Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99352 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #665 on: April 09, 2011, 05:31:39 PM »
Why is that amazing?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: April 09, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
Because no one in the whole world speaks dutch.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #667 on: April 09, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »
But that's what the beer is called... what else would I type?

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #668 on: April 09, 2011, 06:20:11 PM »
That's a damn nice haul there Sigz. I did a bit of barleywine shopping today and scooped up a few bottles of Firestone Walker's limited release barrel aged barleywine Abacus, as well as a four pack of Weyerbacher's Insanity, another barrel aged barleywine. I've been waiting for a while now for Abacus to make it to NJ, can't wait to pick a night and savor a bottle for a couple hours.

Tonight I begin with the last of my second four pack of the spring of Allagash White. 
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #669 on: April 09, 2011, 10:48:29 PM »
Great haul Sigz!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #670 on: April 09, 2011, 11:12:28 PM »
Just about done with Southampton's Saison Faucille. It's a mixed grain saison brewed with barley, oats, wheat, and rye, and while it isn't bad, it doesn't live up to the only other brew of this kind I've had, Pretty Things' Field Mouse's Farewell.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #671 on: April 12, 2011, 12:20:05 PM »
Had the Delerium Red and the Hel & Verdoemenis the other night. The Delerium Red was quite interesting, kind of a standard Belgian brown ale but with a heavy cherry flavoring. I'm not the biggest fan of cherry, but it was still good. The Hel & Verdoemenis was all right, it was a pretty spicy imperial stout. I'd like to try it again sometime, I feel like I wasn't in the mood for it last time, especially after the Delerium.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #672 on: April 12, 2011, 12:51:43 PM »
My favorite beers at the moment:

Molson Canadian
Shock Top
Magic Hat #9
Monty Python's Holy Ale
Coors Classic

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #673 on: April 12, 2011, 10:15:36 PM »
One out of those five beers doesn't make me want to pimp smack you  :xbones
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #674 on: April 15, 2011, 09:56:18 AM »
I posted this is the DTF Side Chat Thread, and was directed here. I could use the insight:

Recently I've been trying a world of beers/ales/lagers/stout etc. and I've come to the conclusion that I'm an Ale/Stout man. My favorites so far have been Hobgoblin, Old Rasputin, Chimay and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

Any recommendations on what to try next?

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #675 on: April 15, 2011, 10:11:26 AM »
I know axeman will have a good list of what to try, but my suggestion would be the Stone Russian Imperial Stout.  That's a pretty good one.  Also, if you have it in your area, New Holland's Dragon's Milk is a very good bourbon barrel aged stout.

And welcome to the thread  :)
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #676 on: April 15, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »
Thanks, it's good to be here. I've tried Dragon's Milk before, sadly didn't do much for me. I thought it had too much of a cream taste for me, course it could be the name that threw me off.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #677 on: April 15, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »
The Delerium Bar in Brussels is the greatest bar ever and was god's final creation before he rested. I shall come back later with a full report, I'm going back to drink more amazing beer.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #678 on: April 15, 2011, 10:33:29 PM »
@THED6... A couple recommendations would be  St. Bernardus 12, Three Philosophers, Boulevard The Sixth Glass, and Rochefort  10 (similar to Chimay Blue), and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Victory Storm King, and Oskar Blues Ten Fidy. I also highly recommend Beer Advocate (beeradvocate.com), it's a great resource for learning more about beer. You can look up beers, see how highly they're rated, and then find other beers in a similar style. You can also use it to find good beer stores and bars in your area.

