Author Topic: I have lost my Pain of Salvation virginity today, I purchased......  (Read 27708 times)

Offline shadowfex

Re: I have lost my Pain of Salvation virginity today, I purchased......
« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2010, 06:46:12 AM »
I am just listening to the album again now, after work.  I'm actually liking the title track quite a bit.  :azn:

Pain of salvation albums really require 5+ listens through before you can start making accurate judgements on the songs. Writing 'zzzzzz' as your opinion on Idiocracy and MMMM after one listen is pretty immature. Give the songs some time, read the lyrics and for God's sake buy REMEDY LANE, THE PERFECT ELEMENT AND BE!!
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:07 AM »
I am just listening to the album again now, after work.  I'm actually liking the title track quite a bit.  :azn:
Writing 'zzzzzz' as your opinion on Idiocracy and MMMM after one listen is pretty immature.

How is it immature?  I clearly stated that it was my first listen and after that, 'zzzzzzzzz' were my feelings.  I then stated that I did need to listen more and obviously had not discovered it's beauty and magic yet.

I am sorry to offend you with my horrible opinions  ::)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »
I'm not offended, i'm glad you are getting into POS. You seriously need to grab the other three albums I mentioned though because, while Scarsick is good, it is vastly inferior to those albums.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2010, 05:43:58 AM »
I'm not offended, i'm glad you are getting into POS. You seriously need to grab the other three albums I mentioned though because, while Scarsick is good, it is vastly inferior to those albums.

Excellent, I look forward to picking them up.  I will hopefully be able to get out this weekend, although work could get in the way.

Oh, listening to Scarsick again.  I must say all tracks are growing on me.  Every song has it's own personality, Disco Queen is surprisingly getting stuck in my head.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »

Excellent, I look forward to picking them up.  I will hopefully be able to get out this weekend, although work could get in the way.

Oh, listening to Scarsick again.  I must say all tracks are growing on me.  Every song has it's own personality, Disco Queen is surprisingly getting stuck in my head.

You don't need to add "surprisingly". Disco Queen is pretty much designed to get stuck in your head. Awesome song though.
AAAHHHHH!!!!
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2010, 04:44:30 AM »

Excellent, I look forward to picking them up.  I will hopefully be able to get out this weekend, although work could get in the way.

Oh, listening to Scarsick again.  I must say all tracks are growing on me.  Every song has it's own personality, Disco Queen is surprisingly getting stuck in my head.

You don't need to add "surprisingly". Disco Queen is pretty much designed to get stuck in your head. Awesome song though.
AAAHHHHH!!!!

The middle section is AMAZING!!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:02:37 AM by wolfking »

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2010, 05:01:42 AM »
NO LOVE FOR ENTROPIA?

Seriously, Entropia is the best them. I'd recommend it first before Remedy Lane.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2010, 06:02:50 AM »
NO LOVE FOR ENTROPIA?

Seriously, Entropia is the best them. I'd recommend it first before Remedy Lane.

Every album is just amazing.

Seriously, Road Salt could be borderline dog shit, but it would still be awesome.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2010, 10:30:56 AM »
Disco Queen is surprisingly getting stuck in my head.

And now it's in my head too.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »
Even though I agree Scarsick is their worst album, I find myself liking it a lot. I love Disco Queen, you haters.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2010, 11:01:59 AM »
I love Disco Queen too, I just don't like having it stuck in my head 'cos then I'm forced to sing along and people give me weird looks...

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2010, 11:08:12 AM »
I love Disco Queen too, I just don't like having it stuck in my head 'cos then I'm forced to sing along and people give me weird looks...

Enjoy the weird looks. Disco Queen rocks.
Play it for old people, they dance in the streets.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2010, 11:16:20 AM »
 :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2010, 11:21:10 AM »

Enjoy the weird looks. Disco Queen rocks.
Play it for old people, they dance in the streets.

LET'S DISCO
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »
It has 3.11/5 on Rate Your Music. From over 800 ratings.

