Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99390 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #490 on: November 19, 2010, 12:32:07 AM »
Why is it that some beers are kick-ass out of cans and some are disgusting?

Anyway, having the 22 oz. #9 I've been holding onto for a while. Now I only have to wait three weeks until my next Magic Hat  :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #491 on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:56 AM »
I had a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale tonight with dinner. Very nice beer that was extra tasty alongside meatloaf covered in Ommegang Abbey Ale Gravy :hat After that was a Green Flash West Coast IPA, which is good but totally unremarkable compared to some of the other IPAs coming out of Cali.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #492 on: November 19, 2010, 06:15:43 PM »
BEHOLD MY EPIC HOMEBREW

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #493 on: November 19, 2010, 06:27:32 PM »
wait, I thought you just got the kit recently... how do you have homebrew already?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #494 on: November 20, 2010, 12:36:25 AM »
I forgot I had some Russian River Blind Pig sitting around (never tried it before, friends brought it to me a month or two ago). What a wonderful smell...

Oh yeah, and it tastes okay too.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #495 on: November 20, 2010, 07:49:08 AM »
If I ever hear about you leaving Russian River IPAs around without drinking them super fresh again you're in trouble :P

PLM, if you are indeed going to Monk's Cafe today... Allagash White is one you should definitely try, it's pretty much the quintessential American version of a Belgian witbier. Stoudt's Pils is another one probably worth trying. Personally I don't care much for pilsners, but many craft fans do. Also, that's the style that Bud/Miller/Coors are purportedly brewing their beers in, so drinking a real one should make for a fun comparison. If you want to see what a hoppy beer is about, Bear Republic's Racer 5 is an excellent (though bitter) IPA. St. Bernardus 12 is an absolute malt bomb from Belgium. It's dark and rich and super sweet, and quadrupel is one of my favorite styles. The item that made me drool the most though was that they have a keg right now of five year old Dogfish Head World Wide Stout. This is a monstrous imperial stout that clocks in at 18% (so 4x the alcohol of a normal beer). I (and many people) can't stand this beer fresh, it's too boozy. I've heard (though never been able to try for myself) that it's absolutely sublime once it gets a few years of age on it. So those are my picks, I would say for some of the beers I listed (especially the last three) maybe ask the bartender for a sample before you commit to ordering a whole glass if you are interested. I'm sure if you ask the bartender he'll be glad to point you in the direction of some other good stuff on tap as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #496 on: November 20, 2010, 07:56:37 AM »
ARE YOU MAD MAN!!!!  WORLD WIDE STOUT! :laugh:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #497 on: November 20, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »
If I ever hear about you leaving Russian River IPAs around without drinking them super fresh again you're in trouble :P

PLM, if you are indeed going to Monk's Cafe today... Allagash White is one you should definitely try, it's pretty much the quintessential American version of a Belgian witbier. Stoudt's Pils is another one probably worth trying. Personally I don't care much for pilsners, but many craft fans do. Also, that's the style that Bud/Miller/Coors are purportedly brewing their beers in, so drinking a real one should make for a fun comparison. If you want to see what a hoppy beer is about, Bear Republic's Racer 5 is an excellent (though bitter) IPA. St. Bernardus 12 is an absolute malt bomb from Belgium. It's dark and rich and super sweet, and quadrupel is one of my favorite styles. The item that made me drool the most though was that they have a keg right now of five year old Dogfish Head World Wide Stout. This is a monstrous imperial stout that clocks in at 18% (so 4x the alcohol of a normal beer). I (and many people) can't stand this beer fresh, it's too boozy. I've heard (though never been able to try for myself) that it's absolutely sublime once it gets a few years of age on it. So those are my picks, I would say for some of the beers I listed (especially the last three) maybe ask the bartender for a sample before you commit to ordering a whole glass if you are interested. I'm sure if you ask the bartender he'll be glad to point you in the direction of some other good stuff on tap as well.

Thanks man I'll be sure to try at least one of those. Do these sorts of places generally let you sample stuff before buying?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #498 on: November 20, 2010, 08:19:49 AM »
Varies from bar to bar somewhat, and also probably depends on how busy they are, but any good beer bar should. As long as you don't ask to sample everything you should be OK :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #499 on: November 20, 2010, 08:53:35 AM »
ARE YOU MAD MAN!!!!  WORLD WIDE STOUT! :laugh:

only because it's five years old, so A) It shouldn't be a booze bomb and B) I can live vicariously through him, because I would give my left (but not right) nut for some vintage WWS. PLM, just don't close your trip with both the Saint Bernardus and the DFH WWS, that's a recipe for disaster :lol Those are definitely sipping beers, best consumed over a good while.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #500 on: November 20, 2010, 10:42:30 AM »
Yeah, some places let you sample and some don't... some also don't let you sample the more hardcore beers.