I hit up the local good beer bar with my cousin tonight, as we were a bit overdue for a session. My lineup for the night was Hacker Pschorr Weiss (mediocre), Allagash White  (:heart), Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA on draft (delicious), and Firestone Walker Abacus barrel aged English barleywine (possibly a top 10 all time beer for me, so glad I managed to get my hands on 3, soon to be 4 bottles). I was somewhat dismayed to find that they had updated the list of beers one had to drink to finish the Master's in Beer Appreciation program and in the process gotten rid of most of the shitty beers on the list. The problem with that is I had set out to get the shitty beers out of the way early, and had suffered through swill the likes of Labatt Blue. Now, I got credit for a beer on the new list for each beer on the old list I had checked off, but in most cases I would have been happier having the new beer than the one I actually had :lol
Photobucket sucks.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #679 on: April 17, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »
^You sir, know your shit.

If I ever have a question about anything alcoholic I'm going to you FIRST. Thanks for the info. and I shall use it wisely. We have this place nearby called Prestige Liquors. I don't know if it's a chain, but it's got some great selections. I'll bring your list with me next time I have expendables on me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: April 22, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
Happy birthday to me!!

Well my brother and sister in law got me for my B-Day in March a beer club of the month and the first batch came in today!

Floreffe--- Tripel   A 7.5%.  I says it's brewed with cane sugar.  It's bottled in Belgum

Penn Brewery-- Marzen  A 4.5% A spring beer from Pittsburgh, Pa.

Dominion-- Oak Barrel Stout  6.1% vanilla fermented stout from Dover Delaware.

Last,  Belhaven Scottish Ale.  The only beer out of these I've had.  5.2% from Scotland.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #681 on: April 22, 2011, 05:28:43 PM »
^Great haul, King.

Recently tried Leine's Limited Lager. Not bad at all. Much smoother than their regular selections.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #682 on: April 22, 2011, 09:29:13 PM »
Nice haul indeed. All those beers have pretty solid reviews on BA and it's a nice range of styles. Not too much crazy for me on the beer front lately. I recently tried Gnomegang (collaboration Belgian Strong Pale Ale from Ommegang and Achouffe), which was pretty good, and Ovila Dubbel (new dubbel which is the first in a series of Belgian/Abbey ales from Sierra Nevada) which was a bit of a letdown. I'll be bringing a couple bottles of Pretty Things Fluffy White Rabbits and my one bottle of fresh Kentucky Breakfast Stout to Easter dinner on Sunday.
Photobucket sucks.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #683 on: April 22, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
Breakfast Stout? You have my attention. Do tell more.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #684 on: April 22, 2011, 10:33:55 PM »
Founders makes a beer (which you might be able to find on shelves) called Founders Breakfast Stout. They brew an oatmeal stout (a particular kind of stout brewed with oats... they don't add much in the way of flavor, but leave the beer with a fantastic silky body/mouthfeel) and infuse it with some coffee. Coffee + Oatmeal = breakfast stout. They then make two other versions of this beer. One is Kentucky Breakfast Stout, it's the same recipe idea (though the exact specifics aren't the same), and then the beer is aged in bourbon barrels (hence Kentucky). It's released in limited quantites in bottles once a year and despite its high cost ($20+ for a four pack, or often $6+ for single bottles) often times doesn't even make it to shelves, with stores having waiting lists in excess of their meager allotments. A final version of the beer is Canadian Breakfast Stout. It's the same idea as KBS, but the beer is instead aged in barrels that first held bourbon, but more recently held maple syrup. As of now it's currently draft only, and basically the equivalent of seeing a unicorn. Rumor has it though that in about a year they'll have scraped together enough for a release in 750mL (wine sized) bottles.

Well... you said to tell you more :lol
Photobucket sucks.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #685 on: April 22, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
And I expected nothing less. That's going on the list too. Chances are even if I try my best, I'll still never end up tasting it, but at least I'll have something to shoot for.

Should I have bacon with it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: April 23, 2011, 04:51:08 AM »
That stout is a little slice of heaven.The one time I got my hands on it I,

So ever two months I'll get a 12 pack of new beers for a year.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #687 on: April 23, 2011, 07:48:14 AM »
And I expected nothing less. That's going on the list too. Chances are even if I try my best, I'll still never end up tasting it, but at least I'll have something to shoot for.

