Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99357 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #595 on: January 15, 2011, 07:33:42 AM »
Picked up a 70 cl bottle of Leffe Brune (Brown) today. I've only ever had the blonde before, but it's one of my favorite belgian beers so I'm really psyched to try it out.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #596 on: January 15, 2011, 09:17:48 AM »
Whelp, I definitely approve of that beer.  :hat

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #597 on: January 16, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »
Almost all set to go on the homebrewing front, except the stupid supply store mailed me a one ounce bag of hops instead of a half pound bag. My replacement better be here in time for Friday night's brewing :D Saturday I'll be doing a daylong trip into PA with my cousin to buy some beer and visit Monk's Cafe for a late lunch. I'll be cracking a 750 if Ithaca's 12th Anniversary quad for the Jets game today, hopefully it won't be blended with my tears by the end :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #598 on: January 17, 2011, 07:58:25 AM »
I've always read of Monk's Cafe.  You must give us your review Bill.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #599 on: January 19, 2011, 11:27:59 PM »
Well, brewday is gonna be delayed at least through the weekend due to my hops not getting here in time. Still set to go to PA on Saturday though, and possibly meet PLM for a beer at Monk's.

Oh, and my Ithaca Twelve was tear free and awesome on Sunday :D
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #600 on: January 22, 2011, 12:10:34 PM »
Trying a Well's Banana Bread Beer right now; it's really interesting. The banana is really light, almost citrusy. It works really well.

Also, have a Brewdog Punk IPA in the fridge for tomorrow night :caffeine:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: January 22, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »
Went to a soup shop tonight and the wife and I shared a Dogfish Head Chickory Stout.  Man they make great beers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #602 on: January 23, 2011, 08:52:27 AM »
Found that our cellar is the perfect temperature to bottom ferment something in right now, and the weather is supposed to be exactly like this for over a week, so late last evening we decided to brew a bayer today in addition to the planned bitter-brewing. Oh yeaaah.
The name of our bitter will be "The World's About To End". Points for reference ;)

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #603 on: January 23, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
 :metal

I've tried a lot since I last posted in here, such as everything at Port 44 in Newark, NJ (get yo ass over there, Bill). My two favorites were Devil's Red and the stout (forget the name) but most of them were good. The only one I didn't dig was the pomegranate wheat, too sweet. But even the Goldfinch ale was yummy (I was expecting more boring), and I'm usually not a wheat fan but that one was good too. We went back for the new scotch ale they just put on tap Tuesday, and that was pretty good (I only tried it because I'm not usually into those but Tony really liked it).

Tonight I got to have the Wynkoop's Mile HiPA, which was even better than the last time they had it on tap. I even took a growler home :D
God, the smell is just so good.

I'm pissed though, I got some beers in Jersey City that I forgot to bring to Tony's parents' place (including that coffee Terrapin stuff) so now I'm not sure if they'll be good when I go back that way. May have to convince him to mail them.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #604 on: January 23, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
So my weekend started with a trip into NYC to do an in person trade over lunch on Thursday. Left with a couple bottles each of Boulevard Brewing's  quad aged on cherries in bourbon barrels and brettanomyces infused saison, as well as a year old bottle of Deschutes cocoa nib/coffee infused bourbon barrel aged porter. Friday was a brewday, and I have a massive double IPA happily fermenting away as we speak. Saturday was a day long roadtrip into Pennsylvania with my cousin. We hit up a distributor for a case of Hopslam (fucking delicious once a year release from Bell's), then a rare PA bottle shop where I got a 3.5 year old wild ale from Ommegang among other treats (could have spent way more money, but ended up behaving myself because the place was way overpriced). Final stop was a well known Belgian beer bar in downtown Philly that was a pretty cool visit. We then headed home and to the Cloverleaf for dinner. In my stupidity I lost my MBA card, so I'll have to choke down a Palm and Stella Artois again at some point in the future. I started off with a tasty Weihenstephaner hefe, before choking down a severely skunked Pilsner Urquell. Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale was a nice accompaniment for dinner before capping my night with another glass of *delicious* Rodenbach Grand Cru. Tonight was a bottle of Southampton's quad for the Jets game (:() and now some Hopslam to try and numb the pain.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #605 on: January 26, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
Monday night a took a trip to a Belgian beer bar in NYC for a special Brooklyn night. I had on tap Brooklyn Blast (Double IPA), Dark Matter (bourbon barrel aged brown ale), 2007 Monster Ale, and 2007 Black Chocolate Stout. In addition, Garrett Oliver and some other people from the brewery showed up and started pouring what they call "ghost bottles", stuff that was bottled but never made available for purchase. They poured bottles of the original 2006 test batch of Local 1, Local 1 aged on Riesling lees (what's left behind in the barrels after wine is made), Wild 1 (wild, bourbon barrel aged Local 1), and bottles of a new collaboration with an Italian brewery. They also had bottles of 1997(!) Black Chocolate Stout, but they  brewery staff basically hoarded them for themselves :lol I came home and, despite being pretty drunk cracked a 12% maple bourbon barrel aged barleywine. Founders Nemesis 2009, despite being a year old, is still a bit boozy.

