Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99206 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2010, 11:40:15 AM »
If you're going to the Outer Banks you *need* to go here https://www.chipswinemarket.com/ It's right on the main highway there and they have a giant beer wall of over 400 bottles that they sell as singles. When I go down with my family every summer I end up there at least 2-3 times that week and end up bringing a case or two home with me :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2010, 11:42:25 AM »
If you're going to the Outer Banks you *need* to go here https://www.chipswinemarket.com/ It's right on the main highway there and they have a giant beer wall of over 400 bottles that they sell as singles. When I go down with my family every summer I end up there at least 2-3 times that week and end up bringing a case or two home with me :lol

My brother visits his wifes cousin every year there. I 'll pass it on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2010, 11:45:47 AM »
I know they get Terrapin beers as well as Bell's (neither of which make it to the northeast), probably Sweetwater too. I'm not too well versed with some of the smaller southeast breweries though.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2010, 04:44:45 PM »
I had my first Harppon Imperial Red last night and WOW did it pack a bold flavor.  I must make a trek(nerd can't himself) to VT for lunch and more of this!!

Harpoon Imperial Red Ale is a feast for the senses. This deep amber beer has an intense hop flavor that balances with the complex caramel character derived from the use of seven different malts. The fruity esters of the yeast blend perfectly with the citrusy aroma of the dry hops. This full bodied beer is one to be savored slowly.

Original Release: February 2010

BEER SPECIFICATIONS 
Style:
 Imperial Red
Original Gravity:
Alcohol by Volume:
 9.2%
IBU’S:
Recommended Serving Temperature 50-54° F
Color:
 40 EBC
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »
Just tried Sam Adams Double Bock from their Imperial series and I can confidently say that its only redeeming value is that at 9.5% abv I can at least clean a wound with it since as soon as I finish my 4-pack I'll probably never have it again since it tasted as harsh as Samichlaus which is 14%.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
sounds good king, I haven't had many reds

Just tried Sam Adams Double Bock from their Imperial series and I can confidently say that its only redeeming value is that at 9.5% abv I can at least clean a wound with it since as soon as I finish my 4-pack I'll probably never have it again since it tasted as harsh as Samichlaus which is 14%.

never had either beer, though I usually hear good things about Samichlaus (I think people tend to age that for a few years to let it mellow out first though).

the initial beer list for the American Craft Beer Fest went up today

https://beeradvocate.com/acbf/beer

over 400 beers, I won't know where to start :caffeine:

I just polished off a bottle of Sweet Water Big Ol' Belgian Blue Balls... the name was the best part of this beer :lol I'm a bout to have a Stone/Victory/Dogfish Head collaboration, Saison du Buff (seasoned with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme) with dinner :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »
had a Festina Peche, something nice and light while I was straightening up. Now I'm drinking a De Struise Black Albert, big Belgian stout, not really sure what to make of it yet
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2010, 11:29:29 AM »
I just bought some Purple Haze for the first time.  I 'll have it with the bacon burgers(already mixed in the meat) I bought today.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2010, 09:53:59 PM »
haven't tried any of Abita's beers yet. I started the day with a saison double play, Ommegang Hennepin and then my homebrew. Tonight was Bill checks out Mikkeller night, they're a European brewery that doesn't have a brewhouse of their own, but rather go from brewery to brewery brewing their beers like gypsies :lol First I had their imperial IPA 1000 IBU (IBU, or international bittering unit, is a measure of the amount of compounds in a beer that contribute to bitterness. ~12 is supposed to be the lower threshold for human perception, and supposedly 100 is the max for what we can differentiate. Lab work can calculate exact IBU #s, but most time brewers rely on formulas to estimate IBUs. As the bitterness rises the formulas begin to drastically overshoot the IBUs, a formula value 0f 240 may turn out to be 85 according to a lab. As the name suggests, this beer has 1000 theoretical IBUs). It was pretty good, surprising amount of malt presence, and not as bitter as I was expecting. Now I'm just finishing Beer Geek Brunch Weasel (oatmeal coffee imperial stout, made with this coffee https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak). This is a damn good beer, and if I hadn't had a borderline religious experience with Kentucky Breakfast Stout over the weekend I'd probably be raving about this beer more.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »
When's Boston Beer Society: The Sequel?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2010, 09:59:45 PM »
good question, you going to the DT show in Worcester?
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2010, 05:58:35 AM »
good question, you going to the DT show in Worcester?

