Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99397 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #385 on: October 09, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »
I didn't get a chance to try the last one (an espresso milk stout I believe) which I heard was *phenomenal*. This year's is called Oxymoron, right? Haven't seen that one on shelves anywhere. I'm about to crack their second beer in a series of four that they're releasing to raise money for a local landmark theater that burned down early this year. The first one was an Old Ale (spectacular), the second is what I'm having tonight and is a dubbel, the third is a big pilsner that just got released, and the final one will be a smoked imperial IPA.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #386 on: October 09, 2010, 07:48:14 PM »
That sounds awesome... and yeah, it's Oxymoron. I really need to get to the Left Hand brewery.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:01:25 PM by antigoon »

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #388 on: October 09, 2010, 08:48:31 PM »
quote fail... but DO IT, DO IT NAO
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #389 on: October 09, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »
Terrapin Double Feature was a little bit of a letdown. It was also a better beer than it was a dubbel (if that makes sense to you guys). Now it's time for a leftover pizza intermission before the Stone imperial stout.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #390 on: October 10, 2010, 12:40:04 AM »
:heart Stone IRS. Hard.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #392 on: October 10, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
So.  Where to begin.  We got to the Grill next Door at 6pm.

https://www.thegrillnextdoor.net/

I started out with a pint of Southern Tier Pumking (NY) 9% ABV.  They coated the rim with caramel and brown sugar.  I was in heaven with this beer.  The Salad with blue cheese came next (Blue cheese is my kryptonite).  Durring the salad, I ordered a sampler of 4 5oz beers.

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout (CO) 9.5% ABV (My favorite beer of the night.)
Kwak (Belgium) 9.6% ABV
Meantime Scotch Ale (England) 9% ABV
Ommegang Zuur (NY) 6% ABV(The most unique beer of the night)

My Baked Mac N Cheese and all it's delightful gooiness came.  So before we left there was time to get one more beer before my sister in law picked us up.  I had the Unibroue Maudite (Canada) 8% ABV. A great flavored red ale.

We then got next to the fire pic.  Cranked Rush tunes on ramdom from my brothers I-Pod and has a few Wolavers Will Stevens Pumpkin Ale and Stone Ruination IPA's.  I am too old for this much fun. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #393 on: October 10, 2010, 12:41:12 PM »
That sounds delicious and awesome.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #394 on: October 11, 2010, 11:25:42 PM »
Tried some Deschutes Mirror Pond pale ale, not bad but nothing stood out about it.

Currently drinking Boulder Kinda Blue, a blueberry wheat that is surprisingly yummy (not usually my type).

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #395 on: October 12, 2010, 12:07:06 AM »
I'm not drinking anything worth mentioning right now.

I did try a few North Coast brews last weekend that I had not tried before... Red Seal Ale (I liked it) and Scrimshaw Pilsner (didn't really care for).
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #396 on: October 12, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
Sounds like a good time the other night king. Zuur is definitely unique :lol I've only had one of the yetis once and enjoyed it, I should pick up some more one of these days.

Ya know, I don't think I've had any of North Coast's more regular, year round stuff. All I've had is Old Rasputin, Old Stock Ale, and Brother Thelonious.

I had my first Deschutes beer last night, a bottle or Mirror Mirror from 2009. My understanding is they double the recipe of Mirror Pond Ale to create an American barleywine. I like my American barleywines with some age on 'em, and I was surprised by how mellow Mirror Mirror was after only a year or so. The hops were still there, but the malt was definitely the star of the show. Great beer.

Photobucket sucks.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #397 on: October 12, 2010, 09:30:10 AM »
Axe I'm back in Boston for the night. What stores have a really good selection of craft brews?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #398 on: October 12, 2010, 09:32:51 AM »
My personal favorite has been Publick House Provisions on Beacon Street (Tappan St. stop in the C branch of the green line). They have arguably the best selection around, and if you go next door to American Craft or down a block to Publick House (both great beer bars) and have a round or two, you can bring your receipt to Provisions and get 10% off (all three places have the same owner).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #399 on: October 12, 2010, 09:51:10 AM »
Omg Bill we both may have been drinking our first Deschutes at the same time last night (mine was like 7-8 MT). SYNCHRONICITY.

Oh wait never mind, I think I tried one of their others last year.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #400 on: October 12, 2010, 09:54:54 AM »
Oh, so at some point last year I signed up for this quote of the day email but I usually delete it unless the topic catches my eye. This was today's newsletter (heard most of these before, but not the second one :lol):

BEER

It was on this day in 1810 that Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen, previously on the list of potential brides for Napoleon, married Ludwig I of Bavaria at the Theresienwiese, in suburban Munich. It wasn't called that at the time, the name came later in honor of the bride. After the service, they had a horse race, and they invited the whole town to join them for a beer or two. Ludwig went on to have a couple of famous mistresses, and was king of Bavaria from 1825 to 1848, but that's not why we remember the wedding. No, we remember the wedding for the beer, and the fact that the beer flows again every year in commemoration of that party. As you read this, the 200th Oktoberfest is being celebrated.