I dunno which "greater music-listening community" you're talking to, but the one I know isn't scandalised when an album doesn't sound like Remedy Lane.

I don't what you're trying to say. Reception for Scarsick was poor. 3 outta 5 stars isn't exactly something to brag about, especially on the internet.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
It's a far, far, far cry from universal loathing. Means the higher ratings are either stronger, or more numerous, than the lower ratings. RYM is the closest thing to an independent adjudicator I could think of, and it adjusts the scores to counteract fanboy spaff.

What UMH had posted, there, was not the general sentiment about Scarsick from the greater music-listening community. It, more than anything, was the general viewpoint of scorned fanboys who come rolling in with their preconceptions. It's They Changed It Now It Sucks. They're insular criticisms, based more on the quality of their prior output than anything else.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »
"Universal loathing" is a far, far, far cry from what anyone said. The point is, while Scarsick isn't the worst album out there, it's pretty fucking terrible.  And most people seem to agree that it's one of those PoS albums you save for last if you're trying to get into them.  I don't see how you can blame it on the fans, since they're the only ones who seem to care about defending it.

I'm not basing my opinion on Scarsick on their previous output either, so thank you very much.  I love Be, which was a big change from Remedy Lane (which itself was very different from TPE, and so on).  Simply put, Daniel Gildenlow can't rap, and thankfully from what I can tell of Road Salt he's given up trying. The music itself is hook driven and gets stale pretty quickly.  The lyrics are some of the worst I've heard on an album, and fall somewhere in the category of "parody" only they're not funny or amusing, just sad and a little pathetic.

Furthermore, as the album that's supposedly the sequel to The Perfect Element pt. 1, one of the most beloved albums by the fans, I'm not quite sure why I was supposed to leave my expectations for Scarsick at the door anyway.

Regardless, I for one am glad PoS aren't the type of band to do the same thing twice.  Road Salt already sounds light-years ahead of Scarsick in terms of everything.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2010, 04:51:34 PM »
You know, it really is baffling because I don't see Scarsick as terrible at all. I felt that way at first, but after a couple of months I grew to love it.

On some days it's my favourite PoS album. And this is coming from a HUGE fan of RL and TPE.

It usually depends on what mood i'm in. Music is what you make of it, and while some people make Scarsick to be total rubbish, I find it refreshing and original in an genre that quite often repeats itself.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
"Universal loathing" is a far, far, far cry from what anyone said. The point is, while Scarsick isn't the worst album out there, it's pretty fucking terrible.  And most people seem to agree that it's one of those PoS albums you save for last if you're trying to get into them.  I don't see how you can blame it on the fans, since they're the only ones who seem to care about defending it.

I'm not basing my opinion on Scarsick on their previous output either, so thank you very much.  I love Be, which was a big change from Remedy Lane (which itself was very different from TPE, and so on).  Simply put, Daniel Gildenlow can't rap, and thankfully from what I can tell of Road Salt he's given up trying. The music itself is hook driven and gets stale pretty quickly.  The lyrics are some of the worst I've heard on an album, and fall somewhere in the category of "parody" only they're not funny or amusing, just sad and a little pathetic.

Furthermore, as the album that's supposedly the sequel to The Perfect Element pt. 1, one of the most beloved albums by the fans, I'm not quite sure why I was supposed to leave my expectations for Scarsick at the door anyway.

Regardless, I for one am glad PoS aren't the type of band to do the same thing twice.  Road Salt already sounds light-years ahead of Scarsick in terms of everything.
Well that's not what I'm contesting, so fair doos on that bit. Have an opinion! It's stellar. Hey, have two. I don't mind.

What you said, is "what UMH has posted here seems to be the general sentiments about Scarsick from the greater music-listening community." Only bit I'm challenging really, but oh boy it's wrong. Steeped in wrong. It's not unanimous, but the greater music listening community are much warmer - by the best, broadest meter I could rustle up, and frankly none of the opinions he expressed would even make sense applied on a broader scale.