Last night I cracked a bottle of Hopslam when I got home from work (absolutely delicious) and then after dinner a bomber of Terrapin's Hoptaneous Combustion. It's a smoked double IPA and a fairly unique brew. They almost pulled it off, but the smoky finish blots out a bit too much of the hop flavor.

5 days after brewing my Double IPA has just about finished fermenting out. A couple more days  and I'll be ready to add in the dry hops :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: January 26, 2011, 07:57:44 PM »
 Wild 1 (wild, bourbon barrel aged Local 1) :omg:  *Homer drools*

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #607 on: January 26, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »
Wild 1 (wild, bourbon barrel aged Local 1) :omg:  *Homer drools*

Yeah, pretty much. Fingers are crossed for a commercial release of that one later this year
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #608 on: January 26, 2011, 09:55:03 PM »
Wynkoop Mile HI.P.A.

Tastes better every time I drink it.

And more cannabis-like.

:heart :heart

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #609 on: January 29, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »
just got back from Southampton's Russian Imperial Stout release party. My cousin and I got up at 4am to drive out to Long Island and get on line. We got out allotments of bottles (I ended up with some of my cousin's bottles as well) plus a signed copy of the Southampton brewmaster's book on Farmhouse Ales, and then sat down in the dining room for lunch and a few rounds. All in all a very smooth release party with lots of good beer, and they even got us complimentary snifters commemorating the day. Now it's time for a nap :D
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #610 on: January 31, 2011, 10:34:59 PM »
started tonight by dumping almost half a pound of hops into my double IPA for some dry hopping. Kicked off drinking with some Hopslam, before cracking a bottle of Deschuted Black Butte XXI. It's an imperial, 11% version of their regular Black Butte porter, infused with coffee and cocoa nibs and partially aged in bourbon barrels. They've released it as an anniversary beer starting with Black Butte XX is 2008, and the XXI is drinking incredibly right now. One of the best beers I've had in a good while.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #611 on: February 01, 2011, 12:21:39 AM »
Sweet! I remember trying the Black Butte, last year I think it was.

I just tried Rogue's Yellow Snow IPA, which started out more yummy than I expected but got a little more... boring as time went on.

And now I'm finally drinking the Founder's Nemesis 2010 I've had since September and wooooo. I have trouble with barleywines but it's pretty good. Not as strong as I expected for 12% but still strong.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #612 on: February 01, 2011, 07:02:22 AM »
Yeah I really liked Founders 2010 Nemesis (2009 not so much, at least yet). I had to go back to my reviews to check though, because Sierra Nevada released one of their 30th anniversary beers that was a black barleywine at the same time and I always get the two confused. Funny enough, the SN brew ended up with a slightly higher score even though I thought the Founders one tasted better, just because Sierra's scored a bit higher for things like look and mouthfeel.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #613 on: February 01, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if that was the one they were serving at the Wynkoop Parade of Darks. I can't keep track of all this shit :lol

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #614 on: February 01, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
So in planning my travels for this easter break, I found a bar in Brussels that serves 2000 different beers.

