs directly once I have the appropriate cable?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:40:20 AM »
Yes, Audacity will. I'm not sure how your set up will be so you might have trouble monitoring yourself though. With Hydrogen, you can google a bunch of different sets online, program the parts, and then export as a wav and import into Audacity. At least this is how I did it when I first started out.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:42:34 AM »
Cool. Can't wait to get on this.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »
I don't know if this may help, but I just uploaded a three part series in my website with videos tutorials on how I personally trasnfer the audio. I explain how to work with audio interface, cables and Pro Tools (the software), I understand it may be a step higher than what you want, but here's the link anyways:

https://www.noisejunkies.net/tutorials
Crossing bridges in the sky.