Should I have bacon with it?

Well the Founders Breakfast Stout may well still be available, wouldn't shock me. KBS was just released last March, so bottles won't be around until next year. Keep your eye out though, not every bar that gets a keg puts it on right in March. Release for CBS is still up in the air, but with a little advanced knowledge you could be able to get your hands on some. It's always helpful to be on good terms with the beer manager at at least one liquor store, they can often times give you a heads up or hold bottles of rare releases for you. At this point I get my hands on rare stuff by a combination of being a good enough customer at one store that the beer manager sends me personal emails when new stuff comes out, and then just a little bit of hustle with calling/checking online for other stores in the area.

I have had breakfast stouts before with breakfast, and they're good, but sometimes a bit much for me first thing in the morning (usually 8%+ ABV). For my money, a nice citrusy, spritzy witbier is the way to go with a plate of eggs and bacon, it just takes the place of orange juice. Also, there's no coffee in it, but especially as someone who likes stouts you should pick up some of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. No coffee, but it'll give you a good idea of what oats does to a beer, and it's a wonderful, widely available beer from a brewery in England.
Photobucket sucks.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #688 on: April 23, 2011, 05:26:36 PM »
Also, there's no coffee in it, but especially as someone who likes stouts you should pick up some of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. No coffee, but it'll give you a good idea of what oats does to a beer, and it's a wonderful, widely available beer from a brewery in England.

I love Samuel Smith's!!! Anytime I go to the Meijer in town or Prestige I always go straight for it to make sure they still stock it. I once had it with overeasy eggs & crisp bacon. There are few moments in life that make me smile over food, and that was one of them.

o/

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: April 23, 2011, 08:40:26 PM »
Alright these beer are going down during the B's/Habs game.  Also it was nice to down a Brooklyn Local 1.  Yea, I'm buzzed.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #690 on: April 26, 2011, 08:30:41 PM »
Epic beer day today. Started off at one bar that was having a tap takeover event with Kuhnhenn Brewery out of Michigan. I first had a hefeweizen and tangerine wit for them that were a bit underwhleming. Then though, I got to a couple of beers that are ranked in Beer Advocate's Top 100 Beers in the World, and were the reasons I even went in the first place. First up was Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia, a bourbon barrel aged old ale. Holy hell, rich and malty and delicious, and, for what I believe is a relatively fresh brew, insanely smooth at 13.5%. Next was a raspberry eisbock they're fairly well known for. I believe I overheard the bar owner telling the bartender that this keg alone ran them $800 as it's one of the last remaining in the brewery's stash from when they made it back in 2007. To me it didn't quite live up to the BB4D, but it was like drinking a raspberry truffle. Very clean raspberry taste up front, with milk chocolate coming in at the end. From there I went to another beer bar that was having an Oskar Blues night. There I had a Deviant Dale, an imperial version of their Dale's Pale Ale, Old Chub scotch ale aged on Hungarian Oak, and Old Double Bagger american barleywine. The Old Chub was easily the standout, the rich coffee and chocolate notes complemented by just a touch of smoke.

Oh, and before the beer started flowing I hit some bottle shops and picked up some sours from Goose Island that were aged in wine barrels with raspberries and cherries respectively. A belated happy birthday to me :D
Photobucket sucks.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #691 on: April 30, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
BUMP

It's been a good beer week. I cracked bottles of Goose Island Lolita (wine barrel aged wild ale with raspberries, which was just OK), Goose Island Madame Rose (wild brown ale aged on cherries, very good), and Firestone Walker Abacus (delicious, but not quite as mind blowing as the draft version I had a few weeks ago). Today my local beer store had a class on hoppy Belgian ales that went quite well. The official beer list was Thiriez Extra, Hop Ruiter, Urthel Hop It, Great Divide Belgica, De Ranke XX Bitter, Flying Dog Raging Bitch, and Houblon Chouffe. Everything was at least good, if not better. Then, the beer rep leading the class busted out a couple bottles of a brew called Lambrucha that he brought special for the class. It's a blend of young lambic and kombucha tea (a fermented tea sometimes utilizing wild yeast/bacteria). The result was a refreshingly acidic 3.5%ABV beer that I thought was quite tasty, but many people dumped by about halfway through the glass :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #692 on: May 16, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
MEGA BUMP

