Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99350 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #560 on: December 22, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »
I had me a few DABs the other night..very good
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #561 on: December 23, 2010, 02:54:21 AM »
The last memorable beer I had was the New Belgium Trippel.  Not too bad.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #562 on: December 23, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »
I enjoyed that one!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #563 on: December 23, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »
I spent a few hours last night nursing my own 750 of Ommegang 3 Philosophers... really wish I had taken it out of the fridge a while before I was going to open it, because it was much better as it approached room temperature. The blending of a litttle bit of kriek (the bottle says 98% Ale 2% Ale on cherries) gives it a unique touch for a quad.

So there's a brewery, the New England Brewing Company, that releases an imperial stout every winter called Imperial Stout Trooper. For the first 3 years of release (running up through last year) the bottle label looked like this

Eventually they got a cease and desist letter from George Lucas and friends for the label (but not the name). All year people have been wondering what the redesigned label would look like, and we finally have our answer :D

Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #564 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »
$17!! :omg:  It better be good.  I love the Groucho look!

I've got to be a good boy and drink only 12 packs that are on sale till I find a job so I'm drinking a Long Trail Hibernator right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #565 on: December 23, 2010, 10:27:19 PM »
They sell it at the brewery for a week or two before sending it out for distrobution (they may even still be selling it for all I know), and it's only $12.99 there. I scored one bottle of last year's batch and it was alright at first, but its deliciousness really came through once it warmed. I got in contact with a NJ beer advocate who drove up to the brewery and bought two cases, and he's gonna hook me up with five bottles in exchange for some stuff from my cellar.

Tonight I had another Terrapin Moo Hoo (really liking this beer, too bad it's only going to be a seasonal), part of a Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout (rest of the bottle went into a batch of brownies), and a bomber of Terrapin's new Side Project beer Big Daddy Vladdy. It's a Russian Imperial Stout, and it's alright, but it tastes a bit young. I'll probably stick another bottle or two in the cellar, because I really do think it has some potential, but just needs some time to mellow out and come together.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #566 on: December 26, 2010, 07:57:33 PM »
sipping tonight on my first bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout. I'm sure I've waxed poetic in the past about what a rich, chocolaty, bourbon-y delight regular Bourbon County Stout is, and this is a special release of that beer that was aged on vanilla beans. It's absolutely delicious :D

I got a ton of beer from family for Christmas, and the one major surprise was my parents finding a bottle of Brewdog's Sink the Bismarck, a freeze-distilled barrel aged imperial stout that clocks in at 32%ABV. When it was released a  year or two ago it was the "highest ABV beer in the world" (though some, including myself, might balk at calling it truly a beer). I also got a bunch of DFH beer to add to my cellar for an ongoing experiment/adventure where I aim on documenting how some of Dogfish's big beers change with age on them. Specifically I'll be looking at World Wide Stout, Olde School Barleywine, and Palo Santo Marron.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #567 on: December 28, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
Jeeze, 32%!?

So uh, Bill... about sommadat Imperial Stout Trooper in exchange for the Temptation I got you...  :P

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #568 on: December 28, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »
i wanna try some stuff while partying for new years. bill can i have some suggestions?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #569 on: December 28, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »
What kinda stuff you lookin' for?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #570 on: December 28, 2010, 11:56:07 PM »
@Jackie: Definitely. I'm supposed to be getting my bottles shortly after the new year. Make your way down here for a hang out session and you can have one :P

@PLM: First thing that came to my mind was it could be cool to do a night of Chimay. Check out the red (dubbel), white (tripel), and then crack a bottle of the blue (quad) at midnight.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #571 on: December 29, 2010, 02:01:36 AM »
My local bottle-o sells a nice 750ml bottle of Duuvel. picked one up tonight. Such a reliable brewery. Beautiful Belgium golden, just like Delirium. God I want to go to Belgium one day  :biggrin:
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #572 on: December 29, 2010, 04:58:54 AM »
Chimay red is by the way an excellent beer choice if you're having turkey for new years! Soooo good combination.

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #573 on: December 29, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »
I would bet. I had Chimay Blue with some nice steak for dinner on Christmas Day, and it was *awesome*

tonight I led off with a Dogfish Head Punkin, if for no other reason than to make room in my fridge and get another bottle for homebrewing. Then I had a bottle of each of my batches of homebrew I have lying around, a hoppy brown ale and an imperial stout. The hoppy brown is alright, but I don't think I'll be sharing much of it (at least if I'm not there to handle it) because there's way too much yeast left in each bottle. The imperial stout I think will be good, but it's probably still a little green. I closed the night with another bottle of Terrapin Moo Hoo, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite winter seasonal beers.

I spent some of my free time today working out the details and putting together a shopping list for my next homebrew batch. It's going to be a big double IPA, brewed with all simcoe and amarillo hops. It's also going to be my first crack at using grains and mashing in instead of just using dry malt extract :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #574 on: December 30, 2010, 12:59:04 PM »
I want that Terrapin, dammit.

@Jackie: Definitely. I'm supposed to be getting my bottles shortly after the new year. Make your way down here for a hang out session and you can have one :P

I'm leaving Saturday  :sadpanda: :sadpanda:
Just save me one... and I still have your Bitches Brew!

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #575 on: December 30, 2010, 01:40:35 PM »
Tonight (after work), if I feel well enough, I have a Southern Tier Big Red sitting around I'd like to try.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #576 on: December 30, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »
I want that Terrapin, dammit.

I'm leaving Saturday  :sadpanda: :sadpanda:
Just save me one... and I still have your Bitches Brew!

boo hiss :(

Tonight's main event was a half liter bottle of Aventinus. Such a delicious beer, and a freaking steal at ~$4 a bottle. Following it up with a 2009 Brooklyn Monster Ale (English barleywine). It's alright, but a bit too boozy/young for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: December 31, 2010, 06:01:46 AM »
I just saw the Monster Ale at one of the two places I shop at, yestersday.  My wife and I would rather drink fine beer then champagne.  Don't you just love her.  :laugh:  I'll post our 3 picks later.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: December 31, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »
The wife and I stayed in for new years and I made my veg. fried rice.  We got a bottle from Berkshire Brewery.  It's a Bourbon Barreled Aged Scotch Ale.  WOW!!  It packed a punch.  they don't tell you the avb's but I've got a good buzz on with food in my belly so you can take a stab that it is high.  Smokey, rich and a strong taste of alcohol are there with every sip.  Here's a link about the beer.  More to come!

https://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33/62660

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #579 on: December 31, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »
very nice way to kick things off :hat

I went to dinner with some family and ended up drinking a bottle of Brooklyn Local 1 all by my lonesome. Drinking a Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Stout now to bridge to the special bomber I have lined up for midnight
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: December 31, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
Love the #1 and #2 Bill

Next on the bill was Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout.  This......was........outstanding!!

It was paired with Ben and Jerry's Magic Brownies ice cream and it was to die for.  A whoping 11.0 ABV's with such a robust coffee flavor to it.  Here is the link to the beer.

https://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/40058

One more to go at midnight.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #581 on: December 31, 2010, 11:08:20 PM »
I'm imagining Choklat and  Ben & Jerry's Magic Brownies ice cream, and there' now noticeably less available real estate in my pants. I rung  in the new year with a bottle of Firestone Walker's 14th Anniversary blend. Firestone Walker is a brewery out in Cali that does some kind of barrel aging on all their beers, even if it's just a few days in giant oak barrels during primary fermentation for their pale ales. Starting with their 10th anniversary they began releasing anniversary blends, where they would bring in some local wine and beer experts to sample all  the different beers in different barrels they had laying around and collaborate on a blend of them for that year's beer. This year the blend includes, among others, an imperial stout, an American barleywine, an English barleywine, and a double IPA. It's without a doubt one of the best beers I've had in a long while.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: January 01, 2011, 06:48:49 AM »
The Mrs. and I were growning in pleasure like Homer J. Simpson having the Ben & Jerry's with the southern Tier. :laugh:

At the crack of midnight the wife and I had the Berkshire Dean’s Beans Coffeehouse Porter.  It was like drinking coffee beans.  I love the robust coffee flavor and very creamy.

https://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33/85/?ba=bros

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #583 on: January 03, 2011, 10:13:06 PM »
I grabbed a half liter bottle of Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen Weiss (not to be confused with the Brooklyn-Schneider Hopfen Weiss :lol) that went very nicely with grilled vegetable sandwich for dinner. Came home from the movies and cracked a 750 of Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence which, while not bad, is neither chocolaty nor... indulgenty.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #584 on: January 06, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
Tonight was a New Jersey Beer Company Abbey Single (decent), Anchor 2010 Our Special Ale (way overspiced winter warmer for my taste), and a year old Terrapin Wake n Bake (the coffee has definitely faded, but this one is drinking nicely I think). More importantly, I completed my trade for Imperial Stout Trooper and reorganized my cellar. Here's everything pulled out and ready to be counted and put back in place

https://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/axeman9182/Beer/DSC02938.jpg
Photobucket sucks.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #585 on: January 06, 2011, 10:28:13 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: January 07, 2011, 05:14:22 AM »
Tonight was a New Jersey Beer Company Abbey Single (decent), Anchor 2010 Our Special Ale (way overspiced winter warmer for my taste), and a year old Terrapin Wake n Bake (the coffee has definitely faded, but this one is drinking nicely I think). More importantly, I completed my trade for Imperial Stout Trooper and reorganized my cellar. Here's everything pulled out and ready to be counted and put back in place

https://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/axeman9182/Beer/DSC02938.jpg

This picture needs to be framed.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #587 on: January 07, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
yeah... when you work full time and have literally no expenses (live at home, no car, etc...) then there's lots of money left over for beer :D

191 bottles and counting, and that's after moving a couple bottles to my "drink in the immediate future" fridge. The whole list got reset yesterday

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoUS96bplKrmdHd3UGMyX3pVT0sxeEozSmFvWFNGTGc&hl=en&authkey=CKPru8UB
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #588 on: January 07, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #589 on: January 07, 2011, 02:44:16 PM »
:hefdaddy Thorny!
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: January 14, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »
Well.  Here is the menu for the tailgating at the Pats/Jets game.

Peak Organic Expresso Amber Ale
Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale

And the best for last,

Brooklyn Local #1

Game on!!!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #591 on: January 14, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »
I had a Ska Nefarious Ten Pin imperial porter the other night, which was quite yummy.

I'm also psyched because I picked up more Tommyknocker Hop Strike! Black Rye IPA, which I just fucking LOVE.

I also picked up two others that I can't remember at the moment.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #592 on: January 14, 2011, 10:36:44 PM »
went out and bought a bunch of beers with my cousin today. We then cracked a bottle each of Sierra Nevada Porter and Flying Fish American Trippel while watching Inception. Next stop was the Cloverleaf Tavern, one of the few decent beer bars in northern NJ. They have an MBA (Master's in Beer Appreciation) program where you need to complete a 45 beer checklist. I started in on that before suffering (not an exaggeration) through glasses of Stella Artois and Palm. I thought I was stepping up to good beer when I ordered a pint of Cricket Hill's Bourbon Barrel Porter, but it honestly tasted like a run of the mill porter with a bunch of shitty bourbon poured in. No smoothness/integration/complexity at all. I did manage to end on a high note with a glass of Rodenbach Grand Cru on tap, a very delicious sour. Other recent adventures include getting reviews down for fresh Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, Olde School Barleywine, and World Wide Stout, so I can track how I like each beer as it ages. Ingredients for my massive double IPA hop bomb should be in soon, hopefully I'll be brewing next weekend :D
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #593 on: January 15, 2011, 12:07:27 AM »
Oh man, I have one of those Cloverleaf MBA things but I've only had like 2-3 beers there and that was maybe 2 years ago. Wtf is Palm?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #594 on: January 15, 2011, 07:10:27 AM »
the Coors Light of Belgian Pale Ales
Photobucket sucks.