UMH said "objectively, it's pretty bad" - you said "this is the general opinion." It's not. That's just a lie. It's very much an insular, internet-PoS-fan, cabin fever kinda perspective. He even quoted an intimate knowledge of the back-catalogue as necessary background to all of the reasons he didn't like it. That couldn't be more PoS-fanny. An anecdotal sample pasted together from self-selected, opinionated people from the internet who like to grumble and make lists - much like myself. There are plenty of them, for sure, but there are plenty more people who think it's at least "good," if not even "great."  Truth is, though, there are plenty of people who dig it. Oodles of the buggers - as the RYM score reveals. You, yourself, put down its apparently-few defenders as "a few fanatics and the people at Remedy Lane" - as though the only reason anyone would like it was because they have a bit of a boner for more or less anything PoS put out. Kinda dismissed it as the ramblings of mad people - you even called the people who thought it was ace part of "a community you should avoid at all costs." But, regardless of how bad RL may be (I've never been) - people who like it are the majority!

"Objectively, Scarsick is pretty bad?" Objectively, what a load of old cobblers! There is no objective scale on which that's true. If you don't like it, grand! Hate it, if you want. Loathe it! Form a little club about it, that'd be nice. Nice to be in a club. Sense of belonging. But it's not the consensus. Which doesn't make your opinions any less or more valid! Just means that bit about Scarsick being objectively bad is wrong. And the one about only a few idiot fans liking it is also wrong. (Although I'm sure there are plenty of idiots who f'ing love the thing.)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2010, 06:33:24 AM »
Maybe I was wrong saying "general music listening community," and should have said "PoS fan community." Does anyone but PoS fans care, know about, or listen to any of their albums?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2010, 08:03:36 AM »
Haha, you'd be surprised! God knows how you go about finding them but yeah, I think there's a lot of people who have a sort of casual interest rather than being a full-fledged list-making fan. Heck, I'd v. poss qualify - depends how loose your definition is. I'm borderline, anyway.

Sorry about going off on one, by the way. I hate being all grumpy and hectoring. Just one of my personal bugbears.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2010, 05:10:34 AM »
Alright.  This weekend I picked up;

12:5
Linoleum
Ending Themes (2DVD/2CD)

I haven't given any much of a listen yet as work is crazy at the moment, but managed to have a quick look at the DVD and it seems quite good so far.  Only up to the third song but Nightmist is amazing!!!!!

Still searching for the other classics everyone is raving about, I will have another search this coming weekend.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2010, 12:20:11 PM »

Linoleum
Ending Themes (2DVD/2CD)

I haven't given any much of a listen yet as work is crazy at the moment, but managed to have a quick look at the DVD and it seems quite good so far.  Only up to the third song but Nightmist is amazing!!!!!

Still searching for the other classics everyone is raving about, I will have another search this coming weekend.

Interesting choices. Make Remedy Lane your next pick.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: May 10, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
^ That or the Perfect Element.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »

Linoleum
Ending Themes (2DVD/2CD)

12:5 is incredible. It's the best thing they've released in years.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »
12:5 is probably the best 'unplugged' album I've ever heard.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: May 11, 2010, 05:17:34 AM »

Linoleum
Ending Themes (2DVD/2CD)

Interesting choices. Make Remedy Lane your next pick.

These were all I could find.  Gonna search for Remedy and Element this weekend!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2010, 05:17:59 AM »
NP: Handful of Nothing (live) *drool*

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2010, 08:56:26 AM »

Oh man, the outro they add on live just makes that song.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »

Oh man, the outro they add on live just makes that song.

I remember hearing that outro for the first time and thinking "jesus, why can't their new stuff go in this direction?"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »
Because the new stuff is even better? :P

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »
Because the new stuff is even better? :P

Maybe it's cause the production of that live album is 1000 times better than the production they are willingly going with now, I dunno. But I like the outro better than a lot of what I've heard, not that it's bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2010, 04:55:31 AM »
The song Ashes is AMAZING!!!!!

1 thing I have learnt from the DVD so far is that Daniel is a fucking excellent guitarist, tasty chops.  !(foreward) kicks ass also.