So yesterday was a bar sponsored trip to Dogfish Head. Everyone arrived at the bar by 7am, and the bus left at 7:30 with about 45 of us on board with a freshly tapped keg of 60 minute IPA and a case of Hellhound On My Ale (new DIPA brewed with lemons) to keep us company (and Super Troopers and Anchorman for our viewing pleasure :D). We got to the production brewery at 11 and had a tour and a quick tasting. After some time for souvenir shopping it was on the the brewpub at Rehoboth beach. We had two hours of free pizzas and beer on tap, and I had Sah'tea (brewed with juniper berries and chai tea, delicious), Red & Black (imperial stout made with mint and raspberries, a little over minted for my taste but not bad), Palo Santo Marron (such a wonderful beer), and Hellhound On My Ale (I really dug the lemon + citrus hops combo). The bus ride home took a bit longer than the one coming down due to traffic and an extended stop at a rest area once people realized at least one person had puked on the bus (amateurs :lol) so it could be cleaned. We still got back to the bar though in time for me to enjoy a glass of 2007 Stone Imperial Russian Stout before heading home. Next trip is to Victory some time in July... can't wait :D
Photobucket sucks.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #693 on: May 16, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »
Paulaner

best ever
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #694 on: May 16, 2011, 01:23:52 PM »
idk, I :heart Weihenstephan and Schneider as far as German breweries go.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: May 16, 2011, 02:08:16 PM »
MEGA BUMP

So yesterday was a bar sponsored trip to Dogfish Head. Everyone arrived at the bar by 7am, and the bus left at 7:30 with about 45 of us on board with a freshly tapped keg of 60 minute IPA and a case of Hellhound On My Ale (new DIPA brewed with lemons) to keep us company (and Super Troopers and Anchorman for our viewing pleasure :D). We got to the production brewery at 11 and had a tour and a quick tasting. After some time for souvenir shopping it was on the the brewpub at Rehoboth beach. We had two hours of free pizzas and beer on tap, and I had Sah'tea (brewed with juniper berries and chai tea, delicious), Red & Black (imperial stout made with mint and raspberries, a little over minted for my taste but not bad), Palo Santo Marron (such a wonderful beer), and Hellhound On My Ale (I really dug the lemon + citrus hops combo). The bus ride home took a bit longer than the one coming down due to traffic and an extended stop at a rest area once people realized at least one person had puked on the bus (amateurs :lol) so it could be cleaned. We still got back to the bar though in time for me to enjoy a glass of 2007 Stone Imperial Russian Stout before heading home. Next trip is to Victory some time in July... can't wait :D

Awe man I am so jealous.  Lisa and I want so bad to go there.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #696 on: May 16, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »
Note to self, never enter beer thread BEFORE YOUR FUCKING SHIFT STARTS!!!!

(I so wish I had a beer right.....about.....now :( )

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #697 on: May 16, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »
MEGA BUMP

Awe man I am so jealous.  Lisa and I want so bad to go there.

You guys should go down for a weekend. The brewpub is right by the beach, and the production brewery is maybe like a 15 minute drive away.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: May 16, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »
My brother says he might this year when he stays at the same place you do on the coast last year, the Outer Banks.  He's thinking of a side trek.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #699 on: May 16, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »
Yeah, it's really not too far out of the way on the drive there/home. Only problem is the crazy crowd that'll probably be there on a summer weekend.
Photobucket sucks.