Your stance

For
3 (8.6%)
Against
24 (68.6%)
Indifferent
8 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Organized Religion  (Read 5807 times)

Offline j

Re: Organized Religion
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »
I'm against all religion, organized or otherwise.  Too much time, money and lives being wasted on unproven theories and ideas.  I think I'll just be spiritual instead.

Haha good one.

Is this sarcasm or are you agreeing? Spiritual != Religion.

Spiritual beliefs aren't based on "unproven theories and ideas"?
That's kind of what had my head spinning as well.

One can be spiritual without religion, take for instance the hippie who goes out into the forest and meditates and tries to be one with nature; or the martial artist that attempts to perfect his technique to the point of of a higher awareness. Religion does not hold the monopoly on spirituality, far too often this is confused. Religion can be a part of spirituality but spirituality is not necessarily part of religion.

No.  The hippie's behavior is still affected by his "spirituality" (whatever the hell that is) as his actions indicate, thus he is religious in a sense.  The attempt to distinguish between these two terms is one of the dumbest phenomena I've recently encountered.  I can only guess that people do it to try to distance themselves from the stigmas associated with primary *mainstream* Western religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam).

Here's a question: What the hell does it even mean to be "spiritual?" I honestly don't know.

Also this.

-J

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
No.  The hippie's behavior is still affected by his "spirituality" (whatever the hell that is) as his actions indicate, thus he is religious in a sense.  The attempt to distinguish between these two terms is one of the dumbest phenomena I've recently encountered.  I can only guess that people do it to try to distance themselves from the stigmas associated with primary *mainstream* Western religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam).

Wanting to be closer to nature, having a sense of bliss, perhaps bringing about an inner peace. That is not by default religion, sure similar affects can be brought about by religion but they are not one and the same. As for the Marital Artists example, I for one have experienced an inner peace, through attempts at technique perfection. Through kata, I have gained a heightened awareness and have felt as though time as begun to slow down. This is not religion, this is what happens when the body is focused. Unfortunately it has been given a name which far too often is equated with only with religion. Spiritualism is more a state of mind than anything.   

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »
spiritual at its root is the idea of things related to the spirit.  spirit (in Scripture, at least) was the term for "air in motion."  the implication is those things that are immaterial, invisible and yet powerful.  the concept of scripture is that there are two worlds:  the flesh (which is what we see, hear, feel) and that there is another world, the spiritual (immaterial, invisible and yet powerful).  The god of Scripture is spirit, hence reigns in this spiritual world.  religion (at its best, though often failing) is an attempt to combine those of flesh with the world of the spirit.

Offline UnutterableSquid

• Squiddus Maximus
  • Eddie, what took you so long?
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 11:00:52 PM »
I have no problem with organized religion in the sense of it as merely a play for community and worship.

I do have a problem when organized religion gets aggressively political or prejudiced.

So, basically, if it maintains the core concepts of belief and serves as a place primarily for prayer as opposed to policy, then I'm for it.

That said, I do not think that organized religion is a replacement for personal faith. Simply being part of a church does not make you faithful.

The Final Frontier - August 16th, 2010

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 12:05:45 AM »
well said

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 05:53:51 AM »
Agreed. Personal faith for me is the sole reason for belief. Church is the community aspect. Church is not my reason for Christianity...many people don't see that. Although I enjoy attending and being a part of it. Oh and playing drums in worship is awesome too  :biggrin:

So playing drums is organized religion?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 10:10:26 AM »
Religion and the church exist for the purpose of community and encouraging/converting others to join that particular community.  The missionary's sole purpose is to spread and communicate a specific belief so that others may know and eventually follow.

Spirituality is more on a personal and private level, exclusive to one's self.  It is a state of mind that has no rules or guidelines.  It could also be considered the freedom to think for one's self and draw one's own conclusions based on the awareness of nature and universe.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »
I know, you guys are just talking about different things.

This seems to be happening in a lot of topics lately.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Vivace

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 07:52:51 AM »
Three, we believe the impact organized religion has on the world is more negative than positive.

Discuss.

False. It is more positive than negative. The problem is that the media fails to acknowledge the good that organized religions do. Lots of Hospitals were founded by religious groups. Religious people are 25 percentage points more likely than secularists to donate money (91 percent to 66 percent) and 23 points more likely to volunteer time (67 percent to 44 percent). Organized religion is in fact more positive on society than negative.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 08:55:31 AM »
Three, we believe the impact organized religion has on the world is more negative than positive.

Discuss.

False. It is more positive than negative. The problem is that the media fails to acknowledge the good that organized religions do. Lots of Hospitals were founded by religious groups. Religious people are 25 percentage points more likely than secularists to donate money (91 percent to 66 percent) and 23 points more likely to volunteer time (67 percent to 44 percent). Organized religion is in fact more positive on society than negative.

Would you categorize Europeans as violently forcing their religion onto native Ameri-Indians on both continents as "positive"?