We need to get there early and knock a few down. Then meet up with the others at the irish bar.  BTW axe, the purple haze was a very good summer drink.  Very light with just the right touch of raspberry.  Though, reading your post about the oatmeal stout peaked my intrest.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »
Yeah, adding oats/oatmeal to the grain bill doesn't really add anything in the way of a flavor that I can notice, but it gives the beer a uniquely silky smooth mouthfeel. Samuel Smith's makes an oatmeal stout that's pretty damn good.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
I had a pretty disappointing oatmeal stout at a brewery called The Library in Laramie, WY the other day. It wasn't BAD, but eh. Tony's porter was better.

Went to three breweries in Fort Collins Friday.

New Belgium is like the BIG one around here; Fat Tire is on tap everywhere and most places have some of their other stuff, too. Tried their trippel, abbey and Mothership organic wheat. Surprisingly, I liked the wheat the best, followed by the abbey and then the trippel. All pretty good, but this was the most underwhelming of the breweries. This also goes for the general atmosphere, because the place is too damn big and corporate. We were told by a tour guide (we didn't take a tour because you have to book about a month in advance) that we weren't supposed to be outside on the brewery grounds by ourselves (we were just walking around one side of the building in a parking lot).

Odell was next, where we tried Doug's Wild Rice Ale (yummy), Dortmunder (not bad), Snowriders Ale (I honestly don't remember much about this one so not incredible), Town Pump Pail Ale (not bad), Nitro IPA (pretty good, although I have suddenly developed an occasional intolerance for IPAs, which was kicking in), and last but not least Cutthroat Porter and Nitro Cutthroat Porter... this stuff is awesome! We could not figure out if we liked the nitro or regular version better, but we got pints of both after sampling.

Last was Ft. Collins brewery, which was our favorite. Sampled Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat (also surprisingly good for a wheat, and the pomegranate flavor was subtle but there), 1900 Amber (don't remember much about this one, was a bit tipsy), Retro Red (I liked this one, interesting), Rocky Mountain IPA (eh, nothing special), Z Lager (yummy), chocolate stout (not the best chocolate stout I've had, but yummy), Colorado Common Steam Beer (very good) and Kidd Lager, which was awesome (I even bought a shirt).
It was all kind of a blur and I don't remember enough to go into more detail about any of them but a lot of fun and some great beers and breweries  :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2010, 06:12:45 AM »
so last night was a Pretty Things night... First I had my last bomber of Fluffy White Rabbits, a hoppy tripel that was their spring seasonal this year. It was damn tasty, just like a traditional Belgian tripel and then it finished with a burst of citrus hop flavor. I followed that with Field Mouse's Farewell, a late spring/early summer seasonal. This beer's a bit hard to classify style wise, but the grain bill includes barley, oats, wheat, and rye. I was a little apprehensive because I'm not a fan of beers with big rye flavor, but the rye played a supporting role in this one and it worked out well.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2010, 08:00:59 AM »
Last night before the Rush Doc we wnt to the Grill Next Door in Haverhill Ma.

https://www.thegrillnextdoor.net/

I had the Dupont Saison.  It had a very nice peppery taste to it then I finnished off a Berkshire Coffeehouse Porter Nitro.  What a way to finish the meal.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2010, 02:23:33 PM »
ya know it's funny... I love saisons and even made my first homebrew a saison, and Saison Dupont really is considered *the saison*, the benchmark against which all others in the style are measured, and I've never had it :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2010, 08:24:05 PM »
ya know it's funny... I love saisons and even made my first homebrew a saison, and Saison Dupont really is considered *the saison*, the benchmark against which all others in the style are measured, and I've never had it :lol

I'm shocked you never had it!!!!!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
Tonight I got a sixer each of Harpoon IPA and Sweet Water 420 Pale Ale. Apparently New Belgium's Ranger IPA has thoroughly ruined me on ales for the time being since nothing I've tried alewise has been even close to it in terms of flavor/quality/nuance/mouthfeel.