You can't be a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least, you need a beer.
     - Frank Zappa, 1940 - 1993

Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
     - Kaiser Wilhelm

I never drank anything stronger than beer, before I was twelve.
     - W. C. Fields, 1880 - 1946

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
     - Dave Barry

Payday came and with it beer.
     - Rudyard Kipling, 1865 - 1936

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
     - George Carlin, 1937 - 2008

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: October 12, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »
Bill, I was so drunk I thought I left you a message on your cell while I was at the place but I left the message on my buddy's phone. :lol   He called me up and gave me shit about it.  So yes, I had a great time. :laugh:

Bout.  Kaiser Wilhelm had it right!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #402 on: October 12, 2010, 11:15:59 AM »
Yeah, except I'll be the one doing the conquering  :yarr

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: October 12, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
My wife is a beer drinker so I must be her bitch! :laugh:

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #404 on: October 12, 2010, 11:20:16 AM »
That's fuckin' right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #405 on: October 12, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
that's how you *know* it was a good night king :lol :lol

I've seen a few of those quotes before, I found a poster with about twenty awesome beer quotes on it, but they don't get old to me.

A bit of a repost from the food thread, but I made meatloaf tonight and a gravy to go along with it where I used a 750 mL bottle of Ommegang Abbey Ale as the base... it was fantastic :hat I poured myself a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale to go with dinner (very good brown ale), and now I'm just finishing the bomber of Southern Tier's Backburner American barleywine that I've been working on for a while. It's a pretty solid beer, though the Mirror Mirror I had last night was definitely better.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #406 on: October 14, 2010, 12:38:15 AM »

I've heard good things about this... I'd like to try it sometime.

Any other recommended stouts that I should try?
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #407 on: October 14, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »
Colorado Fresh Hop Celebration in less than two days, woooo!

https://www.freshhopcelebration.com/

Breweries will be Left Hand, Oskar Blues, Deschutes, Full Sail, Sierra Nevada, Ska, Tommyknocker, and Strange. Can't fucking wait. I will be a mess by 2 PM.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #408 on: October 14, 2010, 07:54:42 PM »

depends, what state do you live in (so I can figure out what's available to you)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #409 on: October 14, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »

depends, what state do you live in (so I can figure out what's available to you)

Northern Indiana

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #410 on: October 15, 2010, 01:34:20 PM »

Northern Indiana

Definitely grab some Stone IRS, it's a very good stout if a bit hoppy for the style (a hoppy beer from Stone, no wai! :neverusethis:). Brooklyn Brewery also looks like it distributed in your state, their Black Chocolate Stout  should be hitting shelves for the season soon and it's probably my favorite stout out there. North Coast also makes an RIS called Old Rasputin that's pretty solid (though inferior to Brooklyn BCS in my mind). Samuel Smith out of England makes both an Oatmeal Stout that I've had and is very good, and an imperial stout that I haven't had but is supposed to also be pretty tasty. Founders in all likelihood distributes to you as well, and their breakfast stout (coffee oatmeal stout) is awesome. Stouts (and especially imperial stouts) are some of my favorite beers, and one thing I've started doing is drinking them closer to room temperature than fridge temperature, I find them to be a bit more rich and smooth (less alcohol heat) when they're not as cold.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:22:07 PM by axeman90210 »
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: October 15, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »
Bill, I got out of work today and went to my little store for some beers for the tailgating Sunday and there was sampling going on for Brooklyn Beer tasting! :metal  Home run!! I knocked down a few dixie sips of #1 and #2 (which I bought a bottle for the tailgating) and a few others.  So it was a win/win for me!

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #412 on: October 15, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »
My dad and I started brewing today. Everything went smooth though my dad melted the airlock for the primary fermenter by accident.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #413 on: October 15, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
good man, :heart those beers (especially Local 1). I actually just picked up a bottle of that to take to my aunt and uncle's for dinner on Sunday. They drink mostly wine, but they should be open to trying some. On vacation this summer I gave my uncle a little bit of stout to enjoy with some chocolate he had and he was still talking about it the next day :lol Out of curiosity, what does a bottle of Local 1 go for up by you?

Carl, one more stout I forgot to mention is Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. As the name implies, it's an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels and it really is phenomenal. It's like a big chocolate milkshake with some bourbon poured in.

Last night I went to Basil T's in Red Bank. One New Jersey magazine named it the best brewpub in the state so my parents and I went to check it out. To be honest, while the beer was decent, I think they got named that much more for the food. It's an italian grill/brew pub and the food was phenomenal. Only problem was that it's pretty expensive ($24 for pasta in bolognese sauce), though all the pasta is made on the premises daily. I had their pale ale, which was serviceable but unremarkable, their amber ale that I thought had a funny aftertaste that almost reminded  me of the little sour kick in a dry irish stout like Guinness, and then I ordered their extra special bitter but I think they brought me their american wheat, which was also just alright. I was bummed that their dry irish stout, which has won some medals out at GABF wasn't available.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: October 15, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
My dad and I started brewing today. Everything went smooth though my dad melted the airlock for the primary fermenter by accident.

I've got to get off my ass and brew, minus the melting.  Let us know how it goes orc.

Bill, $8.50, no bottle crap in N.H. :metal

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #415 on: October 15, 2010, 06:22:44 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Axe.  I've had the Old Rasp, and it's very good.  I pick that up occasionally when I don't feel like trying anything new.  I went ahead and picked up a Stones IRS, so I'm (hopefully) going to enjoy that tonight  :D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: October 15, 2010, 08:21:58 PM »
Bill, #2 was the bomb!!! :metal  Lisa and I loved it.  I've had #1 a bunch of times but never #2. I'm glad I got it.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #417 on: October 16, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
Went on a daytrip to Bruges today, so I grabbed a variety of really strong belgian beers (all in the 10-12% range) for tonight.

I shall report to findings of my study tomorrow.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #418 on: October 16, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
In fucking Bruges?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #419 on: October 16, 2010, 03:35:16 PM »
In fucking Bruges.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.