I loved the Blind Pig... also had a Fat Tire last night (that was literally the best option, which pisses me off), which was pretty good at this particular place on tap. Sometimes it sucks. It's not my favorite beer to begin with, so I'm picky. Also had a Great Divide Hibernation Ale, which was okay. Not really my style.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: November 20, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »
Here is the beer list for tomorrows tailgating at Foxboro.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #502 on: November 20, 2010, 01:54:15 PM »
Last night I started with another Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale with meatloaf leftovers. Then it was a 750 of Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale. This is one of the bottles I got from working BBF, and it was a pretty good saison. A bit of a changeup from the typical saison flavors as LA went heavy enough on spicing it with orange peel that citrus overtook spicy notes from the yeast, black pepper, and grains of paradise to become the predominant flavor. I checked in on my homebrew next and I'm still not happy with where this is. It'll probably be months before the hops die down enough to where I think the beer's approaching what I'm looking for from it. I only had half the glass before I decided to ditch it for another Sam Smith's
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: November 20, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »
Bill, was the Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale too strong on the citrus side or was it just enough to make it a pleasant drink.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #504 on: November 20, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »
No, I wouldn't say too strong on the citrus, but enough to make it interesting. I think the way I put it in my review was that I prefer the typical, spice forward saison flavor, but this would be a nice occasional change of pace saison. Almost how I prefer Coca Cola to Pepsi, but every once in a while a Pepsi really just hits the spot.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #505 on: November 21, 2010, 12:09:44 AM »
I am currently drinking Tommyknocker's Hop Strike, which is a black rye IPA... and VERY interesting. Smells great and just has a really nice, different taste to it. It's hoppy and chocolately and... rye-y?... at the same time. Also produces a nice burp (this is important). I think I am gonna have to try and get some more of this before I go back east.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #506 on: November 21, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
Just finished my work for the quarter and am celebrating being 2/3 done with grad school with a 2009 Alaskan Smoked Porter. This is really yummy; I can see why it won at the GABF. Gotta give it some more time to warm up, though.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #507 on: November 22, 2010, 08:10:02 AM »
I cracked my first bottle of Temptation last night (thanks again Jackie!), super tasty beer from Russian River. I'm gonna cellar my other bottle for a while and see what happens. Anybody else catch Brewmasters last night on Discovery? I thought it was pretty good.

Also, PLM hasn't posted in this thread since early Saturday. I'm starting to worry he hit the World Wide Stout too hard :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: November 22, 2010, 08:11:26 AM »
I blame you! :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #509 on: November 22, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »
 :lol

I have no TV so I did not see Brewmasters but Tony loved it so I'm gonna try and see if I can watch it online.

Glad you like the Temptation (did you know it traveled in my mom's boot? :lol). I put mine in the fridge last night finally, will probably drink it in the next couple of days.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: November 22, 2010, 11:08:31 AM »

I have no TV so I did not see Brewmasters but Tony loved it so I'm gonna try and see if I can watch it online.

Glad you like the Temptation (did you know it traveled in my mom's boot? :lol). I put mine in the fridge last night finally, will probably drink it in the next couple of days.

Mmmn.  Beer in a boot.  Sounds so familiar? :biggrin:

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #511 on: November 22, 2010, 11:11:57 AM »
Also, PLM hasn't posted in this thread since early Saturday. I'm starting to worry he hit the World Wide Stout too hard :lol

I ended up not going. It's a long story involving the theft of my debit card information. I'll see if I can go sometime in the next few weeks though

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #512 on: November 22, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
Oy, that sucks!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #513 on: November 23, 2010, 07:06:09 AM »
Had my Temptation in the bathtub last night  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: November 23, 2010, 08:30:02 AM »
Had my Temptation in the bathtub last night  :metal

What was his name? ;)

I've never had it.  I must search it out.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #515 on: November 23, 2010, 09:48:53 AM »

It is yummy! I suppose they don't sell it back east since Bill asked me to send it to him but I'm sure you can find a way to get your hands on it.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #516 on: November 23, 2010, 08:37:51 PM »
My perusal of recent posts was admittedly quick, but I didn't see any mention of Brew Masters on the Discovery Channel.  Anyone catch it?  I've enjoyed everything I've tried from Dogfish Head, except raison d'etre, and i thought the show was pretty entertaining.  It was a bit of a stretch, though, to buy into the significance of releasing a beer to coincide with the re-release of Miles Davis's Bitches Brew.  I dont see any connection besides the play on words used.  Nevertheless, I think I would like to try some of it if it is still available anywhere.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: November 23, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »
DVR'd.  I will watch it soon.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #518 on: November 23, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »

My perusal of recent posts was admittedly quick, but I didn't see any mention of Brew Masters on the Discovery Channel.  Anyone catch it?

Look about 7 posts up  :P

It was a bit of a stretch, though, to buy into the significance of releasing a beer to coincide with the re-release of Miles Davis's Bitches Brew.  I dont see any connection besides the play on words used. 

One word: fusion.

And yes, hunt it down. There's a new batch out, apparently. I still have one bottle from the last :)

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #519 on: November 23, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
I watched the show, thought it was pretty good. Jackie, I forget, did you hold on to one of your bottles for me?

No beer for me tonight, I was cooking and drinking port with my mom. I have a fairly epic lineup in place for Thursday though :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #520 on: November 23, 2010, 10:49:50 PM »
Yeah, I think I still have two in NJ.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: November 24, 2010, 05:35:09 AM »
Yeah, I think I still have two in NJ.

Jackie, the human squirel.  Hiding beers across the states in human tree huts.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #522 on: November 24, 2010, 08:02:02 AM »
 :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: November 24, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »
I KNEW IT!   Those poor Squirels are wondering, "Where the hell is my nuts and why isn't this squirel talking to me"?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: November 26, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »
Jackie.  My wife almost fell over at the Squirel koozies picture.