The Sweet Water 420 tasted more reminiscent of a Belgian blond mixed with the nearly-savory richness I notice in quality porters but without the actual fullness of a porter(good thing since it's a pale ale  :P ) As for Harpoon IPA, I'd say I like it a little better than the 420 but still nothing that causes crimson to race to my man-vessel. It has a distant piny-ness that is one of my absolute favorite flavor notes that I find in beer especially since my alltime fave, Redhook's Winterhook, is dripping with it. All in all, pretty good but not something I'd pass over Guinness or any of my other supermarket staples for.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »

I'm shocked you never had it!!!!!

me too, the problem is that I've literally never seen it on tap, and I only see the big bottles of it and not the 12 oz version, and it only comes in green glass bottles. Basically brown > green > clear when it comes to bottles preventing beer from skunking (seriously, the whole put a lime in a Corona thing was started by the brewer because the lime helped mask the taste of skunked beer), and even though I'm probably exaggerating the risk, I just haven't felt like dropping the cash on a huge bottle of beer that might well be no good :lol

tonight me and a couple buddies each had a bottle of my homebrew (I'm alarmed that I'm hearing stuff like "citrusy" and "reminds me of Magic Hat" when that's not at all the style of beer I set out to make, nor is it in the flavor profile I've noticed thusfar :lol We then split a bottle of  Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace, which I think I've touched on before, but this year's bottled version doesn't quite live up the the first batch from last summer which was draft only because the bottles are bottle conditioned with champagne yeast, which leaves the beer with more carbonation that, to me, blunts some of the flavors trying to come true.

The only Sweet Water beer I've had is their Big Ol' Belgian Blue Balls, a big blueberry fruit beer, that was average at best. I hear good things about them though, and I still have a bomber of their quad as well as a one liter bottle ( :eek) of their Happy Ending stout.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »
epic mail day today, received ingredients for my second brew (something between an IPA and an imperial IPA) and a Russian River care package from the west coast (4x Pliny the Elder, Consecration, big bottle of Damnation). Can't wait to dive in after class tonight :D
Photobucket sucks.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2010, 03:32:07 PM »
epic mail day today, received ingredients for my second brew (something between an IPA and an imperial IPA) and a Russian River care package from the west coast (4x Pliny the Elder, Consecration, big bottle of Damnation). Can't wait to dive in after class tonight :D

Is it less heavy than that brewery's other brews?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2010, 03:51:55 PM »
it's not super light (7.75% ABV) in terms of alcohol, but it's probably their most accessible brew if I had to guess (though I've never had it), since it's a straightforward Belgian Strong Golden Ale, and pretty much everything else they make is either really hoppy or sour :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Well Axe, I stoped at a little srore on the way home for a few beers for tonights game.  I'm going over my friends house again who has the movie theater we watch it on and the was a beer tasting going on for Allagash :)

I was very happy but I realy had a smile on my face when I tried there Curieux!!  It's a Tripel Ale  aged in Jim Beam barrels for 8 weeks. It was unbelievable!!  Then I tried  there Allagash Black. It's a Belguim Stout!!  What did I say!??  It was so damn unique. I loved it.

So I went on to try 4 more beers.  It added up to 10 oz(almost a free beer ;D) and I bougth there Tripel Reserve for tonight.  But wait!!  I found a new beer I have never tried!!  Widmer Brothers(Red Hook) made a Prickly Pear Braggot!! So yea, I'm all win tonight(Celtics you better make my post come true)!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »
Allagash is hit and miss with me... Allagash White is pretty much the American interpretation of a Belgian Wit (and damn good), and I thought Allagash Four was a phenomenal quad. I wasn't as big of a fan of the Black, I think I remember it being a little chalky for my taste, and I thought their Dubbel paled in comparison to the Ommegang take on the style I had had a few days  prior. The Curieux does intrigue me, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet, and my other problem with them is that most of their big bottles are $16+ which is a little pricey for my budget :lol

I started tonight with a Festina Peche as I relaxed for a few minutes after class and cooked dinner. Then it was time for my first Pliny the Elder in far too long. I'll defer to my Beer Advocate review to sum it up...

Glad to crack a beer of this caliber for my 50th review, and cheers to psiweaver for the May 12th 2010 bottle. The beer pours a burnt orange in my Duvel tulip, with a frothy, 3 finger off white head quickly forming and lingering. The lacing is decent, but just a bit short of earning a 5 for appearance. A pungent hop aroma is present even as I pour, and grapefruit, pineapple, and bitter orange peels are appreciable. Each sip leads off with the briefest of flashes of bready and caramel malt sweetness, before a shotgun blast of hop bitterness asserts itself. This fades into a more citrus hop flavor, largely pineapple and grapefruit. If the hop bitterness vs flavor balance was tipped a little bit more towards flavor Pliny would get a 5, but it's not quite there. Carbonation is high, but to good effect as it helps highlight all the juicy hop goodness, and I'm surprised at how creamy the mouthfeel is given the relative lack of malt presence. I wouldn't expect to notice much alcohol at 8%, but I don't find any at all as I sip on Pliny, and it's so damn tasty that it's a struggle to stop and savor this despite the bitterness. Truly world class, and the template against which all DIPAs should be measured.

Just draining my glass of the last of it now, and there's a Brooklyn BCS and some ice cream in my imminent future.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2010, 10:27:05 PM »
Don't you just love the citrus smell of effervescence!! bTW I am buzzed tonight those 2 bottles killed me. Damn. ;D

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »
had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that went well with my dinner out at a bar tonight, and now I have been nursing (and will continue to for a while) Sweetwater's Dank Tank BSP Quad, which is quite tasty.
Photobucket sucks.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2010, 06:18:57 AM »
had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that went well with my dinner out at a bar tonight, and now I have been nursing (and will continue to for a while) Sweetwater's Dank Tank BSP Quad, which is quite tasty.

I wasn't blown away by it when I first tried it some eight years ago but like an indie band bound for top40 limelight it has worked its way into my alltime top 20 with a vengence over the last few years.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2010, 07:27:38 AM »
funny enough, this was only my second time having it. It's definitely tasty, and it was awesome with my chicken tenderloins in a spicy white wine and garlic sauce, but I didn't really get a chance to focus on the beer as I was with my family in a noisy restaurant.
Photobucket sucks.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
I haven't had a chance to read the second coming of this beer thread but I will now, while enjoying my Newcastle.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »
so yesterday was my sister's graduation party and I proceeded to mow through all or part of four bottles of homebrew, a Pliny the Elder, aSouthern Tier 2xIPA (very tasty), and Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen (not bad, but I'm gonna have to give this one another show). Good times all in all :hat Not sure what I'm gonna crack tonight, and then tomorrow starts Boston Beer Week for me :caffeine:
Photobucket sucks.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »
so yesterday was my sister's graduation party and I proceeded to mow through all or part of four bottles of homebrew, a Pliny the Elder, aSouthern Tier 2xIPA (very tasty), and Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen (not bad, but I'm gonna have to give this one another show). Good times all in all :hat Not sure what I'm gonna crack tonight, and then tomorrow starts Boston Beer Week for me :caffeine:

Dude, do you sell weed to afford your beer escapades?!  :laugh:

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »
:lol no I just don't have much else that I spend money on. I cracked a Kellerweis when I got home from my group meeting, which was a very solid hefe but just a little too highly carbonated for my taste. I think a Yuengling is next.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
Yuengling was skunked, moved on to a Brooklyn Lager. It's always interesting to come back and drink a beer I've had casually a bunch and really focus on it and force myself to review it.
Photobucket sucks.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2010, 07:38:16 PM »
Yuengling was skunked, moved on to a Brooklyn Lager. It's always interesting to come back and drink a beer I've had casually a bunch and really focus on it and force myself to review it.

After a few trial runs I feel qualified to tell you it ain't skunked, that's how it actually tastes...like the wringings from a saturated gym sock...nothing more nothing less.