Not just buckets, but casks were come.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: February 01, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
So in planning my travels for this easter break, I found a bar in Brussels that serves 2000 different beers.

Is that some of the pics you friends posted of you on FB?  2000 beers. *Mind Blown*

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #616 on: February 02, 2011, 10:25:01 PM »
Picked up some Odell Cutthroat Porter, which was my favorite at the factory last year. Hadn't had it in a while and just read it was voted one of the best CO beers from a local magazine so decided to pick some up :D

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #617 on: February 03, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
I had a really good beer the other weekend..I think its called Paulener.. very good German beer
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #618 on: February 03, 2011, 01:05:15 PM »

Is that some of the pics you friends posted of you on FB?  2000 beers. *Mind Blown*

No, that was from Amsterdam. But yeah, 2000 beers.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #619 on: February 04, 2011, 11:05:31 PM »
no beer for me tonight, but last night I had some more Hopslam and then a bottle of a beer called Van Twee. It's a collaboration between Bell's brewery and de Proef (a Belgian brewer). They brewed a dark hybrid of a porter/dubbel and added a ton of sour cherry juice and fermented it with brettanomyces. Incredibly tasty beer :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #620 on: February 06, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »
What's everyone drinking tonight for the Super Bowl? It's gonna be a steady diet of Hopslam for me :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #621 on: February 06, 2011, 06:06:42 PM »
After I finish this Stella Artois :blush it's on to Jameson for me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: February 06, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »
Finnished a few Smuttynose from a mixed 12 pack.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #623 on: February 20, 2011, 07:56:34 AM »
BUMP

Not going to recap all my recent drinking adventures, but Tuesday night I went into Brooklyn as I had won invites for me and my cousin to the release/expansion party at the Brooklyn Brewery. We began the night with a couple rounds of the release half of the party, their new Brewmaster's Reserve beer Main Engine Start. It was the first beer they brewed on their new system, and it's a rather tasty abbey single. They had a bunch of other stuff on tap as well and I quickly saw to getting myself in a bit of trouble :lol A glass of Weiss, a glass of Blast double IPA, and two Black Chocolate Stouts later I was feeling pretty damn good. We left the party and stopped in a bar on the way back to the subway and had a round of Rodenbach Vintage (sour belgian amber/brown ale) before finally heading home. I wasn't in the best shape the next morning, but it was definitely worth it :metal

Homebrewed DIPA went into bottles last weekend and should be good to go soon, and I've got some awesome hoppy beers and sours in the fridge :hat Also, booked a hotel room for Extreme Beer Fest in Boston next month, should be a fairly epic weekend.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #624 on: February 20, 2011, 07:58:35 AM »
Had a Chimay the other night, probably the best beer I've had so far. SO GOOD I NEED TO FIND MORE

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: February 20, 2011, 08:03:35 AM »
Sigz, you can never go wrong will any Chimay.

Bill.  My brother waited too long and we couldn't get tickets for March.  We'll go to the one in June. :'(

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #626 on: February 20, 2011, 08:27:32 AM »
Red, White, or Blue label Chimay Sigz?

king: Yeah, the tickets actually sold out in about 8 hours (whereas for every previous festival they had lasted at least a couple weeks). ACBF tickets for June are now on sale.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #627 on: February 20, 2011, 08:28:21 AM »
Red.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #628 on: February 20, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »
The Red is very good, you should try a Blue sometime soon. It's basically an amped up version of Red. White, on the otherhand is a very different kind of beer (as a tripel it's much lighter in color and more about hop/yeast flavors). Tonight I had a super fresh Troeg's Nugget Nectar (tasty) and just now finished a bomber of Firestone Walker's Double Jack Double IPAs. It's up there with Pliny the Elder as one of the best of its kind.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #629 on: February 20, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »
Yeah I'd definitely like to, the only problem is trying to find it. I'd heard of it before I even came here, but thus far the only place I've seen it was at the club I saw Kayo Dot at  :sadpanda: