Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99032 times)

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »
heh idk, it's in a green bottle which has me wary to begin with and then it was outside in the sun for a few hours this morning. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt this time.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
heh idk, it's in a green bottle which has me wary to begin with and then it was outside in the sun for a few hours this morning. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt this time.

Alky beware. I woke up vomitting shrimp into my lap last time I drank it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
:lol yeah I took about a sip and drain poured it. Brooklyn Lager has been vanquished and now on to a Southern Tier 2xIPA
Photobucket sucks.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2010, 02:45:54 PM »
so here's the list for the rare beer tasting tonight at 7 I'll be going to. If you'll excuse me I need to go fap

2003 120 minute ipa
04 old guardian
05 old gaurdian
06 old gaurdian
rogue imperial pilsner 2007?
allagash victoria 2007?
fantome black ghost 2007
2001 aventinus
unibroue 2004
unibroue 2005
unibroue 11
2007 raison d'Xtra
2007 burton baton
08 zinnibir xmas
dfh forte
allagash four 2008?
06 ruination
05/05/05 stone vertical
06/06/06 stone vertical
alesmith holidale 07?
04 stone RIS
dfh malt liqour!
russian river consecration
1996 rogue russian imperial stout
1988 lees harvest ale
1994 thomas hardys
1996 harveys elizabethan ale
1996 synebrychof porter
1999 a le coq RIS
2000 a le coq RIS
1997 jw lees
1999 jw lees
1994 rogue old crusty
1997 gales prize old ale
1999 gales prize old ale
1999 fullers vinatge
01-02 brooklyn black chocolate
05-06 brooklyn black chocolate
various westy 8- years unknown
various westy 12- years unknown
victory v-12 2005
2007 peche mortel (first batch in US)
2008 mikkeler beer geek breakfast
dfh festina lente
cantillon iris 06
cantillon vigneronne 07
de ranke pere noel 06
stone 11th anni
2001 fullsail barleywine
drie fontienen- various vintages
2006 goose island matilda
2003 anchor christmas
southhampton imperial porter 2007
cisco baggywrinkle barleywine 07
2006 rogue RIS
2006 jopen koyt
dfh pangea 07
oud beersel- various
dfh golden shower 07?
2007 mikkeller santas little helper
dfh olde skool 07/08/09
06 duchesse
06 flemish primitive
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »
I don't drink, but my Dad does, and he just brought home some Blue Moon and is cumming all over the place talking about how it's the best beer he's ever had in his life.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »
well then you should tell him to pick up some Allagash White, and be sure to have him cover the furniture in plastic before he does
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
OMG, some rare vintage, ages beers!!!!! :metal  I expect a report by tommorow soldier!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2010, 04:30:58 PM »
Posting from Lord Hobo where I've just been poured a *gorgeous* .5L Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss to refresh me after the long trip here. I've got fries incoming to get some food in my stomach, and we're at T - minus 30 minutes until the epic starts :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »
so tonight's tasting went like this for me (in order)

Stone 05 VE
Dogfish Head 05 Olde School
Brooklyn Black Ops (I believe 07-08, it was in the 2 ring bottle that got discontinued shortly after Local 1's launch)
Dogfish Head 07 Burton Baton
01-02 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
05-06 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
2008 Allagash Four
2007 Allagash Victoria
Stone 06 VE
2003 Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
Cantillon 2007 Iris
Cantillon 2004 Grand Cru
Stone 2004 Old Guardian
Schneider 2001 Aventinus
Lees 1988 Harvest Ale
Westvleteren 8
99 Fuller's Vintage
Gueze Boon
Westvleteren 12
Portsmouth Kate the Great 2009

the word of the night is "oxidation", the wet cardboard taste you get in many vintage beers due to excess exposure to air. This taste can work either for (Westvleteren 8, '88 Harvest) or against (all 3 Brooklyn beers, disappointingly  enough) a beer. It's the reason some brewers coat the top of each bottle of a beer intended for cellaring with wax, and why some people with serious cellars coat all their beers in wax. Tonight I learned that I love vintage barleywines, the powerful hop bitterness and alcohol heat fades and you're left with a gooey, complex, caramel malty treat.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »
Hey Bill, how do you mail your beer? The last time Tony sent me some MH through UPS it came through without an issue but this time he got it back because of the contents... which I'm guessing required an x-ray to find because it was packaged really well, so not sure if there's a way around that besides finding a place that doesn't x-ray. I want my fuckin' 9  :censored :censored
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2010, 06:27:46 AM »
I've always sent it UPS and haven't had any issues in ~16 trades. I usually wrap each bottle 2-3 times around with bubble wrap (big bombers I wrap top/bottom halves separately), and then just use packing peanuts. I also set up a free account on UPS's website so I can generate the shipping label on my own (and low-ball the weight to save a few bucks :lol) and I literally just walk in a UPS store, drop the box on the counter, and go. If Tony's had a package sent back because they saw it was beer, I'd maybe recommend he either start using a different UPS location or FedEx because he might be red-flagged a little bit. Just as long as he doesn't use USPS (shipping beer is against the terms of service for UPS/FedEx, but technically it's a felony if done via USPS, even if they usually don't make a big deal about it).

on the other hand, there's probably enough good beer floating around Colorado that he doesn't need to send you any #9 in the first place :P
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2010, 08:07:20 AM »
DON'T JUDGE ME! I just need it once in a while  :P
(did just buy an interesting Tommyknocker variety pack that I can't wait to try)

Anyway thanks, I will definitely pass on that info. I don't think the way he sent it was much different (except he didn't print his own label) so I dunno, do you think they randomly x-ray or just certain places do it more? (go figure, the first time he sent it from Bayonne and it was fine, this time it was Medford :lol)

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »
I think it was definitely more just bad luck than anything, if UPS interference was at all common then I don't think there'd be such a vibrant beer trading community :lol I'd say for him to definitely start printing his own labels (cuts down on interaction with UPS staff and no reason to make them suspicious, and maybe avoid the store that was used the time he got nabbed

started tonight with one of my homebrews, plan on hitting a Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen Weiss next and then closing with a Uinta Anniversary Barley Wine that I received as an extra in a trade a while back. Lots of tasty beer for me tomorrow too while I make my second homebrew
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »
True. I will pass it on.

PS- WHERE IS MY HOMEBREW?  :P

Oh, and Tommyknocker Butthead is very sweet. Don't think I could drink more than one...

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »
heh, between my dissatisfaction with how the first batch turned out and my current lack of funds I don't see a package destined for Colorado leaving my apartment any time soon :P

Brewed batch two this afternoon (IPA) and enjoyed one of my homebrews, along  with an Ommegang Abbey Ale and a Pliny the Elder. After a brief respite and some dinner I plan on cracking the big bottle of Russian River Damnation currently living in my fridge
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
I had the Ommegang Abbey Ale  sunday night :tup  I'm stoping for a few bottles for game 7 tommorow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »
it really is phenomenal, spicy and a hint of dark fruits, possibly the best American made dubbel I've ever had.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2010, 08:23:42 PM »
My head was spinning after drinking that and the Rare Vos.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »
Rare Vos is quite good as well from what I remember, but it's been almost a year since I've had some. Hennepin is also a frontrunner within its style (saison), but Ommegang Witte (while good) is overshadowed by the superior Allagash White. I also had a glass of Ommegang BPA (new Belgian Pale Ale that got a limited release and is in consideration for inclusion in their year round lineup) that was quite good.
Photobucket sucks.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2010, 10:45:52 PM »
moved on to the Uinta Anniversary barley wine that I didn't make it to the other night. Total malt bomb, but damn tasty (caramel covered fruit).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
Btw Bill, do you have a scale you use for shipping?

And all of those sound wonderful. I had a couple of Boulder beers today (Hazed and Infused and Mojo, both yummy and hoppy). I asked a guy for directions home tonight from the light rail (just moved into a new place and confused) and ended up walking with him because we're sort of neighbors and he paid for my six pack of Monty Python's Holy Ail or Grail Ail or whatever you call it. Not sure if it will be any good but I had to get it... and it ended up being free. That guy rocks.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »
I just bought some Blue Moon Honey Summer Ale last weekend..and its just mediocre..nothing special, would not recommend
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2010, 01:17:22 PM »
I just bought some Blue Moon Honey Summer Ale last weekend..and its just mediocre..nothing special, would not recommend

I agree. Their standard offering(Belgian White) is a bit better than any of their seasonal offerings as far as I'm concerned. Rising Moon(a spring ale{whatever the fuck that really means anyway}) is one of the five-at-most beers I've ever bought that weren't produced for the "megabrew" crowd (Bud, Coors, Miller, Natty, Steel Reserve, etc.) that I actually had trouble finishing. By the third one I was so hesitant to fight the good fight that it warmed completely and I had to pour it down the drain and I usually am man(i.e. alky) enough to finish even the crappiest of beers as long as they're even a nano-degree north of room temperature.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »
When Blue Moon first came out, their beers had character. Now they all taste the same.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »
When Blue Moon first came out, their beers had character. Now they all taste the same.

My guess(not that I've thought this through all that much) is that they probably use a similar array of hops/barley in most of their brews and just change out a couple things from beer to beer much in the way I've suspected Saranac of doing with their lagers and other lighter-colored selections. Saranac's darker brews on the other hand have been pretty okay in my book especially the Pale Pale Ale(yes two "pales" :lol) and the Maple Porter.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »

My guess(not that I've thought this through all that much) is that they probably use a similar array of hops/barley in most of their brews and just change out a couple things from beer to beer much in the way I've suspected Saranac of doing with their lagers and other lighter-colored selections. Saranac's darker brews on the other hand have been pretty okay in my book especially the Pale Pale Ale(yes two "pales" :lol) and the Maple Porter.

Saranac is a great example. I find Sam Adams in that same boat.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »

Saranac is a great example. I find Sam Adams in that same boat.

Very true. The only Sam Adams I have been bowled over by have been Octoberfest, Cherry Wheat, and Black Lager. The Octoberfest was easily in my alltime top 5 when I first had it in '03 but my lord have the year-to-year inconsistencies sucked the life out of that one over time. The Black Lager though was fantastic when I first tried it while watching Score the day of its release...ahhh meh-muh-reeeez  :)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2010, 02:29:19 PM »

I agree. Their standard offering(Belgian White) is a bit better than any of their seasonal offerings as far as I'm concerned. Rising Moon(a spring ale{whatever the fuck that really means anyway}) is one of the five-at-most beers I've ever bought that weren't produced for the "megabrew" crowd (Bud, Coors, Miller, Natty, Steel Reserve, etc.) that I actually had trouble finishing. By the third one I was so hesitant to fight the good fight that it warmed completely and I had to pour it down the drain and I usually am man(i.e. alky) enough to finish even the crappiest of beers as long as they're even a nano-degree north of room temperature.

I agree 100%!!!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
When the Honey Porter from Sam adams first came out it was dark, robust and it tickled the taste buds.  Years later they brought it back in a mixed 12 pack, I took a sip and it didn't even taste like a porter!!

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2010, 11:22:56 PM »
I had a sixer of the honey porter back in the fall and was extremely underwhelmed.

So today was the first of three epic beer days... I was on a pub crawl all afternoon with the founder/brewer of Pretty Things, the brewmaster from New Belgium out in CO, and some other cool people. I tried to limit myself to one beer per stop to pace myself and ended up having

Pretty Things Saint Botolph's Town (cask ale)- Spicy, tasty brown ale that is one of the few beers I've had that works for me on cask. Only problem was the bar (in downtown Boston) charging $10 a glass :tdwn

Duvel Green- The tap version of Duvel, this one seemed a little bit watered down/lacking in flavor compared to what I'm used to from a Duvel.

Pretty Things Field Mouse's Farewell- Split a bottle with two other people. This really is a superbly crafter beer, excellent balance in flavor between the rye, wheat, and hops.

Mayflower Summer Rye- Spicy, tasty, and at 3.8% ABV ridiculously drinkable.

Saint Botolph's Town- Last stop of the tour proper (celebrating Saint Botolph's Day), so I felt it was only appropriate to close with it. We then proceeded to join the American Craft Beer Fest a block down, where I indulged in...

Stone/Victory/Dogfish Head Saison du BUFF- Not a bad beer, but the board just said "Stone Saison", so I was expecting more of a traditional saison and wasn't in the mood for the sage/rosemary that heavily spice this beer.

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout- If it wasn't for all the other people in the bar, I would have done immoral things to this beer. Just as magical as it was on tap a few weeks ago

Allagash Curieux- You called it king, phenomenal beer. Very tasty, and the bourbon barrel influence was magnificently understated.

Pretty Things Baby Tree- I :heart quads, so rich and malty and complex. The fact that this one is brewed with plums certainly doesn't hurt either.

Tomorrow I report in a 2pm to help set up for the Friday night session of the festival, I'll be reporting in early tomorrow with the list of beers I'll be targeting
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2010, 08:07:19 AM »
That Allagash Curieux was just the right touch of flavor. It was one of those "wow" moments sipping it. And thanks for the visual of you with the Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout.  All I can picture is you in a corner of the bar googling the beer. :D

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
too lazy to list all the beers I was interested in, but highlights from last night include

Allagash Victor, a beer brewed with some red grapes and wine yeast, the vinous character gave the beer a hint of acidity that was pretty cool

Sam Adams Kosmic Mother Funk - Straight gueze style sour that shows SA can still make a hell of a beer when they want. I'll be going back tomorrow for more since this is the only chance I'll get to have it

Brewery Ommegang Ommegeddon - Wild Ale that was tasty, heavier on the funk than the sourness

Cambridge Brewing Company The Colonel - Wild, barrel aged porter, which seems like a really weird combination, but was *delicious*

about to head out for back to back volunteering at both sessions :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ogrejedi

• DT.net Veteran
  • Run, run or you'll be well-done!
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
You can't beat Newcastle Brown for a macro IMO. It's more refreshing than water. But I hope to soon have money for micros again.
"Who are these swine? These flag-sucking half-wits who get fleeced and fooled by stupid little rich kids like George Bush? They are the same ones who wanted to have Muhammad Ali locked up for refusing to kill gooks. They speak for all that is cruel and stupid and vicious in the American character. They are the racists and hate mongers among us; they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss down the throats of these Nazis. And I am too old to worry about whether they like it or not. Fuck them."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »
Bill, I desperately need a list of as many of your favorite beers as possible since I'm heading to a beer emporium to stock up. Here are some requests:

-pale ales
-saisons(never had one and based on your constant smileing over them I'm more than intrigued)
-smoked beer if you've had any
-gueuze(really wanna try out)
-IPA
-trippels(never had yet, curious to see if there are any with notes of plum or cherry[not like a lambic but as in a subtle hint])
-barley wines

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »
Bill, I desperately need a list of as many of your favorite beers as possible since I'm heading to a beer emporium to stock up. Here are some requests:

-pale ales
-saisons(never had one and based on your constant smileing over them I'm more than intrigued)
-smoked beer if you've had any
-gueuze(really wanna try out)
-IPA
-trippels(never had yet, curious to see if there are any with notes of plum or cherry[not like a lambic but as in a subtle hint])
-barley wines

I hope you've got some bills in that wallet BF for the heaven you will enter.  You should check out the Beer Advocate web page. It's the best.